Tuesday 30 December 2008

It's official, Jake Gyllenhaal is Fit... and Handy

According to the readers of the UK's Heat magazine, Jake Gyllenhaal is Fit! Although this is hardly news, it is true. In the mag's survey of the fittest male celebrity bodies of 2008, Jake has been listed at No 6, which astoundingly means that five celebrity male bodies have been judged fitter. What is also in some doubt is the term 'fit' as, judging by the list, which contains the likes of Matt McConaughey, David Beckham, Gordon Ramsay and Russel Brand, this could mean fit or fit, if you see what I mean. Fortunately, as Jake is both, his place at the top of the list should be a dead cert.


Handy Jake

The picture of Jake buying a drill at the weekend reaffirmed my belief that all men do want drills and other DIY tools for Christmas. If they don't get them, they'll have to go out and buy them themselves. Jake with a drill is also infinitely desirable because not only is Jake the 6th fittest celebrity male in the world (see above), he is now extremely handy.


Even putting aside tables made for parents' summer homes in MV as well as protestations of woodworking ambitions, Jake has demonstrated on more than one occasion, through his films, that if you have a job that needs doing, Jake is your man. Even way back in October Sky, Jake exhibited original carpentry skills, showing that rocket science can actually have its practical uses.



While Donnie Darko's plumbing skills left much to be desired, Robert Graysmith finally realised his dire need for shelving - if only he could find the instructions.




Resourcefulness is a virtue, especially during a particularly cold spell, and Jake has demonstrated that he needs no more than two chairs, a pencil and a scarf to create winter footwear.



But why stop at footwear, when you only need a bit of plastic, some straps, a ventilation unit and double-sided sticky tape to construct an entire bubble suit? This can double up as your own personal greenhouse and sauna.



Up on Brokeback, Jake demonstrated how good he was at putting a camp together. He knew the first rule of camping - always clear the ground of potential animal hazards.




Includes pictures from IHJ.

14 comments:

paulh said...

Um, psst, WDW! I'm a guy, but the world is a lot safer if I *don't* have a lot of tools. Just a hammer and wrench, that's it, and I already have all of those that I need. :-)

Yes, Jake is fit. He is not a professional athlete, though. This is not to say that he couldn't be one if he wanted. But he belongs high up on that list either way.

This past Sunday, we had temperatures in the 60s (Fahrenheit), and I was hoping that my plan for going from Christmas directly into Spring had been approved by the Powers That Be. But no, we're going the other way, and New Year's Eve night we'll be in single digits. Brr!

Maybe I should book a table at the Rainforest cafe?

Monica said...

Good morning, wet dark!

He could fix some things in my room!
Great choice of photos, especially the first!

I found this site:
Meet Famous

Jake is so young in this photo!
I never read that the Jake dated Michelle Williams!

Anonymous said...

I love that Jake knows his way around a hardware store too - I even like going to the hardware store and I'm a girl. These BBM photos where Ennis and Jack are setting up camp are some of my favorites too - they're just so . . . cozy. I loved the description of the Ojai ranch I read on a blog "An enclave of artistic semi-recluses north of Los Angeles" - sounds like quite a lovenest. (sorry, again, I just couldn't resist!) It just gets me where I live. I think it's pretty safe to say I love every scene in Brokeback. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Are you sure you don't want a full set of spanners? It's getting a lot colder here too after being really mild at christmas. It was too cold to go out today (although a slight hangover might have had something to do with it). Rainforest cafe sounds great! Love their breakfasts.

Hi Monica! We'll have to come up with a list of jobs for Jake to work through :D Thanks very much for the link. I'd never heard that either, I wonder if they meant someone else? Great phots! Jake's had that Duffy cap a long time, I love to see him wear it.

Hey there, anon :D I'm afraid I don't know one end of a hardware store from another. I love those setting up camp pics from Brokeback too - always good to give them another look :)

My word is scielsto, which sounds very sophisticated.

Anonymous said...

Michelle Williams was in the play Killer Joe in 1999 in NY. Jake looks like he is around 19 in that pic. He was living in NY at the time, he was going to Columbia and dropped out a little while later.

Can't see why that fan would make it up, they said he picked her up at the theater a few times, I believe it.

Heath dated Kiki before Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for the info, Anon. I didn't say that I thought the fan had made it up - I just wondered if they were right. So thanks for the background about the play :)

Zodiac said...

Wasn't Jake dating, like, everyone, when he was 19-20? Even Chelsea Clinton. One day, when I'm bored out of my mind, I'll make a list of all people he's been rumored to have dated. Boy, I might even need more than one day.

Hollywood is like one big family, isn't it?;)

Jake is fit, no doubt about that, but I'm still not sure about the handy part.

Are you celebrating, WDW?:)

My word is blessie. Nice.

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Hello everybody!!

I agree! Jake is fit and hot and sexy and funny and smart and... oh, yeah! handy. I'm sure he can be handy in so many ways... ::sighs::

I love that pic of him with the bike BTW.

Happy Holidays, Gyllenholics!!!

Hugs to WDW =O)

See you next year!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Well, he wasn't dating me and that's all that matters - sob... I've done my neck in Mario Carting on the Wii - some presents are bad for your health. Ooh, that's a nice word - mine is phylsm, which sounds mathematical, no so nice.

I'm not quite celebrating yet! But I nearly am :D

Hi Sara! definitely handy :D That bike pic is in my top 5 that's for sure. Have a Happy new year!

Hope everyone's wrapped up warm for a lovely evening!

Anonymous said...

Zodiac do you also have a birthday around now? I think so.

WDW I know this will be a wonderful year for you!

and Happy New Year, everypeeps!

love
pia

ingingtr - ?

Anonymous said...

I think men who are good cooks usually are handy with some DIY chores as well - both required good handy works :P

Ha.. you know I always find that scene where Jack Twist was pulling the sheep very funny, it's like the sheep struggled a lot at first and then at some point, it just gave up and let Jack man-handled it... or maybe it realised it can't resist Jack/Jake? lol.

Have a great day tomorrow (oh.. actually it's today already!), WDW! Happy Birthday :P

Hugs and Kisses

Anonymous said...

Man, if Jake is so fit and handy, why doesn't he mosey up to Minnesota to shovel my driveway?!? Jake, you're so lucky to live in California.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Happy New Year's Eve!

Hi Pia! - good to see you :D (Zodiac's birthday was on 22nd) I think we will have a good year :)

Morning Winterbird :D We'll have to get Jake round ro test his handiness. I love that scene with the sheep, how it just gives up and who can blame it :D Hugs and kisses back at you xx

He most certainly is, Bandgeek :D I wish he could come round and scrape the thick ice off my car too! We have so many odd jobs for our handy, fit Jake.

Have a good day everyone!

paulh said...

"I think men who are good cooks usually are handy with some DIY chores as well - both required good handy works :P" [Winterbird]

I must be the exception that proves the rule. ;-)

This would be a good time for all the movie directors to film, their snow scenes. Is there any snow in "Prince of persia?"