Friday 1 May 2009

May Day's curiosities - 'You never know'

You know you're in for a strange day when one of the first sights of the day is a man dressed as a fried egg sandwich with a shell hat on his head. Today is May Day (or Beltane) and whereas that means Morris Dancing and maidens dancing round poles for much of Britain, in Oxford we get thousands of students, locals and tourists gathering at 6am to listen to a dawn choir chorus, followed by a quick leap into the river and a boozy breakfast. Therefore, in recognition of May Day Madness, it's time to take a look at two of the more curious Jake-related stories that have popped up this week.


Firstly, if anyone is, or is related to, the Zodiac, it's time to put your hand up because at the rate we're going there will be more documentaries dedicated to 'unravelling the truth' than there were beer glasses in the streets of Oxford this morning. Despite the efforts of Britney Spears to uncover the killer, as reported a couple of years ago, all has been quiet on the Zodiac puzzle. Until now.


This week, a woman held a press conference on the steps of the San Francisco Chronicle to announce that not only was her father the Zodiac but also he took her along, like a family outing. She also revealed that there will be a documentary about him. Shortly afterwards, a man announced that his stepfather was the real Zodiac and there will be a documentary about him too.


The famously obsessive Robert Graysmith said: '"I am a Southern gentleman, and I never contradict a woman in public... But it is the lowest, saddest point in the incredible story that was the Zodiac." On the other hand, Graysmith said he was never quick to dismiss claims from people who say the Zodiac was their dad. "You never know," he said. "This is just the kind of case that takes so many turns."'


Jake Gyllenhaal was not available to comment - being of unknown whereabouts - on the possibility of Zodiac 2.


Another story this week demonstrated what a small and curious world the movie world is. Maggie Gyllenhaal, as we know, is about to begin filming in London for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang. Not only does this film star Emma Thompson, who recently worked with Peter Sarsgaard on An Education, but its composer has just been announced and it's none other than Thomas Newman. Newman is known to many of us because he scored Jarhead (brilliantly) and, most recently, Brothers (hopefully brilliantly). This makes me see Nanny McPhee with a whole different perspective and makes me think that the children may be very badly behaved indeed.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

26 comments:

Ruby said...

Nice post. :)

We could have a 'Spartacus" scene in Zodiac 2 - 'I'm the Zodiac killer', 'I'm the Zodiac Killer'.

Glad to hear you survived another Oxford May Day. Being 'up the hill', I didn't notice anything.

get real said...

Happy May Day for those who celebrate!! :)

Maggie filming in London...cool!

Great post and previous post, as always!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy May Day everyone!

Thanks Rubes - Excellent idea! It was touch and go in Oxford today, lots of sozzled students to trip over... I'm glad you missed it. But what a beautiful May Day :)

Hi Get Real! It's good to think of Maggie filming in London. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanations about May Day, it looks like a lot of fun! My workday is almost over, thank god, and I'm taking a day off Monday. Can't wait for the week-end!

Maggie will be filming in London? Maybe you'll get lucky and bump into her too! Hey, maybe you could even see her with Peter and Ramona! :)

I'm thinking I should see An Education since I love Emma Thompson. And Peter of course. Is it out in video yet?

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! I'm glad to hear you have Monday off too. Unfortunately An Education's not out until October this year - it's had some wonderful reviews from Sundance. Be great if Peter and Ramona came over here too :D I hope you finish work soon.

Anonymous said...

maybe Jakes visiting his neice in London!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon! I like that idea :D I do wonder where he is...

Anonymous said...

Happy Beltane!

My goodness, was Jake ever handsome in Zodiac. That first pic of him is gorgeous.

Great posts lately, WDW, and Moonlight Mile is one of my favorites of Jake's. And it was so sweet that Jake donated his wing tips to Hillside, what a great cause. :)

anouska said...

Belated Beltane wishes :)

Nice to see one of your illusory sightings again, WDW, I was missing them :) :)

See you later x.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! What a gorgeous day - perfect for meeting up with friends :)

Hi there Anon and happy belated Beltane! I love that pic of Jake from Zodiac, I was looking through pictures for this post and that one just leapt out. Thanks so much for letting me know you've been enjoying the posts, that always makes my day :D

Morning Nouskie! I know, I've been keeping my eyes open but I've spotted nothing. Maybe a few cocktails today will do the trick! See you later *)

Redica...a McGillicuddy cousin from the Prague branch... said...

Well, now you've woken up properly out there in Oxford, I think you should begin a search for Jake. If Maggie and Peter and Ramona are in London, perhaps the reported marriage is getting ready to happen. Maybe they told the tabloids it was mid- May but it isn't, and maybe they said Italy, but it isn't. Or maybe it is in mid-May in Italy. Who can say? Pass me the ale!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Redica! Wide and awake in Oxford now and keeping my eyes peeled. I wouldn't put it passed Maggie and Peter to be playing a game with the dates :D But the filming in London in May is a more sure date to hang on to. So who knows?! I'm having an ale right now, love to pass one your way!

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday!

Anonymous said...

I don't think Peter & Maggie would ever talk to any tabloids.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :) I doubt they would.

Anonymous said...

I know Redica was probably just having a laugh, but really. I don't think Jake is in London, and anyway, won't Maggie be in Surrey for that film shoot?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - We have no knowledge of Jake's whereabouts and noone is saying that we do - it is just having a laugh, as we like to do here. If you want to quibble, much of Surrey is in Zone 6 of the London Transport Network!

winterbird said...

You mean I don't actually live in London?? Surrey is like the patio area of Lobson mansion.

anouska said...

Eh? :D

Yeah, London/Surrey - same difference, innit :D

Ruby said...

What about Berkshire? You can walk to Surrey from here on the Thames path. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there gals! Hey Winterbird, gotta say I'm intrigued by Lobson Mansion... you making that one up? :D

Waves to Nouskie! Takes me back to my brief Richmond phase...

Hi Rubes! I'm afraid to tell you that Berkshire's miles away - a good 25 minutes at the least :D

I hope everyone's had a good day!

Carol said...

Belated May day wishes to all:)

Have been on holiday for the past week and a half so catching up on all the recent posts. Some really good posts as always WDW. Loved the Moonlight Mile one:)

That's great news about Maggie and Peter. I'm sure they will keep us guessing as to when and where. Heard about Maggie doing the Nanny McPhee movie. I really liked the first one. I'll be looking forward to seeing her in it.

Thank you so much for the Zodiac pics WDW. I really love Jake in this movie. I think there is something really gorgeous about him in that movie.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. I'm glad to have Monday off. Helps to ease my post holiday blues a little:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you Carol! I hope you had a lovely holiday - I'm glad you've come back to a long weekend. I'm glad to hear you've been catching up on the posts.

I love these Zodiac pics too - it's been a while since we've revisited Zodiac here.

I like to think of Maggie and Peter keeping everyone guessing too :D

I've not been able to do a post today what with one thing and another, but I aim to put that right tomorrow. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend :)

paulh said...

I'm glad "Zodiac" is back in the news, because it links to the movie I just saw: "The battle for Terra," an animated film that has aamazing actors providing the voices. Brian Cox, who plays the evil General Hemmer, was in "Zodiac" asd Melvin Belli, and also in "Adaptation" with Maggie Gyllenhaal. Various roles are taken by celebrities from other science fiction and fantasy franchises: Mark (Luke Skywalker) Hamill, Laraine (Coneheads) Newman, and Chris (Fantastic Four) Evans. If I look harder, I'm sure I can find more.

paulh said...

And here are four more people from other franchises who did voices fore "Terra":
Dennis Quaid, who was in "Inner Space" and "Day after tomorrow; Amanda Peet, who was in "X-files,"
Rpn Perlman, who starred in "Hellboy," and David Cross, who was in both "Men in black" movies.

Anonymous said...

peter and maggie got married saturday may 2 in italy jake and reese were there stepahnie has pictures up on ihj

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Morning Paul! I'll be sure to look out for that one - I love Dennis Quaid in particular.

Hi Anon - I've been looking at those - what wonderful news to wake up to :)