Friday 19 December 2008

Many happy returns, Jake! It's time to celebrate!

Happy Birthday, Jake! It barely seems a year since your last birthday, the months have flown by so fast, but here it is again. And I hope it brings with it a happy day, complete with friends, pressies, feet up on the sofa/partying (delete as appropriate) and trifle. Please see the last post for the new pictures of Jake in Santa Monica yesterday. But while Jake sits back and unwraps the cookery books, Disney plushie, bottle of something, marzipan treats, new iPod touch, new games for the Wii and some smellies (I'm hoping members of my family are reading this), I thought I'd celebrate Jake's day by taking a look at just a few of the gifts that Jake Gyllenhaal has given us over the years, although there are far too many to list here. So, in no particular order...



Boyfriend magazine: 'I love waking up for work early, especially when it's around 4.30am. I love being on the set of a movie. Some people can't wait to get home, but that's not me. I could sit in my trailer or just hang around a movie set and be one of the last people to leave and be perfectly happy!'



Model Adrienne Curry: 'Jake Gyllenhaal is sexy because not only does he have a fabulous body, but he's also got this childlike innocence to him. You just want to pinch his cheeks and make out with him at the same time.'



'I don't think of myself as good-looking. Not at all. When I was a kid I had these huge glasses. I once went to a fancy dress as a Crest toothpaste tube with these huge glasses stuck on. That is how I see myself most of the time. A Crest toothpaste tube with bad eyesight.'



The LA Press conference for Rendition: Jake: 'What do they say? That the elephant and the donkey and that Emily Dickinson says hope is a thing with feathers and neither an elephant or a donkey has feathers.' Gavin: 'That's way deep.' Jake: 'There you go - see you later... all right... goodbye!'



Filmstew: '“You look like a nice mint chocolate chip cookie,” he suggests in reaction to the mint green blouse and a dark brown skirt I am wearing. “I do?” I ask, blushing and feeling like a 14-year-old. At my advanced age, it really does take a great actor to make me feel that way. “That’s my favorite flavor, so I’ll take that as a compliment,” I offer. ““You should – that’s my favorite flavor too,” he replies. Now I’m totally flustered. As a mature professional, I like to think I can handle any curve ball that’s thrown my way, but Gyllenhaal is looking at me with his adorable blue eyes and incredibly long eyelashes. “Okay, where do we go from here?” I say, stalling for time while I try to recollect my next question. “Let’s just talk about ice cream,” he offers, oozing boyish charm.'


Cosmo 2006: '[On being a secret naturist] Yeah [laughs]. I like to take off my clothes at the end of the day, I like to put them on at the beginning of the day and I prefer to keep them on throughout the day.'


'There was a scene where I was herding 500 sheep on my own, it's not in the movie, down this hill at sunset with, like, a horse. I felt so proud of myself, one, that I was actually riding a horse, two, that I was herding 500 sheep. And there were four or five cameras picking it up, and I remember coming down to the very end and Ang – I was so excited, and Ang said, 'kind of sexy'. That was what he said to me. And I said, 'Let's do it again!' He was like, 'Let's move on'. So my performance, really, I'd describe as 'kind of sexy', just kind of. And then the next scene we moved onto, I was eager to please. And I think he likes to keep that relationship with his actors.'




'I like to compare my relationship with Ang [to] a marriage in some ways. There's a honeymoon period, and then after that – you have the wedding and then you have sex like once or twice a year, but the sex is great, you know what I mean? [laughs] Both Heath and I were incredibly surprised to see Ang at press conferences totally articulate and really very clear about what he was saying about the film. We were both like, 'When we asked it was like...''


Heath on Jake about the filming of Brokeback Mountain: 'I actually ate two or three bars of Cadbury's chocolate each day to get as hyperactive as Jake. I just got fat by the end of the film.'


Yeah, it was like when I was auditioning for Bertolucci, he was like, 'You're going to have to get naked in this movie. If you don't want to get naked then you can't do it.' Roland was like, 'look this is a movie about the environment, and if you don't want to help the environment and get out of your car and recycle, you can't be in this movie.' It was a very similar discussion [laughs]. I know there's no irony in print, either.


On blockbuster movies: 'I love this type of movie. I'm a total pop-culture dork. All the movies I've done reflect where I am and this is one of those times I just wanted to have fun. I've done the sad, introverted characters so I was glad of the change.'


Michelle Williams: 'Honest to God, I did not see the two boys I know. I did not see Jake and I did not see Heath when I saw that scene - and I know both of them well (one of them better than the other). So often, when you're doing a shot like that, the other actors aren't there but I was lucky enough. After the scene I just asked them to embrace, to just hold each other. It was a sweet moment.'



'You grow up in a city and there’s everything around you all the time, and I don’t think you realise how lonely you are until you get out of there. You know, what I think about Brokeback Mountain is that the reason why these two men fall in love is out of loneliness. Like there’s just nothing more in their lives when they meet and it’s the best thing that happens to them when they meet there. And the same thing, I think, in a weird way, Tony Swofford has to go to that place of almost utter, desperate, horrible loneliness in order to become, in a way, the writer that he became. I don’t know, I just feel like you got to go to those places and somehow, unconsciously, I was there all of a sudden. I don’t know really why I picked those films.'


'[And have you emerged a different person?] Yes, definitely. To me, it’s hard to be sitting here and dealing with the result, you know, and talking about the result of them. For a long time I was very interested in the result, what people thought and all these things, but to me these experiences were not that at all. To me I’m a different person because of the process of both of these films, not because of the result of them. That, to me, is really important to distinguish, regardless of people’s judgements.'



'[Oscar buzz] There's a lot of talk about things like that when you're working with a director like Ang Lee, or when you're working with a director like Sam Mendes, because they are inevitably two Oscar-winning directors. When you're working with Jamie Foxx, when you're working with Chris Cooper...it's inevitable that people attach those things to those projects. But for me, I feel like all that I have really, as an actor, is the process...Both Sam and Ang have changed my life regardless of the result of any of these films. The processes of both movies have changed my life, and that's what I take away with me. And everything else is just fun. [laughs] And is a laugh, sometimes. And feeds the ego.'


Cosmo: 'Well, there is part of me that's Donnie Darko, I'm not gonna deny that, and there's a part of me that looks at the world now in a more mature way than when I made the movie. I was going through a tough time growing up, dealing with it and figuring it out, and that was why I related so much to Donnie. It's not like the growing up has stopped, but I do feel I'm different. There's a whole other part of me that's other things. I just haven't shown them yet.'




UK MTV Zodiac special: David Fincher: 'Jennifer Aniston cast this movie because she was saying 'Oh my God! Jake! You'll love him. he's fantastic! He's so charming, he's so great!' Jake: 'She can be one hell of an influence.' David: 'I had seen Jake in Donnie Darko and I'd seen Jake in The Good Girl and I liked that he could be part of something that was dark without having to play dark.'


'[It weighed heavily on Jake that David wouldn't do Zodiac without him.] 'Ach! It's so hard, it's so hard. I've got to tell you, I mean the hardest thing... I mean one day when we have more time, I'm going to go into it with you because to be... it's just tough, really tough. No. It's a nice story when you think about it now because that's the way David is. David gets something in his mind that he wants. It's wonderful when you're the actor that he wants and a lot of people at the time may have not had a lot of faith in you and he'll fight for you. He wanted me. He wouldn't make the movie without me. It was essential. That is what you want from a filmmaker.'



Happy Birthday, Jake! Includes pictures from IHJ.

30 comments:

Incognita said...

Hey WDW! Great to see Jake's birthday post bright and early. It must be dark and cold where you are. Hope your wrist is getting better.

A Very Happy Birthday to you Dear Jake! And thank you for these words of wisdom "To me I'm a different person because of the process of both of these films, not because of the result of them. That, to me, is really important to distinguish, regardless of people’s judgements."

Hugs to you WDW and thanks for the collection of Jake-gifts through the years. Take Care and have a great Jake's-Birthday!

JoeAnn said...

Very nice birthday post, WDW. Funny to see how Jake thinks of himself. Loved the good-bits Zodiac clips. I'm quite curious to see if Jake and Fincher work together again. I hope Fincher thinks he got his money's worth out of Jake. Would be lovely if Jake and Fincher developed a working relationship over several movies like Scorsese and Leonardo di Caprio. It may take that repeat direction from one specific director to push Jake's acting to the next level. Perhaps when Jake gets into his next decade. Most leading men don't even get interesting till they've past the big three-oh. Which brings me to . . .

Happy birthday, Jakeypoo! May you have many, many more and may we all be around to enjoy them with you!

My word is: scocist. Sounds rather clinical.

sheba said...

Ahhh, dlicious post again. Happy 28th Birthday honey-bunny. My birthday wish for Jake is to be surrounded by love, happiness and good wishes. Great that he's back in the US with loved ones. Loving the hair still, looks like it's been tied back.

Gosh... that man looks hotter and hotter with every passing year. I love his naturist comments, it's so stupid and funny at the same time - perfect!

Just had to share this bit of fun. Yesterday we had staff development and had to do icebreakers where everyone stood up and introduced themselves and what they do. When it eventually got to me I stood up, said my name and said "I'm a Gyllenhaalic". I don't know what possessed me to do that but a serious room erupted with laughter - that's the best icebreaker I've ever experienced. Turned out to be a fun day.

Thanks for another year of fun Jakeing and many more years to come WDW. With 'kingsolv' as my word, it's very appropriate for our Prince :DD

*good girl* said...

Hi WDW, thank you for this great post, I'll take some time to go through it carefully back home tonight, right now I could only manage to read part of it and then stopped staring at the santa hat pics and could not move forward :-/

Well just sending my best Happy Birthday wishes to my baby darling Jake, wish him all the best, that's just what he deserves :)

Ahhahah Sheba that was a funny moment indeed :D just by mentioning Jake and Gyllenhaalism you can spread love and happiness :D

Anonymous said...

That's a great birthday post, WDW!

Happy Birthday to the gorgeous, ever handsome Jake...

It warms my heart whenever I read about what Heath said about Jake, it's amazing how different they are and yet, the enormous chemistry they have together. Jake is yang to Heath's yin.

Our boy is 28 now *happy sighs*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello there everybody and Happy Birthday Jake! I'll be toasting you later :D

Incognita! Great to see you on our special day. Now, outside, it looks much nicer weather than Santa Monica, cold but very sunny. I hope it's not too hot and sticky where you are. My wrist is much better, thank you :)

That quote you mention is one of my favourites from Jake discussing what he is getting from his roles - each one adds another piece. It's the journey. I hope that always continues.

Hugs back, Incognita *)

Hi JoeAnn :D Good to see another big Fincher fan. I do think that working with a director more than once could be a good thing for Jake. I can understand why, as a young actor, he wants to take the opportunities he has to work with as many directors as he can, but, later on, doing another film or two with Fincher could be very good for him. Of course, Fincher could drive him mad on one or two or 67 occasions but the craft he could learn. I agree with you about the big 3-0.

My word is ambollit, which sounds like one of the wives of Henry VIII :D

Hey Sheba! You win a GOLD STAR for that piece of Gyllenhaalism! Well done, you :D What a fun thing to do - now maybe they'll all come out of the closet as Gyllenhaalics and you can all Jake all day long, never mind work. That's certainly an icebreaker!

It was funny picking some quotes for this post - Jake has said some corkers!

Hi Good Girl! Take your time and read it when you can. It's supposed to be a post to make me, and hopefully others, reflect on what an amazing actor and star Jake is, but it obviously can only touch the surface and then only slightly.

Hey Winterbird! Jake and Heath said so much about each other during the BBM days but this one little comment of Heath's is so endearing and filled with affection for Jake that I thought it would do the job.

28! Makes me feel a little younger :D I'm still off unwell so I reckon it would be a good day to watch Zodiac.

Have a good day everyone and spend a little time today reflecting on your favourite Jake bits :D

Xenia said...

Beautiful post WDW, you may have been more than well inspired by the subject though...:)

Happy Birthday Jake, I wish you a long and happy life and a carreer that matches your talent.

I will be away for a couple of weeks. I hope to be pleasantly busy reading all Jake news at my return...;)

Have a good Jake's birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought that Jake should be coming home soon. Someone had said they were going to finish filming on Dec 3rd. Perhaps they needed to reshoot some scenes or maybe it took more time then they thought to finish.

It's good that he can be home for his birthday, I wonder if this means he is completely done with POP. I bet it won't be long before we'll see snippets from the movie appearing online over the next year. giving us a taste of what is to come in 2010.

I just wish Jake was with his sister and niece. I don't know how he will work things out with his parents now that they are no longer together.

thanks as always for your posts WDW

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Have a lovely Christmas break, Xenia :D Jake is definitely inspiring... See you in 2009!

Hi Sweetpea :D I bet there could be little bits and pieces to be done on PoP for some time, I suppose the hair getting the chop will be the sign that it's all over. But hopefully that's it for Jake for the holiday season. I'd love to see him spending some time with family too. Hopefully he's got long enough off to do the rounds. I would love, love to see him with Chris! It'd be great if Jake could go up to NYC to see everyone.

Anonymous said...

People say some strange things, Jake is spending it with family, Reese. They live together so they are ONE family.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,

Yay....Happy Birthday Jake!!!! Wishing you lots of joy and happiness!

Really glad to see he is home again...wish he would stop in NYC too. :)

Great, fun post, birthday post, WDW. :D

Love the Heath quote...

Have a great Friday all. We are about to have a big snow storm and again on Sunday.

The word is miumack.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Get Real! And my word is Oreal :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post and that lovely quote.

Good luck with that storm - I hear there's a whole load of snow about. Wrap up and take care *)

Anonymous said...

WDW how do you know they haven't gone to see him in LA?.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I don't, anon! Maybe they'll want to escape the snow for Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Dear WDW: what a beautiful Birthday Post! :-)

To Jake, on his 28th Birthday:

ego te per omne quod datum mortalibus
et destinatum saeculum est
claudenti donec continebor corpore
discernar orbe quolibet
nec ab orbe longe nec remotum lumine
tenebo fibris insitum
videbo corde mente conplectar pia
ubique praesentem mihi

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you Tpe and thanks for sharing your poem for Jake :D It's a good exercise for my schoolgirl Latin too! I hope you enjoy Jake's day :)

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU WDW! May we see many many more Jake Birthdays to come at your wonderful site!

And yes, it's a good exercise. :-)

Carol said...

Happy birthday Jake. Hope you have a great day.

Thanks to you WDW for brightening up my days with your posts. Looking forward to many more:)

Have a great evening everyone:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm definitely looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays here, Tpe :)

Thanks Carol! Here's to many more to come.

I think it's about time to raise a glass to Jake - Happy Birthday! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

it's kinda early in the day for me to raise a glass, but wot the hell, WDW - it's snowing heavily outside and I could use some cozy company.

I assume PoP is not done filming, but all credit to Jake for taking on this project, which has to be the most demanding he has ever done -

Here's to you, bud: health and happiness!

Zinquirilla said...

It's a fantastic blog!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Sounds like there's lots of snow about - hope you're cosy and warm now :) Quite a long haul, PoP, for Jake. He deserves a peaceful break. (And then more films please :D)

Thanks so much, Zinquirilla - and welcome!

paulh said...

Jake is probably about to enjoy his birthday cake in sunny California, while the mother of all monster snowstorms rages outside my window. I went shopping this morning, and the supermarket was crammed with people trying to stock up ahead of the storm.

I went to a noontime showing of "Slumdog Millionaire," figuring that the snow would be too heavy if I waited for a later showing. I'm glad I did. Some of the scenes in the movie reminded of the torture scenes in "Rendition," as quiz-show police try to make Jamal confess that he cheated to get the right answers. He wins out in the end, winning the 20 million rupees and reunion with his sweetheart.

I was originally scheduled to work tomorrow, but someone called to say that we would be closed all day tomorrow and Sunday.

Happy Birthday, Jake! I really want to see you in "Nailed," and am hoping that the economic troubles will work in the movie's favor, as pretty much all the filming is finished, and it would be cheaper to finish it than bankroll new movies. Studios that are hurting need some cash, and they can't get it without releasing some new movies.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul :D Posting at the same time - this storm sounds scary. I'm glad you don't have to go out in it tomorrow now. We just don't get this sort of weather here in southern England (just as well, the place would go to pieces).

I like to think of Jake having his birthday cake with its candles and putting his feet up.

I really hope you're right about Nailed. We need movies more than ever as times are hard. I still have hope for Nailed after learning that Jessica was finishing the voiceover. Here's hoping for Spring/summer 2009. It really is more than time for Jake to be back on our big screens.

Zodiac said...

I'm so late *pants*

Happy birthday once again,Jakey baby. I hope all your wishes come true and that you're spending this day with people you love. Birthdays only come once a year:)


By the way, today is Friday the 19th, and he was born on Friday in 1980:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

You're late, Zodiac! Jake's been waiting :D Fridays sound even better now :)

Uli said...

Damn, I'm late, too - the 19th is already over where I am, but since Jake is probably still in the middle of celebrating: Happy Birthday Jake!!! I hope you spend a wonderful day with friends and family today and relax some after having worked so long!!! I wish you all the best!! Much love!

Thanks for this lovely post, WDW! And special thanks for THE PHOTO! *grins* What made you do it???

Heath's quote about hyperactive Jake was sweet - and Michelle's quote about her making Jake and Heath embrace each other after the (probably) reunion kiss scene was just wonderful! That warmed my heart!

How nice to be reminded of some of Jake's great quotes like the talk about the Crest toothpaste tube with bad eyesight or the deep talk at the Rendition press conference - and the "kind of sexy" story - although here we have to thank Ang, too, huh? ;)

And how considerate of Jake to talk to us about himself taking his clothes off - I just could have done without him mentioning that there are also moments when he puts or leaves them on! ;)

Yay for Sheba - you can be proud of yourself! Did your colleagues know beforehand about your obsession or did you have to explain to them what a Gyllenhaalic is? If I did that at work my colleagues would just be like "WTF??"

I hope you feel better soon, WDW!!! Big hugs!

My word: mingsoct - what is that??
I got a new word now: didalit? Don't know what that is either...

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW and anyone who remembers me! I know I've not been around much but I didn't forget Jake's birthday! I wanted to drop by earlier today but haven't had a chance until now. So it's actually tomorrow here, but it's today where Jake is, so no one tell him I was late wishing him Happy Birthday and he need never know ;)

Love the Birthday post, WDW. I'd never seen that quote from Heath before, about the Cadbury's chocolate. I'm working my way through a bar of Dairy Milk as I type (some things never change!) and it made my lip wobble a bit:( I like to think Heath's looking over his mate from wherever he is and raising a metaphorical glass to him :)

So the lastest on Brothers is that we can expect it some time next year, then? *sigh* :(

sheba said...

Mmmmm..... Jake and chocolate... that's always a good combination. Hey TL, great to see you back. RL's a biatch sometimes ;D

Hope Jake's having a great day. I've just got a book on Heath that I'm going to start reading. I feel ready now. It's also not lost on me that Jake's the same age now as Heath was. I hope those bittersweet memories will bring him joy and remember the good times.

Hey Uli, I knew that picture was especially for you. What a good friend WDW is even though she hates it.... the things we do for love ;D

Thanks Good Girl and WDW too... yes my moment of Zen was a bit of a WTF moment but it was the best icebreaker they've ever experienced. And, no, I didn't explain who Jake was because that would have got me mad when they said 'Jake who?' But guess what, it's in their psyche now.... it's subliminal so whenever they hear the word Gyllenhaalic, they'll remember the good feeling and laughter we all shared. See, I'm doing my bit for Gyllenhaala. Soon, all will be assimilated into the collective - sorry, Red wine and a bloody good party hearty night out tonight :DDD Happy birthday my Prince xxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

TL!! Brilliant to see you - thanks for posting on this special day :D Sorry I missed you posting... Ahh chocolate - we do like our dairy milk :D Good to see you and I hope you and Jr are well :D

Hey Uli! I had to put in that pic, for you and also because it's the image of Jake from over the years that has made me chuckle or groan everytime I see it. I flippin hate it but it does make me smile! And I know you love it (for whatever odd reason) :D I just love some of the things Jake says about himself.

Hi there Sheba! It occured to me too about Jake now being 28 and how from here on Jake will be growing older than Heath ever can. I just don't know what we can ever say about that.

I love how your Gyllenhaalic declaration made so many people smile and that it gives them a good feeling. Love that! Glad you had a good night out!