Wednesday 18 February 2009

Confessions of a Gyllenhaalic

My name is WDW and I am a Gyllenhaalic... (no treatment necessary, no treatment desired).


I may have let Jerry Bruckheimer pummel me with his marketing ploys to get me to see one film (on its opening night) all because it premiered the poster for another, but it was well worth it. This is because: a) I was given a free bottle of fluorescent pink nail varnish; b) I laughed through what felt like a very enjoyable, comforting and perfumed, hot bubble bath of a movie; c) I had my first fleeting glimpse of Jake Gyllenhaal on the big screen in what has been far too long. Far too long.


Realising that my memory skills are not what they could be, my account of the poster has been verified and corroborated - kind of - by Winterbird, who also saw the film this evening. This is not spoilery, but it may help to know that the poster scene is the scene after the heroine leaves Miami for NYC, approximately half way through the film. Your suspicions of the poster's imminence (or should that be eminence?) will be raised by the sight of a CSI poster. And then on the side of a building, just for an instant, you see the open mouth and a face distorted by the battle cry of the Prince of Persia.


I remember a flash of red, like a scarf around the Prince's body, similar to that in the images of the game prince. Winterbird recalls long hair, obscuring part of his face. As the camera moved and the poster shifted to be reflected in the window of a car, I saw that the Prince was wearing some kind of shirt or armour but it was open, revealing his chest.


In other words, this Prince means business. He is dynamic, braced for action, not smiling or frowning, but shouting out in defiance of his enemy - it is dark with streaks of red. He is a powerful force. And all this conveyed in perhaps three seconds. I heard people in the seats behind me say 'That's the Prince of Persia' and it was. What you're left with is wanting much, much more.


As for the film Confessions, this is a film I enjoyed much more than I thought I would, with more than a handful of laugh-outloud moments. Althought parts of it looked like they could have been taken from any number of recent romcoms, especially Bridget Jones and The Devil Wears Prada, Isla Fisher and Joan Cusack were a joy. Kristin Scott Thomas, an actress I normally like a great deal, far less so. This was possibly because I couldn't help comparing her with Prada's Meryl Streep. Likewise, Hugh Dancy kept reminding me, irritatingly, of another Hugh - Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones. But the film got a round of applause and I left it with what I wanted - some cheerful escapism and a glimpse of something darker and far, far sexier (oh, and some nail varnish...).


Give us more!

Includes pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey WDW! Perfect title for today's post :)

Like you, I enjoyed the film more than I expected. I have to say, I got a bit distracted by all the clothes and bags and heels for a moment and had to remind myself - I am here for the Prince, I am here for the Prince...

I hope to see a proper picture of that poster soon - it's certainly a very striking pose Jake got there. Hair flying, covering half of his face... a glimpse of his chest, open mouth (roaring? a heroic cry?).. mmm....

back to the film - you are right that Kristin Scott Thomas was a less down, it's shame that they cast her to speak in that strange French accent when she speaks French like a native in real life...

maybe someone got a still picture of that poster somewhere? :P

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird! I was a bit distracted by the bags, I must say... The shoes were incredible!

A very striking pose. I do hope we get to see a proper picture of it. It's agony seeing it for a few seconds and then it's gone. But I did enjoy the film more than I thought.

I thought that about Kristin too. She lives in France so why give her that silly accent?

I need to see that poster again!

Anonymous said...

In other words, this Prince means business. He is dynamic, braced for action, not smiling or frowning, but shouting out in defiance of his enemy - it is dark with streaks of red. He is a powerful force. And all this conveyed in perhaps three seconds. I heard people in the seats behind me say 'That's the Prince of Persia' and it was.

Wow, this sounds really great. I was hoping it would be like this. I love a flash of red, a serious battle, gets my blood pumping. Damn you, Jerry Bruckheimer, I was trying my best to resist.

I bet we won't get a free bottle of nail polish. lol

What you're left with is wanting much, much more.

Aren't we always? Sigh. ;)

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

This is wonderful!
Thank you for all information on the poster.
I hope to be released soon. Maybe in March or at the Comic Con.

Uli said...

Hm, I hope there will be a pic of the poster before the movie opens here in Germany... I don't feel like going to watch the movie for the poster... I don't think I necessarily qualify as a shopaholic (Gyllenhaalic is more like it - agree: great title for the post! :D) and knowing me I would blink in the wrong moment anyway! :D :D :D
Although the thought of a bottle of fluorescent pink nail varnish is very tempting... LOL!

But thank you so much for your descriptions of the poster WDW and winterbird! It really sounds exciting. If only we wouldn't have to wait for so long!!!!
And I am glad that you enjoyed the movie, too - not only the poster!!

Have a good day everyone!!

PS: Where is Atticus? Did he choke on those green Crocs he was supposed to chew??
I hope he managed to destroy them before Jake came back home! :D :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! I dreamt about the Prince last night :DD

Hi there Anon! There's just no resisting when it comes to the very idea of a mighty Jake primed for battle. Sigh...

Morning Monica! I hope you get to see it soon.

Hi Uli! I'm not a shopaholic either - in fact, the very opposite... but I can be charmed by a comedy :) You know you want that nail varnish! I hope at some point we get to see a proper still of the poster.

Atti appears to have gone walkies. Hopefully, he'll be back soon, maybe with a rabbit :D

Have a good day everyone!

Xenia said...

Oh WDW, I'm a Gyllenhaalic too, and a proudly helpless one...

Thanks for your fascinating description of the Prince poster, it riminds us that Dastan is not a manequin wearing fancy clothes for us to enjoy (albeit it won't hurt seing him in his trousers modeling his legs and ass, and that silky shirt open on his chest) but he is a warrior first and foremost.

Confessions of a Shopaholic will be out in Italian theatres this week-end and I'm going to watch it even though it's not exactly my genre of movie, but hey I'm a Gyllenhaalic, so what can I do? :)

Have a great day everyone.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Xenia! Ooh yes, that wouldn't hurt at all... gulp... I want to see Warrior Jake... Oh my, I'm back to the three dots again...

Carol said...

Hi everyone glad that you all enjoyed the movie. I'll be heading to the cinema straight after work tomorrow to see it. After all that's been said here I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks all for the information on where the poster appears in the movie. It would be just my luck to blink at that moment:) I like the descriptions of the poster - a glimpse of chest, open mouth, defiant pose... I'm getting a bit distracted now:)

Slightly off topic do we get to see a lot of fabulous bags and shoes in the movie.

Have a great day:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Carol! Do enjoy the movie - oh yes, be assured that bags and shoes feature very heavily. Some of the shoes are amazing!

See what you can remember about the poster and let us know - I was so distracted by the open mouth and the kind of twisted stance - so sexy - I didn't notice much else! It's just after she leaves Miami...

Anonymous said...

Good morning, ladies.
I'm in a hurry but I could not leave the house without saying this: THE SUN IS BACK!
I was planning a boat house.

Have a wonderful day.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning, Monica O! I'm glad you have the sun back :D Can we have some...? Have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the inside scoop! I've been wondering what this little marketing scheme would be like. It's so frustrating, though, I want to see the poster for longer than 3 seconds and without having to go to this movie! GRRRR! As you have said many times before - it's all about waiting when you're a Gyllenhaalic. Waiting for movies to be released (hell, just official release dates would be nice at this point!), waiting for the Jamie Foxx music video, waiting for this damn poster!

Okay, I've ranted enough for one morning! Hope everyone is well other than all the waiting.

P.S. I have been loving all the fun posts about facial features lately - I was laughing like crazy at those! You always make my day!

xoxo

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey! Good to see you bbmiswear :D Glad you enjoyed the face posts - I love Jake's face - sorry, thinking outloud there. Three seconds is absolutely not enough! We need someone to post the poster. It would be very difficult taking an illicit pic of something that's only 3 seconds long though. Will I be the first person to buy a DVD just to freezeframe a single scene? Very possible.

Yep, it's all about the waiting - it's endlessly frustrating and yet we've had to become so used to it. It's about time we got dates for these things and they were stuck to! Jake's people should help us out here and push for dates! Surely Jake would like to know when Nailed would like to come out?

Hope you're having a good day! Back home, phew... Ooh my word is hansom :)

Anonymous said...

LMAO at this: 'Will I be the first person to buy a DVD just to freezeframe a single scene? Very possible'.

I thought of that too!!! I'm glad I'm not alone on that thought... :)

sheba said...

Off to watch Shopaholic tomorrow. Dunno about the pink nail polish but I'll give it a try.

I love these "I am Sparticus" moments :DD

I am a Gyllenhaalic... no sympathy necessary nor required. I do not wish to be cured and hope to live with this condition for the rest of my life. It shall be medically treated continuously with updates on Jake's progress in his career... occassional coffee and walking shots ... open shirted of course...
If you wish to be infected by gyllenhaalics just watch Brokeback Mountain, Moonlight Mile and The Good Girl for starters.

Warning....there is no cure. ... well..... only known cure is a kiss on the lips from the Prince ;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! Like you, I'm proud of my Gyllenhaalic status and have no wish to be 'cured'. It's a blessing. Yep, no cure! I am Spartacus!

paulh said...

I'm a shopaholic *and* a Gyllenhaalic. I would have enjoyed the movie with or without the PoP poster. I feel like I got a double treat. :-)