Monday 21 May 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - I love your shirt. The awkwardness of Cannes

Judging by the number of short, and often repetitive, interviews that have emerged over the last few days, it is clear that there is a lot more to being an actor at Cannes than simply walking the red carpet and sitting through your film for the umpteenth time.


An article on the BBC news website paints a very pleasing picture of Jake Gyllenhaal at Cannes, sitting by the Mediterranean at his luxury hotel, maybe sipping on a drink with umbrellas, while he answers the same old questions. 'As Jake Gyllenhaal sits giving interviews about his new film Zodiac, in competition in Cannes, a speedboat full of paparazzi bobs up and down in the Mediterranean behind him. "Don't know what they're looking for," says the relaxed actor - but he is aware this is his life now.' And what a life it is.

Jakes, a Cannes Virgin, compares this experience to his previous festival experience of Venice, where famoulsly Brokeback Mountain took the prize. "When we came to Venice with Brokeback Mountain, we were sort of blown away by the response. This is bigger, and more glamorous, and yet really focused on the film-maker... Venice is beautiful, but I never got to do my interviews by the ocean. This is great - it's beautiful."


Meanwhile, a short article by Reuters discusses just what it is about Cannes that gives its press conferences 'their special, slightly awkward, feeling'. The stage-management and the adoration of the press - normally so hard to impress - for the Hollywood beauties before them combine to make the conferences all about 'mood' rather than about conveying information.

An example given is the Zodiac press confereence, during which David Fincher was asked:'“Do you think that Jake is considered one of the most promising actors of his generation?” Gyllenhaal, sitting alongside, responded with a creditable show of self- mockery and he had fulsome, if impenetrable, praise for his co-star Robert Downey Jr. “Working with Robert is like working in the eighth dimension,” he said. He tells a Chinese journalist: “I love your shirt”.'


French TV showed a brief film about Zodiac which is of particular interest because it shows the real-life Toschi and a younger Graysmith. It also features behind the scenes shots from the lakeside killing sequence and the oddity (for UK audiences) of Jake Gyllenhaal as Graysmith, dubbed into French. However, the glory of this short video is that it opens with moments from that glamorous red carpet event of 18 May, in which Jake couldn't look happier nor his smile broader. Further footage from the red carpet can also be seen in this brief film, from Italian TV this time.

Pictures from JustJared.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WDW it's amazing how you manage to bring us all these precious nuggets of information. Down the line we will look back with pride on your Zodiac-in-Cannes coverage. It has a "cinematic" feel. I don't think anybody has attempted, leave alone succeeded, to wrap the whole magnificent event into an exciting capsule like you're giving us. Thank you!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Incogita, thanks so much for the kind comment. Being in Cannes brought home to me what a truly mad world it is and I can hardly fathom how it must seem when you're Jake and right at the centre of the whirlwind.

Anonymous said...

I second everything Incognita said. I thank you from the heart for all of the hard work and passion you are putting into this blog. Anyone can tell how much you respect and adore Jake. I love what you are doing for Zodiac and only wish you had been around for Brokeback. But I know that we can count on you to bring a fresh approach to BBM if anything surfaces that we haven't seen like that fabulous Italian interview. I am looking forward to Rendition even more because I know you will be there to take us to new levels!

Anonymous said...

Yes WDW, thanks so much for your Cannes coverage! It's been almost like being there for us. And that wonderful, *sigh*-able scenery, made even more so with Jake there! :)

Anonymous said...

I only recently discovered the existence of your blog, and I am so glad I did. Thank you for bringing us all these wonderful pictures (both written and photographic) of Jake.

I hope you keep this blog going..... I know it is a lot of work, but I really like the vibe here so far!

Anonymous said...

What they all said! Intelligence and passion are a perfect combination as demonstrated here -- and embodied in Jake himself. Thanks, WDW!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks everyone :D

Dani - yes, you can certainly count on me talking every opportunity to talk about Brokeback and I'll always be on the lookout for anything new or anything that reappears and deserves a fresh viewing.

Beckela - it's good to hear that Jake knows all about passion too. I'm sure he would love to be described as someone else's passion.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Birdie

I'm so glad you've discovered WDW and that you like it here. I'll definitely keep it going. It swallows up the hours like I can't believe but it's something I feel I have to do.

I appreciate you commenting. It's always good to know there are people out there interested.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - you know, when I was in Cannes, I hardly noticed the scenery - terrible! I was staying in Nice and I appreciated the beauty of the old town and the mountains along the back, but as soon as I was in Cannes.... Jake, that's all I could see, and acre upon acre of red carpet.

Thanks for commenting.

Unknown said...

The origins of the contemporary golf shirt and polo shirt goes back to the late 1920's. Designed by a world-ranked tennis player, his tennis shirt soon became the shirt-style of choice among athletes whose sport was played outdoors.
see more details: calabrese