Thursday 18 September 2008

Setting the table for Jake Gyllenhaal

British interior designer Linda Barker has taken part in a celebrity 'Dining with...' show and, despite wishing for Jake Gyllenhaal as a guest, ended up with Peter Stringfellow. The world is cruel. Imagination, however, is kinder and in it we can have Jake as our dinner guest and, even better, he's a good cook - even managing to knock up a colourful dessert with starbursts and strawberries - and what's a bit of washing up to a moviestar?


Should Jake be on your invitation list for that special dinner, you can rely on a well-turned out guest. If formal is what you're after, formal is what you'll get.


The dinner table is the place for constructive debate about the political and social issues of the day. Jake will know the right questions and answers for polite company and will also be able to draw younger guests into the conversation.




Family gatherings can often lead to tension, particularly worrying when large carving utensils are involved. But if you sit up, turn off the television and appreciate the food on the plate before you, you should come through unscathed to enjoy another Thanksgiving.


Jake has had on occasion to perform for his supper. This can be a cheap and easy option - while you dine on a butter-poached lobster, Jake will quietly lap milk from a dish.


Sometimes, though, all you get is beans.


A business dinner is sometimes unavoidable. Stick Jake in the middle and everything will be fine.


There are times, especially when a new Ice Age turns up unexpectedly, several thousand years too soon, when a full service is impossible. On these occasions, you may have to make do with a bag of peanuts and a bag of salt and vinegar.



But when all else fails, you can always fall back on a tangine and some after dinner recreation.


Jake is such a useful guest, he has even been known to build a dinner table - constructing a 'craftsy' (I think that was translated as 'wobbly') mahogany table for his mother's house in Martha's Vineyard where, presumably, they would use it less.


Of course, there are risks associated with being seen having dinner with Jake Gyllenhaal, as Jake himself once said: 'You know, when you sit next to someone while you're out to dinner with friends, and reporters are there, 'sitting next to each other' becomes 'snogging' very quickly.' But if you're up for it...


And finally...

Thanks to IHJ for today's wonderful new old pictures from the UK premiere party of The Day After Tomorrow.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

24 comments:

Zodiac said...

Brilliant post, WDW!

All I want form him is a quiet dinner for two with a lamb salad and just a little bit of striptease. What? He said he would do it if necessary:)

But, seriously, this pic of him in a tux is stunning. And his picture with Kirsten is just 'awww'. And if I WAS at the dinner with Jake I wouldn't probably eat much. Talk about stressful situation.

Anonymous said...

Sweet post - love the one in a tux and I love the one with Kirsten too. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

First off, must say, how come I do a post on dining with Jake and all my lightbulbs in the kitchen blow at the same time, eh? I'm having to open my wine in the DARK...

Hi Zodiac! Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it, I was in the mood for some fun. So what do I want? Maybe a little bit of pasta or salad (I'm too messy for a spaghetti date) and an exotic ice cream dessert with two spoons. Best not to eat, just focus on feeding Jake :)

Hi Anon! Those are such nice pictures, they're a pleasure to post. Thanks for commenting :D

Anonymous said...

omg... that's the cruelest and funniest thing I've read today. Poor Linda... wishing for Jake Gyllenhaal and George Clooney but ended up with Peter Stringfellow (does he still have that mullet?)

Jake would be a perfect dinner host, not only he can cook well, he's funny and good enough to eat himself....

cute post :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Winterbird :D Imagine that! You want Jake but get Stringfellow - ugh... Jake would be such a perfect guest and I wouldn't even expect any help with the washing up, instead we could settle down with a romantic movie and some candlelight and chocs :D Glad you liked it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Chill in the air :D Have a good one :)

Carol said...

Morning.

Fun Post

Love the one in the tux. Have a bit of a hangover this morning so the thought of dinner with Jake is helping me to get through pain:)

Have a good day :)

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Carol! I'm feeling a bit rough myself this morning so I could really do with Jake cooking me a full fried veggie brekkie...

Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Are the bulbs back already?:)

Carol said...

Thanks. I get the feeling it's going to be a long day at work. I'm here in body only not mind!!!

Hope you feel better soon too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Thanks for being concerned. I still have no bulbs so I may have to put the washing up on hold... Hope you're having a good day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Carol, posting at the same time :D Busy day here too but the sun's out, so a lovely day to be running around. As the weather's good again, it would be perfect for Jake to come back to!

Anonymous said...

Ha! You had me at Linda Barker. I can just imagine her SHOUTING style tips at Jake, and Jake's gentle responses :)

Jake's table: I thought "craftsy" might be a euphemism for "ugly"? :D

Why no bulbs, WDW? Time for bulbs - light bulbs and flower bulbs.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Nouskie! Love to see Linda and Jake dispute wall colours and draping fabrics...

I'm sure Jake's table is charming :D

I like to think that without bulbs, when Jake comes round to cook for me, it will be atmospheric :)

Have a lovely day and take it easy!

Anonymous said...

I am :) * See you soon :)

paulh said...

Last night I made a supper that obeyed most of Jake's cooking rules. I made tomato noodle soup, using garden-fresh tomatoes, zucchini, and onions. The accompanying dish was a salad made from diced fresh celery, hard-boiled eggs, and olive hummus. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Good Friday morning, y'all. Brrr this morning but sunny as all get out - yay!

Well, Anouska, if you recall, at a recent "setting the table for Jake 'I Live For Passion' Gyllenhaal", I recall that I made off with Jake into the loo when nobody was paying attention and had a really good time. . .

Csn we do a repeat? Can I bring my new crush, Bardem?

Paul, did you get a freeze last night? Did your garden cilantro haha survive?

Hey everypeeps esp. WDW today, have a great day and come home safely.

paulh said...

Arr! Today be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me hearties, so avast or I'll walk the plank--or something like that. Arr!

No, Pia, that landlubbering, rusty scuppering cilantro doesn't grow in me garden. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well shiver me timbers, mate - no cilantro in that garden tomatoe soup. . . ?

(how do pirates say "whatever"?)

paulh said...

Arr! Mateys who say whatever are landlubbers, not pirates! :-)

Jake could be a pirate someday.

Anonymous said...

Arr! back attcha!

"Then theyll pile up the bodies
And Ill say,
Thatll learn ya!

And the ship
The black freighter
Disappears out to sea
And
On
It
Is
Me"

Anonymous said...

p.s. you see, Paul, I figured out that Pirate for "whatever" is "that'll learn ya!" :D :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Shiver me timbers! Pirate talk! Where's my parrot...?

What a busy day but back home for a three-day weekend of Jaking :D

Paul, you're making me hungry! Except for celery... I'm never hungry for celery...

Hi Pia! Thanks, it was a good day in the end :D And what a beautiful, sunny warm day too. Glad to hear you've been entertaining Jake... :D

Hey Pirate Jenny! I've got that song going round my head now :D

Time to polish my wooden leg...