Thursday 22 January 2009

Heath Ledger's gift (Oscar Update)

Today, 22 January, is a day to remember and to commemorate. Today is a reminder, although none is needed, of a shocking loss, but, while we feel that weight today and think on Heath Ledger and the pain renewed for those who were fortunate enough to have known this remarkable man, I want today to also be a reminder of the gift Heath gave us, through the film that brought many of us together, and which will always be a treasure for the future to hold precious.


Annie Proulx in the Advocate: 'Heath Ledger is just almost really beyond description as far as I'm concerned. He got inside the story more deeply than I did. All that thinking about the character of Ennis that was so hard for me to get. Ledger was just there. He did indeed move inside the skin of the character, not just in the shirt but inside the person. It was remarkable.'


Jake Gyllenhaal to Backstage: 'Look, I feel like Peter Sarsgaard supported me in Jarhead, and I feel like I'm supporting Heath here. I don't know you're supposed to qualify or quantify it, but Heath really carried the story through. I do believe that he's leading the way...'


Film-maker Kevin Smith: 'This ain't just the gay cowboy movie: it's the saddest flick I've seen all year. And I love sad flicks. Heath Ledger's ENNIS exists - that's how genius his non-performance was.'


Jake to Aboutfilm: 'We talked a lot. Heath would say stuff to me like, 'I really think this character is very sensitive to light, and I think he's very sensitive to sound and he doesn't really like being around any place that's too noisy.' Then when it came to doing love scenes and stuff like that, the best metaphor I can give is that we were both like, 'Are you ready?' 'Yeah, let's go.' And we dove off the boat into the deep end.'


Jake, New Love in the Old West: 'I think we have just a chemistry as friends and then I think that we kid of dove into the love scene, and jumped out as fas as we can. These scenes were written in the script where there were paragraphs of screen direction telling you, as an actor, what your character was actually feeling. I remember reading things where it was like, how do you put into action when Jack looks at Ennis that 'a thousand rivers flow through him'? But it was a guide, we had a pretty incredible guide through it.'



'I think what's particularly extraordinary about Heath's performance in the film is that – I remember talking to him before we started working and he said the way he felt like he was approaching his character was the light was too bright for him and the sounds were too strong for him, and he was incredibly sensitive. And as we agreed, our voices changed, and as I aged, I stuck a moustache on my face.'

Heath on Jake: 'The chemistry was on the page, it was in the words, it was written, we just had to portray it. Jake and I, luckily, had been friends for a while, had known each other. We just had to investigate our story and our objectives and believe the love story and that was really it. It was convincing ourselves, I guess.'


Jake: ''Heath is the sort of guy who wears his heart on his shoulder... he's very sensitive and he guards it anyway he can but he's not that great at guarding it and it made me drawn to him, just as you are in the movie and I was in the same way.'

BBM British Costume designer Marit Allen: 'Heath (Ledger) was deeply involved with his character. He worked with his clothes, using everything he wears to convey Ennis' repression - the jackets, done up; the cowboy hats, to hide behind. Between him and Jake (Gyllenhaal) the hats became an integral part of what they were doing.'


Jake to Bent: 'Heath and I trusted each other enough to take risks. It was wonderful creating an intimacy with him. He made me feel comfortable; he made me want to be present, and that's the best you can ask for from someone you're acting with.'

Heath received an Oscar nomination for Brokeback Mountain. Today is the day on which we will learn if he is nominated for another. Ironic is one word for it, I suppose.


You may want to take a look at this video.

Update: I'm delighted to say that Heath has been nominated for an Oscar, alongside Robert Downey Jr and - further irony - Philip Seymour Hoffman. You can see the full list of nominees, which also includes David Fincher, here.

Includes pictures from IHJ and scans from WDW.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL POST WDW. Beautiful.

Atticus said...

Atti I love you but you makes me cry. It be 7 years allready I misses Heath too he reall good guy. *whines*

Atticus said...

I mean WDW I love you I so upset I forgot my name.

Atticus said...

your name. see what you did to me WDW.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you so much, No Words. Anything feels inadequate, really.

(((Atti))) I love you too.

Anonymous said...

(((((all Heath and BBM fans))))))

That's a beautiful post, WDW

My companys system is down, posting on my phone. More later!

I am glad o have this place to come to on this day.

*hugs*

Carol said...

All I can say is what a beautiful post.

It's great to be able to share this emotional day with everyone here.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :) Thanks for that. I hope the net gets fixed... *)

Hi there Carol :) I am so glad that we can all spend the day together.

Hope everyone's ok

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hi Kate. On today of all days I have to break my self-imposed purdah and post on WDW once again.

This is such a beautiful tribute to Heath and has sparked more of the many tears which will be shed today,by me and by a multitude of others. I would hazard a guess that Jake will be far from the least in this multitude of mourners.

((((My love to all WDWers,Brokies and Heathens - and especially to the lady known here as TwistedLogic)))

I remember you all fondly here...and remember Heath today and every day with love,admiration,gratitude and an inordinate sense of loss. RIP, beautiful boy and know how much you are loved and missed.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

(((((Nadine)))) Today means even more to me now, because I'm able to say hello to you again, my friend - you've been missed. Much, much love to you xxxxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I've just updated the post with a link to a video I saw this morning.

Anonymous said...

No words said my words.

Thanks for this post, WDW.

It doesn't feel like a year - more like two in some ways.

Hugs to all ... (((())))

Xenia said...

Wow...this post is one wonderful gift to Heath and to all of us, WDW.

You will never be forgotten, Heath. You beautiful angel. Never.

And thanks WDW for reminding the lovely words Jake has spoken about his own relationship with Heath back in BBM days. They say it all to me.

Anna said...

Thanks for this post, WDW! Wonderful.

It's strange to find out that he gets his (second) Academy Award nomination, exactly one year after he died.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much WDW esp. for gathering words of Jake for Heath today - like a bouquet of remembrance.

(((((Nadine)))) Miss you!

((((everypeeps))))

paulh said...

Heath has just been nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor

Anonymous said...

supporting actor. but wot the hell, Paul, let's leave it at best actor.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you, Nouskie ((())) xx

Hi there Xenia - those words speak to me too - they're wonderful :)

It is a strange coincidence, Anna, but it kind of feels right that it should be today. Good to see you!

Hey Pia! I love that expression - thanks :D

Hi Paul :) I just updated the post with more information. And up against Hoffman again. Mind boggles...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, WDW.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute, WDW, just beautiful. I have to echo NoWords' thoughts, as I'm just quietly remembering Heath today as well. So happy Heath got an Oscar nom too. :)

Anonymous said...

Or I should say, quietly reflecting on Heath today. I love reading about his thoughts on his roles, and the thoughts of those who worked with him. Thanks WDW! :')

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna :)

Thanks so much Reverb - thank you for commenting. I've been really quiet today too, but, yes, so happy for the Oscar nomination.

Anonymous said...

Is anyone wearing stripes today?

paulh said...

You're right, PIA, Heath *was* nominated for best supporting actor.

That doesn't mean that I can't think of him as the star of "The Dark Knight." You see, I've never much liked Batman, and it's therefore reasonable that I would root for the villains he goes up against.:-)

This year's Oscar nominations further strengthen the credentials of the people who made "Brokeback Mountain." This is Heath's *second* Oscar nomination, and Anne Hathaway's first. I am so thrilled about both nominations that words escape me. ;-)

There are a few nominations this year that leave me puzzled. Michael Shannon for "Revolutionary Road?" Amy Adams for "Doubt?"

Anonymous said...

So sadly missed. My thoughts go out to Michelle and Matilda and all his close friends and family. Like Michelle said : it doesn't get any easier, just different.

Anonymous said...

A very beautiful and moving tribute on a day filled with sudden tears and seemingly everlasting disbelief.

Thank you so much.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Wondering - I'm wearing my stripes with pride today :)

Me too, Paul. I thought Batman himself was the least memorable part of TDK - it was definitely all about Heath for me. But then I've never been a fan of superhero movies and the Joker was far more interesting a character.

It's wonderful for Anne! I'm so proud of her :D

Thnks for those words, Anon :)

Elfie, so wonderful to see you and I must thank you so, so much for the gift of your writing today. I'm full of emotion after reading it, and, well, I'm wordless for once. Thank you xx

Anonymous said...

WDW - you are most welcome. I can't say it was a pleasure writing it, but I'm glad it's out there now.

*hugs*

Sara Andrea Vera said...

=*O(

Beautiful post WDW! Thanks a lot for giving us such a heartfelt tribute to Heath's talent and goodness.

I have tried not to think too much about him today because I'm at work. Surely tonight, when I'm back home, I won't be able to deal so well with the... there is no word in English to describe what I feel. There is no word in Spanish either. The only word I know for it is in Portuguese: saudade. I think I have used it here before. In any case, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade) has a good explanation of the meaning of this word, of this feeling of sadness and yearning and lost and melancholy, all at once...

How can such a sad day be the time for good news?

Heath nomination should be a reason to celebrate and in some way it is. But at the same time it feels empty. Wouldn't we exchange a thousand nominations for having him here?

"I'm delighted to say that Heath has been nominated for an Oscar, alongside Robert Downey Jr and - further irony - Philip Seymour Hoffman."

Yeah... that's really ironic. But he better doesn't ruin it for us again. >:O(

I can't post anything else. I'm losing it right now and I have to continue working.

Hugs to everyone and especially to WDW

Missing Heath more than ever...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm glad it's out there too, Elfie :) It must have been hard to write but I'm glad you did *)

Hi Sara! What a heartfelt comment - and not easy as you're at work, but thanks for it.I was thinking about the Oscar noms and how Hoffmann must feel - what if he wins - OMG...

Thank you for the hug. It's really appreciated and returned ((()))

Zodiac said...

I woke up today and my first thought was: "It's been a year".

I hope he sees us from up there and smiles.


I'm thrilled he got a nomination and it IS ironic that Hoffman has been nominated alongside Heath. Again.

And on a lighter note: today I've installed a new Prince of Persia game on my computer and it's breathtakingly beautiful. The landscape, the music, the graphics-wow, just wow. The Prince looks so much like Jake, piercing blue eyes, they even have the same nose. I wonder what's up with this. Did the team who created the game have a leak from Disney?:)


Beautiful tribute, WDW.

Anonymous said...

Exquisitely written, WDW. Thank you for this.

Congratulations, Heath!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful,

Hugs to everyone on this bittersweet day.

Thanks WDW!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac :D It's been on my mind all day too.

The game sounds wonderful! I want to buy it but I don't think my PC is up to it. I may just give it a go anyway. Good to see you!

Thank you Bandgeek :) And yes, well done to Heath. What a day for his family.

Hi there Amy - The hugs are good :D

Uli said...

Thanks for this wonderful post, WDW! One year and it's still so hard to believe...

Saudade - a very fitting word, Sara Andrea Vera

Hugs
Uli

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Tight hugs, (((Uli))) I hope you feel better soon xx

Monica said...

Good night, Wet Dark!

Thank you. This post is very beautiful!


Congrats Heath!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! Have a good night :)

Monica said...

I posted this picture on the cover of the community of Jake!
Jake and Heath

twistedlogic said...

(((WDW)))I'm pretty much lost for words after reading your post. I don't know what to say except thank you. I don't get here as often as I'd like these days, but I'll never forget being on here a year ago when I found out the news. I still remember the total disbelief followed by the awful sinking feeling of realisation that it was true :( but I also remember how we all supported and comforted each other that night, and throughout the days and weeks that follows. I can never express how much that meant to me, so thanks again, WDW and all of you here (and (((Nadine))) I can't tell you how happy I was to see your name and get a name check myself xx)

I wanted to get on here earlier today,but was busy all day and then my internet connection wasn't working this evening so I picked out a Heath film at random (A Knight's Tale,if you're wondering) and paid my own little tribute to him that way, remembering what a talented actor and a beautiful man he was.

My thoughts are with his family and friends today, as well as with all the other fans worldwide who are all feeling the same emotions today.

I've got mixed emotions about the Oscar nom, but I hope with all my heart that he wins.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That is such a lovely picture, Monica :D definitely one of my all time favourites of Jake and Heath :)

(((TL))) So good to see you and know you're still reading. I remember that evening here too - I found out ehre, from Winterbird as I remember, and it was a real comfort knowing we all felt the same and could express it.

I love A Knight's Tale. I still find my other favourite Heath movie (after BBM) I'm Not There too painful to watch.

I hope Heath wins too.

xxx