Saturday 27 October 2007

The Culture Show, Rendition, Cover boy Jake and Donnie's opening night

The Culture Show

I'm afraid it was a case of blink and you'll miss it but, nevertheless, Jake Gyllenhaal's brief interview on The Culture Show was part of a deeply personal and honest assessment of the recent spate of Hollywood movies on the war on terror by someone who has suffered its consequences. Frank Gardner began by discussing Tom Cruise's Collatoral in which there is a scene where a gunshot is followed by the sound of metal (the case) falling to the ground. Frank watched that scene repeatedly so that he could numb himself to the sound that he remembered from his own shooting in 2005.


Rendition was discussed alongside Lions for Lambs (Robert Redford, Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise) and The Kingdom (Jamie Foxx). While the interview was being set up, we saw Frank introducing himself to Jake as someone who is not a film critic but instead a man who has reported on the war in Iraq and on terrorism and paid a price for it. The admiration on Jake's face spoke many words before we were shown a brief interview. In this, Jake discussed the scene between Peter Sarsgaard and Meryl Streep and said that we are now all part of an international community with the responsibilities that brings. We hope to bring you the clip of this tomorrow evening but it was woefully brief. Hopefully, it was long enough to get more people to see a film about something that, as Frank Gardner says, is actually happening.

Incidentally, The Culture Show included an interview with Cate Blanchett who not only talked about Elizabeth, but also about I'm Not There, which stars Heath Ledger as one of Bob Dylan's incarnations. It was good to see a clip of a film I can't wait to see.


Rendition screening and reviews

I saw Rendition again today as part of a very appreciative audience as far as I could tell - there were even laughs in the right places and gasps and tears where they should be. The exception was a man behind me who told his astonished wife that he hadn't enjoyed the film because it was 'serious'.


The other day I posted a link to a video in which Gavin Hood was interviewed by an attourney working for ACLU who represents victims of rendition. ACLU's support of Rendition continues with a special screening taking place on 1 November, hosted by Screening Liberally and ACLU, after which there 'will be a fascinating discussion on the realities of "extraordinary rendition," the current lawsuit being brought against Boeing subsidiary, Jeppesen Dataplan Inc., in San Jose, CA, and the role of art in depicting current politics.' It's not clear where the event is taking place, but I suspect San Francisco.


Rendition's reviews have been decidedly mixed as we know, and covering everything from two to five stars. A review I saw today in the Truro Daily News falls very much into the five star category. In fact, the reviewer hails Rendition as one of the best films she has ever seen. Jen Johnston has this to say about Jake: 'Gyllenhaal is the master of body language, able to communicate volumes without saying a word. (There are moments where, simply by pacing down a hall, he brings out a character who is wound tighter than a spring. His haunted eyes are mesmerizing. His outer shell of machismo exquisitely covers a man desperately unsure of himself. Gyllenhaal executes some enchanting attempts at uncomfortable humour, lightening some of the movie’s darker moments. As Douglas, Gyllenhaal perfectly underplays reactions to extreme circumstances, making the moments where he explodes all the more compelling. His moments of guilt and emotional pain are absolutely heartbreaking. As Douglas, Gyllenhaal is cool, calm, and commanding. He blew me away.'

Jen sums it up by saying: 'However, parents and older teens will have a terrific time at Rendition. It’s intelligent, well written and complex without being convoluted. The subplots are fascinating, the minor characters captivating. The leads performances are Oscar calibre. Rendition is intense, the finale thrilling. It is a literal nail biter of a film and not to be missed. It’s easily one of the best films of the year.'


Jake in Fabric magazine for October

Thans to IHJ for alerting us today that Jake is the cover boy of the London property magazine Fabric. Interestingly, that's an old picture on the cover, so I'm intrigued to see what the interview is about. The challenge is now on to find a copy.


Donnie Darko on the stage

Tonight is the opening night for the stage version of Donnie Darko in Cambridge, near Boston. This is a production I personally would never wish to see for at least one obvious reason. However, you may be interested to read an interview with the person responsible, Marcus Stern, who speaks here with great admiration for the film. He also comments on how surprised he was that everyone recognised Frank the Rabbit when publicity photos were taken outside the theatre. Stern sums up: 'What we're doing is a very faithful rendition of the film; it's a really great film and we're trying to bring that to the stage. We're not trying to do some interpretation or take on the film, we're trying to honor this killer story, killer event.'


Includes pictures from IHJ and Fabric.

23 comments:

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Woefully short is right,WDW,in terms of Jake's encounter with Frank Gardner! I'm sure there must have been more to this interview which ended up,criminally,on the cutting room floor or in a vault somewhere. Here's hoping that the rest of it may surface at some stage.

I can even forgive Frank the fact that I think he said hello to Mr.Gyllenhaal with a hard G as he introduced himself and I just loved the look on Jake's face when Frank gave him a thumbnail sketch of his career and the events which put him in a wheelchair. I read Jake's face as saying "Wow - well this guy really puts what I do for a living into perspective"!

As I expected,Frank gave an erudite and knowledgeable summing up of the power and realism of the three films featured in his report and there's no denying his affirmation that extremists may well seize on any one of these films as anti-western propaganda. I just wish we had been treated to a much longer interview with Jake as part of a whole programme with Frank devoted to a very important and thorny subject.

I think Jen from the Truro Daily News has been channeling me because she certainly put succinctly into words my thoughts on the subtlety and power of Jake's performance in "Rendtion". I think she may be a fellow Jake-junkie,don't you? You should invite her to join us,WDW! ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Nadine

Tis is exactly how I read it too and you've put it perfectly: I just loved the look on Jake's face when Frank gave him a thumbnail sketch of his career and the events which put him in a wheelchair. I read Jake's face as saying "Wow - well this guy really puts what I do for a living into perspective"!

I definitely think Jen would find a home here! When I saw Rendition again today I was trying to focus on how Duglas expresses himself - he's not inscrutable. Every second Douglas is on screen, Jake conveys the conflict in the man's mind. It's incredible acting. The shame and disgust Douglas feels while telling himself that he/they need answers to the outrage that he has experienced. I will nver be able to praise this film enough and, yet again, I feel the benefit of Jake's choices.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to NYTimes article today that includes discussion of Rendition and seems relevant to the Gardner discussion which Im very much looking forward to seeing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/movies/28scot.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Positively Pia - the feeling I'm getting from all of this is that Rendition is getting its message across - it has made people such as myself aware that this practice is going on and there is a debate. For those out there who didn't enjoy Rendition because it's 'serious' there's not much to say except rendition is going on. Of course it's interesting that rendition could be a means used to discover and punish those who hurt Frank Gardner. It's a fascinating subject and topical and I know I wouldn't be thinking about it tonight if it hadn't have been for Gavin's film, Kelley's script and Jake's skill.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I also meant o say Pia - thanks for the link :)

Anonymous said...

I love Jen's review, i wish more reviewer had nice(er) things to say about Rendition.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - I couldn't agree with you more - thanks for commenting :)

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hi WDW, sent and on it's way...hope you enjoy. That Fabric magazine sure looks interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that most of the ragging is coming from a political perspective since so much of the comment was so strongly negative before the film ever came out. And that film is damned near flawless! IMVHO.The storyline, and the structure of the narrative, the dialogue, the direction...the acting, there wasn't a false note anywhere that I could see. And yes. The subtlety and the power of Jake's very nuanced performance was just breathtaking. I don't want to take one single thing away from anyone. I think everyone did a superb job. Reese, Meryl, Peter, Alan Arkin, Omar Metwally. Just superb. So did the Israeli and Arab actors. But very little of what they delivered was up for interpretation. It wasn't complex. It was excellent, but not varied. But the man who played the Egyptian (or whereever) chief of security as well as a husband and a father, along with Jake, were just outstanding bcz of the restraint they had to demonstrate. If either one of them had done just a few things a little differently, they'd have very quickly descended into cliche' and the film would not have been rendered as intelligently, or as powerfully as it was. This was really fine work by Jake. Tremendous. And to think he is only almost 27 and has so much more to do.

Heath's performance in INT is incredibly good. And he is very sexy!

sass said...

Hi WDW,
I can't imagine how proud Jake must be of his latest movie, Rendition. I knew critics wouldn't praise the movie...too much negative press months ago led me to that conclusion-- but I never imagined how much negative criticism, would be made, by so many respected American critics. Often when I read our critics--except for Roger Ebert--I wonder if we've seen the same movie. Most European and Canadian critics see the move I saw, so I know I'm still sane.

I almost sent you that NY Times article link earlier, but wasn't up to it. I should have known you would have ferreted out this important article. :)


I left the below link on my desktop, so that I could post it here for you...another excellent Rendition review from Canada...if you see fit to use it later.
Popcorn Panel:Rendition review Canada


Is it Jake's fate to do genius work--Donnie Darko--and be praised for it years later? God, I hope not, but who knows. The public, most especially critics, sometimes lag behind the creative genius of true artists.

God knows, I remember the critical drubbing Blade Runner took 25 years ago. Harrison Ford, to this day, has nothing but bad memories from making this movie; a movie which this year entered our AFI top 100 Films list; a movie that opened here in NYC, to a packed house at the Zeigfield theater, and which is still showing in Times Square, while getting ready for a country wide showing, and whose fans, eagerly await, the collectors DVD presentation with five film versions, sanctioned by Ridley Scott this December.

Some of us are even planning to get to Block Buster early...maybe camp out if necessary...for our copy of the Blade Runner collection DVD.

Rendition is a great movie, but we Americans don't want to see or here what it's about...not right now...we just don't want to hear it...it's too painful for us, so we bash the film, give a slap to the director, cast and crew, and consign it to the dust heap of movie flops; except this film will not go away...not yet, and for that I'm truly grateful.

sass said...

Hi again,
Since I'm awake, I thought I'd make wise use of my time, and look up the UK box office; I don't have much hope for ours improving over the short run.:)
see below link from last week
sass
U K Rendition box office

Anonymous said...

Slightly gutted they didn't show more of that interview, I was really looking forward to it!

Nearly certain I've spotted Fabric in Borders down Oxford Street before, possibly might have to invent a fictious dentists appointment during the week so I can hop on a tube into town and pick up a copy.

Anonymous said...

It was a fascinating segment. We could have had a whole half hour on this and I don't think anyone would have objected to not seeing that bit where 'Example' attempted to become a stand-up comedian.

Collateral was a great, visceral film. Heat is similar. The shoot-out in Heat is one of the most unglamorous, most disturbing crime scenes around. It communicates all the fear and chaos of the situation.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone from a very very wet day in Blighty on the day after our clocks went back so I'm also confused.

Bobbyana and Sass - I have to agree with everything you say - it is beyond me that some of these respectable and yet damning critics saw the same movie as me! Or indeed saw the same movie as the people I've been in theatres with. I don't know exactly what is influencing them but I do think it has something to do with politics and being moved out of comfort zone. And it's not all about Jake. This was an ensemble piece of the highest order and all of its stories were compelling. But Jake is incredible in it and I think so more now than I did the first time I saw it, simply because his acting is so subtle and so instinctive.

Thanks for the links Sass. And that Blade Runner DVD sounds like something else. I remember the fuss that surounded that as well.

Hi Anon - thanks for your comment and yes, I wish they'd shown more of the interview too. Thanks for the tip about Borders in Oxford Street.

Hey bmg - it really was a fascinating segment and could have definitely replaced that awful segment you refer too. It was embarrassing to watch. I don't normally enjoy Tom Cruise films (with the huge exception of Jerry Maguire) but I am glad I saw Collatoral.

Anonymous said...

Rendition is the type of film I would have seen whether Jake was in it or not...I read so many "anonymous comments" in various places..or by critics I'd never heard of, and, amazing they used the same choice of words: "Don't bother to see it..."
I don't need anyone filtering for me. That raised a red flag.People I didn't even know were concerned that I'd waste my time and money.

Iggy said...

Aww... I missed that Frank Gardner interview, so I'm really glad you may be getting it here. I would imagine that Jake would have loved a longer interview himself, and the chance to discuss Rendition with Frank more. It's a real shame if it's as short as you say.

Anonymous said...

Looks like 'Fabric' is available from your local up-market estate agent.

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hey WDW, IHJ has some new photos in the gallery of Jake and Reese going to a holloween party. It's the first time I've seen Jake seemingly concerned about photos being taken, he looks disgusted, hiding his face. I'm use to the smiley Jake. It pains me to see him that way.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - I'm suffering this afternoon - I'm being forced to drink cosmos with Anouska and Ruby. It's a hard life but I'm coping...

Thanks for your comments :) I saw those pics CWG but I have to say that he's bound to get photographed turning up at a major HW party wIth Reese, wearing a mask. Can I say that I much prefer Jake's costumes as a tube of toothpaste and a house?

Hope you're all having a good Sunday and I'll be back later with a link to a video to The Culture Show from last night.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hi WDW....how many fingers am I holding up??!! ;-) I know what these jaunts with Ruby and Nouska can lead to, hehehehe!

I'm not too impressed with Jake's choice of Hallowe'en party disguise either. We're just getting used to the "Brothers" beard and now here's the black and silver stripey beard. It will be so good to see him un-bearded.

And even a Pap-hater like me can't help but agree that this is the type of high-profile event where photographers are inevitable(probably even invited by publicists) and can't really be complained about unless they compromise someone's safety.

Looking forward to the wonderful Frank Gardner and his micro-interview with Jake being up here for public consumption later. Short but sweet and seriously sensible. I loved it!

chillinwitgyllen said...

WDW and Nadine...good point. How are the Cosmo's coming WDW? For me it's beer (not Stella) and wine tonite...it's party time.

sass said...

Hi WDW:)
I have to tell you my son loves Jake's pimped out...his words...Jason Mask...???? Of course he's a Friday the 13th freak:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - just got back and I'm still relatively cognis mentis ;) Thanks to Ruby and Anouska for a great afternoon and also to Mr WDW for coming along for some of it and actually enjoying himself! Great venue, Ruby.

I've just put up a post with the video link - thanks hugely to Twisted Logic who's had a lot on her plate this weekend and still managed it.

Hey Nadine - I think I'm now ready for Jake to shave. I hope that one of the first scenes in Brothers shows the ex-prisoner assimilating himself into society by shaving. If that's the case we may only have another month...

Hey CWG - now I'm back home, I've had to give up on the cosmos, but fortunately I have alternatives :)

Hi Sass! - is that a Jason mask? My horror knowledge is strictly limited.