Monday 11 August 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal the Magnificent! Prince of Persia is well worth the wait

What can I say? We have pictures... (that pause is because I've got to try and roll my tongue back up into my mouth). Here we have Jake Gyllenhaal on set in Morocco and now we can set the record straight on that one matter that has been concerning us ever since Prince of Persia was announced - Jake is unwaxed. For that, I am truly grateful and forever indebted to Jerry Bruckheimer. And just look at that body. We also have hair, and muscles, and hair, and abs, and hair, and interesting footwear, and hair, and jewellery - oh, and hair. And muscles. It's just as well the release date has been postponed to 2010 because it's going to take me nigh on two years to prepare myself for the opening curtain.


According to Just Jared, Jake and Reese spent the 'weekend at the exclusive luxury Moroccan hotel Amanjena' and had a tour of the sites. Does this mean there are more pictures to come? All I can say is, if that was me walking by, hanging onto the hand of Prince Dastan, I would have a grin from ear to ear and you would be able to hear my heart beat from across the ocean. So what do we think of the Prince? I'm so relieved that Disney has taken our costume suggestions to heart... And very much liking the belt. My eyes are drawn to it.



Well worth the wait...

There is a lot of interest still, out there, about why Disney decided to delay Prince of Persia by almost a whole year - two possible theories remain the perceived double threat of transforming robotos and striking actors. However, it has also been mentioned that it could be that there is too much at stake here, financially, for Disney to want to rush this one through.


The original release date of June 2009 would have left meagre months for all that CGI and tweaking that will make us believe that Jake Gyllenhaal doesn't just look the part, but that he really is the Prince of Persia, leaping from wall to wall in spectacular medieval cities, battling real and fantastical baddies, while turning back the sands of time.


According to this interesting discussion, a possibility is that Disney is still buckling under the memory of the cost of finishing the two Pirates sequels that were locked into release dates - 'We're talking about tens of millions of dollars being spent on overtime, bonuses and incentive payments -- just to make sure that all of those effects shots were in place once these 'Pirates' sequels were released to theaters...'


'That really cut into the profit margins on those 'Pirates' sequels. Which is why -- just as production was getting underway on 'Prince of Persia' -- Disney & Bruckheimer decided that they weren't going to make the same mistake again. This time around, they were going to allow themselves enough time to get all of this film's visual effects done at a reasonable price. Not pay through the nose for any more rushed-at-the-last-minute shots.'


As for the cost of setting the film back by a year: 'But in the long run, the money that these two will save on FX this time around will really be worth it. Particularly given the huge number of visual effects shots that there are in "The Sands of Times," we're talking about an enormous cost savings here. So this isn't about Disney or Bruckheimer getting cold feet on 'Prince of Persia' or anything like that. This is more about how these production partners finally got smart about how they handled their visual effects budget.'


It is also suggested that Disney's expectations for PoP are soaring into Dark Knight realms - 'Mouse House executives just wanted more time in order to co-ordinate a company-wide plan. So that every possible platform at Disney's disposal (i.e. Disney Consumer Products, Disney Parks & Resorts, ABC, the Disney Channel, ESPN, Disney.com et al) could then be used to elevate "POP" from just being this garden variety summer blockbuster to then become ... Well, a "Dark Knight"-like phenomenon.'


So, one can argue that the longer we wait, the fewer compromises may be made with post-production and marketing, resulting in a better realised film for the producers and audiences alike. It could also mean that there will be time to produce a life-size Prince Dastan figure for each and everyone of us - an essential feature for every home in May 2010.


Includes pictures from IHJ and Just Jared.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me recover, and I'll get back to you later - suffice it to say, he's built like a brick house, isn't he? *faints* Honey, put some clothes on or you're gonna kill me. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anon! Are you telling Jake to put clothes ON?! Leave the building! Only kidding :D It's like Jarhead with hair and medieval gems and horses and all that magical mystery from Arabian Nights - with Jake at the heart. It's going to take some gettig used to, it's such a shock! I need a shot of whiskey...

Anonymous said...

wow... thanks! that's super fast delivery! WDW!

But will you kill me if I say I am not very sure about the look (yet)... I don't think it's a "finished" look though.

The body is perfect - and of course - love the wardrobe (or lack of... lol). But the hair... there are almost too much of it, they need to do something about it...

strangely I like his long hair in causal modern clothing, like those pics in Paris.

Mmmm.... I dunno... I have to think about it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :D For once, new pics I appeared while I was doing a post, as opposed to two minutes after I finish it!

I literally had to go and have a swig of wine, these pics have completely kncked me for six. i was going to watch some MMile tonight but I can't now because I feel that young Jake has grown up and I would look at the younger Jake and be thinking of the Prince, and not be able to focus on a fine film.

We all have to talk about this look! It's a shock! You follow someone for years, watch them grow up almost and then you have Prince Dastan before you. So what do I like?... I love the trousers and the boots, I love the jewellery and I love the body, but, at the moment, the hair is not right for me either. Clearly hair extensions here and just too heavy. But is this how it'll look?

I do agree with you that this hair looks so cool when mixed with that great t-shirt etc Jake wore in Paris.

I'm trying to imagine this Prince talking in an English accent - at the moment there seems something of the prehistoric about him!!

So, the solution? More pics, please! If it's known where he was at the weekend, maybe that's because there are pics to follow. Who knows? But I want to see more! At the moment, that torso is my new desktop and I was never one for muscles before JG came along...

Anonymous said...

SQUEEEEE!! Those arms...that chest...that codpiece. THUD

G

Anonymous said...

That's what I think - maybe not quite a finished look yet. His body is drop-dead sexy, no question - (above and below the belt, WDW ;) ) I'm not sure about his hair either, or the boots. Maybe it's the scene they're doing. I like that he's not going to be waxed, tho. It's almost as though having him shirtless is too much? Is it too overtly sexy? Maybe refine it a little, a little more subtle? Jake's beautiful, but too talented for it to be like a romance novel cover. Reese is one lucky woman, I have to say. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey G! I'm trying not to look at the codpieces, it's doing untold damage to my blood vessels...

Hi Anon :D Interesting thought there - is it too overtly sexy - hmmm. That is a possibility. Of course, the Prince of Persia is a romantic, athletic action hero and so he is going to be sexy and maybe we have some bias because well we think Jake is sexy in a rubbish bag, but yes. This costume is clearly designed to be full on sexy - that's why I am greedy and now want to hear him speak. I want sexy but I also want intelligent and sexy. But these are just a few pics...

I do like the boots though, and the belt - ahem - distracted by that...

But exactly, anon, Jake is more than Mills & Boon. He's also an intelligent indie guy and our Prince needs some quirks. But early days :D Just going to look at that belt again... See, I have inner conflict!

Monica said...

Hello, Wet Dark!

OMG! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
The look of it was much better than expected!
And we still have to wait until 2010 to see it in action!
More photos? Only if it perched on a pool! Hehehehehe
These photos are my early birthday present! Why talk about it, I will complete 27 years Friday, the same age as Jake!

I love it the look of Reese!

Anonymous said...

Yes, full on sexy is giving me inner conflict too. ;) I'm a bit overwhelmed, I think, at first look! But overall, I like it.

Anonymous said...

DAMN!!! I am speechless.... *thud*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Oh Happy Birthday for Friday Monica!! Many happy returns. Consider these pics your gift from all of us - and from Jake of course. Pool pics? I culd live with those :D

Hi Anon :D It is overwhelming, definitely. I like far more than I dislike - well, I dont dislike anything - just have hair issues - but with Jake's movies we're well used to those!

Hey Get Real! I could hear that thud from here!!

Anonymous said...

This is just such a MAJOR shock. He looks SO different. So B.I.G. Yes, WDW. My eyes are drawn to the belt, too. And I was so concerned about his pants. But I think these will...work. (gulp.)
Ah...OK. Well...I'm feeling rather ...tired. Time for a lie down. ((Goes into another room to bang head against wall and makes a fist she can bite down on!)

Anonymous said...

I just had a mental image of the Prince in an oasis, rising up out of a pool of water where he had been swimming to cool off. I have to go lie down now too, the room is starting to spin...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Heehee Anon :D I was worried about the trousers - I'm not worrying anymore. No sign of any pantaloons here, gulp.

That's quite an image, anon :D Of course, in the game, the prince regularly ahs to take refuge in water to recharge. It's all too much...

Anonymous said...

Meow.

Although it is a bit blaspheming to say, I agree with the comments about the hair - there seems to be a bit too much of it (and I have NEVER said there was too much of anything about Jake, ever!) The pics in real life are way sexier - if only we could see some of those without a shirt!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :D I can kind of see myself separating Jake from the Prince (as with all of Jake's roles) and while Jake in real life will always be the sexier, I'm going to enjoy looking at that chest! I'm so weak... You're right, we need comparison shirtless photos for a scientific study :D I think there's just too much hair... But this is just one look from one scene. It bodes well!

paulh said...

I don't mind the quantity of hair, I just think it's too obviously a wig. But everything else is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

OMFG! OMG... OMG... OMG... OMG...
*jaws hangs to the floor*

sheba said...

Thanks for the new post, he is magnificent!. His Royal Hotness has finally come up for air. I hope the hair issue doesn't detract from the film and Jake's performance like it did for The Davinci Code. The point I was making in the earlier post is that we're seeing JAKE in costume and not THE PRINCE in usual attire so its a little out of context.

I don't know about anyone else but a sense of excitement shot through me like electricity. How the heck are we going to wait nearly 2 years before we see this exciting venture that Jake's going to lead us on? Any suggestions?

(puts match sticks in handbag to prop open eyes in the morning)

Anonymous said...

FAINT

sheba said...

Just a quick peak in at My Prince before heading out. Freakin Hot is all I can say :DDD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Wow, what a night with these and I dreamt of them too!

Hi Paul - absolutely fabulous :D Maybe the hair will get some attention...

Heehee Dailing! Hope you're ok ;D

Morning Sheba! OMG have youturned into a night owl? Are you on Oz time or something? I feel like I should make you a cup of coffee. I have another lazy day off so watching the Olympics before heading out to see another movie.

That is a very good point about these pictures - that it is Jake in costume and not the Prince in context. That will change everything, and when we hear him speak, act, interact etc. It's all hard to take in! I'm glad we're going to get warning through hopefully more pictrues like these. Have a good day and get some sleep!

*Fanning Ania* - morning Ania :D

Anonymous said...

Well those pictures cured my low blood pressure problem. Good grief.

Thanks, WDW!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey good to see you Jannis! Good grief kind of says it all! Hope you're well and happy xx

Ruby said...

(((jannis))). I miss you.

I'm really not sure what I think of this. I was pretty much speechless when I first saw the pics.

I don't know about overtly sexy, but certainly overtly macho. I was hoping for something a little less Conan and little more Legolas. Isn't the Prince supposed to be agile? I hope this isn't the finished product. He reminds me of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules actually.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ruby! I've been reexamining these pictures this morning - ahem - and because of all the buzz about these pics today, I can't help wondering if someone wanted to see what the general reaction was.

But I also think that some of those marks of Jake's body might be from armour which he's taken off. But I'm hoping that the overall effect when finished won't be all Conan! For me, the trouble is the hair because it gives Jake a Neanderthal look. So more pics please!

I'm worrying about sunburn - I'm a dabhand with the lotion...

Hope you're having a good day!

Ruby said...

oh I'm certain that the pics are for publicity and to see initial reactions.

I take your point above about being out of context too. I can't hear an English accent with this look though. More "ugh. Woman. Cave"

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Gotta say 'Ugh. Woman. Cave.' might work on me :D

I agree these are certainly publicity shots.

But yes, I can't see an English accent (or at least the type of English accent they've no doubt given the prince)with this look at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow...! (Okay, it's good for my blood pressure since it's always way too low.) And thanks to IHJ - there're more piccies.

The boots are in a way impressive and the pants. (I had to grin what a friend wrote me about them and I didn't blush either.) :o)

So, that's the outfit for 80% of the movie - now we need to see the one for the other 20%. :o)

Have all a nice day and keep the emergency number within easy reach. :o)

T.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, this is not my idea of a prince among the parapets, ahem cough cough where is the bod I have late lov'd? is the abdominal area for real? I am admittedly in shock, and refrained from commenting until I had a good sleep. I thot maybe he'll look better side view, but the Iheartjake recent pictures dont persuade me. good god he belongs in a bog. O jake Ive got tears in my ears from cryin' over you.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi T! I just put the new piccies up in a post :D I love those boots and especially those trousers! I think I may have to go out for a walk to cool off... :P

Have a good afternoon!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Posting at the same time - I know it's a shock and there is a real prehistoric caveman feel to these which I hope is misleading. The body though is similar as for Jarhead and I just loved that. But it is a shock. I prefer the rofile view in the new pics.

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Hello!

And very much liking the belt. My eyes are drawn to it.

(O: LOL :O)
Yeah! Nice... belt

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Mmmm... I think the PoP DVD will be on repeat play in many homes...