Wednesday 12 May 2010

Prince of Persia London press conference in full, ostrich (or Austrian) racing, & Jake Gyllenhaal's body 'a piece of art'

I realise that this is the second post of the day - there's so much going on, you should just be thankful it's not the 13th! However, Geek Syndicate has published the entire London press conference, winning for themselves a giant tick on my Thank You chart. I'd also like to thank the friend for the heads up. So here are all seven videos that take you right through the event, from introductions to apologies for Jake's slightly controversial comments - for instance, saying that he'd heard that real Persian princes didn't like Jake's accent in the film, but did like the hair. And then there was something about Austrians and barbarians.



'I have been studying Parkour since I was a young child so it was really a good role for me, a perfect fit, as well as I've always really wanted to play a prince. Some people might say that I am, in a lot of ways, a princess and so I thought that playing a prince would be fitting.'



'No doubt, speaking in an English accent was the hardest part for me. I think it's daunting trying to do any service as an American to such a beautiful, fluid speechpattern that you all have and we are just barbarians in comparison... It helped being surrounded by an all - an international crew - but primarily British cast and somewhat British crew and so I would speak every day... I would get out of the car and I'd have the accent on all day and would sort of journey from one region to region around England with a different person I would talk to. And I would mimic them and sometimes I would sound like them in takes and Mike would say 'Dear boy! You don't sound right! Do it again!' 'Smashing!' That's my favourite line. 'Cut!' - that's when you know he's excited about a take. So I would say that the accent was most daunting, particularly in front of the British press.'



The ostriches... 'The most terrifying day of the shoot for me... They seem like they have eyes similar to mine but really they don't, they do dangerous stuff to you and so I would like to stop that from happening again.'



Gemma Arterton on her costume: It was quite loose 'thank goodness. You'd have got an eyeful otherwise, Jake.' 'It would've been hot' was Jake's response.



Gemma: 'I took the piss out of Jake and he took the piss out of me. We all take our work very seriously but I certainly don't take myself very seriously and I think that Jake's the same. So we had fun and I think that you definitely can see that in the film.'



Gemma tells ET a bit more about working with Jake: 'As for Gyllenhaal's body in the movie, she tells ET it was like "hugging a pillar." "It's amazing, really. He was in such amazing shape and worked very, very hard at it," Arterton says of her sexy costar. "It's like a piece of art." After a series of near kisses in the film, the actress says simply of the actual smooching scene, "It was a moment I suppose."



Talking of ostriches (or was that Austrians?) the offical Prince of Persia site has released more footage from the Mighty Ostrich Race. We are assured that no animal was hurt in the making of the film, but we're not so sure about Jake and his post-ostrich trauma.



The NYMag meanwhile has been proving the verity of Jake's medieval Persian locks and muscles - as if any were needed.


Thanks to IHJ for the Russian pic! A little different from Mayfair...

24 comments:

Monica said...

I do not think I can see everything. I'm going crazy with all these pictures and videos!

thanks, wet dark!

Monica said...

Curiosity, did you see that video of Jake at the party?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

There's so much, Monica! I'm having a real struggle keeping up :D

I did see that video but, as always, WDW is about Jake's films and public life and absolutely not about his private life (a sneaky film of Jake out partying and having fun in a new city after a huge success - despicable - that's one word for it, I can think of others.) Jake should be left in peace to celebrate. He deserves it. And I know Moscow - it's a good town to celebrate in.

I hope this isn't going to be discussed all evening ;)

Ruby said...

I find it quite easy to keep up. I just wander over here and work my way down the post. Simples! ;-)

You can take a break for 'tea' next week and I'll say thank you with ruby-coloured cocktails. :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Chuckle! That'll do it Rubes :DD

Ooh a break for ruby-coloured tea :D Sounds great!!

Gyllenhaalics said...

Sorry, wet dark. Did not want to bring this subject. I also think it is very intrusive.

You can delete my post if you want.

Leslie said...

I can see this is a sensitive topic but I just have something to say if I may...(feel free to delete if you think it's inappropriate)

As you know I'm new to this site so I wasn't sure how the discussion of Jake's private life was handled. I'm glad to see that it's off limits. I can't stand seeing stories about Jake on non-fan sites & all the comments about him are related to his personal life. I'm glad this is a place where we can discuss him & his films without all that other junk.

Also that video you're referring too, I saw it, I thought it was adorable! I'm convinced that there isn't anything he could do to make me stop loving him! haha!

That's all!

Now I can't wait to get home to enjoy this post :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

No worries :)

Hi Leslie! I try and keep all that 'junk' off limits here. Jake's a young man and he can do whatever he likes, just like the rest of us, and we all have the right to do it in privacy.

So we have a mountain of things to enjoy from PoP week so it'd be great to focus on that and leave Jake be to have some fun in peace :)

gyllenhaalic4jake said...

Amen, Kate!

Carol said...

Well said WDW.

Stace said...

Don't think I said this before but Thank you, WDW for all this material. I think I may end up missing things, but one day when I have time, I'll do a quick review for anything I might have missed.

I'm gonna have the press conference in the background as I do my paper. Also, had no idea that Jake was so popular in Russia[or that any US celebrity was! Guess I'm just a dumb American sometimes.] It's so refreshing to see. I love all this worldwide attention for POP. But, I am so anxious for things to start over here.

Get Real said...

Another day full of Gyllen-news. :)

Jake and Gemma look great at the Russian premiere.

Have to now watch the new videos. :D

I appreciate your feelings about not posting that video, WDW. That is a really personal video following Jake. He is totally adorable but I am not sure how I feel about so much of his personal time was taped. JMO :/

Leslie said...

I'm so happy that the full London Press Conference was posted online for us to enjoy! I think my favorite part was of course the ostrich question. I hadn't heard that Jake said they have eyes like his. I can never get enough of his sense of humor. I can also never get enough of his impression of Mike Newell "Smashing" :D

Alejandra said...

I can't keep up!! I said it weeks ago!! Now I feel I might drown!!

Every picture is so gorgeous, I'd stare for hours... I changed my desktop to the one with the "Keep Smiling" sign he's holding... and that was days ago!!

Thanks, WDW. Must be stressing to post all of this. Hope all the thank you's we can offer you soothe you and help you unstress. ;-)

Hope jake goes to see the World Cup. He could do with some vacations too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Good to see you all!

I loved that moment, Leslie, when Jake said ostriches have eyes like his - big eyes!

Thanks to all of you for all the kind words - it's hard keeping up and more to come - but it is so worth it!!! When it calms down, I'll do some 'taking stock' posts :D

Jake may be on GMTV right now! I think it'll be a recorded interview from last week.

Have a great day!

Carol said...

I've just seen the GMTV interview with Lorraine Kelly on the GMTV website - www.gm.tv

Lorraine is a bit like a giddy schoolgirl during it:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Carol! I'm looking forward to seeing that - and trying to find it in the three hours of morning TV I recorded!

Gemma's on the One Show this evening at 7 and Jake may be on the diabolical Studio 5 at 6.25. Once Jake's been on that, I'll be so happy to never see it again!

But must have been lovely for Lorraine on GMTV!

sheba said...

Saw the interview on GMTV. Jake looked serene and gorgeous. That's all I will say for now until its posted. It will be interesting to hear your comments.

I love Jake's impressions of Mike and I saw the clip where Mike says "cut" and the upswing fist pump to follow. It was exactly as Jake described. He loves to mimic or take the P out of his directors. Remember how he kept trying to get Jim Sheridan to say 'third' and they'd all be cracking up and Jim didn't know why. He's so impish and so glad he's moving into another area of his life where he's not taking himself so seriously as it's almost infectious.

I'm a little anxious that world cup fever may swamp the success of PoP. Still so much to look forward to in June though. Brothers out on 7th June is one :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sheba! Appreciate that *)

I love when Jake mimics people too - he loves different accents and quirky traits. The 'cut' is just excellent and Jake does it brilliantly. Smashing!

I think with PoP out I will barely notice a world cup :DD

Td said...

Wdw do you know where the pop world tour will take them next?
Td

Leslie said...

Td: I know your question was for WDW but I believe the LA Premiere is on Sunday so I think they're probably heading there next. I'm happy that they're finally coming to the States :-D

Karen said...

Hi WDW,if you haven't found it yet the Lorraine Kelly interview was about 8.55am so that may help if you go by the time at the bottom of the screen on your recording! (I managed to catch it before work)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Just doing post now - sorry for the delay but apparently Oxford is without TV and for a while we had no internet! I thought I'd have to get a book out... anyway, internet came back and one channel came back analogue style (5) so just saw that interview. Anyway, doing post now.... Heavens, what a night!

Oh and for TD... Disney told me that there'll be no more premieres now til LA.

Back soon! May be a short and snappy one due to unforeseen technical hitches... :D

Leslie said...

So I guess the next few days will be quiet so everyone can catch up & take a break before the next waves of press starts. I actually kinda miss all the chaos already!