Friday 26 October 2007

Jake's cartoon, Maggie's horror, Zodiac DVD's length, Reese's ice cream

I had a pleasant surprise this evening, Mr WDW returned home from working away for the week, clutching Jake's Daily Mail for me from Monday which he had saved for me for the entire week with barely a crease. You all read the interview - the one where Jake Gyllenhaal said that women pee louder than men, that movie making turns him on and he took some sound advice from Eminem - but you might not have seen the image that went with it. It made me chuckle and I thought you might find it fun.



Jake also said in the Dail Mail interview that he and Maggie both couldn't look at the other involved in sex scenes in a film. Coincidentally, Maggie is featured in this week's The Brooklyn Paper expressing not a little unease at the famous picture from Secretary, which showed Maggie naked except for a strategically placed fur shawl. The image had been on the cover of a previous Brooklyn Paper and this is what the reporter showed Maggie. And her reaction?
'“This is terrible!” said movie star Maggie Gyllenhaal last week when a Brooklyn Paper reporter handed her a copy of a highly controversial front page our newpaper... The story generated weeks’ worth of antagonistic letters to the editor, but never a response from the starlet herself — until this week, when The Brooklyn Paper caught up with her at a public school fundraising event' in Cobble Hill. “I hate that photo,” Gyllenhaal exclaimed when we presented her with a copy of the issue. “This is terrible!” [The photo had been supplied by the movie company. Then Gyllenhaal went back to serving lemonade and cookies at the charity event in Cobble Hill.'


'Life has settled down for the celebrity couple now that their daughter Ramona Sarsgaard is a 1-year-old, and Gyllenhaal says she wants to give back to the community. “Now that my daughter is older and I have more free time, I want to spend as much of it as possible helping people who don’t have all the advantages I have."'

I must take umbrage at the description of Maggie as a starlet. Has Maggie ever been a starlet in her entire career? - I'd argue No with a capital N.


Zodiac Director's Cut

The long yearned for Director's Cut of Zodiac is arriving in the letter and mail boxes of reviewers. Jeffrey Wells from Hollywood Elsewhere received his yesterday. The debate about exactly how many minutes the new version is carries on but what is unquestionable is how much respect this film continues to receive as we head into award season. You can also see from the accompanying picture what the final DVD may look like - a vast improvement if still not perfect.


Ice cream anyone?

As we all know Just Jared posted no fewer than 65 photos from Jake and Reese's tour of Rome last weekend. I took far fewer myself during my own Roman tour, but then I only had a tatty old map and an MP3 player for company. Two things to note about the pictures - firstly, our friend BG is smiling (I think I may call him Smiler from now on) and, secondly, Reese is a braver woman than I for eating ice cream in those temperatures. I went for the hot brandy and spaghetti option.



Many more here. Includes pictures from IHJ and Hollywood Elsewhere. Cartoon by leepeters.com.

18 comments:

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hi WDW, I have the long awaited magazine, it's no new info that IHJ hasn't already posted as far as pics go but it's neat...I'll email you for your info.

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW, great info. Been a rough couple of days so it's great to be here.

I love that you give us great Maggie, Peter, Heath, etc. info. Park Slope where Maggie and Peter now live is a great area. It is a trendy area now with lots of celebs like them and Heath and Michelle (when they were together) among others. I have friends there and try to visit quite a bit. Also, great for them because it is not stalked by paps. They can live their lives in relative peace. I hope Jake has spent some quality time there. Great that Maggie is giving back to the community. Good for her. Great to see the Zodiac special DVD. It is gettign buzz again for awards season. I hope it can be recognized. Can't wait to get it when it comes out.

Hope you are enjoying your Friday night.

Anonymous said...

And the pictures of Jake and Reese in Rome are nice. Beautiful city. I know around the net people are giving it a hard time but I say if Jake is happy then I am happy.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi CWG Thanks for the info - I'll check my emails :)

Hi Get Real - I think the last couple of days have been so strange for many of us so I hope we can find some peace here.

That's very interesting about Park Slope, thanks. There are areas of London too like that which are quiet and great places for anyone to mix. This sounds like a good area and I really like that Maggie is fitting into her community.

I cannot tell you how much I love the buzz associated with Zodiac. I'll never be able to rave about this film enough.

I must agree that all I want is for Jake to be happy and yes Rome is so beautiful - I'd forgotten how much and I'm so keen to go back. I am enjoying my Friday, thank you. I hope you are too. I'm enjoying my wine and watching a historical drama on the BBC!

Anonymous said...

A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and - whatever! Im watching Paul Newman movies tonight: maybe all three of them, who knows: Hud, The Hustler and Color of Money (the young Tom Cruise) came in the mail today.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward met doing community theatre in Queens, if I recall.

Glad Maggie and Peter have a "neighborhood". And you're hoping, WDW, that we do, here. Well let's see, maybe a neighborhood pub is more like it!
:) :) :)

Thanks darlin' WDW for your wishes and work that this be so.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Positively Pia - Mr WDW says watch Cool Hand Luke instead - I'm no Paul Newman expert but I have a real weakness for films containing Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. Locals are to be cherished *:)

Anonymous said...

In Germany we have a saying "Insel des Friedens" - you could translate it with "Island of peace". And coming here during the last days is like coming to an island of peace and maturity. The reaction of some so-called "fans" is frightening - Jake dares to make his own decisions and does not live up to some peoples expectations and refuses to fulfill their dreams...

I hope that after "going public" they will be able to stay private as they used to before.

Speaking of ZODIAC - have you seen the ads "For your consideration" for the Oscar noms?

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2007/10/fyc-ads-launched.html#comments

There are many people who believe that ZODIAC is one of the best films in 2007 so far....I completly agree with them :-))

In Berlin there was a preview of "Lions for lambs" with a subsequently panel discussion - with Robert Redford and some german VIP ( including Joschka Fischer, our former foreign minister/secretary). I hope that "Rendition" will also get that kind of attention and will cause some discussions.

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Told you I couldn't stay away for long;) Love the cartoon of Jake in the Mail (gold star to Mr WDW for keeping it safe for you:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Carla for a great comment and I appreciate it. These aren't the easiest of days so we need to pull together and remember what matters.

I haven't seen those ads, thanks for telling me about them. I'm very interested in that. I must say that Zodiac is quite possibly one of my favourite films of all time. I find it ingeneous in so many ways. I've now found myself hooked on Rendition. For me, Jake's films are what matters because they are extraordinary!

Rendition deserves a great deal of discussion.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Twisted Logie VERY GOOD to see you here tonight *) Mr WDW says 'No probs'! Have a good night.

twistedlogic said...

Thanks WDW:) I was the first to complain about Jake being MIA for all those months, now I'm complaining he's too much in my face- no pleasing some people! Early night for me I think - to sleep, hopefully NOT to dream;)
Have a good weekend everyone! xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good night TL - Jake will be there if you need him and we're always here - I hope you sleep better tonight *) Come back tomorrow

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hey WDW, no word from you, just wondering if you got my email? Let me know.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey CWG - Hi! Sorry - I've been busy being wined and dined tonight, but I'm back now. Thanks for your email and I've replied. Thank you :D

Anonymous said...

I feel so stoopid.With all the money I've spent renting it and ordering it from On Demand, I could have purchased three DVDs of Zodiac. But I had to be all righteous and wait for the director's cut, right? LOL!!!

I really enjoyed the justjared feast. Seems like BG is very conscientious about his job. I saw that smile, WDW, but I also always notice where he is looking, and that makes me feel very comfortable. As I looked thru the pics, I think I caught on to the other two Italian security guys, but he is special, BG. WDW, I noticed Jake was not eating any ice cream! And honestly. Reese looks like a twelve year old with that cone! LOL!! Nice shots. Hope they can enjoy some peace now. I sincerely do. IMHO, Maggie has always been an actress, never a "starlet."

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna - that's funny - I thought that might happen! But not too long now and we'll get the new DVD. I can't wait - this is definitely my film of the year - or is that Rendition? Just can't make up my mind. Jake was very sensible not eating the ice cream, he'd have been better off with a hot soup :) Maggie is definitely no 'starlet' :(

Anonymous said...

I'll be buying the director's cut and selling the 'vanilla' DVD on Amazon so I don't feel too frivolous! I'd be surprised if the Oscars did much more than offer a few technical nominations to Zodiac, but would be less surprised if the BAFTAs offered some reconition, particularly for Jake. The UK has a lot of love for Mr G.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning bmg - yep, I'm definitely doing some wishful thinking as far as Zodiac and the awards go. But as you say, the British Academy - and a lot of Brits - may feel more rewarding :)