Saturday 9 August 2008

Making PoP 'fully satisfying' - And pick a sport for Olympian Jake...

Last night, Maggie Gyllenhaal was at a party with spectacular views over the city - although this does remind me a little of a certain scene in The Dark Knight, this time the city was Manhattan and no damage was done, so long as noone bought any of the luxurious diamonds and jewels. The party was for Piaget's US 'launch of their new Limelight Paris-New York jewelry and timepieces' - and it gives us the chance to see just how tall the beautiful Liv Tyler is (off topic: Jake was a guest at Liv's wedding to Royston Langdon back in 2003).


It was also good to see at the same event as a Gyllenhaal one of my favourites, Emmy Rossum, whom I once saw in LA looking perfectly gorgeous in yellow and gold. This party was such a contrast to (but possibly less fun than) another recent sighting of Maggie - at the Edgartown cinema on Martha's Vineyard with Naomi jigging along to Mamma Mia.



Meanwhile, Jake Gyllenhaal is no doubt hard at work battling scorching temperatures, the Vizier's sandy henchmen and tangines. In this interview with Comic Book Resources, Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner gives us a little more flavour of his vision for the whole franchise: 'I've always been fascinated by the Middle East, since I was a kid hearing "1001 Nights" stories. But through "Prince of Persia," the various projects, starting with "Sands of Time," that was when I first really went back and got what I would consider a solid grounding and read the original "1001 Nights" and "Book of Kings." I'm fascinated by that world, both the real history and the mythical aspects.'


Interestingly, when Disney's Aladdin came out, Jordan had worried that it would mean the end of the Prince of Persia franchise - because there would be no way to compete. But now, of course, Disney is behind the PoP movie. Jordan is asked about the extent of his involvement in the different elemements of the franchise: 'And the game, the movie, the graphic novel are all being done by different entities. It's not like I'm sitting on the top of a corporate structure running things. My involvement has been in particular projects. The first one, "Sands of Time," I wrote the story. So I think on every "Prince of Persia" I work on, of course, part of my job is to be true to what "Prince of Persia" is. Make it a good and worthy work in its own right. And the same with the movie. I wrote the screenplay for it. Part of the challenge of that was how to translate that as a movie while keeping the DNA and yet making it a fully satisfying movie.'


Jordan is also asked how the film is coming along: 'Great. Shooting has begun in Morocco. They have a great cast. Mike Nolan's [sic - it's Newell] a great director. It's going to be on a spectacular scale.' Are you going to the set? 'Absolutely, you think I'd miss that? And the game is going to be released in the holiday season, and that's looking really cool. It's kind of interesting, with the game and the movie and the graphic novel all hitting separately, but at around the same time. This is not something I could have foreseen 20 years ago!'


Although Jake is hard at work, I hope that he has some time to watch bits and pieces of the Olympics. Perhaps, like many of us, he will catch up on favourite events online due to the challenge of the time differences with China. With his physical fitness no doubt at its height due to the demands of playing a medieval prince in peril, I thought I'd take a look at the particular Olympic sports in which Jake would excel, given half a chance and a few weeks off to polish his training.


Athletics

Jake is speedy, of that there is no doubt, although I think some credit must be given to Jake's choice of Nike and to all that bottled water. But not only could Jake compete in the sprints, his training for Jarhead showed he had stamina - running five miles a day, then swimming and cycling - so he could also take part in a middle distance event or even - and I shudder just to think on it - the triathlon.



Cycling

Judging by the fact that Jake has a bicyle with his name written on it, that his car contains more spare bicycle wheels than a slow stretch of the Thames, and that Jake owns the entire LiveStrong cycling catalogue, it's fair to say that Jake likes to bike. It's also fair to say that we like it too.



Watersports

One of the biggest perks of being a moviestar is that you don't have to share swimming baths with slimy flotsam and sneezing kids as well as people who don't look where they're going. Although Jake has been seen on more occasions lounging by a pool rather than in one, he no doubt owns one and likes to take a dip now and again. As an ex-lifeguard, Jake is also useful to have around in a pool.


Jake has said how much he enjoys sailing when he is on Martha's Vineyard and, with those biceps, he'd be great in the rowing.


Jake's not bad on a board either...


Shooting

As someone who has received sniper shooting training from Jamie Foxx himself, Jake would be a safe bet for the shooting. He also displayed talent in this sport as a youngster. However, years later, up on Brokeback, he relied upon a more steady pair of hands.



Gymnastics

This is a strong area for Jake - whether trampolining, heaving himself up onto a highpole, lifting weights or (and I'm not 100% certain this is a bona fide Olympic sport) mudwrestling with semi-naked women while encased in a bubble, Jake has shown himself to be a natural gymnast.





He's also a blackbelt.


Equestrian events

You could put your money on Jake for horse events. While his dressage is no doubt a little rusty, he is so able a horseman he has combined two events in one - showjumping and fencing.


Ball sports

Ball sports are more controversial. Britain doesn't even have an Olympic soccer team because it can't decide who should be in it. And then there's the tennis and the basketball (oh and the beach volleyball). But, if the ball sports were less controversial and a little less professional, Jake would be one for the team.



'I didn't know that was a sport' sport

Every four years there appears to be some new unusual sport added to the Olympic rota - such as the introduction of ice sculpture (although not at the Summer Olympics). Should skateboarding ever become a sport (if it's not all ready and British TV just doesn't show it), then Jake may be interested.


Includes pictures from IHJ, Just Jared and Pop Sugar.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, so glamorous! I love what everyone is wearing, Liv and Maggie, and Emmy. Liv is beautiful, and the close-up of Maggie in the black dress is stunning!

Olympian Jake? He'd have to be a swimmer as far as I'm concerned, with that lovely body of his. Love hearing all the PoP info we can get. :)

Beautiful day here in NE, ocean breezes are calling my name, so see you later! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BK! I know, gorgeously glamorous - I love all these ladies. And I love this look on Maggie - she does it so well - very elegant but also calm and very sexy, almost in an old-fashioned way. I'm useless at talking about clothes (especially dresses - I don't even own one!) so I'll let others put it into words.

That's an excellent point about the swimming. But not with a cap... The cycling is good because I like the spandex. I have noticed that my interest in Jake and sports often depends on what he is or isn't wearing.... Strange that!

So glad you have such a beautiful day - enjoy some sunshine for us over here in wet and windy Blighty :D

Anonymous said...

Triathlon would be great for him - swimming, cycling and *a bit* running. Okay, it's not Olympic and cycling with more than 30°C and a humidity of more than 90% wouldn't be fun. :0)
BTW - the suits of the swimmers aren't that bad either, though in the past you always saw more skin.
Basketball... I guess he's not tall enough to be real good - OTOH - a small whirlwind between these tall guys would be nice.
I wonder how he would look as the captain of a sailing ship. (There's a big event nearby - and these huge ships with all sails set look great. At least they have enough wind today.)

T.

Anonymous said...

:) this post makes me smile, lol and drool all at the same time. ;p

The Olympic opening ceremonies were amazing and stunning.

Based on all these pics and, according to WDW, his qualifications Jake would definitely wins some gold. ;)

Love the Maggie sightings.

And thanks for the Chris videos in the last post, Pia. He is adorable and no wonder he and Jake are best friends. :)

Xoxo

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey T! Imagine doing a triathlon in that kind of heat and humidity and smog - well, I can't actually imagine doing it anywhere but there's a big one held round here that I do like to watch each year while having a beer and a picnic.

I think the new swimming costumes are an improvement on the ones in recent years but too much waxing going on for Jake.

Hi Get Real! Glad you've enjoyed reading this :D Much fun was had doing it. Jake definitely deserves a gold medal in my book! Whole chestful. Be better if he won a chestful and was British - we could do with some...

And yes, a big thanks to Pia for the Chris video link. Is there a link to the series, Pia? Now my laptop can actually watch videos without smoke coming out the back, I can see them at last :D

Have a great evening :D

Anonymous said...

this is the link WDW: click on to Edible Island and you will see list of Chris videos.

http://vineyard.plumtv.com/features/eat

man, Ethel Sherman can't keep her hands and eyes off Chris, his bedhead hair, his charming schticks, givin' him a bump on the biceps - wicked Ethel! imagine what she'd do with Jake!

having a hard time exiting yesterday's post and Vineyard food - omy!

ok fast foward to Maggie in flats, and Liv in heels. gorgeous.

Olympian sport for Jake? Nekkid wrestling!

(back to brokeback: surely there are outtakes of the post SNIT wrestling scenes! - O Ang you are so wicked, keepin' it all for yourself, you and your friends in Westchester County. . . grrrr!)

OK G&T and let's see whats on-line from the Olympics.

Zodiac said...

"outtakes of the post SNIT wrestling scenes" are officially the most secret deleted scenes in the history of cinema EVER! They got to be somewhere!


This post is a gem, WDW.

P.S. OT question: people say Heath is wearing "Matilda" badge in a nurse scene. I just can't spot it. Am I blind or are people making that up? Enlighten me,please.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I grew up in Westchester there, Pia! ;) My mom still lives there and when we go to Larchmont movie theatre I always hope to see Ang there.

FYI for those who don't know...Ang lives in Larmont NY, Westchester County just outside NYC.

Just watched the Chris video. Yeah, there was lots of flirtin' with Chris and Ethel, lol. OMG, I would pay money to see her with Jake too! Great video.

Still want to see TDK in Imax. Heath was so damn good.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Thanks so much for the link - I'll have a look at those videos right now (love the fishing one). Chris is such a sexy guy... When I saw him in Toronto I did a triple take :D

nekkid wrestling? Excellent idea, Pia. We'd have to be fussy about who Jake is doing the nekkid wrestling with...

Ang should be ordered by law to hand over all FNIT and SNIT outtakes :)

I loved the gymnastics and swimming today :D I also watched Rendition with the commentary. I turned the commentary off at the end as I just wanted to see the end again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Posting at the same time! My last post took ages as I was watching Chris videos while I did it.

I heard about the Joker's badge and I couldn't make out the name on the screen I saw it on. maybe at the IMAX?

Hey there Get Real! I didn't know about Westchester - that's amazing that you know Ang's town so well. maybe one of these days...

I've been saving the videos and just seen glimpses. I'll enjoy them over a glass of red during my long weekend :D

Thanks to you all (and Chris and Jake) for cheering me up today after a yucky week!

Anonymous said...

Cooool - Ang lives near where I'm going on holiday - hope he offers me a cup of tea when I call :)

WDW nice sporting Jake pics but I really posted tonight to say
I LOVE MAGGIE'S SHOES
and look forward to tomorrow.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Nouskie! You must pop in! What a lovely place for a holiday :D I like Maggie's shoes too! I loved her red carpet shoes but they can't be comfortable (I can see my high-heeled friends rolling their eyes...).

Anonymous said...

just where are you going, Anouska? Get Real I raised my daughter in New Rochelle and we would go to the beach in Larchmont.

We should be able to get it on with the Ang Lee crowd.

Anonymous said...

I'll PM ya, P.i.a. *

Don't get on with heels either, WDW, though I like a kitten heel and a pointy toe sometimes :)

Nite for now *

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia! We have to have an outing :DD I'm up for it.

Nite Anouska - if it's any higher than a Converse I'm falling over...

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW...I hope you are well.. I have been away..mentally..some tough times...but I am rebounding.. I love this posting..as I do all your postings..but especially this one, because I am a sports fanatic..and Jakey is very much into sports too. I believe the sport he is most suited for is cycling..perfect body for it...nice long muscular legs..powerful arms...let me stop their..I am getting all sweaty..LOL!! He looks fabulous in all the sports pictures, and I am sure he would most probably excel at anything he tried.. Thanks again..and always know I remain a faithful reader even when I do not get to comment!!

Michele

Anonymous said...

Okay, Pia, guess where in Westchester I grew up. New Rochelle! Lived on the border of Scardale though. So we had Scardale address and went to the New Ro schools. Then we moved, etc, etc. Small world though...


Here is the NY Times article/interview from Ang's home in Larchomt.

Anouska are you coming to NYC?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Michele - so good to see you and I'm really sorry you're going through difficult times :) We're here whenever you want us. I love Jake the cyclist too - just perfectly suited to that incredible body of his, which is, in turn, supremely suited to a load of spandex. Take care and post when you can xxx

Hi Get Real! My Small World sense is twitching. That's incredible. (Did I ever tell you about the time I was in a bar in Tanzania and I turned round and next to me was my next door neighbour....?) Thanks so much for the link :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a very small world story, WDW! Wild...

Btw, should have been Scarsdale in my previous post.

Good to see you (((Michele)))

Wet Dark and Wild said...

The world definitely seems smaller, Get Real, since I found Jake :D

Hope everyone has a good night :) Here, I'm lisening to the rain on my window.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone - hope you all have a good day - and the sun has come out :D

paulh said...

So many topics to cover, so little time. :-(

Bicycling would be Jake's best bet as an Olympic sport. Why else would Lance Armstrong have had such high hopes for Jake in his biopic?

Running? Remember that Martha's Vineyard road race, when Jake came in a second or two behind Chris. More than 110 runners came in ahead of them, though.

Swimming I don't know about. There is a revolutionary new swimsuit design that drastically reduces friction and has already led to some new world records at the Olympics. Jake would be much faster than he already is if he wore this suit, but everyone else is going to be wearing the same type of suit....

Yesterday I saw "Pineapple Express," which has two Jake connections: Seth Rogen (who was in "Donnie Darko"), and James Franco (whom Jake mentioned by name as having the type of head Jake wishes he had). A lot of silly fun, with hit men wanting to get a job over with so they can go to dinner with their wives on time.
There's some wonderful panicking, not unlike Ethan hawke in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". People get shot, and you think they're dead, but they just keep moving along, with more and more bandages covering the bullet holes. :-) Very, very funny. There's a scene where Franco is driving a police car with his foot stuck in the windshield because he had spilled cappuccino on it and thought he could see better with a hole in the windshield. Considering that's a drug dealer (albeit a very nice drug dealer), don't ask how he came to be driving a police car.

Anonymous said...

"...his car contains more spare bicycle wheels than a slow stretch of the Thames"


LOLOL! This is just a delightful thread!

Anonymous said...

I think Jake should do the triathalon. Running, cycling,...and what was the third thing? Swimming? If he decides on just one thing, it has to be cycling.

Anonymous said...

does he really have a blackbelt? at what age did he acomplish this?
i never knew.

sheba said...

Bon soir mon amis (La Vie En Rose influenced), finally got rid of this fever and migrane to even look at a computer (must be Olympic Fever). And here's a post to bring my fever back. Inspired WDW, inspired - well, Jake does make it easy for you ;D

Olympic Jake - faster, higher, stronger
,..... well, I was watching the historic victory of Michael Phelps and thought of Jake's wonderful V shaped torso, the body of a swimmer *imagines Jake diving into the sea in slow motion and coming out of the water in tight yellow shorts...* oh.. where was I. Oh yes, a swimmer definitely.

Then again, I'd quite like to see him do the decathalon. He has the physical fitness and endurance to pull it off (plus losts of screen time). I'd also say fencing but he'd be covered from head to toe so - no! Tennis, yes, but he'd have to play topless ...... because of the heat an all ....... and the smog :DD

Thanks for letting me in the sand pit to play with y'all.

Anonymous said...

well, I was watching the historic victory of Michael Phelps and thought of Jake's wonderful V shaped torso, the body of a swimmer *imagines Jake diving into the sea in slow motion and coming out of the water in tight yellow shorts...* oh.. where was I. Oh yes, a swimmer definitely.

What a beautiful thought, my thoughts too. Let's hear it for the lovely male "V" shaped torso! Actually, I think with the proper training, Jake's beautiful body would adapt well at most sports. I like the idea of the decathalon too. The only thing I balk at is removing his beautiful body hair for swimming!

Michael Phelps' body seems to be exceptional even among male elite-class swimmers! He's built like a merman. Captures the imagination, there's a neat picture of him around with a merman's fishtail. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there! Made it back, now settling with a lovely glass of red :D

Hey Paul! Thanks for that great comment - made me chuckle a lot. I've come to the conclusion that the best sport for the Jake is the one where I can have a say in the outfit. Swimming would have to be out as I don't like the new swimming getups. I think it would have to be a long distance track event as then the camera would be following him for a good half money. A sprint would not be good.

I always liked Jake's Franco head comment - a classic Jake quote :D The film sounds good but complicated :) I'm hoping to see Elegy tomorrow, particularly spurred on now I know it's by Philip Roth.

Hi there Anons :D Triathlon is a great idea as then we get to see Jake for a long time and it various costumes, he also has to get changed on the run...

I made up the bit about the black belt :D But he looks the part in that pic!

Hey Sheba! Glad you're feeling better and ready for some Jake therapy and yes the inspiration is all Jake. Ooh, I'd forgotten the decathlon - excellent choice! Best of all worlds there, so long as they threw in a swimming event as well - the others don't need to do it, just Jake.

Have a wonderful evening :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon! Posting at the sametime :D I'm not keen on all that swimming waxing myself. Michael Phelps is incredible to watch. I've missed all of the Olympic action today so I have to find some highlights online. I think Jake has a body made for sport too, so graceful and strong :)

sheba said...

Thanks WDW, Jake therapy, ahhh, that's just what I needed. Glad to be back ;D

Michael Phelps' body seems to be exceptional even among male elite-class swimmers! He's built like a merman. Captures the imagination, there's a neat picture of him around with a merman's fishtail. :)

Hey Anon, that's hot, would love to see that - now you've got my imagination all fired up. I already believe that Jake is ethereal as it is :DD

Jake reminds me so much of the swimmers, especially how he likes to warm up and shake his arms around. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3PEVUmKAL0

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! Thanks so much for that! Oh to see Jake on a podium and put a gold medal round his neck :D

sheba said...

As long as I can present him with the customary flowers after and reach up for a kiss :o))

I wish Riverdance was an Olympic sport....