Saturday 8 December 2007

Jake's Giant Leap, and Jake and Zodiac make the lists

After the excitement of the last day or two, there's some catching up to do today. Not least of which is the suggestion that the Moon Project - my own personal favourite among the films Jake Gyllenhaal has in store for us over the next couple of years - has a new name. How long it will last as the name is anyone's guess, as it's not particularly original, but I suppose it has a better ring to it than Unnamed Moon Project (or UNP). Accoring to the New York Times, we can now call UNP Giant Leap. In the absence of a suitable Moon Giant Leap Project photo, one from the days of Moon Light Mile must do.


Jake and Zodiac on the 2007 lists

Coming to the end of the year as we are, this means we are entering the season of lists. Jake is on a couple of them. Empire has listed its 100 Sexiest Movie Stars and at No 32 is our own Jake looking very much like he should be No 1. 'That cheeky smile, those sleepy eyes, that difficult-to-pronounce surname… There’s some damn fine genes in that there Gyllenhaal family. With those classic good looks and impressive acting chops, there’s little wonder his fans refer to themselves as "Gyllenhaalics".' So we get a mention as well. It also includes a reference, yet again, to the Paul Newman story. To see this story from a slightly different perspective, have a look at this little Celebrity Fact or Fiction video from MSN.


The No 1 spot is occupied by one Angelina Jolie while No 2 is Brothers' Natalie Portman. Daniel Craig is the highest placing sexy man at No 3. A little odd finding Hermione, or Emily Watson aged just 17, on the list at No 26.

The University of Calgary's Gauntlet magazine has listed its top 10 movies of the year. No 3 is Zodiac: 'Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. anchor an excellent investigative piece into the identity and motivations of the infamous Zodiac killer that terrorized California's Bay Area during the 1960s. Based on a book on the subject written by Robert Graysmith (played in the film by Gyllenhaal), Zodiac maintains suspense despite the outcome being known to everyone with a library card or access to Wikipedia.' No 2 is 3:10 to Yuma and the No 1 is No Country for Old Men.


Zodiac's musical montage over blankness

The Guardian today has a feature on Randall Poster who has been responsible for compiling the soundtracks for such films as Heath Ledger's latest I'm Not There and Zoolander. He also worked on Zodiac and this is what he has to say about one particular 'blank' scene, which has now made it onto the special Director's edition, to, I think it's fair to say, a mixed reception. Fortunately, we don't have long to wait to see it ourselves.


'I've worked on movies that are $1m or less, up to budgets of over $100m. They always clip my budgets, so I never have enough. In the original cut of David Fincher's Zodiac we worked on a musical montage sequence that would cover the passing of time, during the 1970s. We worked on that a long time. It was fun to do, and it was fun to scare the studio into thinking we were gonna spend $2m on a montage of music over a black screen. We did it so many different ways, with so many different songs, but it was more like a parlour game. I remember at a certain point we were building towards the disco era. I don't know what Fincher did with it, or whether it'll be on the DVD, but it was fun to torture the studio with it.'


Includes pictures from IHJ.

20 comments:

Christie said...

No.32 for Jake is a travesty. He didn't even make it into the Top 10!!

I have to say though that the pic of Jake at No. 32 is just gorgeous. And for some reason I had this real need to watch the scene in Jarhead when Swoff loses it with Fergus, after the Christmas Eve fireworks disaster. And then I watched the following scene when Troy gets Swoff to apologise to Fergus....emotional stuff in the desert.

That had nothing to do with Jake being number 32 but just had to share.

As for UMP being named "Giant Leap", I think it will take a while to grow on me. I was hoping it would be called "Whole of the moon" so they could have that said song by The Waterboys as the title song on the sountrack!!

It is so very depressing here, raining non-stop and dark like it's night time. Very gloomy.

Anonymous said...

kudos to you, Kate. I love your up to date info on Jake's career. He should be #1 on all the lists, imho

And I am hoping that Zodiac will be on some award lists. The Golden Globe awards are due to be announced this coming Thurs. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Jake or at least the movie will be on it. I am not hopeful for Rendition. Between the two I liked Zodiac more

Linda (Trekfan)

Anonymous said...

eight a.m. in Santa Fe, 42 degrees F and overcast, snow in the mountains. good day to drive to Ojo Caliente and soak in the hot mineral springs.

snow ice and overcast also in Western MA. Im in no mood to think of Jake on the moon. Would rather think of Jake washin' red mud off his bod, slippin' into a warm pool -

chillinwitgyllen said...

Morning everyone.

What's wrong with these people, Jake has so much more sex appeal then the others mentioned. Such a crime.

Can't wait to share the vid if I can only get it to WDW, I'm trying to reformat it so it's more user friendly. My husband's going to help me with it. I didn't really meet him but he stopped right in front of me, looked at me, gave me his Jake smile and Hollywood wave. The moment seemed like it lasted a lifetime but the video says only seconds, that moment was very special.

WDW have a good travel, hope it's interesting (perhaps another Stephen reading? ) I'm rather nosy aren't I?

Ski weekend for me, hope everyone has a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hey CWG - this should be accompanied by yodels :) :)

"I care not if government taxes
Take everything else that I own;
Two hickory boards and some waxes;
And I’m free in the mountains alone.

If death finally finds me in spring;
Inscribe on my tomb what I sing.

[chorus]
Two boards upon cold powder snow, yo ho!
What else does a girl need to know?
Two boards upon cold powder snow, yo ho!
What else does a girl need to know?

:) :)

have a great weekend!

Iggy said...

Well, wherever it is you are travelling WDW...I hope you had better weather than we had here on the outskirts of London...I thought the heavens themselves had opened! Dreary, wet and dark all day..

But Jake at No.32 in a sexy list? ...Well you have to laugh don't you? I did - and talking of laughing...that Fact or Fiction vid...when they had Jake's head in the car with the Santa Hat on it looked so funny!

chillinwitgyllen said...

Pia, love it!! I promise to yodel my first run in honor of you and this fantastic poem. I'll yodel
'PIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' all the way down the mountain, you must learn not to tempt me :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

hi all! What's going on with the weather? It's vile! I'm on my phone, up north visiting my mum - so thought i'd see my own parent, having seen jake's! Back in the morning. It's insane jake is no 32 but it's a mad world. Thanks pia for santa fe news and poetry. I'll be back later - i'm going to watch jake on ellen with mum now - she's in for a treat! Wrap up!

Anonymous said...

The above song, btw,“Zwa Brettl” (Bavarian for “Two Boards”)apparently goes way back to WWII ski troopers, from what countries I dont know. I should credit song lyrics, Ive got a head full of 'em, none my own.




















The song, by the way, Typically on these hut trips, we spend our days exploring the nearby terrain, practicing telemark turns, and, one year, building an igloo and a ski jump. In the evenings we often sing, a warm fire crackling in the background. Somehow skiing and singing just seem to go well together. Norwegian jumpers sing (or used to), Swiss alpinists yodel, and our World War II ski troops were famous for their songs. One song the ski troopers sang and we ski hutters still sing is “Zwa Brettl” (Bavarian for “Two Boards”). In 1938, Ric’s brother David, himself an occasional hutter, wrote an English translation that is still the accepted version. Ignoring that the song might sound chauvinistic today, we believe it will resonate with anyone who, like us, has enjoyed a lifetime of skiing and singing. The words to the final stanza are particularly poignant:

Anonymous said...

p.s. sorry for mess up on previous post, the tail end pasted from a google entry in the interest of giving credit for lyrics. can one delete posts to correct? I assume not.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

blogger's repeating my comments now! Watching jarhead with mum now. I'm winning her over. How are you all doing? What's going on in santa fe?

Anonymous said...

It was a poll on the Empire site last month to vote for your sexiest movie star, I should have posted it somewhere but forgot to also there are a couple of seperate sightings of Jake and Reese in San Francisco yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Jeff Wells of Hollywood Elsewhere has named Zodiac his film of the year.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2007/12/ten_best_of_200.php

Wet Dark and Wild said...

thanks anons - wouldn't mind being in san fran myself right now! That's great about Jeff Wells. He's done so much good for zodiac.

Anonymous said...

Go Jeff Wells, he was always a big supporter for this film. :)

WTD, thanks for your regular updates, it's very appreciated. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! If you hear a little squeak of glee, that's me as I'm back! How are you all doing?

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hi WDW, glad your back, I'm headed out for another ski day with kids and sister-in-law. Will report back later, have an awesome day. Did you make a new Jake fan out of your mom? My mom really likes him :) Then again who doesn't?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi CWG - Good to see you. Have a fun day on the slopes - here it's weather for ducks :(

Anonymous said...

Hey Sunday morning six am sunny and clear in San Francisco. . .

guess I'll do some California dreamin' on a cold day in New England, sleet and ice on its way.

(California memory: camping out at mouth of Russian River, but slept too late for low tide and prying abalone off the rocks; so we made eggs ranchero, I think I'll cook up some eggs ranchero right now. . )

Hey, guys! My shrink thinks my bear resembles Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Positively Pia - I love those sunny California winter says - a world away from the one outside my window. Sounds like you've got one good looking bear there ;)