Friday 24 July 2009

Comic-Con enjoys Doctor Parnassus and Gilliam remembers Heath

While we wait to hear what happened when Jordan Mechner took the Prince of Persia stage at Comic-Con today, there is time to take a breath and remember that PoP is not the only film at Comic-Con this year with which we have a connection. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is also getting a great deal of attention and today Terry Gilliam received an honorary ink pot from Comic-Con before he settled down to discuss his film along with cast member Verne Troyer.


You can read a full account of the panel discussion here. A snippet: 'Early into the audience questions, a fan asked Gilliam and Verne to share their experiences while working with Heath. Verne shared his thoughts first, explaining how although he only worked with Heath for a short time, he felt as though they were old friends. Verne continued to say it was an “honor and a privilege” to work with Heath. An emotional Gilliam added how Heath was “an exceptional actor and human being.” He ended with sharing how he thought Heath displayed a “wisdom beyond his years” and a how he had a playful and fearless approach to his work.'



The video below captures a little of the atmosphere during Gilliam's discussion of his film and of his 'lucky charm' Heath Ledger.



In an interview today, Gilliam said: 'It's hard to know what to say. You've got Heath passing and the other guys coming in, the whole thing is so extraordinary and it's never been done before and not going to probably happen again, where the main actor dies and three actors come in and take over. It's extraordinary. But it does tell you how much they cared about him.'


And what about Jake? Yesterday a twitter spotted Jake Gyllenhaal at the Jim Henson lot in LA, suggesting Jake is intriguingly busy...


Coincidentally, I watched The Dark Knight this evening - what a fine film...

11 comments:

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hey WDW! Thank you for this lovely Heath-post and for some beautiful,nostalgic photographs of happier days. It's wonderful that "Dr.Parnassus" is being so well received at Comic-con. May it be a fitting finale to the wonderful life and career that was so tragically cut short when Heath was taken from us.

RL continues to be hectic and tiring and much that occurs in Jake-world perplexes me these days. However,just because I don't often comment or have the time to tarry here as I once did,doesn't mean that I don't keep tabs on Jake here via your peerless blog.

((Hugs)) to all WDWers old and new, with love especially to TL if you're still lurking out there,matey. :-) A shout out to Rubes,Pia and Nouska too!

(((WDW))) Hugs to you too and God bless you for keeping the faith and the home fires burning ;-)

Anonymous said...

Awwww . . . I love Terry G and Verne. I am so looking forward to Dr. Parnassus. I hope it gets a US distributor soon. Still miss Heath and his extraordinary talent. TDK is outstanding, isn't it? Looking forward to hearing about Jordan Mechner at Comic-Con too! :)

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

Thanks for the interview and the video. See and read about Heath opens always a smile on my face. He always will be unforgettable for me.

Dark Night is a wonderful movie!

Jim Henson is a producer?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

(((Nadine))) How great is it to see you, my friend :D Dr P seems to win a grand reception wherever it goes and I'm so glad to see Comic-Con is no exception. A big hug to you, especially for knowing you're close *)

Hi Anon! I'm visiting family this weekend and I brought TDK with me for my mum to see - she loved it. And when I saw it I was blown away by how Heath made that role his own. Incredible. We talked about the loss of Heath but it was so good to celebrate that enormous talent :D

I'm looking forward to hearing what Jordan Mechner has to say too :)

Night Monica :D It Puts a smile on my face too! Henson was the Muppet guy, but his film lot in LA is hired out for all sorts of film-making. I wonder what in this case?

Have a good evening everyone :D

Anonymous said...

I get the feeling this will be a strange and somewhat emotional experience for Terry Gilliam and the cast to promote this film. Terry is right, this is a very unique situation.

Funny, you watched TDK today and I watched The Four Feathers yesterday. I've been thinking of Heath a lot lately and I thought it would be nice to see a movie of his that was new to me. It was OK and Heath is so young and beautiful in it but I found it hard to watch. The name of Heath's character's best friend was Jack and I kept seeing and earing Heath as a young Ennis, which is weird because he's supposed to have an english accent. Maybe my brain was trying to tell me I'm due for a BBM watching. Next time I miss Heath, I think I'll watch A Knight's tale or Brothers Grimm. Those two movies always cheer me up and there's no way I could confuse William or Jacob with Ennis :)

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I know what you mean, Olympia, I'm gearing up for a BBM watching too. I've been thinking about it for a while. And then today I saw TDK (and was blown away by it) and then I see all this about Dr P. It must be so hard for Terry and his cast to promote this film, so hard.

I've not seen Four Feathers (I never liked the story of the original) but I love Knight's Tale and it always makes me smile. I love the tent scene 'Treat him well, my lady'.

Night all *)

Monica said...

thanks, wet dark!

Disney site:
Prince of Persia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Ooh great link, thanks Monica :D

Have a great day everyone - off into the Peak Disrict today...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^ make that District :D

BBMISwear said...

Nice post WDW. All this Heath talk is making me a bit melancholy. I get so mad at myself sometimes because I want to enjoy him (and often do) but always get sad at the same time (which makes enjoying him hard sometimes). Sorry for rambling...not sure if I'm making much sense here!

Olympia and WDW have now put me in the mood to watch BBM again...something I can't do as often as I use to (note 'often get sad' comment above). But when I do I still lose myself completely in Jack and Ennis as always. *heavy sigh*

I'm very excited to hear more about Jake on that movie lot...new movie new movie new movie!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, WDW. I was on a chat with Terry G yesterday and he mentioned he hopes to announce a US distributor soon and is thinking there will be a Christmas release

Sweetpea