Tuesday 24 July 2007

It's a busy night for the Gyllenhaals

Tonight I am faced with a host of Gyllenhaal choices - more of that below - but it can't have escaped your attention that today is 24 July - a most anticpated date for some of us. It seemed like we were made to wait for Zodiac forever, with all those delays without explanation. And the wait for the Zodiac trailer... the only wait that's seeming longer is that for the Rendition trailer. But now all that is in the past (for Zodiac anyway), because today the DVD (barebones as it is) is out in the US. This release has been accompanied by a whole fanfair of reviews, some of which have been critical but many more have positively raved about the film and are looking ahead with more excitement to the release of the all-singing and all-dancing edition, possibly in the New Year.


So I've been looking around at some of the reviews and enjoying this spotlight upon Jake Gyllenhaal, because he surely deserves it. For instance, Chicago's Daily Herald says: 'Fincher abandons the look-at-me camera tricks and pyrotechnics that have marred his previous films... and lets himself disappear into the story. The result is a stripped-down but elegant narrative that mesmerizes for the film's full 2¨ hours. The three lead actors - Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal - are similarly low-key in their performances, and all the more effective for it. "Zodiac" resembles the morally complicated cop movies of the 1970s; it's an absolute must-see.'


Blogcritics Magazine says of the 'criminally ignored' Zodiac: 'The procedural form of the narrative doesn't allow for the visual kinetics that are something of a trademark in Fincher's films. However, that does not mean that this is a bland looking film — this is Fincher doing mainstream, which is better than mainstream. There is still room for some visual flourishes, and he even makes a static shot of a conversation interesting to watch... Despite the lack of outside touches, this is a movie that delivers the goods. It is an engrossing twist on the serial killer genre. It is highlighted by a tight script, effective editing, and good performances. This is another winner for David Fincher, and a fascinating look at the way a life can be consumed with the search for the truth, and the procedures employed in that search, a personal procedural, if you will. Methodically paced, but never slow, despite the lack of gunfights, car chases, and explosions, creating a more intellectual journey.'


The Toronto Star says of Fincher: 'A fan-boy fave ever since he edged up the serial killer genre with Se7en and nailed cubicle-culture nihilism with Fight Club, Fincher has made his most assured, intelligent and resonant work with Zodiac. And while the apparent maturity may cost him his geek base and some initial box-office action, it bodes well for those who miss movies that lure you into darkness and slowly close the door.' Interestingly enough, the San Francisco Chronicle itself is little affected: 'David Fincher's dramatization of an infamous unsolved serial murder case certainly doesn't drag on as long as the investigation itself, but the overlong movie sometimes feels like it.'


In a new interview, Robert Graysmith describes how he felt during the reality of one of the film's most frightening moments, which will now affect how I view it. I won't describe that here as I know not everyone will have seen Zodiac yet and are waiting for their copies. But I will highlight his description of his next project: 'I've got on my screen right now Shooting Zodiac which is those three years I followed David Fincher around taking his picture and all that. It's an odd choice for a book. Usually, they do something as they're filming. Well, my book actually ends before they film anything. It's just simply them writing the script and all their adventures and becoming obsessed with the case. Also, trying to convince the studio to make this film. It simply ends with, "We've been greenlit, we're making the film." I love that. It's simply three Hollywood detectives. I think it really gets down to that.' It seems as if Zodiac will remain Robert's lifelong obsession.


In a previous interview, Robert Graysmith described the different approaches of Zodiac's actors: 'Now I spent a few days with Jake Gyllenhaal (who plays Graysmith in the film) – he was just off of filming Jarhead, and his cell phone was all scratched up from being dropped in the sand so much. Now, I think he must act a lot internally, because I never told him I was a Boy Scout., but that's in the film. But anyway, he's so different from Mark Ruffalo, and from Downey too. They really got three different kinds of actors. But Jake, he isn't doing an impersonation, although somehow they got the same clothes I used to wear, the same car -- not the exact one, but the same make and model, and even the license plate number... So one of the things is that Ruffalo, he's a very good actor – he plays Inspector Toschi, who's been my friend for many years. And Ruffalo, he is Toschi all the way, it gets a little annoying after awhile, because he is Toschi, he's got the hair and everything. But one of the things he doesn't have is Toschi's way with a gun. So he's got this one scene where he's supposed to cock this gun expertly and do something with it. And Ruffalo just couldn't get it. So they only shot him from here up (indicates his chest), and they dub in the sound of the gun cocking. That's the only way that scene was ever gonna get done. So you've got Downey who transcends the physical, and Jake who does everything internally, and then you've got Ruffalo who is Toschi. So it's a good mix.'

When I see the below picture of Jake and Robert Graysmith from the New York screening of Zodiac, I find myself thinking that Jake can't help himself from reverting to character when beside this man.



Today is Gyllenhaal Night on UK TV

I'm faced with a dilemma tonight - I'm more than ready to settle down with the wine and chocolates to wallow in all 2 hours and 38 minutes of Zodiac, but the UK's Film 4 has decided to coincide the DVD's release (I feel unintentionally), with a Gyllenhaal night! This begins at 9pm with The Good Girl, which is followed at 10.45pm by Secretary. Finally, at 12.50am there is a brief programme in which Maggie discusses SherryBaby. At least one site, has started to associate Maggie's performance in SherryBaby with an Oscar nomination - I fear this is wishful thinking.


This has given me the opportunity to continue my selection of photos of Jake at premiere events and screenings! Here we have Jake and Jennifer Aniston at screenings of The Good Girl in Hollywood and at Sundance, both in 2002. The photographs with Maggie are from the New York premiere of Secretary.





Talking of The Good Girl, here is a video from The Today Show in which Jake, fresh from filming Moonlight Mile, discusses working with Jennifer, and what it was like to walk into a room and people think you unbalanced. And if you want to hear Jake tell you how to pronounce his name, this is the perfect video for that. He concludes with Dustiin Hoffmann's advice, "You're good but you've got to get better. Get on stage". Of course, that is exactly what Jake did and we are reaping the benefits of that with Zodiac and, no doubt, Rendition.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

29 comments:

sass said...

Thanks for all the wonderful articles/reviews.
I want/have my ZODIAC!:):)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sass - thanks for the comment and enjoy the film! I went for watching The Good Girl in the end and it's just finished, therefore, I'm a wreck... but watching Secretary now.

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW! Hope you're enjoying Secretary - let us know what you think. I saw The Good Girl advertised on the tv guide but I decided not to watch it cos TwistedLogic Junior was still up and about and she doesn't need to see her mum have a near nervous breakdown- that film messes with my head a lot:(
I love the video though, thanks for posting it! I wish Dustin Hoffman would order Jake to return to the West End!!!
Thanks for all the Zodiac reviews btw. I tend to skip past the Zodiac posts cos I haven't seen it yet but when I do I plan to go back and read them all:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Twisted Logic - I made sure any Zodiac elements in this post were safe for you! I can't wait for you to see Zodiac and tell me what you think.

I have an admission to make - tonight was the first time I've properly watched The Good Girl. I don't know why but I've never really got on with this film - but tonight I did and I feel I've done it and Jake an injustice! I loved it and was not a little weepy in places :( So I must write some more about that film and not just dismiss it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Secretary - Maggie is an extremely sexy young lady and reminds me in this in 101 ways of her brother. I must do a proper Secretary post.

It's good news for a UK station to dedicate an evening to the Gyllenhaals - Maggie introduced Secretary - but the announcer cannot pronounce - she should have seen the Good Girls video...

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW, I appreciate you making the post spoiler free. It's not just spoilers though, I tend to not read any reviews of anything if I know I'm definitely going to see it or if it's an album I won't read reviews either until I've heard it myself first. I like to have as little information and outside opinions as possible and then go back and see what other people thought. It's SO frustrating though! I'm sorely tempted to order the dvd!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Good Girl. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with that film for reasons I can't really explain. Some aspects of it are a bit close to home for me.
look forward to a Secretary post from you as well. And yes,I heard the Film4 announcer too- grrr! It's so annoying when they do that, how hard is it to do a little bit of reasearch?! I remember when Jake was in Cannes and someone interviewed him for Radio 1 and Edith Bowman said his name wrong, then she asked the guy who interviewed Jake how to pronounce his name, and even then she still got it wrong! SO annoying. And it's so embarrassing that it's always British interviewers who do it- Jake must think we're a nation of philistines! And it's just downright rude!

Anonymous said...

^Sorry about that rant. It's just that people mispronouncing Jake's name is one of my pet hates.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Twisted Logic - I don't blame you at all not looking at anything to do with Zodiac until you see it - I did exactly the same thing.

It is absolutely infuriating when Jake's name is mispronounced - he must have had a world of patience dealing with that over the years. I don't know how he stays so polite. I suppose it's something you have to put up with on the way to the top but it must be frustrating and surely now there are no excuses. You'd have thought that if you're about to meet and interview Jake Gyllenhaal you would at least research how to pronounce his name. As you say - it's just being polite. So rant away!

Anonymous said...

You're right- there's no excuse. All you have to do is look at his imdb page and it says on there how to pronounce his name! To be fair, I would probably forget how to pronounce my own name if I ever met Jake but for an interviewer or TV announcer or whatever to do it, it's just so unprofessional. Ok, rant over!

I honestly don't think I can wait until September to see Zodiac. I followed an anonymous tip off and tried to change the code on my dvd player but of course I didn't have a US dvd handy to check if it worked.. So I ordered a US dvd that Twisted Logic Junior wanted as a reward for getting an excellent school report (sorry, just going into proud mum mode here) so if that works I might just order Zodiac for myself. So much for principles and standing firm against the greed of the film studios! The things Jake makes me do!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Well, of course, the theatrical version will only be available on this edition of the DVD. To me that's reason enough to buy it - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D So good luck with the test DVD and congratulations to brainy Twisted Logic Jr!

Anonymous said...

The fact that the theatre version of Zodiac is only available on this dvd is as good a reason as any! But at the same time it's such a cynical way to exploit fans that part of me wants to refuse to buy it for that very reason. But the part of me that wants (no, make that NEEDS) to see as much of Jake as soon as possible is shouting louder at the moment. What's a Gyllenhaalic to do?

I don't know how much of TwistedLogic Junior's braininess is down to me, but I hope she grows up to have more willpower than me!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm afraid that as far as Jake and willpower goes, mine flew out of the window a long time ago. I'm also a collector and have a mass of Jake bits and pieces so I feel I can hardly forego a DVD :D Mind you, it's because of this impulse and drive - and recklessness I think - that I got to see Jake twice this year so I feel it's served me well. As far as Jake goes, I'm never going to grow up and be sensible :D

Well, it's been a great Gyllenhaal day - very emotional watching Good Girl and intrigued by Secretary - and very impressed my Maggie. Time to crawl off... G'night! *)

Anonymous said...

Hey WDw, if anyone deserves to see Jake any number of times it's you. I can't say enough what a wonderful job you do here:)
Hope you have swet Jake dreams tonight! Goodnight xx

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, WDW, with all of the great Gyllenhaal movies on TV tonight in the UK! Thanks for the interview with Robert Graysmith - I'll have to watch that scene again.

I haven't seen The Secretary or Sherrybabyyet, and I really would love to do a "review" of them with you all. I also have The Good Girl in my collection at home; I really liked Jake in it, and Jennifer too. What a dilemma she had. ;) I'll have to watch it again tho, it's only Brokeback Mountain I know by heart! :)

As far as Jake's beautiful last name, I'd probably forget my own name if faced with having to interview him, so I'm a little sympathetic. :)

Yay to TwistedLogic Jr. for doing so well on her report! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Twisted Logic - it's a pleasure :D

Hi Marina - I thought that scene was spooky before, now it's going to really terrify me!

I only watched The Good Girl on a whim tonight, mainly as I wanted to watch Secretary that followed it - but I'm so glad I did. When I saw it before I just couldn't empathise with wither Jennifer's or Jake's character. But this time I could. When Jake says that he's all her's it was such a beautiful moment. And I thought at the end that it's no wonder Jennifer and Jake look so close - they had such a chemistry in this film. So this is no longer my least favourite Jake film - that title goes to Proof!

Anonymous said...

Gahhhh! How lucky can you get!!! The Good Girl, Secretary and Zodiac...an embarrassment of riches from where I sit!!! LOL!!!
The Good Girl is on my shelf, and today, I went straight to Blockbusters to rent Zodiac. I intend to buy it, but I wanted to just see it again first. I really love The Good Girl. In fact, the more I've seen it, the more I appreciate it. I am up for a discussion whenever you like! I saw Secretary twice. Once when it first came out and the again about two years later. Never could get in to it. Love Maggie. Loved Sherrybaby, but I guess I have to wait and see Secretary again one of these days. Tonight, I am watching Zodiac. Will probably watch it twice, then return it, then but it next week!
WDW, I absolutely loved the Matt Lauer/Jake interview about Good Girl!!! Jake looks SO young...and so sweet.He seems such a genuinely happy person, just radiates a sort of joyful spirit. Hate to sound so sappy, but he just has to be one of the most loveable people! IMVHO.

Anonymous said...

Some random thoughts as I read.

WDW -- talking of Jake and willpower I have a rather different viewpoint here. Jake has "willed" me to do some unusual and good things in the past one year which I may have never found myself doing otherwise. I look at my Jake-connection as highly motivational. Hence I do not resist any "Jake offering" if you know what I mean.

Talking of Jake's surname, yes it is annoying to hear it mispronounced. But I'm sure his Swedish ancestors would be equally annoyed at the Americanization of the pronunciation. I heard it pronounced the Swedish way on a Swedish website and the "G" is somewhere between "y" and "zh" and the haal is stretched out as an Indian would say it. It reminds me that 100% of our Indian surnames are mispronounced or even totally modified by ourselves to be sometimes meaningless --- all because we've adopted the "Anglicized" form. Our ancestors would toss and turn in their graves(fortunately the Hindus are blissfully free from those!) to hear us play with our heritage thus. But then that's called adaptation for survival!!!!! And in the end ones name means something to oneself so there's a particular way one likes it said. Though born, raised and living entirely in the state of Bengal, I for instance, do not pronounce my first name "Mayalakshmi" the Bengali way(the people at large do and it sounds quite quite different!) because for one thing my parents chose it as a fusion of their state of adoption(the first part) with their personal heritage(the second part) and the part that's "mispronounced" here is the second -- so it would take away from what it symbolizes. It also happens to be a name from mythology but that's not why they chose it -- I don't think they even knew. Names are a fascinating subject of study and I never tire of going into their origins and mutations and the strong emotions associated with them. Where did I start and where have I arrived? Oh Jake! And to think the post was on Zodiac!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna - I hope you have a great Zodiac Day! There's something about the ecitement of settling down with a new Jake DVD and watching it for the first time in the privacy of your own home. With Zodiac that certainly helps - I think it translates well to the small screen - all those details.

That Matt Lauer interview certainly showed how Jake has changed in the last five years - I adore this sweet, happy young Jake but in retrospect, I love the man Jake's become :D

Hi Incognita - what an interesting comment. I would be lost when it comes to the pronunciation of names in India and the English have certainly been guilty of mass Anglicisation of names across much of the world. It is interesting how names and their meaning can become a part of identity. My proper long name is a name from English history and, perhaps purely by coincidence, I have been interested in history my whole life.

Anonymous said...

The Good Girl is officially my second favourite Jake film. I know what twistedlogic is saying, but the second time I saw GG that phase of my life had passed and I appreciated it for the black comedy it is. The "cherries" scene is priceless. All the principals have a real comedy gift.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anouska the Critic - I feel like I had an enlightenment moment with The Good Girl last night. I saw it the first time shortly after BBM as part of my Getting to Know Jake thing, and it just left me cold. I probably wasn't in the right state for it so close to BBM...

But now watching it again, I can appreciate Jennifer's character and sympathise with her more than I could before and I can see the humour in her tragedy. I also just found myself enjoying this other Jake and his timing and some incredible facial expressions. And I even laughed - I found it funny when she kicked him out of the car, I don't know why. The scene where he tells her that he's all her's brought tears to my eyes.

I must say though that I do like the films where Jake's characters are still breathing in the end, and are even happy ;D

Anonymous said...

I love the Holden role, WDW, it's a subtle piece of acting - Jake had to have obvious appeal, yet be whiny, needy and borderline enough to repel at the same time (i.e. the GG's dilemma had to be sustained and explicable).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

When you think about it Anouska - Jake really did an amazing thing with Holden - he actually managed to make me sympathise with Justine as she fed him poisoned fruit and yet the look of desperate love in his eyes made me want all his schemes to work out. But what a situation for Justine to be in!

Anonymous said...

"... it's a subtle piece of acting - Jake had to have obvious appeal, yet be whiny, needy and borderline enough to repel at the same time (i.e. the GG's dilemma had to be sustained and explicable...")

What she said! I sorta felt sorry for Justine, but she really irritated me, too. Everyone did have brilliant comedic instincts. I've seen it so many times now, I can almost recite the lines by heart. GG really offers so much to think about. It really gives focus and dimension to the sort of invisible people who populate our lives. One thing: GG made me discover the delightfully talented Zooey Deschanel. Would love to see her work with Jake again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna It really gives focus and dimension to the sort of invisible people who populate our lives.

Most definitely - but to live in a town full of Jakes and Jennifers....And yet they were able to confine so much that you're almost able to forget that these are two amazingly beautiful people.

Anonymous said...

Names are a fascinating subject of study and I never tire of going into their origins and mutations and the strong emotions associated with them.

I agree, Incognita! I love names and their meanings, whether giving a name to a child or a character. I love the meanings and origins or surnames, and the symbolism associated with the names of characters in films and stories.

The Good Girl - I thought it had some very quirky-funny lines, especially by Zooey Dechanel as Cheryl also. Tim Blake Nelson I always enjoy. Holden had such a sweet innocence and vulnerability - Jake played him so well. I could understand Justine as well, I enjoyed her narration of her story, almost like she was an observer and not a participant in her own life - the ironies and absurdities, some funny and some sad. I love the "crossroads" scene, very well done. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Marina - I liked that scene too.

I could understand Justine as well, I enjoyed her narration of her story, almost like she was an observer and not a participant in her own life - the ironies and absurdities, some funny and some sad. Small town life seems to have more than its fair share of these ironies and absurdities. In cities maybe they pass us by and we don't have time to spot them.

Anonymous said...

WOW, WDW! I have been away on a lovely holiday for a week and I can see I will have to spend my first day back catching up on all the new information you have put up. I know there is no "new" news at the moment but you have such a special way of presenting the old and the new. Many of us have not been fans for a very long time so even looking at old interviews is a treat because it gives us a chance to know more about Jake and enrich our appreciation. I am sure I have said that before, but it bears repeating. It's great if there is something new, but I am never disappointed with WDW. Even if another site has the latest breaking photo, I know you are going to give us more than "just the picture". So now I will be off to catch up on all the goodies and then be back in the groove to comment soon. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Dani - welcome back :) And thanks very much for those kind words. Enjoy catching up!

ATD said...

A most excellent article, as ever. Your talent is amazing – ever considered a career as a writer? ;-)

I was so glad to hear that you are OK and the water has not got you yet – still I am worried and I promised I would send you some armbands just in case.

Bet you weren’t expecting these….on the other hand you have known me long enough that you probably were!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ged my friend, thanks. No need to worry about me - although it's very nice of you to do so : The flood's moved a little down river now to my beautiful Oxford so I'm thinking of my friends there. So no need for the armbands. And yes, knowing you as I do, that came as no surprise and I only have one thing to say - uuugggghhhh - Jake rescue me! ;D

Back to Zodiac....