Friday 11 January 2008

WGA nominates Zodiac - and Jake on 'fulfilling a childhood fantasy'

Big congratulations to James Vanderbilt, author of the script for Zodiac. For this masterpiece, James has been nominated by the Writer's Guild of America. Of course, the Writer's Guild is also on strike and so it has cancelled the WGA event. The winners will be announced on 9 February and no ceremony will be held until after the end of the strike. I hope against hope that this may hint at an Oscar nomination or two. We'll know soon enough - the ballots are due in tomorrow (Saturday) at 5pm.


'It was just fun for me'

We've had some storms in the British Isles over the last couple of days, lashing rain and howling gales, which, as it ever does, puts me in the mood for The Day After Tomorrow. Now, I know this is the equivalent to some of you of what Proof is to me - ie, one of Jake's few bad choices - but try and put up with me because there's a corking video coming up. This was recorded I believe when Jake was in the UK for the premiere of the film and got artificially snowed on in Leicester Square, in the West End. Because the snow was fake, Jake didn't need Tom Hank's Aston Villa football scarf that Tom proudly wore to his own premiere in London the other night...


In this video, a very good-humoured Jake chats to an appreciative Brit about what he enjoyed about doing such a big popcorn movie. Jake likens the scene where he is chased by wolves on a Russian ship in the middle of NYC to scenes in some of his previous independent movies, 'I tend to play troubled kids', and jokes that if there had been no wolves in that scene it would have been entirely fitting for that other movie where he spent time chatting to a six foot rabbit.



Jake is also asked what his favourite scene is in the move: 'Probably almost every scene that I'm not in.' But Jake settles in the end, despite his enjoyment at seeing his own home town destroyed by tornadoes, on the aeroplane scene. Speaking for myself, that is one of the very few scenes in any of Jake's films where I look at Jake through fingers laced across my eyes - not a good flyer and I dislike peanuts.


At the same site, you can also watch a small feature on The Day After Tomorrow, which includes interviews on set with Jake and Dennis Quaid. With both videos you have to choose your desired internet speed (I recommend the middle setting).


When Jake was back in Canada, in Calgary, preparing to begin work on Brokeback Mountain and all that that involved, he had to fly off to LA and NYC to continue the publicity for this very different film. In LA, Jake revealed he'd watched one of my all time favourite movies (it has both Steve McQueen and Paul Newman in it, after all): 'I remember watching The Towering Inferno on DVD, but most of the disaster movies I grew up on were bad examples of the genre... Even if they weren't particularly good, I loved watching the big summer action movies. I'd be lying if I said I wanted to do The Day After Tomorrow for any other reason than fulfilling a childhood fantasy.'


Jake also looks back on the funny times filming the stunts, or trying to film the stunts, and how close he was to taking the role of Spider-Man: 'They definitely talked to me about Spider-Man... I would have done it if they had needed me but Tobey was able to do it after all.'


Some time ago I was wondering in the comments here what had happened to the boy, Arjay Smith, who played Jake's best friend in the film. I did find an interview with Arjay in which he talks about the experience of appearing in the blockbuster. He also reveals that one day one of the actors' trailers blew up! Otherwise, by the sound of it, everyone had a good time on the set and enjoyed the opportunities to run around: 'We’re running through this fake snow. I can’t remember what type of material they were using, but we’re just really running through the snow. Jake had to do a couple of stunts. They had to put him on a wire because he’s walking across a boat – a ship, actually – and so he was about 20’ high. He had to just get wired up, just for safety reasons. Not too much in the way of stunts, and we had our doubles just in case anything got a little hectic where they wanted us to run through very narrow spots. But we were running through the rain. I said I wanted to do a lot of it myself, running through the rain. It was just fun for me.'


Elsewhere, Dennis Quaid was asked what it was like to film with the young Jake: 'Jake is great. He's very smart, very funny and he's a really good actor. I think he's got a really great career ahead of him.'


And it turns out I'm not the only big Wet Sam fan about, Chloe Sevigny had this to say about Jake when she was interviewed about her role as Melanie in Zodiac: 'He’s a great actor. I mean, even in that end of the world movie that he did [The Day After Tomorrow], his performance in that was so subtle and made the movie so fun to watch, because you just wanted to watch this kid; you couldn’t take your eyes off of him. And he’s great. He’s had all these great roles, one after the other. And he’s a nice guy. He’s very boyish and he’s very charming.'


I was interested to discover that, back in June last year, Hillary Clinton hosted a charity LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) fundraiser event at the glamorous Hollywood home of Roland Emmerich, the director of, and force behind, The Day After Tomorrow. Roland wasn't able to attend himself. Just look at that home...


Includes pictures from IHJ.

15 comments:

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

You've done it again woman,put up a new post when I've only just luxuriated in the last one and I've got to scarper any minute now!I suppose I'll forgive you ;-)

On such a wet evening in Blighty,I'll have to take a very topical rain check...a bientot,mes amis! xxxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

:D Nadine! Rain check. We seem to be 24 hours out of sync ;) But it won't go anywhere, have a good night and see you later *)

Anonymous said...

Kate I can NOT say enough about this movie. I happened to have LOVED TDAT. I've never been to LA but that scene was the hardest to watch, the Hollywood sign being destroyed by all those tornadoes. (now I won't be able to go see LA :P)

But for me the scenes in NY were special because I am from NY and I've walked down the canyons of the city many times. And I've been inside the NY public library. In reality I don't know that the building would have held up if a wave was to hit it, but it was amazing to see Sam and his girlfriend run into the building (I know they were running from nothing) that is the magic of Hollywood. the special effects.

I am so glad you touched on this movie. I happen to like proof too (okay maybe I am in the minority. I didn't like the Good Girl and I wasn't that crazy about Moonlight either)

I am so glad Zodiac got noticed for the WGA too bad there won't be any ceremonies. It's horrible, I wish the strike was over with.

Also I would like to know why Brothers won't be released until Dec of 2009. Why the delay? It's almost 2 years down the road. Is the movie going to have special effects that need to be added. It seems like an awfully long time for a movie to be sitting idle. It doesn't make any sense to me but then little in Hollywood does

trekfan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Trekfan! Hey someone else who loves TDAT! I loved Jake in DDarko and then I saw TDAT and realised it had Donnie in it and I was blown away by how gorgoeous he was in it and then there was Jack Twist. TDAT was all part of the trail.

I know LA a bit but not NYC and I wonder what it must be like to see film of the city like that. We have it now and again with London but nothing like this.

I still think the Dec 2009 date for Brothers will change - unless there are more special effects than in TDK! Have a good night :D

Iggy said...

Another two delightful Jake video's .... I liked TDAT I must say, and yes, Jake looked gorgeous as Sam. I'm actually quite glad that Jake didn't get to do Spiderman, maybe I'm the only one..but I'm just glad that he didn't.

You know, Jake must be such a lovely natural person, I don't think I've ever heard a co star say anything other than he's a great guy! Add on intelligence and looks to boot, no wonder we all love him.

Anonymous said...

Well WDW you know I'm a big TDAT fan ... and now you've introduced me to that movie clip site, I'll be spending a lot of time there :D

I don't know how you do it * All those other finds too. And I still haven't read the Jarhead post!

My hubby loves Godzilla (he made me watch it recently) and - well - it's not dissimilar to TDAT. Very similar atmos. The leads aren't so cute of course.

rosiet, I agree about Spiderman ;)

Anonymous said...

The first movie I ever saw with Jake in it was October Sky, it was a birthday gift to me (seeing the movie, not Jake (darn it!)

And then I saw BBM and fell in love with both guys.

Then I was slowly able to see several of Jake's other movies including TDAT.

Well other that Japan, NY seems to be one of those cities where they love to make disasters happen (Escape from NY, I am Legend, TDAT)

It was a shame to see the Statue of Liberty go underwater (maybe she needed a bath :D) I did see her demise at the end of the Planet of the Apes.

But I do like an action adventure movie and TDAT is IT. It is one of those movies I could see over and over again.

Trekfan

twistedlogic said...

Yep, it's definitely been TDAT weather here in the UK the last few days. It always cracks me up when Arjay Smith's character is looking out the window and says it's been raining like this for 3 days- He's obviously never been to England!
I'm one of those who isn't such a big fan of TDAT, but I have to admit it has grown on me a bit over time. Must be your legendary powers of persuasion, WDW;)I have to say I do prefer it to Proof - at least TDAT is funny! I know it's not meant to be, but I have a weird sense of humour, as you know;D
On a totally shallow note, Jake looks soooo cute (and so young!) in that video *swoon* He doesn't do much for me in the film itself (head scarves are so not a good look) but in the promo stuff for it he looks to die for. The fact he was in the process of becoming Jack Twist at the time may have something to do with that;)

Anonymous said...

Well having just driven over the mountains (highest altitude in Maasachusetts) through snow, sleet and rain, and made my way through flooded gutters into the BLESSED SAFETY of my hair stylest's salon -
which is the place I would choose to be when the world comes to an end - I LOVED the TDAT post!

My second response: O Jake I just wanna kiss you!

Driving home from northampton, the sky was gorgeously clear, there wass a stunning sickle moon and clear sky.

And IheartHillary!

Ogod Ijustewannakisshim!

(unwinding from that harrowing journey through many weathers with a wee dram: better go to bed)

(we are all embroiled in this stuff, here in USA)

hey trekfan, did not know you were n'yorker! spent many a day doing research in library, and seeing that ship coming through the city streets was not unlike seeing a herd of oxen down in Wall Street shooting some commercial. WTF!

Although 9/11 was another story.

IheartTrekfan!

Anonymous said...

WDW! Thanks for this fun post! The Day After Tomorrow is one of my guilty pleasures. I know. I've probably seen it more times than I will ever admit. And I can just see an exhuberant Jake in that screening room, standing up shouting "This movie totally rocks!" LOL! He is adorable. Hate to admit it, and I'll probably get stoned for it, but for me, the one Jake movie I really, really do not like...and I watched it and I really wanted to like it,I really did...was Bubbleboy. TDAT is cheesy and it's fun. And the FXs are cool! And PROOF? I loved how he looked. I loved how he played his part. I love Hope Davis and Anthony Hopkins. Quoting Forrest Gump:"And that's all I have to say about that..." LOL!!!
We are having rainy, windy cold weather here...but no snow. A couple of days ago it was actually in the mid-sixties!!! Scarey, actually.

Anonymous said...

Iheartbobbyanna! sorry feeling mushy tonight after that gorgeous crescent moon and returning home safely over the mountains to my wee dram and Jake. and have the Z DVD for weekend.

gnight, lovelies!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Thanks for all the comments - sorry I couldn't be around late last night but good to see you now :D

Hi Rosie! I'm glad you liked the videos, I'm a big TDAT fan myself, and I remember how much fun I had seeing it on the big screen. And I'm definitely glad Jake wasn't Spider-Man - it would have been taking over a role from someone else for one thing.

Morning Anouska - You'll have to listen to the Jarhead podcast soon as I'm gonna give you a test ;) I quite liked Godzilla but, as you say, the leads... not up to muster. Hope you're feeling better today*

Hey Trekfan - I love to hear our paths to Jake. I was so glad Jarhead was around so soon after BBM in the UK as it reaffirmed everything I thought about Jake.

It must be tough watching those landmarks take a battering time after time. Like you, I can watch TDAT many times - and I love the extras as well.

Hey TL! Good to see you and that gorgeous avatar of your's... I'm glad I'm winning you over to TDAT - thre's some classic dialogue in it that's for sure - I always have a laugh when they fit in a trip to the 'stuffed animal collection' at such a time of global catastrophe.

I agree so much that part of the appeal of that interview is that this is Jake becoming Jack.

Pia Great comment! Thank heavens you're OK with that weather - and with good hair :D Kissing Jake? Sounds like an excellent idea.... And you got the DVD!!

Hi Bobbyanna - this post was such a fun one to write. I love to let out my diaster movie fan side, and it's great to hear Jake has one too. You don't like Bubble Boy?! Well, I don't think you're alone although I do love it myself - mainly for the commentary. I'll let you off about Proof ;)

Have a good day! I'm off now to see I'm Not There (and maybe Lust Caution straigt after if my heart can take it)

We were supposed to have snow last night but it never came, icey rain instead :(

Anonymous said...

WDW, I don't know if you're a Heath fan, but if you are, INT will give you many, many palpitations! LOL!!!!! OMG, the man is sexy...when he wants to be.

*waves to pia!*

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW! Great post, as usual!!!

I've only seen the first third or so of TDAT. I got bored and turned it off, but always with the intention of continuing it at another time. Now, after reading your post and the other positive comments, I'm kinda getting in the mood to give it another chance.

As for Pia wanting to be in the hair salon at the end of the world: lol. Me, too -- but only after they've finished with their magic, not during the actual process, wearing an ugly plastic cape with foil twisties and a roll of cotton on my head. :O

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bobbyanna - I just got back from seeing INT and Heath has made my heart beat a little faster that's for sure :P Supersexy. And I enjoyed the film, which is the main thing I suppose. Surprisingly, I found myself enjoying the Richard Gere section. Cate Blanchett was fabulous. But Heath... I'm going to be dividing this weekend between listening to the INT soundtrack and watching Zodiac extras :D

Hey Jake's Retoucher - although I have to say I thought that was my job! Oh I remember, I'm Jake's Toucher ;) Well I'm glad to hear you may persevere with TDAT, it's well worth watching for the wolf scene alone (I like watching Jake running down stairs - that was the only bit of Proof I enjoyed I think).