Sunday 26 August 2007

The promise of Jake - October Sky (continued)

We've been enjoying a discussion about October Sky, Jake's inspirational film from the dawn of his career in 1999, and, coincidentally, the film has been included in an article today in the Chicago Sun-Times e-newspaper, the Daily Southtown. This feature (which typicaaly now seens refiled on their website) has been prompted by the tragedy of the mine collapse in Utah on August 6, and selects October Skies, and films such as How Green Was My Valley and North Country, as examples of how filmmakers portray the reality of this most dangerous of professions and environments. (The pictures in this post are from the 2nd Annual Bridge Awards 2002 - held on 1 October 2001 - and the Movieline Young Hollywood Awards - held on 5 May 2002.)


Although many coalmines are now closed, due to economic and not human factors, films such as October Sky continue to be relevant as long as men work in the pits and their familes wait for them to return safely home. The comments to yesterday's post show that I am not the only person here proudly descended from good coalmining stock and, therefore, particularly and personally affected by watching Jake Gyllenhaal as Homer Hickam descend into the dirty dark pit. There was too much to say yesterday, so this is part two - please forgive the indulgence!


Aside from the value of October Sky as a reminder of the daily challenges and risks some face every working day of their lives, the film also resonates for its examination of the father and son relationship - it's not overly dramatic, there is right and wrong on both sides as Homer and John (Chris Cooper) endeavour, and usually fail, to understand one another. Here is a review from 1999: 'The relationship between father and son in October Sky is at times painful to watch. There are no winners or losers when sons go their separate ways. October Sky does not illustrate good parenting; rather, it evokes the realization that since parents have only a limited vision of how to shape their children's future, the job requires a huge amount of love and a lot of divine assistance.'


But almost above all else, October Sky is significant because it shows us the promise of Jake. Although a teenager and understandably enthusiastic at winning his first leading role, the young Jake was conscious of the real opportunites this film offered him. 'I think especially in this movie working with Laura Dern and Chris Cooper, when you work with people like that you get something from it. It's like a perpetual learning experience. It's like playing with a pro tennis player and they hit a ball and they hit a ball so hard and you just put up the racket up and you hit it back to them with so much force even though you don't do that much. Working with Chris Cooper there was that teaching. We would finish a scene and he always told me never have any regrets. We'd go through the first couple of takes of the scene and he'd come up and talk to me and told me" I don't think your listening to me " I said -"ok". I think that's the essence of acting really is listening, and I think being young and naive and green and all that stuff, you are not going to be able to do that all the time. I think regardless of age and experience, no one can do that all the time. So he would guide me through that.'


That October Sky should withstand passing years should not be surprising considering its inspirational message. As Jake said: 'I think what I liked about the script the most, like I said before, it was the metaphor of the dream and no matter how isolated someone is, they can fulfill their dream with passion and perseverance. And also what I wanted to play because this character has such a range of emotions and it really fascinated and interested me, and it's such the opposite of who I am as a person. And it intrigued me. I think the target audience is hopefully everybody. I don't think it's the kind of movie that's targeted to one specific audience, it can touch people of all ages.'


In 2001, it was clear that Jake was going to be not only a great movie star, but a sex symbol. Proving that you can never be too cute to be weird, Jake impressed his interviewer for having that 'certain whatever-it-is that spells stardom.' The feature ends by saying 'A self-professed "odd, wacky, weird kid" growing up, Gyllenhaal, 20, is playing the same kinds of characters. And that’s fine by him: "There should be more movies that say, ‘So you’re going through some abnormal shit? Hey, it’s just a part of growing up. Feeling like an oddball is OK.'"

Finally, in this look at Jake's earliest film while we await his latest, here's an article that dates from the filming of October Sky. Time had moved on and Coalwood in West Virginia had gone. Film makers instead had to look to Petros in East Tennessee and this feature looks at the town's transformation by Hollywood and shows what a good job was done.

Kind of going off topic in an on topic kind of way...


The picture above is gratuitous - I just like it!

Includes pictures from IHJ.

11 comments:

Cherita said...

I love that photo too--most of all because it's obvious Jake consented to it. Pictures of Jake doing mundane stuff...*sigh* The knit hat kills me every time, too. Freakin' adorable, boy.

I waited hours for you to continue your October Sky theme. :) So glad that you did. The discussion of other films that depict the realities of mining towns reminded me that Brassed Off! was on my Ewan McGregor shelf. While the story mostly focuses on the colliery band, the reason it's in jeopardy is yet another mine closing, which will mean yet another doomed town. I think I'm going to watch it again tomorrow--it's been a while, but I remember liking it quite a lot.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Cherita Thanks for commenting :) That's a good reason for liking that photo - I love the hat too. I also love the idea of Jake choosing product ;) I know it's all for the cameras here but I can just imagine him reading all the labels, just like many of the rest of us :D

I'm glad you liked this continuation. I didn't want to overload but it wasn't out of my system yet and I needed to get it out before we start looking ahead to Rendition. I really like Brassed Off and the lovely Ewan McGregor (just about forgiven him for taking Moulin Rouge from Jake). Enjoy the film and have a good night :)

Anonymous said...

I watched October Sky back when it came out in the theaters and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a connection with Coalwood and Homer Hickam in that my father grew up in West Virgnia and actually worked with Homer's dad in the mines. Also, Homer's brother Jim became the football coach at my high school in the 70's. He was my brother's biology teacher. When I saw Brokeback Mountain I wasn't aware that Jake had also been in October Sky. Thank you for providing such an interesting and insightful blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing the look at October Sky. It is a family film for all time and just because it is set in an earlier moment in history does not in any way date it or take away from the many important issues it deals with, the least of which is that very difficult relationship between parents and their children.

And I continue to be amazed at the depth of Jake's thoughts about his career even at such a young age. It is more than apparent that he took Chris Cooper's words to heart and not only listens but acts with no regrets. He had to have been more than proud to get the opportunity to show that to Chris when they worked together again six years later.

WDW, there are a lot of unique and just plain cute pictures of Jake out there. You know no one will object to you posting one whenever you feel like it.There is no such thing as too much Jake!

I would also like to thank you for a summer of outstanding posts. It certainly helped us through the long days of very little to no new news about our favorite guy. But this was like the next best thing. The History of Jake 101 in his own words.....along with your trustworthy guidance.

Now we prepare for the next moment in Jake History - Rendition!

Ruby said...

Hi WDW. Great October Sky posts. That really is an inspirational movie. I hated seeing that look on Homer's face when he had to go down the mine. Not happy, but determined to do the right thing: "if you can't fix it........' Fortunately Homer did get to fix it and follow his true path.

I also liked Brassed Off. I had always been a bit of a Ewan fan, loved Moulin Rouge. I was listening to the sound-track in the car the other day, trying to imagine Jake in the role of Christian. He would have been great, but Ewan always seemed the right choice for me.

Drifting back on topic - loved the gratuitous photo. Hopefully he didn't buy too much hair gunk! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, WDW, for these wonderful October Sky posts. It's a great film I saw for the first time several years ago on the recommendation of a friend. Loved it then, love it even more now that I've seen Jake's growth over the years since it was filmed.

All Jake's early comments you've dug up are new to me, and every one of them validates my respect, admiration and (dare I say it?) love for this amazing young man. There are so many young, troubled performers that certainly could learn from him. Heck, everyone can.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everybody - I hope everyone in the UK is enjoying their holiday :)

Welcome Laney - thanks very much for commenting. And thank you for sharing your connection to Homer's dad and his brother. That must have added so much to your experience of seeing October Sky and I'm so glad you told us :)

Dani - thanks very much. Just keeping the home fires burning until Jake's ready to play again :D Not long now. It must have been interesting for Chris to catch up with Jake later on and see what an actor he had become. I bet he was proud of him.

Hey Ruby - I know what you mean about Ewan - he was so great in Moulin Rouge and I regularly listen to the soundtrack myself. He seems so right for the role, but I really do wonder how Jake would have done, and how I could have been listening to Jake singing on the soundtrack.

Thanks Beckela - I've learned so much while doing these two posts about the young Jake and I'm very fond of him :)

Xenia said...

I'm too late for discussion so I popped up just to say that you're doing a wonderful job here WDW! :)

You're like those amanuensis whose patience saved the most precious manuscripts from time erosion and oblivion...
You're our "Memory of Jake"!!:D

More on topic about Jake/Homer : the miracle of that interpretation is that it has been incredible mature. There has been no lack of experience. Jake couldn't add nothing to Homer character even if he played him right now...

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Well done for getting "October Sky - Part 2" up here for our delight and delectation,WDW! We all appreciate the time you put in to bring us our daily fix! But we don't want you to wear yourself down,do we folks? If you have to miss a day here and there because you're just too busy or too tired to conjure up another Jake-gem for us to marvel at, I'm sure I'm not speaking out of turn to say we'd all more than understand!

As for the latest post itself, the relationship between Homer and John,as portrayed by Jake and Chris Cooper was one of the most bittersweet and moving aspects of the film. I'm lucky to have a wonderful relationship with both my parents, but there were times when I was finding my feet and going my own way when things were really turbulent and troubling between us. I would think that most people have gone through some periods, long or short,when they and their parents seemed to be talking a different language and a very painful gulf yawned out between them, which is probably why this film hits home with so many of us and the millions of others who have watched it and wept.

Jake spoke of learning from other,more experienced actors and he certainly seems to have absorbed advice and experiences like a sponge over the years to make him the fine young man and great actor he is now. He may have been naive and more easily distracted when Chris Cooper was first giving him the benefit of his advice during "October Sky" but Jake's superlative performance in "Jarhead" must have shouted loud and clear to his once again co-star "You see,I really WAS listening!".

I LOVED the "Never TOo Cute To Be Weird" article and it makes me smile that I now feel an even greater long-distance kinship with Jake. Outwardly fairly conservative (despite my New Romantic and Pseudo-Goth phases-that really went down well at home! ;-) ),I've always been deceptively unconventional and oddball on the inside in many respects. So many who think they know me hardly know me at all,and the fact that Jake acknowledges himself as a fully paid-up member of the closet weirdo club, is sweetly satisfying to me :-) And boy, does he have that "je ne sais quoi" in spades ?!!

I love the beanie hat and hair gunk photo too because, although he obviously posed willingly for this one, the fact that he so often
runs the gauntlet of the Paps to carry on doing mundane things he enjoys like his own shopping, rather than sending out a minion to do it for him,speaks volumes for his feet being firmly on the ground.

As for it being a gratuitious photo of the G-man,WDW, ain't no such thing! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I found the portrayal of the relationship between Homer and his father very moving and very authentic. It reminded me of the persistence of love in the young.
And it certainly resonated with periods in my own life long ago.
I really think of October Sky as a beautiful little masterpiece and I have come to really cherish it.
That scene when Homer is going down into the mine for the very first time, I was holding my breath. Actually feeling his fear and his anxieties and how much strength of character it took for him to do that.Jake was brilliant. Sometimes there really just aren't adequate words to express it.
Now. I'm off to the oral surgeon to get three wisdom teeth extracted...all at once!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! I hope you've all had a good Saturday.

First off, Bobbyanna - you poor thing!! I'm thinking of you and hope you feel better very, very soon :(

The film really is a 'beautiful little masterpiece'.

Xenia - thanks so much for that - I feel like the Jake Public Record Office ;) I agree that Jake couldn't add anything to his interpretation of Homer, showing what a canny and instinctive actor he is. You're definitely not too late for the chat, thanks for joining in.

Hi Nadine - thanks for that - I appreciate it. And I can admit to having beein a New Romantic and a Goth all those years ago and always feeling a little bit different. I think Jake must appeal to us all in that respect. There's nothing 'usual' about Jake.

I'm going to post more Gratuitous Jake as I think he's good for us ;) Thanks for such a good comment.