Wednesday 8 October 2008

Making the leap - Prince of Persia and Jake Gyllenhaal - 'No look alikes, no dummies'

According to Wikipedia, and fans who know this kind of thing, David Belle is the founder of Parkour - that most balletic and energetic mode of getting from A to B via anything in the way, whether animate or inanimate. It is, therefore, extremely good news to hear, via IMDb, that the 'Parkour coordinator' for Prince of Persia is David Belle himself. If anyone can teach Jake Gyllenhaal to move and leap as Prince Dastan should, then surely that man is David Belle. It is also possible that Belle will be a stuntman for Jake and that will mean that the Parkour will be of the highest possible standard. Belle is a man who lives for Parkour, as can be seen from his blog.



As an Indie actor, Jake has rarely starred in the kind of movie where stunts are a necessity, and yet he does seem to have enjoyed the moments when he has been able to use that physicality of his to shine. Despire the faults of Proof, I will always enjoy (and rewind) its running scenes, especially that scene where Jake throws the notebook threw the car window after chasing it at speed. And running down the college steps...


But clearly, despite the desperate moments on the bucking bronco for Brokeback Mountain and the rifle fisticuffs during Jarhead, Jake's most conventional stunt moments have been in The Day After Tomorrow. As Jake said: 'I did all of my own stunts: no look-alikes, no dummies.' Although it seems that not all of Jake's action moments made the big screen. In 2004, Jake told the press (The Northern Echo) 'of the moment he had to fall from the side of the [Russian] ship and grab on to the side with one hand. He did that stunt himself, but unfortunately the scene didn't make the finished film.'


Jake's co-star (one of) in The Day After Tomorrow, Arjay Smith (Brian) recalls: 'Jake had to do a couple of stunts. They had to put him on a wire because he’s walking across a boat – a ship, actually – and so he was about 20’ high. He had to just get wired up, just for safety reasons.'


In Bubble Boy, Jake was able to do many of his own stunts but he was protected by his bubble: 'I'm falling over waterfalls, flying in an airplane, and being tossed off motorcycles... I did a lot of the stunts because the bubble makes it safer to hit the ground.'


But things (and stunts) have reached a whole new level and, in May 2010, we'll be able to see by just how much.


Meanwhile one visitor to Pinewood today reports: 'We even caught a glimpse of one of the Prince of Persia sets. Looks exactly like the game. I couldn’t take a picture of that, no matter how much I wanted to. Damn iPhone camera... grumble, grumble. Plus, they’d probably have run me through with a prop sword or something. Though we saw a few sound stages, we mostly saw the outside of buildings.' Tantalising...


Includes pictures from IHJ.

15 comments:

BertieCinema7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BertieCinema7 said...

Very exciting news, about the founder of Parkour, David Belle, being the choreographer? of the stunts and moves for the film! It will make it the very best. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie! This is GREAT news. PoP will show Parkour at its best, I have no doubt of that. Hearing this tonight really put a smile on my face (and that's not just due to the Cosmos I've been drinking with Ruby:D)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh by the way, Bertie, love that you got a blogger ID and wonderful pic xx

BertieCinema7 said...

Thanks! Yes, Jake's our Red Sox good luck charm(er). The night I put this up we won the divisional playoff! I love having a real name now. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think it's great, Bertie!

Anonymous said...

Very cool news about David Belle. I know nothing about Parkour but from what I have seen it seems a great thing to have the best teaching/helping you.

Btw, left you a comment in the last thread, WDW. :)

Zodiac said...

I know young 16-year-old boys who do parkour, know everything about parkour,are big fans of Prince and a source of knowledge about the game to me. They'll definetely see this movie. They've also given me the third part of the game, Two Thrones, which I haven't played yet at all. They say it's dangerous and beautiful. I hope David Belle makes Jakey look good.

P.S. Have I told you that I have a friend (a gay guy) who calls Jake a "sexy hunk of burning love"? He refuses to explain the burning part, though.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Blimey, it's foggy out there - need a lamp to get about...

Morning Get Real! It really is cool news and makes me even more excited to see the film - and I thought that wasn't possible. And I'm glad Jake will be getting proper training for this as it can't be easy.

Got your other comment - thanks! Missed it last night. I blame it on mixing my drinks :D Everyone has to talk quietly this morning...

Hi Zodiac! I love the sound of the 'dangerous but beautiful'. I think the parkour will look stunning. I'm intrested to see how the film will show it. 'Sexy hunk of burning love' - I like that too!! Your friend has excellent taste :D

Have a great day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you included a picture of Jake jumping over the cars in TDAT. I often wondered if/how he did that. Or if he really did that. I understand them using wires on him for safety on the scenes in the ship, but the flooding, rain, tidal wave scene to me, was even more demanding because the variables were more unstable.

Anonymous said...

On this day of Yom Kippur, may Jake and his family and everypeeps be sealed for a good year in the Book of Life!

Anonymous said...

Pia! A very lovely sentiment and I wish everyone the same. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there! What a busy day...

Hi Anon :D I remember Jake saying that he felt very sluggish doing those stunts as he was wearing a drysuit under his clothes. I can also remember him saying that they picked (in his opinion) the wrong take as he didn't look so good in it. I definitely disagree and think he looks gorgeous in action like that!

Hey Pia! That's a great thought and wish :D

Waves to Get Real!

Have a good day everyone - I'm definitely ready to put my feet up...

paulh said...

"Despire the faults of Proof, I will always enjoy (and rewind) its running scenes, especially that scene where Jake throws the notebook threw the car window after chasing it at speed." [WDW]

I read somewhere that the other cast members were amused by Jake's difficulties with coordinating his running and his throwing. That scene required many takes, apparently, because Jake kept missing the target.

Presumably there is some kind of prophecy in "Prince of Persia," and it has something to do with a baby. This is what I gathered when I read the graphic novel. I wonder how close the movie's plot will be.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! I remember hearing about that too. And in Jarhead too - that Sam Mendes had to work round some of Jake's coordination issues!