Monday 24 May 2010

[Updated] Jake 'Call me Gylls' Gyllenhaal on GMA; Jake's view on Twitter & FB and Sir Ben's view of Jake

Jake Gyllenhaal's takeover of the airwaves and TV networks of North America continues! This morning Jake was guest on Good Morning America, where we learn more about his Brit accent (and its unfortunate affect on his co-stars when they first heard it) and there's more about that top-heavy surname.



Update: Outside the Good Morning America studio Jake had quite a choice of objects to sign, including figurines and the Dagger of Time itself...


While in New York, Jake and Maggie were seen at Radio City yesterday where they had the honour of listening to a speech by the Dalai Lama - quite an occasion (thanks to Get Real for the heads up - and, irrelevantly, you can read here about my day back in May 2008 when the Dalai Lama visited Oxford, leading me to get run over and post about Jake and eastern religion - a very odd and memorable day).


We've heard much from Jake about what it was like to work with Sir Ben Kingsley. Today we get to hear from Sir Ben about this young leading man: '...the British legend described the US star as "wonderful" because he can let his guard down. "Jake is a great leading man to work with - he's wonderful to work with because he makes himself vulnerable," he said. "For a strong young guy like that, not many of his American counterparts are vulnerable. They don't dare to be vulnerable because they think vulnerable is weak. It is not - to be vulnerable is to be very strong."


'Sir Ben found himself drawn to the role of Nizam because of his multi-faceted personality. "I found Nizam a bit Shakespearian," he explained. "The wonderful thing about playing Nizam is that there's layer upon layer of extraordinary behaviour - there's cunning, envy, regret, greed, monstrous ego and narcissism. I could go on and on - he is such a great guy to play."'

You can read another great interview with Sir Ben here.


And finally...

There has been some controversy as late about whether Jake Gyllenhaal has a Twitter presence, especially when a certain fake account was suspended following a campaign that included tweets by Jonathan Ross, Duncan Jones and more. This very subject actually popped up during one of the interviews Jake had while he was in London. You can listen to Jake's response here - and learn that Jake doesn't use Twitter or Facebook (in case it makes him feel old).


David Letterman show tonight remember!

Thanks a ton to IHJ for this, with special thanks from those of us outside the GyllenTV Region! And thanks for the pics.

21 comments:

Leslie said...

And so it begins... :D

I'm so excited Jake is promoting PoP in the States, especially now that he's in NYC. Sadly I didn't get Letterman tickets after waiting to hear from them for the past month but that's okay I'll enjoy the show from the comfort of my living room!

I'm getting concerned about the box office for PoP I've heard the international box office numbers weren't that great.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Leslie! Great, isn't it?!

As we were saying in yesterday's comments, I wouldn't put too much store on all this yet as I'm surprised anyone was in the theatres at all! We have a heatwave on. PoP was top in 18 out of 19 countries so that sounds good to me. Next weekend is a holidy weekend so families will be out - also chuck it down no doubt as a Bank Holiday...

Sorry you couldn't get tickets. I always feel nervous for Jake when he's on the Letterman show but I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job as always.

Who wants to put a bet on whether Jake'll talk about the shampooing and conditioning?!

Leslie said...

It's a holiday weekend in the US as well so hopefully that helps here. As I said before, my only concern is Sex and the City is out this weekend and their fans are very loyal. Plus it comes out a day earlier than PoP which could give it the edge. As a Sex and the City fan, I'll be seeing PoP this weekend ;-)

I'm already expecting to hear the words shampoo and conditioner in the interview tonight. I'm still not tired of hearing him talk about that yet!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi! I think the holiday will help, plus PoP is getting a lot more publicity in the US than here. I imagine PoP will attract families, so not quite the same audience as SaTC - not that I'm an expert as I've never seen that in my life!

get real said...

I saw this as I was getting ready for work! :D I love his charm and easy going nature even when he is asked about his name for the millionth time, lol.

I am hoping that since the PoP audience allows for families as compared to SATC that it will still do well. *fingers crossed* I am also a fan of SATC but I will wait to see that unlike PoP which I plan to see Thursday.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Good to see Jake as you're getting ready in the morning :) And yep that's my hope too - and great to hear you're seeing it Thursday!

get real said...

:D WDW. Btw, per Twitter, Jake and Maggie saw the Dalai Lama who was speaking at Radio City Music Hall yesterday...pretty cool.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh that really is cool, Get Real. I saw the Dalai Lama in Oxford a couple of years ago. It was amazing just to be in the same space :)

I'm going to update the post later, I'll include that, thanks!

Leslie said...

It is getting loads of publicity here. At first I barely saw any commercials or ads for the film. Now they are everywhere! It is a much different audience. I'm hoping it does really well, a sequel will be nice :D

Anonymous said...

Wow that was quick! :D
1 down 8 to go! :)
Do you think anymore will be announced for after the release date in the US or does Jake usually stop promoting once it's in cinemas?

Silver

Anonymous said...

p.s have you seen this? It's brilliant :')

www.bit.ly/ajooEF

Wet Dark and Wild said...

A sequel would be lovely, Leslie!

Hi Silver! I reckon that's probably about it once PoP is out in the US but you never know...

That's so funny! I remember the last one of those I saw - I turned Jake into Spock!

Just updated the post with some bits and pieces - hope you enjoy it :)

Anonymous said...

Has jake used the dagger of time? Because he looks ten years younger :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 19:16! He looks amazing - and much younger than during those Rendition pubicity days :)

Eric Guerrero said...

Haha oh fake jake on twitter...its ridiculous and he/she is still posting...seriously get a LIFE!

Anyways babe, thanks for keeping me up to date on my jake news ;-)

I have already secured my PoP ticket for friday haha and I got a lego set last night. It's crazy how much it reminds me of a live action Aladdin (it's still my fave disney flick). K enough rambling.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Eric! Yes, they really are ridiculous - and wriggling now - and ridiculous - that bears saying again.

Ooh, loving the 'babe' *blushes* - it's a pleasure :D And enjoy Friday! (Aladdin was so so good - one of my faves too)

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that he doesn't use twitter or facebook. At least we know any accts with his name are fake.

I love that he and Maggie go to see the Dali Lama (I didn't even know he was in NY) Radio City is a great venue for his speaking engagement.

And he looks so adorable in that outfit. I saw the GMA interview and I have my VCR all set to tape Letterman tonight.

Sweetpea

Uli said...

Hi everybody!!

Sir Ben is soooo right in what he says about Jake! Also the other day, when he was quoted with "exuding confidence in a likeable way". What Sir Ben describes is definitely a huuuuuge part of what I like in Jake!

It was so great to see Jake out for the Basketball game with Chris yesterday... It never fails to put a smile on my face to see them together!

I agree with everybody - he looks so incredibly young these days! Well, I guess he has been pretty happy these last months and it shows in his face! :)

I went to see PoP with a friend (who liked the movie btw. - and he isn't even a Jake fan! :D) last night, so we helped a bit with the box office - although I didn't really want to see it here in Germany, dubbed and all... :-/ But it was actually okay in the German version! But of course I will go and watch it again this week (if work permits) in English in Bratislava!
The cinema was pretty crowded yesterday and I hope it will continue to be that way (although it feels like there is not that much publicity here)! I really want this to be a great success for Jake! There's almost nothing worse than to have something titled "summer blockbuster" and then it bombs at the box office... :-/

For me it is back to work tomorrow and I still haven't caught up with all the Jake stuff... I made some good progress, though, but by next weekend I will be sooo behind again with all the US promo that is starting now... Argh! :D :D :D
Looking forward to all the talk show appearances!!!

T said...

Oh my 3 piece suit on David Letterman - someone bringing sexy back & forward

http://www.gossipcenter.com/jake-gyllenhaal/jake-gyllenhaal-late-show-lad-366837

Leslie said...

OMG those pics of Jake at Letterman. I'm devestated I didn't get tickets now LOL.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea! Enjoy Letterman tonight :)

Good to see you Uli! I've been missing you :D Ooh, PoP dubbed, don't know if I could watch that but all credit to you for upping the box office and taking along non-Jakers for their initiation. Hope you get to see it in Bratislava.

There'll be time to catch up :)

I know, T, incredible. I put a new post up and my pulse is racing!

I'm sorry you couldn't get tickets, Leslie. I know how that feels. Try and enjoy the interview on the TV. I wish we could see it here.

New post - essential due to new intensity of hotness!