Sunday 8 July 2007

Jake - We have the opportunity to create hope

Everyone has to speak up a bit today because my hearing has taken a bashing - I'm blaming Metallica and Spinal Tap. More on that below because for today's post I thought I'd be On topic, then Slightly less on topic and, finally, Totally off topic.


It can only be a good thing that, in the last few days, the environment has become a subject that everyone - wth the possible exception of the politicians and billionaires than could actually bring change about - can have an opinion on. Jake Gyllenhaal, just like the rest of us, has talked about how he does the little things himself that we all can do, such as turning off lights. But Jake is in the position where he can be a part of one of the most influential forms of communication, through movies. Jake said in the Today Show interview about The Day After Tomorrow that 'every movie should have a reason' and it is very possible that he believes that he should also have a reason for every role and that responsibility comes with success. However, it should also be fun - to do and to watch.



The Day After Tomorrow is the perfect example of how Hollywood treats a global catastrophe and some people will never like big summer blockbusters. I have a weakness for them myself, as I believe Jake admitted once, and I think that, despite its many preposterous presumptions and situations, its skewy science and some dodgy lines, it's a film that many people went to see and it would have left them with a very stark and dramatic picture of the very worst that could happen as a result of our damage to nature. That has to be a good thing.



Fortuitously, another video interview has turned up, from the premiere for the trailer of The Day After Tomorrow, in which Jake discusses the shock to his system that he felt in taking on an action movie and all of the new challenges that this presented to him as an actor. "It was so different from anything I've ever done... It was a whole different muscle in my brain, it was whole different muscles in my body! A whole different experience for me and in some ways a lot harder than what I've been used to because it took a lot of imagination - it felt like I was kind of a kid again - looking at something that didn't really exist, realising that I was the one that was going to make it look real. I was the one going to mke people go like 'that's crap', or it's not. And that is really fun."


As for the message of the film: "We ourselves are the antagonists in the film, which is the overall message, and I think that nature is pretty benevolent in everything that it delivers... We have the opportunity to create hope and destroy it." This video is worth watching alone for Jake's embarrassed giggle and little squirm at the end on being asked if he is ready to be America's next heartthrob!


Jake is always careful about what he reveals in interviews but he is never worried about voicing an opinion if he believes it is one worth hearing. This Gyllenhaal trait is not reserved for Jake alone - yesterday Maggie Gyllenhaal was the subject of one of those cerebral and penetrating interviews in The Guardian that the paper is so good at. Maggie, like her brother, is extremely careful and reticent when it comes to talking about the specifics of her private life but when it comes to general issues - such as motherhood - she talks eloquently and reveals more substantial truths about herself - just as on those rare and wonderful occasions when Jake talks about what love and spirituality mean to him. In this interview, Maggie is brutally honest about how she explores the nature of the women she plays, some of whom are severely damaged.



Specifically, here Maggie discusses SherryBaby (out in the UK on July 27) and her portrayal of Sherry Swanson who leaves prison, a recovered heroin addict, determined to regain custody of her young daughter. Se enjoys playing "troubled women. The ones that are a real challenge. They really need me."

It's interesting to learn that Maggie did not enjoy aspects of her LA childhood and was glad to return to New York where she had been born. "Movie sets work like the army. Everyone has a job. If you're extra, you're in the way." Maggie finished college, unlike Jake, which meant that he achieved film success that little bit sooner than his elder sister. Maggie says that, not surprisingly, this was tough to handle but that now she appreciates the maturity that college gave her. "College gave me validation: I gained a lot of confidence, just from once or twice saying something in class and the professor saying, 'Great idea.' That experience has certainly helped me say to a director, 'Actually, I think my idea is at least worth talking about.' " Jake's career has been coloured by the relationships that he has formed with his directors, all forming a crucial element of that role and that experience. Maggie is the same: "After making Secretary, it was a real shock to me to learn that some directors just aren't interested in what actors have to say. They just don't want to collaborate."


Maggie emerges from this interview as a fascinating, independent and strong woman, who is not afraid to appear stripped of makeup, or to expose herself so completely and bravely in her roles.

So - with the certainty of going completely off topic, here are a couple of pictures from yesterday's Live Earth extravaganza at Wembley Stadium. As you can tell, I was more than a little distance from the stage but the atmosphere was incredible and many of the bands showed that they can dominate a stadium - Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini and Keane being my personal favourites. Others, such as Genesis and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, looked to me like they were just going through the motions while Duran Duran demonstrated that too much self-righteous preaching is not a good thing - leading to a hunt to find some more food. There was a lot of talk and it did make one think that it felt a bit rich to be told over and over again not to overboil a kettle or not to go to a shop without a bag by people who could make much more difference than you or I.



We left before Madonna because of real fears about how on earth we would get home with 70,000 people all after the same few trains! As it was, Mr WDW and myself ended up squished in separate carriages until we could regroup at another station. Therefore, if Wembley doesn't want people to drive to the stadium in their cars, they should do something to sort this out as I expect there were more than a few disgruntled people sleeping on platforms last night. So, not only was that off topic, it was an off topic rant too!

Includes pictures from IHJ and JJ.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was so different from anything I've ever done... It was a whole different muscle in my brain, it was whole different muscles in my body! A whole different experience for me and in some ways a lot harder than what I've been used to because it took a lot of imagination - it felt like I was kind of a kid again - looking at something that didn't really exist, realising that I was the one that was going to make it look real. I was the one going to mke people go like 'that's crap', or it's not. And that is really fun"

I love these words said by Jake. It should put to rest some of the mindless cricitism I've read from fans dismissing TDAT as a movie that Jake might prefer to forget. I'm glad these interviews are surfacing now and that you are putting the focus on them WDW.

Thank you for writing about Maggie and the Guardian interview, I had the opportunity to watch SherryBaby on DVD a few days agao and I was stunned at how Maggie got under the skin of Sherry and portrayed every twist of emotion that her troubled soul was racked by. A movie not to be missed.

As for the idea of a huge concert like the one you just attended and it's negative impact on the environment, it's a subject that won't stop troubling me in a hurry. I'll come back and post on that. I've been following the diverse opinions on your previous post. I'm really glad that your posts open the channels for such debates and enable new ideas to be thrown up for solving the problems that trouble the earth and society.

Anonymous said...

I agree Jake does not regret TDAT. A whole lot of people saw it and its message came across loud and clear.

Maggie's Sherrybaby was a revelation to me -- what a fantastic actor she is! Maggie herself was nowhere to be found in Sherry Johnson.

I understand that the organizers of Live Earth did/are doing things to make up at least a bit for the energy use required. I don't have the details, but I do hope they are doing their best. Surely the awareness generated, particularly with young people, justifies the "waste." I hope. I watched some of it (what I could tolerate!) and I must say the prosthelytizing worked with me. I have unplugged unused appliances and have researched those CFL bulbs -- I'm a bit leery of them because of the mercury and need for careful disposal/recycling. But the "little things" suggested make perfect sense to me and I hope many people take it all to heart.

Anonymous said...

We ourselves are the antagonists in the film, which is the overall message, and I think that nature is pretty benevolent in everything that it delivers... We have the opportunity to create hope and destroy it.

Such wise words for one so young, and perfect choice of words as well! Man has had to struggle against Nature to survive for thousands of years, and I think has developed an antagonistic relationship with Nature - Man against Nature, instead of Man with Nature. Or I should say Western man, since other cultures, such as the Native American, have a reverence for and see that they are a part of Nature, instead of something to fight against.

Now that technology has made our lives so much easier, we are still fighting against and mistreating Our Planet. The energy used at the LiveEarth concert was a spit in the ocean (and I use that term deliberately, because I believe that's what we are doing to the world) compared to what the industrialized world uses and wastes in one day. I believe the concert's raising awareness offsets their energy use. Madonna flying in on a private jet? I have no answer for that. :)

While we should never give up hope, a couple of disheartening things to consider:

1. Only one country, I believe it is either our beautiful Norway or Greenland, actually reduced their emmissions according to agreed-upon Kyoto protocols. So that means everyone else talked a good game, but in actuality did nothing, in fact a lot of countries' emmission have increased in the ten or so years since Kyoto.

2. Why is it that a former Vice President of the United States, Al Gore, who leads the charge against Global Warming, is an advisor to the UK and not the US?

3. I believe our current president did a grave disservice to the concept of global warming, when he said it was not based on "good science" and refused to get onboard with Kyoto. The US would have had a large influence on other countries, if nothing else.

4. Overpopulation - more people, more energy usage, more land taken for homes and agriculture, more resources used, more animals raised for food, more everything. I'm not talking about third world countries, it's particularly shameful in this country. Where else would you find the wealthy buying up large tracts of land to build a 25-bedroom home, all of which have to be heated/cooled, lit and powered? In countries like the US.

5. Industry holds more power than the politicians. So until the Atlantic Ocean is lapping up on the sidewalks of Wall Street, much like in The Day After Tomorrow, those who can make a difference won't take notice until there's a calamity. And mass extinctions of other being who share the planet with uswon't be enough, even though it should be.

Whew! I'm out of breath now. Sorry for the rant. :)

The Day After Tomorrow is one of my favorite Jake films. It delivers its message while still entertaining. I love the scene where it's snowing in New Delhi; very beautiful.

I'm also discovering Maggie - I love her forthrightness. Thanks WDW, glad you enjoyed the LiveEarth concert, and thanks for your thread on this subject.
:)

Anonymous said...

Marina, excellent points. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Beckela! A little long-winded tho, probably enough to run a small wind farm in my backyard to power my home! ;)

As usual WDW, I love your choice of photos to illustrate your threads - this first one reminds me of kids pondering this issue, especially Laura (Emmy Rossum)with her chin resting on her hand, and Sam's expression. Our hope for the future, and we're leaving quite a legacy for future generations to deal with. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Wow - what comments. Thank you!

Incognita - I agree entirely. There is no reason for people to think Jake would ever want to forget this film. Firstly, he had fun making it! This must have been quite an experience for him and must have made a contrast to some of is more 'serious' movies and more 'serious' directors. I adore TDAT for all its faults and I will always have a special thing for Wet Sam. ;D If ever I feel down, it's to TDAT that I turn, always.

I still haven't seen SherryBaby even though I have it on DVD (and I was surprised to learn it still isn't released in the UK). I have a problem with its subject matter - it just sounds too troubled for me. The more I hear about it and learn about how much Maggie put into this character, I wonder if I want to go there. And this, in a strange way, is a compliment to what I think of Maggie's acting!

Hi Beckela I agree that this concert is one way to reach youngsters who might prefer to listen to a preaching band singer than a politician. And bring the two together, all the better.

Marina I have to thank you for that comment which really made me think. This is shocking: The energy used at the LiveEarth concert was a spit in the ocean (and I use that term deliberately, because I believe that's what we are doing to the world) compared to what the industrialized world uses and wastes in one day. I believe the concert's raising awareness offsets their energy use.

And I agree with your conclusion. Would I be thinking about all this today without the concert? - I doubt it.

I think you're right, that for some privileged members of the West, they won't believe it until that tidal wave hits Manhattan.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Marina - Glad to catch you again!

I'm glad you liked the choice of photos - that's exactly the reason for the first choice. These are the youngsters Al Gore would have in mind. There they are, watching TV and being given something to think about.

Anonymous said...

"Where else would you find the wealthy buying up large tracts of land to build a 25-bedroom home, all of which have to be heated/cooled, lit and powered? In countries like the US."

Very very tragically in overpopulated INDIA! This is one of the major problems we face in my country, grabbing of resources by a few. What the few are grabbing within my country is identical to what a super-rich country as an entity is doing in the context of overall global resources. So from him that hath not, the little that he hath is also taken away. In India at least, this inequitable distribution of resources within the country is leading to aggressiveness and further(sometimes unavoidable) depradations on the environment both ecological and social, by those that have been deprived. Now I think I can run a small power generation plant with my rant!!!

Marina I like your expression "spit in the ocean". Very expressive. I really have to go deeper into the implications of such a show, not strictly in terms of environmental damage, but in a wider perspective, before I can comment. There was criticism of the environmental damage caused by the filming of TDAT. There will of course be those waiting to pounce. But the film didn't come a moment too soon. And being something with mass reach(very cheap VCDs of the film are sold in shops in India and still going strong, this is how I happened to see this of all Jake films as the rest are not available here) the benefits are far in excess of any damage. That very year, the monstrous Tsunami hit the Indian coast. People were swept away on the very beach where I've enjoyed playing in the waves.
And I love that you loved the snowing in New Delhi. Many people are not aware that it actually happened very briefly during the cold wave in January 2006.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Incognita Thanks for another great comment, presenting us with a whole new perspective.

As for criticism of TDAT as a waste of environmental resources - as you say, blockbuster films such as this reach global audiences, including those people who have experienced first hand atrocious catastrophes. And the message of TDAT, however simply presented, is accessible to all.

I had no idea about Delhi's brush with snow. How strange.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Incognita! What a great post. I'm looking forward to reading more of what you have to say. Your blog is my other favorite as well. It's a shame that other countries are heading down the same road we in the US have. That's fascinating that it actually did snow in New Delhi! Here's another of my favorite things about TDAT:

You didn’t want to hear about the science when it could have made a difference.

Love that line! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina - thre are some great lines in that film - just as there are some fabulous images (thinking Jake leaping over cars). Sorry to bring the level of the conversation down... ;D

Anonymous said...

If it had actually snowed as depicted in the movie, then it would have made World History and been all over the media as the Tsunami was. And the consequences would have been pretty disastrous too. But it was quite a shock for people to wake up one fine morning and find a never-seen-before white coating on their cars and all over the ground. The trouble really is that people forget so fast. They don't read the signs and interpret them with the seriousness they deserve despite all the raising of awareness that goes on through campaigns, events and what have you. And this is what perturbs, even alarms me.

It's a good idea to lighten up by thinking of Jake leaping over cars!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Incognita, the Tsunami was tragic, and also Hurricane Katrina. I pray we don't have other such tragedies.

But, I can think of nothing better, when we want to lighten up a bit from all the seriousness, than Wet Jake, Jake leaping over cars, Laura hugging Jake (all in the name of medical science, of course). ;) He's the entire package, intelligent, articulate, involved, and so hot! Sorry, this is what happens when you encourage me to lighten up! :)

Anonymous said...

Loving your work here WDW! I knew you'd find a way to link Jake to the Live Earth thing.Thanks for that video. I have to say TDAT is my least favourite Jake film, simply because there's not enough Jake (and as we all know, there's never enough!) not just in terms of screen time, but in the way that there's not much substance to his character in comparison to his other roles. I know that's the nature of the film, it's plot driven rather than character driven, but as a Jake fan I prefer to see him playing "deeper" roles where he lets you get to know the character and really feel for him. Sam in TDAT could be any young American boy-next-door, he doesn't feel as "real" to me as,say, Jack Twist or Holden Worther or Tony Swofford. I don't know, maybe I've just been spoilt with all Jake's other roles;) Having said all that, as far as big money blockbusters go, TDAT is one of the best of them. As Jake says, it has a serious message and it's also exciting to watch. And from what Jake says he learnt a lot from the experience, in terms of his acting, so that can only be a good thing. And yes, he looks gorgeous and so cute at the end of the interview (actually, make that all through the interview!) when he goes all coy- bless him! But what's that white mark on the top of his head though?!
Thanks also for the interview with Maggie. She comes across very well, must be in the genes:) I've only seen Maggie in Donnie Darko and Secretary (which I thought was an excellent film) so I'm looking forward to seeing Sherrybaby, it sounds like a really good film.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts about Live Earth and the environment. I can understand the objections about the energy used and waste created by these events, but I agree with WDW, it's got people thinking and talking about the issue, which can only be a good thing. And as Marina says, the effects of yesterday's concerts are just a spit in the ocean in the great scheme of things.And unless we're going to ban all concerts, I don't see why this one should be singled out for criticism when at least it's trying to achieve something positive. If all the performers yesterday had been doing it to line their own pockets, like at any of the hundreds of musical festivals that take place over the summer, no one would have said a word about the effect on the environment.
It doesn't fill me with hope that no matter what us normal people do, the only people who can make a real difference are the ones who are probably less likely to do so, like the politicians and captains of industry, but hopefully we can all put enough pressure on them for something to be done before it's too late.

Anonymous said...

I'm so late to this wonderful discussion, but that certainly won't stop me from adding my 2¢ worth....

1. I highly recommend seeing "Sherrybaby". Yes, it can be quite unsettling and difficult to watch at times, but it is worth it for Maggie's performance. IMO, she is an incredibly brave and utterly fearless actor (I see some of the same in her baby brother). One would think that after the 2005 Best Picture debacle I would be immune to the almost total lack of credibility that the Oscars now claim. But I was appalled that Maggie was overlooked for Best Actress for "Sherrybaby". Thanks WDW for the "Guardian" interview.

2. I can see both sides of the argument regarding the Live Earth concerts' extensive energy footprint. But if these concerts influenced only 100 people to change their consumer "habits" for a lifetime, then that is a win. I know that they reminded me that I can and should do more to be a better citizen of Planet Earth.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - I'm so glad to see this discussion continuing.

What I particularly appreciate about TDAT is that it allows us to counterbalance quite shamelessly a serious discussion about global warming with the delights of Action Jake leaping over cars and rescuing people from wolves and tying mittens on their wounds. I also like the bit where Sam makes snow shoes... ;D I think Marina would agree with me! There is no better way to lighten up than to think of Jake.

People do forget, Incognita and that, I think, is a true benefit of any event, whether it's a concert or a march. It should give people a nudge, albeit temporary.

Twisted Logic - thanks for that point of view. TDAT seems to divide fans more than any of the other films (with the possible exception of Proof, but that's another post...). I think that by doing roles such as Sam it did open doors for Jake. It showed he could carry a film, that he could be a 'conventional' leading man as well as being the Indie It Boy.

That's very interesting what you say about festivals etc - why indeed complain about Live Earth concerts and not about the Diana concert or Glastonbury for instance?

Hi Birdie - Maggie does get overlooked and I can't understand it. I wonder if she troubles Hollywood at all because she seems so different to all the other potential leading ladies. But maybe that attitude will change with The Dark Knight. I will watch SherryBaby but I am fearful of it. Maggie's acting can be too honest for me at times.