Friday 26 June 2009

Jake on the boards - 'It's totally weird, like, taking all your clothes off and having sex with someone you barely know...'

Remember all those Farragut North readings and rumours from 2007/2008? Well, now the play is cast and ready to go - not with Jake Gyllenhaal as the lead, not even with Leo DiCaprio, but with James T Kirk Chris Pine at the helm. So while we muse on what might have been, time to think on what was.


Jake first took to the boards alongside Hayden Christensen and Anna Paquin: 'Obviously, I knew all their work and have been following them both since they were very little. I personally didn't actually know either of them, though I hung around outside their houses without either of them knowing, taking weird Polaroids of their naked body parts. Besides that, nothing really, like, weird. Nothing I haven't done before with other actors I've worked with. [All laugh]'


'I was born in 1980, so I do have clear memories of the later '80s. I knew the resonance of the Reagan era in America in my family and in the house. We weren't necessarily very happy about that time. But then again, I grew up in a relatively well-off family, so it didn't affect us as much as some other families in America. Which I think is a lot of what this play is about - rich kids who are safety-netted by all this money. And even when they're in contradiction to the politics of the time, they have no, you know, where is your political standing when you've had no real struggle? How do you develop anything when...'


'...These kids aren't impoverished financially, but they are emotionally. I think a lot of times financial poverty breeds emotional poverty, but there are plenty of times where the opposite happens. And I think the play is eventually pretty com- passionate because these kids are going through horrible, horrible things and dealing with it by creating their own reality through drugs, pop culture, a way of speaking.'


The script: 'My favourite line last week was that speech I have: 'It's totally weird, like, taking all your clothes off and having sex with someone you barely know, and then being like, "What's up now?" You know? Like it's such an intense experience, but then nobody knows what to fuckin' say, even though nothing bad actually happened'. Jake's second favourite line: 'You're a fucking loser'. More here.


This Is Our Youth Jake got back to the subject of sex when interviewed with the other two for London's Metro: ''We've a Republican president, we're on the edge of recession, the divide between rich and poor is still stratospheric,' says Gyllenhaal. 'We might not be those kids but we know people like them. We might not choose to express the depth of our insecurities with drug deals but everyone remembers what it feels like to have sex for the first time.'


I'll end with a review, this one is from the Telegraph: 'But I don't want to make the piece sound excessively solemn. It is full of delicious humour, with Lonergan nailing the excruciating rites of adolescent passage. Just the sight of Warren's awkward dancing and over-eager snogging reduced me to tears of laughter and poignant recognition of my own distant youth. Laurence Boswell directs this marvellous trio of actors with both confidence and an illuminating attention to detail. Gyllenhaal seizes all his chances as Warren, a beautiful and befuddled loser. But he also movingly suggests a lovable, vulnerable character just beginning to grow into maturity.' '


'As Dennis, Christensen edgily captures all the raging solipsism of youth, and that first appalled recognition that we may not be immortal, or indeed all that special, after all, while Paquin touchingly portrays all the locquaciously defensive insecurity of teenage romance.' Anyone who has ever smoked a joint or kissed anyone will love This Is Our Youth.'



Includes pictures from IHJ, here and Desiring Hayden.

23 comments:

winterbird said...

I have mixed feelings seeing that play happening without Jake... *sighs* especially, since I am actually going to New York this August.

But I have faith that Jake will return to the stage one day - hopefully not to far in the future - in London or in New York. We'll be there :)

btw, Anne just got raving reviews from critics of her "Twelfth Night" :) Makes me want her to be in a film with Jake more than ever!

I am watching wimbledon highlights and eating strawberries :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too, Winterbird, although interestingly now it'll be in LA and not NYC. Jake'll be on the stage again, I'm sure (hopefully here!).

That's great news about Anne! And Twelfth Night is my favourite play by Shakespeare - I'd love to have seen this one.

I'm watching the highlights too, with strawberries to come :D Love to you, Winterbird!

Anonymous said...

Great post, WDW! You found a lot of pictures that are new to me. I wish I could have seen Jake in This is our Youth, the critics seemed unanimous that he was brilliant in it. Surely there must be a tape of it somewhere.

"I was four in 1980, so I do have clear memories of the later '80s." LOL! Did he really say that? He must have an awful good memory if he remembers "the resonance of the Reagan era in America" when he was 8 or 9 (not 12 or 13, Jake!). :D I don't remember that much from when I was 8 or 9 years old.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Olympia! I'm so glad you liked it - I had fun researching this one. I wish I could have seen it too, and I was so close - damn :(

I can't believe Jake said he was four in 1980! Why did he say that?! I don't remember the 70s too well when I was small, certainly not any resonances :D I do think he's adorable!

Flower said...

We have beautiful '80. It was Yugoslavia and little bit closed society but still we have lot's of good rock and pop bands. New Wave era one of best.
Now back to Jake love this play and Hayden too i wonder if they have any contact they seem so close something like Jake with Heath.
He probably joke when he said about years he always joke.. maybe he think one day when i start dating with RW no one will complain about years :))

I am watching Wimbledon but unfortunately without strawberries. :)

Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Flower - I would have loved to have seen Jake act with Hayden :D

Gretchen said...

i'd give a lot to see Jake live. *le sigh* (actually right now even on big screen)

um i think you got that quote wrong.he says he was "born" in 1980 in the article you linked.(Anna Paquin online)
weird thing-i thought Chris Pine looked like Jake in a set of walking photos i saw at ONTD.and then couple of days later i found out he's doing Farragut North i was like oh! o.o

oh i was so in love with Hayden Christensen around that time.Episode 2-3 i mean.i dumped him for Jake.i don't regret it. :D

thanks for the interviews WDW.
p.s.my word is "bilind"

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Gretchen :D There are two versions of that interview, and one has 'four' which I quoted while linking to the 'born'! I'll change that - thanks for pointing it out :D

Here's the other version. I'll amend the post.

Hayden and Chris are lovely but there's only one Jake :D

Anna said...

I always smile when I see pics of Hayden. My sister-in-law had a huge crush on him when he was in some TV-show a couple of years before the first Star Wars movie was shot, and I'd teaser her madly because he was such a little kid (and she's a little bit older than me). Then I saw the last of the SW movies, and kind of changed my mind... :D

Then, of course, Jake came along and ruined all my attempts of appearing mature. The DOW in me took over. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anna *) Hayden makes me smile too (my mum likes him!). I couldn't stand him in the Star Wars movies, but I strangely really enjoyed Jumper. He's ageing well. But no comparison with Jake. Not even a little bit :)

Carol said...

I didn't know that Chris Pine was doing Farragut North. I like him but there is only one Jake;)

Tonight's post makes me wish that I could have seen Jake, Hayden and Anna. Hadn't seen some of those interviews and pics before. Thanks WDW.

It's great to hear Anne got rave reviews for Twelfth Night. I saw some clips of her in it on YouTube and she's really good. The Jake and Anne reunion can't come soon enough.

Have been spending the evening watching the Glastonbury coverage. Neil Young is a legend....*sighs* wish I was there:)

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Mine will be spent watching Glastonbury especially an old crush of mine Mr. Damon Albarn and Blur:)

BBMISwear said...

Wow...WDW...great, great This Is Our Youth stuff. I haven't even read it all yet - just took a glance and love what I see! Some of it is new to me (which isn't always easy to do!) so I am going to have to take my time with it over a cup of tea tomorrow morning (too tired to take it all in tonight).

I did want to mention that after watching the entire recording of the Red Sox/Nationals game from Wednesday night I found out that the local Boston network never showed Jake or even mentioned him! The clip/photo/commentators were all from the Washington, D.C. network. Bummer for me! That was a long game to watch to find...nothing. :(

Well, I'm glad we have those photos of Jake looking great at the game...tried to find video footage on line to no avail. I hope we can find it at some point. He really looked great!

More later once I catch up on all I missed these past couple of days. I'm assuming he wasn't at the game last night but do have it recorded just in case...LOL! I think I'm a bit behind on sightings so will have to catch up.

Happy Weekend everyone...I am so thankful it is here...I've missed my on line fun!

:-)

TD said...

Er..so..what actually happened in This is Our Youth? I can't even work out whether they were playing disillusioned rich kids or disillusioned poor ones? What's the plot (or point) of the play? (Its not like we're ever going to see it!)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone :D

Hi Carol! I spent last night watching Glastonbury too - wish I was there - Neil Young was great and I love the Tig Tings :D I think Springsteen is on tonight. It should be a very hot weekend down there. I used to like Blur too :)

Morning BBMISwear! You watched the whole game and no Jake? Bad Boston TV :( Thanks for the effort, though *) It'd be good to see a video to go with those pics. I hope you enjoy the post :-)

Hi TD! I've been looking around for the plot - they're rich boys... and found this: 'Set in 1982 at the dawn of the Reagan era, Kenneth Lonergan's first play depicts forty-eight hours in the lives of Dennis, Warren and Jessica - three rich and bored middle-class teenagers from New York's Upper West Side.
Caught up in the new yuppie culture (for which money, power and success are all), they have stolen $15,000 from their parents without much of an idea of what to do with it. So, without a care for the consequences, they blow it all on a reckless, hedonistic spending spree!' I think the boys both go for Jessica. I would have loved to have seen this cast. It sounds like Jake was brilliant in it!

Have a good day everyone :)

Flower said...

It sound like real good play.. i would be great movie with same cast of course ;) Thanks Wet Dark.

Flower said...

Sorry it would be... :)
Those mistakes uurggghhh :))

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Flower :D It would be great to have had a film version with these three :)

Blimey, it's HOT today!

get real said...

I do hope Jake does a play and/or musical. It is really nice to look back at how well he did in TIOY. :)

Glad you are having good weather in the UK. We are having very nice, hot, weather here, after a month of rain. I do feel like I was in the UK with the weather, lol. ;p

Also, there were more Twitter sightings of Jake in DC...supposedly at the White House (not sure as that was deleted), with Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson at a museum, back at the custard place. I am loving all this Jakeness in DC! :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Get Real! I'm glad you enjoyed the nostalgic trip - keeps me going while we wait... and wait... and wait!

Glad to hear you've got the summer there too :D Perfect strawberries and wimbledon weather - even hot and sunny at Glastonbury - a miracle :D

I'm loving these sightings too - I like the idea of Jake going round these museums and historic places, like the National Gallery, Ford's Theatre and the Newseum (I hate that name...).

I wish someone would invent British air conditioning...

get real said...

It may not be a great name, but the Newseum is one of the best museums in DC! I have never been but it continues to get raves.

You have no AC, WDW? That must be hard on days like this. Can you get a cheap wall unit? That is what I have. I am on an upper floor so it gets super hot.

BBMISwear said...

I've got Boston air conditioning WDW...but the system broke down yesterday...I'm doing things the old fashioned way this weekend: fans!

Washington DC peeps sure are lucky with all the Jake sightings. I'm not sure of the exact schedule but when shooting wraps up there they will head to Philadelphia. I wonder if Jake will follow or go home?! They built quite a large set at Drexel University in Philly so they may be there for a while. I'm thinking maybe break for the 4th of July holiday weekend and then move on. Just a guess. And to think there were 3 cities in the running for this film but one lost out to the other two (Boston of course) :( I didn't really care so much when I first heard this...but I didn't know then that Jake would be frequenting every Starbucks, farmers market, restaurant, baseball park and custard ice cream shop in the city!! Jeez. (Of course if he were here doing all that I wouldn't be spending much time at home and may have found myself looking for a new place to live...LOL)!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It certainly sounds like one to look out for, Get Real. I've only been round the Smithsonian and the National Gallery. After Jake's Zodiac experience, I bet Jake was fascinated by the Newseum :D

Most homes (or anywhere but some offices) don't have ac here so it's just fans, open windows and plenty of cold beer :D

Hey there BBMISwear :-) I hope you get that fixed soon! Philadelphia? That means another city I'll learn about :D Yeah, the baristas of Starbucks look out! It is so wonderful to have Jake in your own town, but it's a lot less stressful to enjoy it from afar, that's for sure :D

I'm so hot, I'm sleepy. Time to see what Wimbledon's offering...