Sunday 9 September 2007

Day Three of TIFF - What TIFF is like without Jake

Day three of the Toronto International Film Festival and the city goes insane for Brad. With Jake Gyllenhaal apparently gone and missed, today has been all about the absurdity of SUV watching. I have never seen anything like it! This is Chinese Whispers on a mad scale - and yet, it is absurdly polite. When one gathers in a crowd/rugby scrum outside one of the principal hotels, the etiquette is to apologise to those around you in advance. You know it is likely that the push of the mob will throw you onto the toes of the person in front - I think I accidentally drew on the back of a pap photographer yesterday with my autograph pen - and he may get a few bruises, but you form a good relationship prior to injury based on the following exchange: 'Who are you waiting for?', 'Anyone'. Here is one such typical scene at the Hazelton, followed by another at the Four Seasons.


The Hazelton, the Four Seasons, the Intercontinental and Sutton Place stand out in the street because of crowds, paps, security and a progression of SUVs with blackened back windows. They park in front of a door or back exit for just long enough that you think you might faint with the humidity and heat and, just when you're about to give up, desperate for air, the door of the hotel opens and someone you can't quite make out runs to the SUV, which then has to pull away without knocking anyone out with a wing mirror, while a few feet behind you, at another exit, a car makes off with the celebrity you were expecting.


Today, for instance, the attention was on the Four Seasons hotel, which was the site of the press conferences for both George Clooney's and Brad Pitt's films. When walking round there this morning, I saw a man approach his friend, saying to her 'Are you ready for the madness?' It was another hot day, the SUV was parked outside one of the hotel's side doors, and the security was trying to keep people off the road. It's addictive - you know it's too hot to wait in the crush but you know everything will happen the instant you move away. So we stuck with it and at long, long last one of us was blessed with a glimpse of the pony tail of Charlize Theron. Meanwhile, Woody Harrelson escaped from the back exit and I heard the security say to each other 'Brad's in the building'. The following photos were taken at the gala of Brad Pitt's The Assassination of Jesse James.


It's been all about Brad Pitt and George Clooney today. As we left the Rendition gala last night at the Roy Thomson Hall we literally ran into the George Clooney Michael Clayton Gala. That seemed pretty insane, but this evening we decided to go down to the Elgin Theatre - the theatre where Brokeback was played - to see what a Brad Pitt premiere was like. My lasting feeling from this experience was sheer relief that the Rendition gala was nothing like this. The crowds were huge and most, including us, couldn't see a thing. The best one could hope for was to wave a camera in the air in the direction of screams. The screams were doubled because Angelina was there with Brad. I saw brief glimpses of Brad and Angelina and I saw Brad's hand wave and that was absolutely it. The atmosphere was unbelievable and goodnatured but it left me not wanting to be part of a crowd for quite some time - and very grateful that I'm a Gyllenhaalic. In the first one below you can just make out Brad and Angelina glowing in the surreal glare.



Jake's gala night

Today some details emerged about the complicated schedule of Jake and his co-stars last night. It appears that the actors disappeared for a quick dinner during the film before miraculously reappearing in the centre of the back of the stalls for the standing ovation. Jake then went to George Clooney's party at the Four Seasons. Here the frustration of attending the festival as a fan comes to play. I was having a coffee between the Four Seasons and Jake's hotel, the Hazelton, which are just across the street from each other. Little did I know Jake was so close! But I bet George knows how to throw a party, and Jake must agree, judging by his haste to get into the party! Maybe it was thirst... it was a hot night, after all.




I don't like Cilantro

I've never even heard of Cilantro, which, I've been reliably informed, is Coriander in the UK, but it turns out Jake doesn't like it. I love to find out these little details and thanks to Green as a Thistle for asking questions for us. It was less fun to discover that '“I don’t have my puggle … I don’t have my puggle.”

Incidentally, the beautiful portraits of Jake taken in a hotel room yesterday reminded me of something and I couldn't think what. Now I remember: the bedding is identical to that in my own room and so I think these photos were taken at the Sutton Place Hotel, the site of the press conference.


Congratulations to Ang and Heath

It was good to learn today that Ang Lee's Lust, Caution won the top Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festval, and Heath Ledger's I'm Not There shared the special jury prize. Congratulations!

Thank you Prophecy Girl and Felicia for being such wonderful companions in one of the strangest, but definitely one of the most wonderful, adventures I think Jake has ever led me to.
Includes pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also took me ages to figure out what Americans meant when they went on about 'mono'. It's glandular fever.

One nation, separated by language, etc...

Sighy. I wish George Clooney would invite me to parties. I'd totally bring a bottle.

Anonymous said...

I totally get what you mean when you say, you are glad to be a Gyllenhaalic when you compare what is going on around Jake with the madness around people like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie...
That's why I am going back and forth between "I want him to be successful and everybody should understand and see how gorgeous he is (in so many ways)" and "I want him to stay a kind of insider thing"...

Thanks for the info about the hotel room where the pics were taken. Now we can put all our fantasies that this was the actual bed where the Precious laid his head at night to rest... But you can have your own fantasy now - Jake Gyllenhaals butt sat on your bed! LOL!

And I still envy you for being so determined!! ;)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Back later to read and comment properly!
"I don't have my puggle...I don't have my puggle". Haunted by that phrase....
See you later,happier...!

Anonymous said...

I feel a bit ambiguous, too, about more success for Jake. I want continued recognition for his wonderful work, but I certainly wouldn't want even more madness to surround him, forcing him to lose the "normality" of his daily life. Isn't all the madness the major reason George Clooney moved to Italy?

Anonymous said...

WDW, I so appreciate your coverage of TIFF for us, and giving us a feel for the dizzying excitement of a major film premiere. Thanks for the lesson in paparazzi ettiquette too! ;)

These pics of Jake are spectacular, he looked wonderful. The beautifully tailored suit, but turning tradition on its ear with the cashmere sweater, and great tie - fits his personality well, stuffy tradition is not him at all. Kudos to him and his stylist - he was a work of art. Those portraits are now my favorites of him.

Some mega great movies to look forward too as well - Michael Clayton, The Killing of Jesse James, etc. (loved the mood and cinematography in that one!); I'm Not There; Lust, Caution, and of course, Rendition, which I am putting blinders on as of right now, not reading any accounts or reviews of it, so I can truly enjoy it (at least once!) at my movie theater!

Thanks again, it was just like being there! :*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Well, today is the end of my TIFF adventure and it's time for the long flight home. So much to catch up on... thank yu everyone for all links - hugely appreciated :)

BMG - Hi! I know. I really wish George had invited me - it would have been polite, I was only round the corner....

Uli and Beckela - that is exactly the dilemma. we are so lucky to have Jake. He's well loved by many but I like this 'insider thing' too. There is none of that with Brad and Angelina, and George.

Nadine - hope you feel happier *( It's sad but at least now everyone can stop wondering. I feel a bit bad Jake was asked that question though!

Thanks Marina - it was just fascinating and not a little surreal to experience the festival yesterday, feeling like a detatched observer. An amazing experience. Everyone here has been so friendly - locals, visitors, delegates, paps and press.

Anonymous said...

According to Time magazine, Reese was at that gala for Michael Clayton as well!

Anonymous said...

CALL TO DUTY

Congratulations, WDW, on your magnificent coverage of the TIFF and our beautiful Jake!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for being our eyes and ears and the TIFF WDW!! I did indeed live vicariously through you. Your coverage was fabulous and thorough...
I must say though...I am shocked and disappointed at Jake's dislike of cilantro...LOL!! He must not like Mexican food then...thanks again..I look forward to your next posting.....Michele

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW! I have to say the whole premiere experience doesn't sound like much fun to me when you take Jake out of the equation. It would be worth it to see Jake (and once upon a time I would have said Brad but I'm SO over him now!) but I wouldn't go through all that for anyone else. you're a much braver woman than me!

Jake sure looks in a hurry to get to Clooney's party. He even forgot to do his shirt up- not that I'm complaining ;D

Have a safe journey home, WDW :) Thank you again SO much for all your posts over the last few days, I've had a great time reading them and I'm really happy for you that you had such a fantastic time.xx

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Time just slipped away from me today :-( Will "see" you tomorrow,WDW and friends. Just wanted to wish you a safe journey home from your magnificent mission in Canada. Not that you'll need a plane,you could probably just float home on a Jake-induced high - much more environmentally friendly and so much more fun!
Happy landings,love Nxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi all! Here at the airport just getting the plane to come back down to earth - in a manner of speaking. An incredible time. TIFF is fabulous but without Jake...

Thanks for commenting and thanks for coming along for the ride :)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!! I love you for sharing all this with us! You are so lucky to have been that close to JAKE!!!!! That portrait of him is killing me. Let's all say GORGEOUS, shall we.

Xenia said...

Hi WDW, I'm awfully late...:(

Thank you for sharing with us your wonderful experience...

Jake looks INCREDIBLE!

Just like being there...indeed!:*

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hi WDW, although you're probably sleeping off the Jet-lag as I speed-type this before rushing off to work :-(

It's years since I regularly risked crowds like that mainly during or at the stage door of rock concerts (even got my glasses knocked off in the moshing at a Bauhaus gig and miraculously,considering I'm horrendously short-sighted,managed to catch them before they hit the deck and got stamped on!)
I commend your courage for braving the madness at the TIFF and I have to say that to meet Jake (Gd,if only!) would be the only reason I'd throw myself into such a crush nowadays!!

I'm with you and perhaps most others here, that we'd like Jake to keep the great balance he has now,between having a successful,rewarding and respected career without getting into the insane world of the "megastars" like Clooney,Pitt and co. It's difficult tightrope to walk,but I'm sure he'd have a happier,less stressful life if he can manage it and that's what we want for him.

As a techno-thicko I can't post a proper link but this should get you to the video of the Rendition Press Conference http://www.tiff07.ca/mediacentre/screeningroom/ in which Jake shines (of course!) and Gavin Hood comes across as a very likeable,intelligent and moral bloke.
When I watched it,as some others found too, it had a touch of the "Norman Collier"s about it (a British comedian who used to pretend his mike had an intermittent fault as part of his act),even with the latest Adobe Flash Player - hope you all have beeter luck,although you can still here most things in the staccato version!

I agree WDW,it was a shame Jake had to be asked about Boo in this setting. I wish we could have found out about the poor little pooch's fate indirectly,rather than eliciting this heart-rendingly melancholy response from Jake, though he seemed to brighten up later. All of us who have lost at least one beloved pet must feel sorry in our hearts for him, I know I do.

Once again,WDW, thanks so much for taking us along for the ride! Revel in those memories, look forward to hearing more from you when you've got your breath back!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Apologies for hideous typos in that post. No time to correct. Off to the grindstone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for commenting.

Nadine - it was interesting for me to compare these two sides of TIFF - on the one hand there was te TIFF with Jake where I felt emotionally involved and driven to be there, putting up with the crowds, the long waits, sore feet and the heat. Because every second you can spend looking at Jake makes it all worthwhile, and with Jake you can get to do that.

With Brad, Angelina and eorge - you stand next to no chance at all. They are so far removed from what I can relate to and the crowds are so immense and emotional. The atmospheres at George's and Brad's galas were very happy and good-natured but it is a little scarey and you see very little.

We saw an immense crowd outside the Hazelton on Saturday night - too big to even contemplate going anywhere near - turns ut that was for Brad and Angelina. Admittedly, this was a Saturday night when the festival is at its most popular. On Thursday night I was able to get pretty close to Jake's car as he got in. Terrence Howard that night came out to sign autographs and pose.

If I'm not emotionally involved then I don't fel the need to join the mad crushes at the galas, although it is a lot of fun to starwatch outside the hotels, maybe because you don't know who is going to come out/go in. There is so much hanging around that you have to feel an emotional investment - at least, I do. Then you're rewarded - hopefully - a hundredfold.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Forgot to mention, that here's another sign Jake is a soulmate ;D I am no good with Mexican food either. I can feel the compatibility test going up a notch!