Saturday 14 June 2008

Dancing with Jake Gyllenhaal - and Nailed almost wraps, but not quite...

Nailed kind of wrapped last Wednesday, but not really. Although shooting continues, a wrap party was held for cast and crew at the Vista Bar at the Liberty Taproom in Columbia. Maybe the producers thought the crew needed a break from the long hours working or the long hours not working because of bouncing cheques. Whichever way, Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel weren't there, but James Marsden, Paul Reubens and Kirsty Gore were, the latter dancing away to 'These Boots were Made for Walking.' It sounds like quite a night: '“So when’s the movie coming out?” someone asked. They’re still working on it.'


Dancing with Jake

Jake might not have been at the party, but, in real need of some light relief after having had to call out half of the county's constabulary last night, I thought I'd have a look at another of Jake's winning features - not his eyes or his lips or hair this time, but his dancing feet. Jake told Cosmopolitan: 'I can't dance... But I can sing', but the evidence suggests that Jake is a man with moves. So here are some of my favourite dancing Jake moments. It is a Saturday night after all.



The Music Festival Dance

In September 2006, Jake was seen bopping away in the wings of the ACL festival in Texas, alongside Lance Armstrong. Jake, Lance and Matt McConaughey were seen watching a number of bands including Gnarls Berkley, Thievery Corporation, Ray LaMontagne and Cat Power.



Not having been to ACL myself, I do not know if this festival is similar to those in the UK, which entail attaching a huge flag to your tent so that you may have some hope of finding it again, lining up for hours for a portaloo and firting over a veggieburger. Oh, and the mud - ACL looks sunny, fortunately, so that one may be avoided.





Here you can see, as Jake saw, Cat Power's version of Crazy from the 2006 ACL festival (just look for the teeny blip in white off-stage...).



Dancing by moonlight



Seasonal Dancing

The Santa hat dance has now become a tradition in many Gyllenhaalic households following Jake's demonstration of just how it should be done. If you haven't mastered it yet, I suppose I can bear to look at it again...



The Sun Dance

In 2004, Jake and Zooey Deschanel took to the Sundance Festival stage with some enthusiasm.



Incidentally, in an interview today, Zooey mentions Jake (and Kate Hudson) with whom she attended the Santa Monica's Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences. Of schoolboy Jake she says, 'Jake was always extremely funny and charismatic.'


The Rain Dance

There are many dances in Brokeback Mountain, not all of them are to music. As Jake said of Jack Twist: 'I think Jack is a bad dancer, first and foremost. He can’t waltz very well, and in the scene where he has to waltz with the girl, Anna Faris’s character, I couldn’t ever get it. I don’t know why. I look like a fool if you look at it again... I think that our personalities definitely play into, but I do think he’s dancing but his dance is more of a rain dance than a ballet.'


One scene in particular was famously treated like a dance, but the whole of the way in which Jack and Ennis related to each other could be seen as a dance: 'I think there’s a part of him that wants to progress, wants to change, and wants to move forward and he’s constantly pushing Ennis to come out of his shell, but it’s that dance between the two of them that I think makes the two of them fall in love.'


The Come-and-get-me Dance

Demonstrating that Jake knows what we want, Jake managed to comine both sex and comedy in his wiggle.


Could this be my favourite?



Includes pictures from IHJ and Flickr.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have seen a video of Jake and Reese dancing "briefly but sexy" at the George Clooney party in Toronto.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Trish - I think it's best for private dancing to remain private - these are some of the dances Jake's done for us!

Anonymous said...

OMG WDW you said you were in the mood for Jakin' but I think maybe in the mood for shakin' ! ! !

Jacobo may not know how to waltz (no ballroom dancing class in sixth grade as I endured/enjoyed, in Maplewood New Jersey - no ballroom dancing classes at Harvard-Westlake? hahhah - guess not!) BUT HE SURE KNOWS HOW TO SHAKE HIS BOOTIE! ! !

Some hot post. I take it you have recovered from last night's unplesantness. (I have a friend who is being stalked by a legless man! long story you dont want to know!)

And yes indeed the FNIT was a dance, carefully choreographed, as Jake and Heath said.

Really curious to know what Kristen Gore is like. Sounds like Jess and Jake are taking care of themselves. Bueno!

Anonymous said...

wow... thank you thank you... that's like a festival of Jake dancing! mmm.... i think Santa dance is still my favourite *drools* Closely followed by the one on Ellen :)

especially since today i've witnessed the group of naked cyclists (protesting the gas price?) riding across Piccadilly Road... I was on the 3rd floor of Fortnum & Mason, all the "ladies of leisure" rushed to the window to see the spectacle. Unfortunately none of them has a body remotely like Jake.

I find it every endearing to see Jake dancing in rock/pop concert... :)

And how much he love showtunes? You can totally tell he's having a GREAT time at the sundance video with Zooey.

JoeAnn said...

Woot! Shake that money-maker, white boy!

Anonymous said...

I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby,
One woman can claim.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My boy. (My boy, my boy)
Talkin' 'bout my boy. (My boy)

Sorry! You got me all riled up, WDW.

sass said...

Fantastic dancing Jake post...TYTYTY...I been looking for that Jake post...he sure knows how to shake that thing....TYTYTY again.
xoxoxo
sass

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia! Thanks for keeping me company last night *) Blimey, I'm sorry to hear about your friend... Mr WDW is keeping lookout.

Jake shakes his booty like no other - I think he likes the audience. I never learnt to waltz either, it'd be good to learn with Jake :D We did country dancing at my school.

Kirsten Gore sounds like a laugh - I wonder what she's like as a writer :\

Hey Winterbird - wow! Naked cyclists down Picadilly? I'm not sure that's a sight I want to see! Nothing here but long lines of cars outside the petrol stations. I love to see Jake dancing like the rest of us at a gig or festival - a member of the audience with a spring in his step.

Hi JoeAnn :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Very happy to have you riled up and singing and dancing, Pia!

Thanks Sass! I can never get enough Dancing Jake - there was too much in the end for one post!

Anonymous said...

Nice post, WDW, of course you know what my favorite Jake dance is - Moonlight Mile on the jukebox. :)

I think his dancing in BBM is sweet, slightly tentative, as was appropriate for the scenes I thought, especially in the early scenes with Lureen. As much as I love music, I ain't that great of a dancer either, but it doesn't stop me from lovin' it, and it's sure beautiful to watch, whether ballroom, country, tango, or just plain shakin'your booty, or a rain dance. :)

Glad to hear everything turned out ok at your house last nite, WDW.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Glad to hear that Mr.WDW is riding shotgun tonight, WDW! We'd whoop that prowler's arse for you if we could get hold of him - teach him to mess with our glorious leader!

This is a great celebration of Jake getting up offa dat thing and shaking till WE feel better(James Brown fans will understand!). I love the clip of Jake grooving with Chris at the festival gig,obviously really relaxed and enjoying himself :-)

Have to admit though that the Santa Dance is still my favourite and not just because all Jake's wearing is a festive hat to cover his modesty, thus showcasing his six pack and NTLA*. It's the motion in the ocean,that mesmerising bump and grind he's got going on, that makes this the winner for me!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.

*NTLA=Nice tight little arse ;-)

Anonymous said...

"I think it's best for private dancing to remain private - these are some of the dances Jake's done for us!"

Well some of the ones you posted were private, ie the festival ones.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie! I thought you'd like the Moonlight dancing :D That scene is one of my favourites from all of Jake's films. Another of my favourites is the scene dancing with Lureen.

Thanks Nadine! I love those festival pics - What a perk to be able to stand up there on the stage and see the bands - I'm usually at the back behind a guy with someone sitting on his shoulders...

I do like the Santa hat scene - how could I not? But the Ellen dance is my favourite :D

I hope everyone's have a good night! I'm trying to relax this evening and think calming thoughts.

Zodiac said...

"I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby,
One woman can claim.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My boy. (My boy, my boy)
Talkin' 'bout my boy. (My boy"

Love it. For some reason I love calling Jake A BOY more than a man. Go figure.

I'm playing PoP The Sands of Time. I'm such a loser. I've killed him so many times it's embarrasing. I do hope Jake wears different trousers in the movie. Maybe he should do some belly dance in PoP.In the Arabic language it is known as raqs sharqi and is a creation of Orientalism.The focus of the dance is the pelvic and hip area. That would be something I'd watch no end;)

Anonymous said...

It's raining and thundering here - but it's a lovely rain and I planted tomatoe plants today and herb garden including haha cilantro! regular cilantro and mexican cilantro - tonite watching with a friend Down By Law - JJ a new director for me, impressed with Night On Earth.

Jack dancing with "Lureen" - beautiful and sad. Ive watched that scene a million or more times.

Jake really does have a gorgeous butt. Some don't, y'know.

Assume the coppers will keep cruising your 'hood, WDW. Ask Mr WDW to give you a nice massage to get the tension out of yr bod.

twistedlogic said...

Brilliant post! Thank you so much, WDW especially under the circumstances. Gotta say I love the Santa hat dance best, which I'm sure is no surprise to any one :D But I have to agree with Bertie about the scene where Jack and Lureen are dancing in BBM,I love the poignancy of that dance coupled with the lyrics of song playing. the bit where he looks like he's going to kiss her and then you see him just looking over Lureen's shoulder with a faraway look in his eyes, gets me everytime.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Hey someone else playing POP Sands of Time :D I'm not doing very well. I tell the prince to jump and he hurls himself in the opposite direction so he crashes to the ground and is eaten by scarabs. I was at a disadvantage because crucial buttons on my PS2 controller didn't work. I bought a new one and the Prince still keeps falling to his doom... Belly dancing would be good :)

Have a lovely evening, Pia :D Thunder and lightening sounds good. I can't open my windows now so it's very hot :( I love the scene with Lureen. Trying to feel safe. Thanks for the company :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL! Good to see you. I knew your favourite would be the Sant hat dance :D But Jack's eyes dancing with Lureen are beautiful.

twistedlogic said...

You know me too well, WDW ;) The Santa dance is a classic moment in the history of film imo :D And I'm never able to look at one of those hats without giggling now.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I know, TL, and at Christmas there are so many of the blighters around... :D

twistedlogic said...

Tell me about it! If I had a pound for every bloke in a santa hat who's asked me what's so funny, I'd be a very rich woman.On the other hand if I had a pound for every bloke in a Santa hat who looked like Jake in Jarhead, I'd be completely skint but happy :D

Anonymous said...

Jake and Reese danced "briefly but divinely" at the George Clooney party, not "briefly but sexy".

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful day and Happy father's day to my long-suffering Dad *)

Morning TL! I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone wearing a santa hat that looked like Jake so I suppose I'd better stick to the film.

Have a wonderful Sunday :D

sheba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paulh said...

I thought Jake danced well with Lureen and LaShawna in "Brokeback Mountain." His moves were just what the film needed.

My favorite of jakes dances came in the series of pap photos last summer (?) when Jake and Chris Fischer were playing basketball in a playground in New York City. At one point, Jake and Chris seemed to be boogying. It was good, goofy fun. :-)