Thursday 26 March 2009

More than a name - Jake shines a light on 'something that has given my life more meaning than almost anything that I do' - and Jake goes shopping

The last 24 hours have been hours to savour indeed and it hasn't ended yet. We've had truly extraordinary and beautiful photographs of Jake Gyllenhaal walking in Beverly Hills, looking for all the world like he was intentionally walking towards that camera. Then, photos from last month of Ramona playing on the swings of Central Park with Uncle Jake and, finally, another set of photographs of Ramona having lunch with Uncle and Mum at Ammo in Los Angeles, just yesterday. And now we have a video from Jake's visit last month to a school in LA for Global Green Initiative. There is a short version and a long version, but why bother with the short when you can have a full ten minutes of Jake talking about what is clearly one of the passions he has in his life?



As someone whose best friend is a chef, and a chef who has been spreading the word about farming, harvesting, and the preparation and cooking of local produce, it's no surprise to hear Jake say that 'Some of my closest friends are farmers and it's something that has given my life more meaning than almost anything that I do.' That's some statement but in keeping with the comments that Jake has made over the years about his love for cooking, for growing food on Martha's Vineyard and for using local, fresh ingredients. This is that area of his life which has almost been presented as 'The Alternative' to how Jake's life has progressed in reality, in front of the camera. So, if any actor is suited to give his name to this cause, to turn cities green, then it's Jake.


'When you see something like a vacant alleyway that could be nothing and could just serve as a depressing view out of your classroom in the middle of a boring class, you can see that it can be transformed into something like this, that gives kids hope, that teaches kids about the science of growth and just about their environment and what they can do to change it. It's really inspiring and it's inexpensive and gives back so much more than we can put into it. So it's really an incredible thing to see.'


'They talk about how they walk around and how they don't see any green in the environment in which they live and this is one of the only places they can come where there's green and there's trees and there's life. And for most of the country, I think they are surrounded by a lot of green, but in a massive city like Los Angeles, it's surprising how little green there is.'


Global Green USA President Matt Peterson: 'Having Jake out here means a lot to us because he helps shine a light on not just the challenges that we face as society - everybody is aware now of climate change - but to really connect the dots between how something like this is - this school garden - helps improve the lives of kids. And him being here today, to give his time and learn from the kids and shine the light on what they're doing is so important.'


Jake: 'I wouldn't be involved in something I didn't feel like I could... I had actual experience in. I know all these plants, I've grown them myself. I feel like I know how much they can give to other people's and I know - I see how much he [Matt] has given to these kids, and so, it's not just someone coming in to lend their name - it's someone who cares very deeply about this and I really do...'


'I want the Inuit kids to see that things are possible, that people are doing things to help them as it's hard to grow things in the Arctic Circle! But to know that there are other children somewhere else helping them, helping the life that they love so much survive, somewhere they're all connected.'


'I think that making a garden like this, thought it has its own administrative challenges, ultimately, it's incredibly easy and really inspiring and with one seed many seeds can grow. You go to www.globalgreen.org, you can find out more about how to green your school and your life.'


Such a pleasure to hear Jake's voice at length, and Jake introducing himself on the Green Bus, and saying such delights as 'Those are tasty' - they are indeed.


Jake out shopping in Beverly Hills, 26 March

Many thanks to IHJ for new pictures of Jake shopping today in Beverly Hills wearing a favourite shirt.




Includes pictures from IHJ.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like it's our lucky day, uh? Lots of Jake, including Jake's voice, Jake's wonderful hands moving nonstop, and Jake's beautiful soul.

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful!! I could listen to him talk all day and I love his enthusiasm when it comes to the Global Green Initiative. What a great 24 hours of Jake we have had - I'm still not over all the fantastic pictures yet and now we've got a new video! Let's keep it going! (I'll practice the power of positive thinking - more pictures, more videos, more, more, more)!!

:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Monica O! It's been an amazing day, amazing. It's impossible to know what to pick out, but it was so so good to hear Jake's voice in this video - it's been such a long time since we've heard Jake really talk, and here it's all about something obviously very close to his heart. The hands were extremely expressive :D I loved it too :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

BBMISwear - posting at the same time! Jake's sincerity is so plain here and it's wonderful to have words and thoughts to go with those great pictures from last month. It's been an amazing 24 hours! Keep up that positive thinking *)

Anonymous said...

This was just a great video, such a huge thing for him to speak about, and so sincerey, about how much it means to him. He's a great guy. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that video! It`s so good to hear his beautiful voice.

I have a vegetable garden and a compost pile at home. See Jake, I know I could make you happy! I love gardening too.

And I can`t decide if that red and white shirt makes me think more of a pic-nic blanket or my dish drying towels! :DD

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Friday :DD

Hi Anon :D I totally agree, this is clearly a cause Jake believes in wholeheartedly and he talks about it with great feeling and eloquence.

Morning Olympia! So good to hear Jake's voice, isn't it?! Jake's wearing your teatowel? Maybe you should ask for it back :D

Have a lovely day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that post, WDW! I will probably have to wait a few days till I can watch that video, but it was lovely to read some of what Jake said in the video!!! And you picked great pics from the video! So cute!! :D :D :D
I love all the new pics from these last days! They just prove again, that Jake is just the perfect package - being hot and adorable at the same time!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Uli! Good to see you here :D I'm so glad you liked the pics and the video will be a great treat when you get back home :) Jake really is adorable... and hot... and adorable. I love his face when he pushes Ramona on the swing, I love his earnestness when he discusses a cause he holds dear, and then I love it when he walks down the street as if he's doing a photoshoot. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

That video is excellent! Jake really sounds wonderful and so thoughtful about a really important issue. It was so fantastic to just hear him talk for a while and be so sincere about helping out.

Great new pics too. We sure have been spoiled. Great way to start the weekend. :D

My word is "joysu"! :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

We're totally spoiled, Joyous Get Real! It's been an amazing couple of days - I do hope we see more of Uncle Jake, and now caring Jake on top, and hot Jake too - it's just wonderful! And it's Friday... I hope things are good with you :D

My word is hophop ;/

Xenia said...

Thank you so much WDW and everyone keeping this Jake-obsessed girl alive! :D

It's almost scary how, after more than three years now, Jake is still capable to make me gasp ans sigh looking at that beautiful face and leastening that sweet tender voice.

Have a great week-end. Hope we will get even more lucky. :)

My word is persh...almost persian, no? :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I know, Xenia, the passing years don't make a blind bit of difference! I hope we have even more luck this weekend too. Have a good one!