Friday 27 November 2009

[Updated] Jake Gyllenhaal - 'lovable' becomes 'edgy' (and lovable)

It probably doesn't come as any surprise to you that Jim Sheridan is a man with a sense of humour - or should that be half-man/half-fish?: '"I called up the only person who could direct this movie and, within days, Jim was sitting on my deck talking about the project," producer Ryan Kavanaugh said before Sunday's School of Visual Arts screening. "About an hour into the conversation and, mind you, this is the first time I met Jim, he reaches into his coat pocket, whips out a pair of swim trunks, gets butt-naked, puts on the swim trunks and runs into the water and body-surfs for an hour. It was then that the ride of 'Brothers' began."' Source.


It is possible that this is also an indication that the Pacific Ocean has more going for it than the Irish Channel?


Therefore, we should also not be surprised that Jim Sheridan cast Brothers with an eye on playing games with us, the viewers, by not giving us quite what we expect from Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire: '“I wasn’t consciously trying to make my movie different,” Sheridan says. “I was only trying to answer questions in the original movie that were interesting to me.”'


'Jim Sheridan’s version of the film is — typical of his work — more family-oriented, focusing on how surviving a painful and spiritually challenging POW experience could change a soldier to the extent that his family can barely recognize him when he returns home. In the film, that soldier is played by Spider-Man himself, Tobey Maguire in a creative casting choice that works simply because audiences would never anticipate that Maguire would go through such brutal psychological changes. It was a casting decision made specifically by Sheridan to play with audience expectations. “That’s why we cast Tobey, so that no one would expect it,” revealed Sheridan.'


'That casting approach was also applied to the role of Maguire’s ex-con brother who is surprisingly played by the typically gentle Jake Gyllenhaal. “Jake is often thought of as the lovable centre-of-attention character,” said Sheridan. “I found it interesting to cast him as the edgy ex-con just to play with that image.”' Jake lovable? Let me think about that for one tenth of a tranosecond. Source.

[Update from the SFGate:] '"Where the movie lives and dies is in the relationship between the two brothers," says Sheridan, who says Maguire and Gyllenhaal deliver in roles that are more grown-up than what they customarily play. To look convincing as a prisoner of war, Maguire dropped 25 pounds from his already thin frame. "He is a vegan, so as far as I am concerned he doesn't eat anyway. He ate less vegan," said Sheridan, who worries about Maguire's extreme diet having a long-term effect. As an actor "Tobey likes to control a lot. That is the way he lives. He has a cook that cooks for him. His world is very controlled. Even when acting, he is not the kind of guy who would get loose. He's quiet and pensive and thinking about things." By contrast, Gyllenhaal is a "free-wheeling actor. He is always looking around. He has three or four things going through his head, and normal stars just have one." It would mean trouble, Sheridan believes, if a director told Gyllenhaal to just stand there and hit his mark. "The way he lives in a scene is to be half there and half out there looking around. I found it completely fascinating."'


Jake may also be something of a surprise (though a well-rewarded one) to some in Prince of Persia. This was addressed by Jerry Bruckheimer in a new, short interview: 'Q: Jake Gyllenhaal doesn’t seem like an obvious choice to play the titular Prince of Persia, how did he come to be cast? Jerry Bruckheimer: First and foremost, because he’s a great young actor who’s already proven that he can play almost anything. Jake is also very athletic, and for his role as the Prince he put on a lot of muscle and worked out every day both before and during the shoot, which was very physically demanding. He’s really a perfect choice as the Prince, and a few people who have seen test screenings of the film have responded very enthusiastically to Jake’s performance.''



We have more fan pictures from the set of Love and Other Drugs, demonstrating very clearly that Jake attended the Brothers cocktail party very definitely dressed as Jamie Reidy. Many thanks to Bob and Michael who took the trouble to post their pictures.



To finish off today, how great is it that after all this time there is a new video - at least to me - from that shiniest of red carpets, Cannes and the Zodiac premiere. Hearing that music, seeing Jake, David, Chloe and Mark, brings it flooding back! Here's the clip.


Includes pictures from IHJ, Inquirer, Bob and Michael.

11 comments:

sheba said...

Just crawled out of bed to have a look and cheer myself up at all the wonderful, positive comments coming 'Brothers' way.

We have a lot to be thankful for here. Hope those that celebrate Thanksgiving had a wonderful time with family and friends. We should find a time to celebrate that here in the UK too. Maybe a pivotal Jake moment?

I have an embarassing question to ask. Considering myself a Brokie, I don't know what Prarie Day is. Please enlighten me.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! I hope you're ok :) It would be good to have some kind of equivalent of Thanksgiving here - I like the sound of it (although not all that shopping on the Friday...). I have no idea what Prairie Day is, I'm afraid. Googling it doesn't help much!

BBMISwear said...

Oooh...more good Brothers stuff here! I love listening to Jim (and others) talk about the cast. Jake Lovable?! Ya Think?! Most all reviews I've read so far have been great...a few not so great ones mixed in but overall quite the buzz for this movie. Not much longer now! :-)

At this point I would think we should start to see magazine articles (and maybe some covers)? It seems slow to me...but maybe I'm misjudging timing. Hopefully something will surface real soon. *practices patience*

I enjoyed watching Natalie on The View and David Letterman. I have to say Dave went on and on and on about how great the movie is and how everyone should absolutely go see it. I've never seen him so enthusiastic about something before - Natalie looked almost embarrassed with all his gushing!

I love that we get to keep tabs on the LAOD filming (thanks to fans) and wonder if they are sticking to schedule and wrapping up in the next week or so. I guess we'll know when the sightings and traffic problems stop!

How great to see that clip from Cannes...great memories for you WDW!! Speaking of...Cannes 2010 reminds me of Nailed and I watched Pee Wee Herman on Conan (just in case he talked about Nailed). Unfortunately his current PR Tour is for his stage show in which he is Pee Wee (not Paul Rubens) so no mention of Nailed. It was fun to think back on being introduced to Paul, though, and WHO did the introducing!!! *heart skips 3 beats* Will we really see/hear/learn more about Nailed in May 2010?? I hope so (but afraid to think about it too much). But, wow, we certainly have a lot of other things to think about in 2010, don't we?!

Thanksgiving was great here and it's always nice to have the "chill out" day off the Friday after. I laughed at the various comments made here about egg nog! I have to say that, to me, I don't taste egg at all (and probably wouldn't like it if I did)! I only taste the thick creamy sweet taste (which reminds me of a milk shake) and then I add Rum and Whoowhee!! Quite the treat (somewhat like a dessert drink) - Yum!! And as for shopping on Black Friday - No Freaking Way! Never have done that, never will. Plenty of time to do that without fighting (and I literally mean fighting) with all those crazies out there.

I've rambled enough...hope everyone is having a nice start to the weekend!

:-)

TD said...

'..typically gentle Jake Gyllenhaal' - oh I love that so much! That'll bring kind and sweet dreams.

Retreating back into lurkdom, good night all!

Anonymous said...

. "The way he lives in a scene is to be half there and half out there looking around. I found it completely fascinating."'

I just loved this quote about Jake, from Jim Sheridan!

WDW. Thanks for the Cannes video. Loved the end! When Jake was waving at all of you! And smiling. And pointing. After all some of us were living that Cannes experience with you every step of the way. :)

Uli said...

Hey! :) I haven't really managed to catch up thoroughly on all the posts of the last days yet... Mainly watched the videos in a hurry!
But damn, how I love all those clips from Brothers... Jake will be so good in this - showing all the emotions that go through Tommy... I could go crazy, when I think that I will probably will have to wait MONTHS to see it! Still no release date for Germany on IMDB... And then it will be dubbed... When does the DVD come out????

Hehe, I liked what Jake had to say about the paparazzi - especially his last words! ;D ;D ;D

Hey Sheba, it seems we are all bad Brokies... I also don't know what Prairie day is - unless you mixed it up with Pinecreek Day (Nov. 7th)? That is the day Jack and Ennis were supposed to meet at Pinecreek - according to the Deceased postcard Ennis received...
At the moment I feel like this will be a day when I will remember Brokeback Mountain till the end of my life - even if all this might fade away one day, on Pinecreek Day I will remember...

Have a good weekend everyone!!

PS: I agree about the "typically gentle Jake Gyllenhaal" with TD (Hey, long time no see! :))

Uli said...

He, the blogger word that showed up for the next (=this) post was "Nostri" - I guess that is Nostradamus' pet name...
Hey Nostri, what can you tell us about the future of Nailed, Oscars for Brothers, the German release date for Brothers and all the other Jake stuff we desperately want to know???

sheba said...

Hi WDW, the flu got me good and wasn't able to celebrate my two boys birthday yesterday so coming here cheered me up.

Hi Uli. Thanks for the correction, it must be the fever talking. Yes I meant Pine Creek Day and of course it all comes flooding back.

At the moment I feel like this will be a day when I will remember Brokeback Mountain till the end of my life - even if all this might fade away one day, on Pinecreek Day I will remember...

You put that so succinctly and echo my feelings absolutely. We have so much to be thankful for and especially the opportunity to change. Aaahhh... back to bed for me.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BBMISwear :-) Loved seeing the Letterman clip (unfortunately no sign of the View yet for non-USAians) - just amazing listening to Letterman gush like that! Hopefully he will encourage quite a few to see it. Magazines would be great!

The Cannes clip was wonderful - I grin when I watch it. OMG you and PeeWee! That was so incredible, that Jake introduced you to him! And he sounded sweet. Shame he didn't talk about Nailed at all.

Hmmm, I'm liking the sound of the eggnog more and more!

Hi TD! Glad to tempt you out of lurkdom :D It is a lovely description of Jake.

Thanks so much, Anon! I love it that people sill enjoy reminiscing with me over such a wonderful time.

Good to see you, Uli! I'm very glad you're getting the chance to catch up - there's been so much to enjoy. It's a crying shame that there's no release for Brothers in Germany yet. Seems weird to me. You're right, it may be out on DVD quicker.

I'm sorry to hear you've been so sick, Sheba - do feel better soon.

Whenever I think of Pine Creek day now, it's Brokies I think of.

Have a good day everyone! I've quickly put a new post up while the Letterman vid is still around.

paulh said...

I'm happy that Letterman liked "Brothers" so much. I envy him because he was allowed to see it before you or I could. :-(
From the previews I've seen, Tobey is a man on fire. I'm very happy that he has gotten a chance to show what a fine actor he is--and has been all along.

I sort of don't look forward to what will probably be an endless argument about whether "Brothers" was as good as the movie it was based on.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to see "An Education," which ahs finally opened in my area.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! I know, I wish we'd been able to see it already too. And agreed about the comparison between the movies - it's inevitable but I'd much focus on Jake and Jim's film. Enjoy An Education! I'm glad it's got round to your neck of the woods at last.