Friday 15 June 2007

Zodiac sounds of irresolution - and Gyllenhaal updates

With all this talk of broadway plays and musicals, I thought it timely to mention that on 13 July a new musical, Taking Flight, opens in London's Menier Chocolate Factory. I mention it because it is written by David Shire, Zodiac's composer, in partnership with Richard Maltby, Jr. Take Flight tells the 'funny, moving and inspirational stories of the pioneers of flight - the Wright Brothers, Charles Lindbergh andAmelia Earhardt'.


I had little idea that David Shire was a writer of shows, knowing him instead for - of course - Zodiac and the score of All the President's Men. This story has inspired me to relisten to Shire's soundtrack for Zodiac on a CD which has some little added extras, including two photos I've not seen elsewhere and an audio 'easter egg' from Shire's first meeting with David Fincher and sound designer Ren Klyce after seeing Zodiac for the very first time.


Shire explains that originally David Fincher had wished to have no instrumental score for Zodiac, just a backdrop of songs from the period. In the end, Fincher lit Zodiac with forty minutes of new score. 'Irresolution' is the word that Shire uses to describe his composition, comprising as it does a series of fragments which are only heard together towards the end as a resolution of sorts comes about. Robert Graysmith's score reflects his growing obsession and his increasing forcefulness. The score for Graysmith - and for Toschi - is about disharmony/harmony, rather than about melody - the harmony or otherwise of strings, trumpet and French horn for Toschi and piano for Graysmith.


In his conversation with Fincher and Klyce, Shire curiously describes his inspiration - all from Graysmith's book and the script as he had yet to see the fim. He says that the strings provided "the context for murder and sadness... and the loss", trumpets and French horn were for Ruffalo, whom Shire felt lay at the centre of the film, and the piano was for Jake. "It's almost like you can take an instrument for a character. I just feel like there's such dignity to that... it's almost like seeing Claude Rains being tied to a stake and shot.. it has that sort of feeling of going down with dignity... like Al Guiness at the end of the Bridge over the River Kwai - as much as he f**ked up, he tried. I love that."


In other news, speculation still continues on Jake's much hoped for debut on Broadway. The Washington Post has this to say today: 'Last week, Oscar-nominated actor Jake Gyllenhaal did a private reading of "Farragut North" (written by playwright and former Dean campaigner Beau Willimon) about the presidential hopes of a charismatic, unorthodox candidate and his staff. The 26-year-old "Brokeback Mountain" star would play the idealistic young communications director sabotaged by old political dogs with dirty tricks, reports the New York Post. If he's cast, it would be Gyllenhaal's Broadway debut. "Jake was a big campaign supporter of mine, so I hope he takes it," Dean told us yesterday. "But I want him to play me." The DNC chairman likes the concept -- "Hell, I'll go to it" -- even if it includes his famous scream. "I'd like to see him do that."


Maggie and her family, as expected, are now in Chicago where she is filming the new Batman movie. The Chicago Sun-Times informs us: 'MAGGIE MOMENTS: In town filming the new ''Batman'' flick, Maggie Gyllenhaal was spied happily shopping with baby daughter Ramona at Jake on Rush (mostly perusing the shoe selections) and dining with fiance Peter Sarsgaard at Le Colonial (reserved under the name ''Gold''). ... After Chicago filming, Gyllenhaal may next head to Broadway to star as Nellie Forbush in a ''South Pacific'' revival. ... It could be a family reunion on the Great White Way, as Maggie's brother Jake Gyllenhaal is thinking of making his Broadway debut in the upcoming political drama ''Farragut North'' -- playing the communications director for an unorthodox presidential candidate, based on Howard Dean.'

So with Maggie in Chicago, is Jake still in NYC for some last-minute negotiations?

Includes two pictures from IHJ.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. Maltby and Shire have done a number of shows together. A compilation of sorts was done a few years ago called Closer Than Ever, which is available on CD. It contains some of their best songs.

I hope Maggie and Jake are on Broadway at the same time -- how exciting! And if either of them ever get a hankering to do a revival (doubtful), I suggest The Royal Family -- fabulous and funny show "loosely based" on the Barrymores and takes place in the 1930s, I think. Jake, of course, would play the flamboyant John Barrymore-like character. He could ham it up REAL good!

Anonymous said...

Interesting comments by Shire -- forgot to say that above.

I also love Dean's saying he wants Jake to play HIM. How funny! Can't say I blame him.

Wonderful post, once again, WDW. You are my major source of Jake news.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant post WDW! I'm really enthralled with the concept of "irresolution" and the representation of the characters with instruments. I've learnt a great deal from your post. Thank you.

Today I was lsitening to Hurdy-Gurdy Man and was it creepy!! And now this post about the 40 minutes of original instrumental music. I can't wait for the Zodiac DVD.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Beckela

Thanks for letting me know about that compilation. I'll have to get it. I really do like the Zodiac score, I think it matched the original song soundtrack perfectly, as it does the mood of the film and the state of the characters.

I'm so glad you like the site, Beckela. It's all happening today so I just put another post up!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Incognita - thanks very much for that. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and listening for this post and it's made me think about film scores in a new way. Zodiac is such a perfect collection of elements - the acting, script, cinematography, the director's eye for detail, the sets and the music.

I adore Hurdy Gurdy and Easy to be Hard.

Thanks very much for commenting.

Anonymous said...

And I forgot to add, delicious pictures of Graysmith-Jake

Wet Dark and Wild said...

They're gorgeous pics, aren't they.

Anonymous said...

Hello all,

So many exciting things going on! That was fascinating about the Zodiac score, and that each character represented an instrument. I'm glad Jake was the piano. :) Although there were times when it sounded very sharp, like nerves being stretched to the breaking point, like in my favorite "Because nobody else will" scene. That is one of my fave pics of Jake from Zodiac too; all deep in thought. He's got a beautiful profile, and his beautiful hands of course.

Farragut North ought to be interesting; I really think Howard Dean got a bad deal by the media, when they took the "scream" incident and put what may have been an entirely different spin on what actually may have transpired. It's all in perception. It harmed his campaign I think. The media wields a lot of power, and it's dangerous. I read where certain news programs expressed regret about overplaying it. It's nice that so many would like Jake to play them tho! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for bringing the soundtrack to my attention. I read your blog just before I went watching the original version of ZODIAC and I tried to concentrate on the music and how it is used in the film. Although I have to admit that it is difficult to concentrate on something else when Jake is on screen....

The music is really perfect and it is fascinating seeing how the different instruments are matching with the characters. And "Hurdy Gurdy man" is getting me goose-skin...
What a perfect film....

Anonymous said...

I thought the "Zodiac" soundtrack was fantastic. IMHO, it accomplished what a great soundtrack should...... enhances and illuminates the story on screen.

I swear, I will never be able to hear "Hurdy Gurdy Man" again without getting creeped out!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina

This is so well put: Although there were times when it sounded very sharp, like nerves being stretched to the breaking point, like in my favorite "Because nobody else will" scene. - Shire really did capture that on edge feeling and the nervous energy of Graysmith - he rarely keeps still and the music reflects that.

Hey Carla that's great that you were thinking about the music when you saw the film because of the feature. I can see how that would be a difficult task...

And I have exactly the same reaction as you and Birdie whenever I hear Hurdy Gurdy Man.

Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is Stephanie from IHJ, would it be all right if I snagged your 2 scans from the Zodiac CD booklet for the site? Please let me know! Thanks so much. =)

Anonymous said...

^^ I went ahead and added the scans (with credit) to the gallery. I hope you don't mind! If you do, let me know and I'll remove them. =)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Stephanie - Definitely, use them or anything else - least I can do because where would I or any other Jake fan be without all your hard work.

I'm going to put any scans up of things that I see, so just use anything. No need to ask. :D

Very glad to see you here!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Stephanie - I'll let you know when I have scans of anything. There are a couple of older things in here, so I'll rummage through and let you know.

Anonymous said...

Awww, thank you! That'd be great! And yes, I lurk here from time to time. hehe My friend pointed me in the direction of your blog a couple weeks ago and since then, I've popped in from time to time to check out what you post. =D

I do have one little .. semi-request. *blush* If you were the one who scanned the 'American Cinematographer' magazine article in your April 25th post, would you be able to scan the entire thing? (It seems as though there might have been more because some text is missing). No worries if you can't do it, I'll understand! But it caught my eye while skimming back a few pages. I don't think we have that! Here's the link to the post if you don't know what I'm talking about ..

http://wetdarkandwild.blogspot.com/2007/04/harris-savides-watch-out-youll-get-hug.html

Thank you again for letting me use the soundtrack scans. I (and the other Jake fans, I'm sure) really appreciate that! The pics were brand new to me. =D

Stephanie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Stephanie

I feel like I should put out the red carpet for you or something.....

I've just put all of the Cinematography scans in a PM to you at IHJ.

I'll go back through the site when I have some time and see if there's anything else. generally I would put all of the pages up but this was a very long article. I think fans would be interested in reading it all though so it would be so good if you could put it up.

I thought the two pictures from the CD were wonderful. There are a couple of montages in there as well. i'll scan those and send them across along with a scan of David Shire's blurb.

So glad you pop by :D

Anonymous said...

From the American Cinematography thread:

A Starbucks run arrives. The personal assistant makes sure Fincher has decaf.

"They don't want to get me hopped up!" [Fincher said].


HOW did I miss this thread? I didn't see it before.This made me laugh out loud. This whole segment was very funny, it's great that David Fincher has a sense of humor about it all. As far as getting a hug from Jake, we should all be so lucky! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina

I'm glad you found the thread now. It gives a great impression of what it must be like to work for David Fincer, arouing feelings of irritation but also, I think, some affection.

And I love the idea that Jake is well known for his hugs! Yes, I'd like one (just the one?) of those two :D

Thanks for commenting on this, I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

WDW, I SO enjoy stopping in here! Lots of great information and pictures. I might be mistaken, but isn't David Shire the husband of Talia Shire who was Adrian in the Rocky movies (w. Sylvester stallone) and Talia, of course is the sister of Francis Ford Coppola.
I think Jake is gonna do the play. I'm just reading tealeaves, but it's a strong feeling i have. Do you know anything as far as background on the playwright and the director of Farragut NOrth? In terms of their background and their trackrecord so far? Any word on the rest of the casting?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BobbyAnna - thanks for that interesting and thought-provoking comment.

I believe Shire was once married to Talia but is now married to Didi Conn who was Frenchy in the Grease movie - remember her, eh? memories...

I hope you're right about the play - I'm doing research on this whole thing as we speak. Jake always seems to open up whole new areas to think about.

I'm glad you like the site, and I'm very glad you commented ;D

Anonymous said...

WDW: LOL @ 'put out the red carpet'. =P Awww, you're sweet. But I'm just a fan like you guys here! I don't think I deserve any special treatment. Silly! =)

Thank you so much for the scans also! I really appreciate it! =) I will add them sometime this week. And yes, I'd really appreciate any older stuff you have, if it's not on IHJ! =D As for scans of the montages on the soundtrack, that'd be great too. I'm so ashamed, I don't own the soundtrack. *sigh* I should have bought it, just for the new pictures. haha I probably will eventually. Ah well .. I'm glad you do have it and are willing to scan them! =) Thank you again!

Stephanie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

No problem, Stephanie - and you are no ordinary fan :D

Expect more scans whenever I find them.