Tuesday 9 September 2008

Updated: Jake Gyllenhaal's 'a lovely kid' and 'Dastan's the street rabble' - Plus 'What does it mean to you?'

Toby Kebbell - another of the Princes of Persia - is interviewed in Premiere today and there are a couple of PoP questions: 'I've been out in Morocco for two and a half months, so everyone keeps asking me if I'm hot in my suit, but it's 49 degrees [Celsius] in Morocco on a cool day, so it's great. It's easy living.' 'What's your role?' I'm a prince of Persia. Not the prince of Persia; my brother's the prince of Persia, Dastan, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who's great. He's a lovely kid. I play the head of the Persian army, so I'm sort of the evil one of the brothers. My oldest brother... is gonna be the future king of Persia, so I'm the head of the army and Dastan's the street rabble.' Great stuff and good to hear Jake is making friends on set!


Just the slightest of news about Brothers - just a slither - but just to remind us all that the wheels still turn to bring this film to our screens. Variety reports that producer Michael 'De Luca just wrapped the Relativity-financed, Jim Sheridan-directed "Brothers," which MGM releases in December; Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman star.' With production wrapped and distributors in place for both sides of the pond, here's hoping we will soon get full release dates, not only for the US but also for the rest of us.


In The Prince of Persia, Jake will no doubt be a hero to steal our hearts and make us swoon. This got me thinking that, in the majority of Jake's films, he has not been a conventional hero. In fact, far from it, Jake has often portrayed a boy or man who is hanging on at the edges of society, whether through his own choice or through the prejudice and ignorance of others. This may partly be because some of Jake's 'best' roles have been in independent films, where the job of the hero is not solely to make us sigh and tremble, but also to make us question ourselves and fear for him and for our own condition.


I doubt there can be many better examples of such a character than Donnie Darko - the boy who would have been a superhero in any other universe. Jake still talks about how people continue to question him about this film - and he has also said that he wishes he could redo the publicity now that he has more of an understanding of Richard Kelly's design. In Jake's introduction to the Donnie Darko book: 'When we were working, I would beg and plead with Richard to find one through-line and an understandable conclusion. He never would. Some could argue that this was detrimental to the film. And it might be to any other film. And there are those who would say that it was to this one. But I wish those people could spend a day with me sometime. So they could sit at a meal, or walk down the street when a total stranger walks up and starts a philosophical discussion about what exactly Donnie Darko is about. It makes my day every time. Because every time, I answer, 'I have no idea, what does it mean to you?'


Here is one comment by Jake about the reactions he has received to his 'nice psycho': 'This film in all the right ways, regardless of being part of it, is one of those films that - like Richard says - disturbs the comfortable and comforts the disturbed. I had a few comments from people... a wonderful comment from a girl right after the first showing of the film at the Eccles Theater. She said her brother was manic-depressive, and some of my actions in the film and goings on my character talks about, really touched her in a way similar to her brother's experience. On the other side, a guy in the bathroom came up and said, 'Wow man, you play a really nice psycho.' Which seems like an oxymoron, but I guess it's possible. There are people who come up and say, 'I don't get this, or that, but I was really moved.' There's a point in the movie where you have to let your mind go, and abandon what you want to happen, and have faith that what you're feeling is right. And whatever you're feeling it's the right one. That's what a successful film should do.'


And one of the reasons why Jake IS Donnie Darko in this film, is because, despite it all, Jake felt he could relate to Donnie: 'Well, there is part of me that's Donnie Darko, I'm not gonna deny that, and there's a part of me that looks at the world now in a more mature way than when I made the movie. I was going through a tough time growing up, dealing with it and figuring it out, and that was why I related so much to Donnie. It's not like the growing up has stopped, but I do feel I'm different. There's a whole other part of me that's other things. I just haven't shown them yet' [Cosmo.]


But it's not just Donnie who lived on the edge. There was also Holden in The Good Girl, who wasn't Holden at all, but who took on this persona because it was only that way that he could deal with life and his isolation and need. Jake: 'There's something about him that makes me think he's only read that one book. He's so lost that he just sort of takes on this "Holden" persona because he understands it's universal. There's a funny line in the movie where [Jennifer Aniston's character] says to my character, "Your name's Tom?" And he says, "Tom is my slave name. Holden's what I call myself."'


As Jake put it: 'The guy in The Good Girl has a dire need to be loved and is clearly disturbed. But it was the complicated relationships that I responded to. The way relationships are usually painted in films is bullshit. In my experience relationships are really complicated, especially when you're young: you're just flailing around and hurting each other. I haven't yet found a relationship in a movie that is true to that.'


Jake is good at these roles - audiences can get past those big blue eyes and lips slightly curved to see someone with even more serious problems than their own. He makes us identify with people living beyond our usual frame of reference. The Good Girl director Miguel Arteta found Jake perfect for the role of Holden, because 'You need a guy whose sadness you can really believe in the beginning, and you can believe how deranged he gets by the end of the movie... It was hard, but Jake has the range.' Jake's audition also left its mark: ''In a real actorly moment, Jake got really wrapped up and he picked up a chair and put a hole in the wall, just threw it against the wall,' says Arteta. 'And Jennifer and I, who had heard about the new paint job, we just turned to Mike [screenwriter Mike White] in horror. Mike was like, 'He should get the part, but I hope he pays me back for our wall.''


Although a portrayal of a real man in a real situation, Zodiac put Jake in uncomfortable shoes (and shirts) and in a world to which, he said, he did not want to return. Here was a character I think Jake had a lot of trouble identifying with (not that it mattered as his performance was superb). 'I remember everyday as I put on my shirt to play the the character, I'd be like [big sigh] 'I hate this shirt' but it worked for me - and not just for the movie - to push myself through that.'


Jake told German Vanity Fair: 'I didn't want to accept the role at first [Graysmith]. I didn't accept my character. He doesn't even try to escape his isolation. A part of me hated that. I've never had such a feeling. Jack in Brokeback Mountain or Swofford in Jarhead at least try to develop relationships with others. The character in Zodiac simply loves to be lonely. Don't get me wrong – there are times when I'm glad to be alone. My success has permitted me over the last few years to spend more time just with myself. That's great, but this character in Zodiac went way beyond what is normal.' "This is a place where I could never see myself going" - it was hard and a "little scarey".


This is the first part of this post - these are just some of the extremes into which Jake's roles have taken him. Other roles have taken him to different places, beyond the normal experiences of most, but experienced by men and women such as ourselves.

Beyond the pail

Although separated from America's political confrontation by an ocean and several time zones, I was just appalled and bemused to read this article today about a Hollywood Republican who sees fit to pick on the Gyllenhaals, especially Maggie: 'A movie could have a direct message with Maggie Gyllenhaal and the Gyllenhaal triumvirate of hate that says that America is horrible, and yet that message is overwhelmed by the proliferation of excess on the screen.' Not only does Breitmart make little sense - he is rambling after all - he also proclaims that the division in his party over such issues as gay marriage is a good thing because it demonstrates they like a good debate.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is the birthday of two girls connected to Jake in one way or another: Ava Phillippe is 9 and Michelle Williams is 28. Happy blonde birthday!

Great post, WDW, as usual.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi By the Way :D Thanks for that! And happy birthday to Ava and Michelle. I can't believe Michelle is only 28... Thanks for commenting :)

I've updated the post with more PoP news - thank heavens for RocknRolla!

Zodiac said...

Oh yes, I remember now, Reese once said Ava was born on 09.09.1999 and that she was very lucky:)

There are no brothers in the game, right, WDW?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! I've not come across any of Dastan's brothers in the game but admittedly I do get lost... It just shows that there is far more to the movie than the Sands of Time game, despite what has been said. Sounds good to me :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you for lovely post, and picture number two, that gorgeous scarf and Jake was esp. gorgeous that night.

So glad to hear Jake is still perceived as a "kid" so I assume he is still up to his usual playful tricks and SO glad to hear the weather's not horrific and everybody's having fun.

Gotta get a coloring book.

O gosh WDW please do not quote Repugs of any variety - do not spread the poisonous gas please!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia, it's very good news to hear that Jake is up to kid stuff on the set :D

Anonymous said...

Dastan is going to be the street rabble brother? And Toby's role sounds interesting too. I love it - this is getting better and better and more interesting all the time. :)

Happy birthday to Michelle and Ava.

More interesting thoughts from Jake on his roles, and thanks for the info on Brothers and PoP, WD&W!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BK! Ooh it sounds great. We have Toby as the leader of armies, that means battles, horses, armour and a lot of handsome hunks :D And I LOVE the idea of street rabble Jake. The more I hear the more I love it - and bits are getting out :D

And I am hopeful we'll hear more of Brothers soon.

OT but I'm watching a programme about 17th century cuisine - Jake would love it, but I don't think he'd want to cook tongue pie and an entire pike. I like the idea of beer for brekkie though :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Did you know that the first pudding was served in 1617 in Cambridge?

Anonymous said...

^^My Cambridge or your Cambridge? ;)

Tongue pie? Bleech! A whole pike? I don't know. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That be my Cambridge, BK, and did you know that almost all dishes in the 17th century included the cooked comb from a cock's head? No wonder they drank all that claret....

Jake is HOT! ahemmm

Anonymous said...

Bleech! I don't know about that - at least they didn't waste anything I guess - I know I probably would have starved during that time. Claret I could handle tho, and would probably need it. But being as I would most likely be a member of the common rabble back then, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it! ;)

I can't wait to actually *see* our street rabble prince Jake, it's been too long!

Anonymous said...

watched donnie darko last night for the umpteenth time, it always goes down easy. for Jake, too, I think - win/win all around.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

You and me both, BK, in the street rabble with Jake. At least that way we'd be spared the pie full of wriggly eels and the pisspot by the side of the table. 21st century sounds good!

I just can't wait to see Jake in PoP and I have such a good feeling about it - the wait doesn't seem so bad now as I know it'll be worth it. Sounds like it'll be great!

Hi Pia :D I sent my young colleague links to YouTube clips of Donnie Darko today and now she can't wait to see it too. It's in my top 5 films of all time and strangely I disassociate it from my 'Jake thing' as my fascination with this film predates my love of Jake. Seems strange that now :)

paulh said...

I'm not sure what "Repugs" are, unless it's a new term for Republicans. I have to admit, though, that in recent years I have had a sense that the so-called Know-Nothings have returned to the U.S. :-( A real pity, really. People who won't let their children get vaccinated, people who think Intelligent design is a scientific concept (wouldn't at least one actual scientist have to propose such a theory?) It keeps getting worse...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! And it's a beautiful day :D

Hi there Paul :D As you said before BBM is more relevant than ever.

I have images in my head of the 'lovely kid' Jake :D I'm glad to hear he's giving people a laugh on set.

Anonymous said...

Good news about Brothers. I am keeping my faith that it's going to be a good film.

I love hearing all these little bits about PoP's filming... hey, the Prince seems to have shorter hair in some pics (sorry, I never play any of those games), maybe Jake doesn't have to have hair extensions in the entire film?

the sun has come out... :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Winterbird! I love hearing all these snippets too. Shifting hair levels, eh? hmmmm I'm still wondering if the face fuzz stays through all of Brothers...

Have a good day :D

Anonymous said...

London film festival has annouced the lineup - no sight of Brothers.. :(

Empire Online

Xenia said...

Hello WDW and everyone!

Thanks for another wonderful post WDW, and thanks for the interview and all the PoP news...See? I told you the Persian brothers were a bunch!
And Jake, a lovely kid? Mmmm I think a like that Toby Kebbel guy, even if he's the evil one.

I've just read an interview given by Natalie Portman during the VFF, where Brothers was mentioned when the interviewer asks Natalie what she thinks about the last Hollywood trend to remaking old (or not so old) movies. I took it as a good sign. :)

Have a great day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird - I've been checking this all day. I can't say I'm surprised but I am disappointed :(

Hey Xenia :D You were right about the bunch of Prince brothers and yes I like the sound of this prince too! Sounds like Prince Dastan is up against quite a few baddies... Wonder if we'll get a big battle.

Definitely a good sign about the Natalie interview. Brothers is coming, it's just doing it delicately :D

Hope everyone's having a good day - still sunny amazingly...

paulh said...

Brothers is coming in December, from what I can gather. "Curious case of Benjamin Button" is arriving about that time, too. Funny how they were able to fit Benjamin Button into the holiday season, but not "Zodiac." :-(

I'm not surprised that Jake had trouble getting into his "Zodiac" character's mind, but his acting prowess carried the day just the same.

Ruby said...

How very disappointing that Brothers isn't in the LFF list. :(

I discovered today that LFF also stands for the London Fetish Fair. Maybe we should do that instead of the Film Festival.

Anonymous said...

Great post, WDW.
One of the things I adored about Jake from the start (well... apart from his gorgeous looks) was the type of unconventional heroes he seemed to be playing on a regular basis.
I would add to your list also his stage character from This Is Our Youth, which, sadly I've only read on paper, having missed Jake on stage in London! Arghh!...

Cheers,
Paola

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! From the sounds of it Benjamin Button isn't without its problems too, as David takes on the studios to keep it as he wishes. Good for him!

Hey there Rubes! Very disappointing... The Fetish Fair sounds good - can we invite Jake?

Hi Paola :D I was so sorry to have missed TIOY too :( This was just the first part of a longer post. I'm going to return to the theme with other roles as it interests me. Unconventional but what a looker :D

Vole-Tear said...

Jake Gyllenhaal's become one of my favorite actors. My favorite film is "Donnie Darko" where he finds a book about time travel written by a crazy old woman. It reminded me of a story about a crazy old man in who lived in SF. Here's a quote from his book.

“As they know themselves to dwell in the world of time and yet to be capable of transcending it, so the Ultimate Reality, they think, inhabits yet inconceivably exceeds all that they know to be — as the soul of the musician controls and exceeds not merely each note of the flowing melody, but also the whole of the symphony in which these cadences must play their part.”

Evelyn Underhill as quoted by John Titor
San Francisco, 1967.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you Vole-Tear and welcome :D Donnie Darko is such a special film and it is timeless, I think. I'm proud that Jake was such an important part of making it what it is. Thanks very much for the quote :D

paulh said...

There's a huge, 27-kilometer particle accelerator [CERN] in Switzerland, which held its first test yesterday. Some skeptics fear that it could spawn a new universe, which might be good if it brings Donnie Darko back. :-)