Saturday 29 November 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal - 'it's nice to make people laugh with your body' and the dangers of plastic...

In a post hindered, hampered, aggravated and itched by having to make do with dialup internet, I thought I'd take a brief look at an old interview, from way back in 2001, when Jake Gyllenhaal described his very first experience of being a stuntman - long before he had to do battle with snake-throwing, evil Viziers and their armies of sand devils, and even before a shivering Jake took on CGI nasties in a flooded, snowbound NYC.


When Jake ('a naive little boy') took on the part of Bubble Boy Jimmy... 'They made me do a lot. I'm just a naive little boy. We did this one stunt where I come in and the building is on fire. There's a huge wall of fire and the guys who did the effects did in Backdraft. I'd say, "What is that?" and they'd say "It's gasoline. It's fine." They'd spray it on my feet. "It's fine. Trust us." Everyone is getting their fire suits on and, hey, I'm in a plastic bubble. They asked me to go in and shake the door handles. I go in with "I'm gonna be a stunt man. I'm gonna do this. I've got it." I get to that wall and I'm like "Oooh this is hot!" I put my hands out and grab the handles and I look at the bubble and it starts expanding. And then it goes whoosh.. and then flat all around me and I see the steadycam guy going "Run!." They are spraying me and they cut me out of it like an embryonic sack. I don't touch plastic anymore.'


I was particularly intrigued to hear on whom Jake had based his Bubble Boy characteristics: 'I used Peter Sellers in Being There, Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump and Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. Buster, with his face, in silent films, says so much. Charlie, through his movement. The running in the bubble at the beginning was all Chaplin stuff. The voice came out of watching and thinking what a child would do.'


And it's funny to hear that making out with Jennifer Aniston in The Good Girl also gave Jake cause for some other concerns: 'There were love scenes. I have to pay my respects to Brad and not say anything. The love scenes are kind of explicit. He stayed away. [How scared were you?] After Fight Club and everything? Whew.'


On whether it's more difficult to do a love scene or physical comedy... 'They are both really challenging so I wanted to do both. It's nice to make out with a beautiful actress but it's nice to make people laugh with your body (with, not at).' Strange, I've never felt like that watching Jake's love scenes...



Includes pictures from IHJ.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first pic makes me want to watch TDAT (maybe I will tonight or tomorrow) I've been to the NYPL so I've often wondered if it could really withstand the flood that they show in this movie. It's really not that high up. But Jake did such a great job I wanted to warm him up after he got out of that frigid water. Poor guy was shaking.

Thanks for these wonderful pics and all the info.

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea :D I've always thought it strange that they took shelter in the library as it looks awfully low to me too! But a very interesting building. I would have volunteered to warm Jake up that's for sure. A group hug may have done the trick :D

I'm away tonight and I turned on Sky TV (which I don't have at home) and there was Rendition :D

I don't like the idea of Jake being sent out to deal with a fiery inferno in a plastic bubble....

My word is sness - I like this word :D

Zodiac said...

WDW, please, don't take these words away, there are so much fun.

Thanks for complimenting my profile picture, I like it myself. Mmmmmm.....

My mum saw me yesterday in my "Power to the People" t-shirt and wanted to take it from me so she could wear it herself, because she liked it a lot. Didn't let her. Seriously.

The BB story is... dangerous.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac! It's a hot pic! A pleasure to have it on the page :D

I nearly took these words off the other day but I realise I like them too much - I have vallu - this sounds like a word to whisper into Jake's ear :)

I have that t-shirt! As I said at the end of the last thread - I was out for dinner today and the waiter recognised my hoodie as being from Melrose Avenue and took out his iPhone to show me pics of the music producer's villa he'd been at!

Lovin' the BB story but want Jake safe in that bubble :D

Anonymous said...

'I used Peter Sellers in Being There, Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump and Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. Buster, with his face, in silent films, says so much. Charlie, through his movement. The running in the bubble at the beginning was all Chaplin stuff. The voice came out of watching and thinking what a child would do.'

I loved reading this, how an actor prepares for a role. You can see a bit of Edward Scissorhands in Jimmy, a little of that vulnerability. But Edward really had it. I don't think I'll ever forget that scene where he tries to hold Wynona Ryder's character and cannot because of his scissor hands, the expression on his face. Jimmy's got survivor in him.

I think Edward is one of my favorite movie characters ever. The snowfall scene is very romantic too. There are a lot of parallels to it in Bubbleboy; Diane Wiest's mom character sorta reminds me of Swoozie's. I gotta watch both again.

I love that pic of Jake's beautiful butt and thighs in those underoos. Kinda mesmerizing. :)

My word verification is fluffi, I kid you not. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Shy Anon! I cannot believe your word is fluffi - no way! Mine is ringo!!

I absolutely love the image I have in my head of Jake watching Keato and Chaplin in the black and white movies, and also enjoying Tom Hanks as Gump as I did, as well as Johnny as Edward Scissorhands. I could listen to Jake talk about this for more hours than I can count. I loved that snow scene in EScissorhands too. Hope you're having a good evening :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! Back home! After a long drive through rain and fog with a broken radio. Got home and took a hammer to it - seems to have done the trick... And Broadband... how I've missed you!

Hope everyone's having a good day in the warm and dry - according to blogger, it's mialem today. Definitely :D

Anonymous said...

blendsc! or blendska - maybe. lottsa Rusky endings.

yeah, blending is good. whiskeys. smoothies. families.

whenever Im happy I love Jake. esp. his butt. how come his butt is so cute?

he'll do anything, said RDJr. I like this about him, the risk taking.

I admit I hate the PR machine, and H'wood Hype and Fan Mags and the evil Cantera. However - that's life in whatever century we are now inhabiting, I guess.

I'd like to play the "I Will Survive" video on my wall 7/27 -

Im so curious where Jake's muse and talent will lead him! ! !

He's sure got an interesting CV so far.

Thanks as always WDW, keeper of the flame.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! I will always love Jake's butt and that is a fact of life... I'd play that video over and over too! My word sounds like a region of the Near East - borates. Hope you're having a good evening - I'm feeling pleasantly mellow now :D