Tuesday 22 September 2009

House is not Jake Gyllenhaal, Maggie to host Independent Lens, and shirts on display

You know you're a hot movie star with big blue eyes, a cheeky smile and a bunch of charm to boot when you get a reference in a popular TV drama. Apparently, House is keen to clear up some confusion - he is not Jake Gyllenhaal. Had me fooled for a bit...


If you live in the US you can also see (and vote for) Jake's cameo in the SNL Iran So Far tribute at the Huffington Post. Thanks not very much at all for protecting the rest of us from seeing it.

While we wait for everyone in Pittsburgh to be issued with a camera to capture those golden Jake Gyllenhaal filming moments, not to mention the first shot of Jake and Anne Hathaway together, it's time to catch up with Maggie who has been grabbing all the headlines today. In addition to pictures of Maggie walking a very grown up Ramona around NYC, there is news that Maggie is to host the new PBS series Independent Lens, which will debut on October 13.


The series will showcase a broad range of independent movies, which suits Maggie down to the ground. 'I'm a passionate believer in the power of independent film. 'Independent Lens' filmmakers ignore the rules of commercial programming and spend years pursuing diverse stories about people not normally seen on TV. I am truly honored to present their work as the new host of 'Independent Lens,' she said.



Maggie has also been talking some more about what it's been like for herself and Peter to work in England, revealing that during the last year, both she and Peter (and Jake for that matter!) have been getting to grips with the English accent. One can imagine the conversations and the practice sessions... '“I’ve loved being in England,” she says, “I shot The Dark Knight here about two years ago, and then last year Peter shot An Education [which opens at the end of October], so we’ve been here once a year, for a substantial period of time, for the past two years.”


“It’s funny because in the movie I have an English accent and sometimes I keep it going,” says Gyllenhaal. “Peter and I were saying that we are going home and we are going to say little English things and our friends are going to think we are super pretentious!” I would love to hear those 'little English things' (flashbacks of bat/paddlegate...).

And while we're talking about Britain, a well known British film magazine, Empire, is giving us a chance to decide on our sexiest film star. A difficult choice, I realise. Let me jog your memory...


The Brokeback shirts

It's wonderful to have a video of the Brokeback shirts going on display at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles and it's moving indeed to hear the warmth and love of their reception.



Meanwhile that lively little gal Anna Faris has recently briefly mentioned her experience of working in Brokeback Mountain: 'Q: I wanted to ask about a couple of directors you’ve worked with, first, Ang Lee with Brokeback Mountain. What was it like to be a part of that masterpiece? Anna Faris: That was amazing. That was also terrifying (laughs). I auditioned for the Anne Hathaway role.'


'Q: No kidding… Anna Faris: Yeah, and then they offered me the other role. I’d do anything to work with Ang Lee. I flew up to Calgary and the first shot, we started with me. I’m with Jake Gyllenhaal and Ang started with my coverage. We just have done the line about 15 times. I thought, “I’m doing this all wrong. Oh my God I’m ruining the movie.” (Laughs) Jake just told me that is how Ang does it. It was really a special film to be a part of.'


Includes pictures from links, Disney and IHJ. Thanks to Monica for the heads up on House.

13 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Wonder how Jake's getting along with the filming...

BBMISwear said...

Good Question! Is it me or does it seem when anyone else is in a fairly metropolitan area filming there are tons of pictures on the internet but when Jake is there is close to nothing?! Maybe it's him? Maybe the reports from the Rendition set re: No Cameras/Camera Phones wasn't because of who they said it was...maybe it was Jake?! I hate to think that but look at the history of his film sets over the years. Hmmmm. *whines*

Great update on Maggie...LOL at your flashback to bat/paddlegate. How about match/game? Ha Ha!

Ramona is beautiful...Maggie does a great job of keeping her out of the paparazzi craziness but I have missed seeing her and am happy to get a quick glimpse.

I saw the video of the shirts this weekend (right before watching Brokeback) and it got me good. I plan to go there someday. And great commentary from Anna Farris...I love little tid bits like this that are so hard to come by.

Hope you're having a great day...back to work for me...but would surely love to see some "Jake in Pittsburgh Pictures" when I come back here!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, lots of good stuff in this post - I love the quit reference in House. :) Looking forward to seeing Maggie hosting Independent Lens - what a great choice. And never enough Brokeback, ever. :)

Bertie

paulh said...

Anna Farris is in "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs," which is in the theaters right now.

Jake and Maggie have some very distinguished English ancestors (they are 12th cousins of Princess Diana), so it makes sense that they would love the U.K. and want to speak with British accents.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Good to see you. I'm badly commenting on Rubes' iPhone. Back soon :) It's a match!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Back home and catching up :D

Hey BBMISwear! I know, we hear reports if pics being taken, so where are they? I actually don't think they've been filming in public for a couple of days. There were reports on Friday but it was also said they were only there for the day. So hopefully they'll be back again in public soon.

Ramona is some young lady now and it's great to see her. Maggie and Peter are doing a great job. Quick glimpses are good for me too.

I'll try and oblige with the pics! :-)

Hi Bertie! Never enough Brokeback, that's for sure. I'm trying to find the right night to watch Brokeback this week. I think it's going to be tomorrow.

Hey Paul! I'm not so certain that's good heritage for speaking with an English accent but I like the heritage :D

I hope everybody's having a good evening!

paulh said...

Maybe it's a good heritage for majoring in English in college, as Maggie did. ;-) Or maybe she majored in English with the thought that that would prepare her for writing screenplays and maybe memoirs. Whatever....

That's a terrific interview that she did for "Working Mother." I'm glad to have the link to the online version, because my library doesn't get the print version any more. :-(

Anonymous said...

Thanks, WDW, for these wonderful videos. I don't watch House so I only heard about the Jake G reference. I wonder if anyone told Jake :D

Thanks for the video from the Autry museum, the shirts certainly DO belong there.

And for that wonderful pic of Maggie and Ramona. It's the first time I've seen mommy and daughter out for a stroll like this

Sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Paul :D I'm glad you enjoyed the Maggie interviews. She's certainly getting much more high profile now.

Hey Sweetpea! I bet Jake would have a laugh about that - you can bet someone told him :D Ramona is getting very grown up :)

Have a great day everyone! Is it Friday yet...?

Monica said...

I found this picture of POP:
Dastan and Tamina

The image was published in a magazine, but here is bigger and better!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Monica! It's a great pic - I loved it in Empire - the snood pic... I have this version and it's saved for a new post :)

I hope everyone's having a good day! Busy, busy...

get real said...

So much good stuff! :)

The House mention made me LOL.

Glad to hear how busy Jake is and all the exciting news on PoP and I hope to see some pics of him and Anne!

Also love BBM news and am excited for Maggie's show to come on in October. Can't wait to hear her, Peter and Jake's English accents.

Thanks for all the links, pics, videos and info! Been busy with the Jewish holidays here. Shana Tova to all those who observe.

Hope everyone is having a great day. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy holidays, Get Real!

I had such a laugh too at the House mention! Love to hear this kind of thing. And I'm counting the hours until we get some pictures of Jake and Anne. I can hardly believe they're in the same film together :D