Friday 23 October 2009

A video preview of Prince of Persia - 'Gyllenhaal certainly looks the part'

IGN has published a video preview of Prince of Persia and, despite my sense that they were surprised that Donnie Darko would make a believable rogue prince, they are impressed. 'Gyllenhaal certainly looks the part of a kick-ass, free-running death-dealer'. IGN has also seen footage. They like it.


'From the looks of things, Bruckheimer, Newell, Gyllenhaal and Arterton are doing a fair amount of justice to the spirit of the franchise. The footage we've seen features just the right amount of adventure, magical time-freezing, demonic creatures and epic set pieces to convince us that the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be one of the action blockbusters to look forward too next summer.' The video preview is here and you can also see it on the IGN site.


The truly stunning new old pictures on IHJ today are a welcome reminder of what we have to look forward to next summer when Prince of Persia comes out and Jake Gyllenhaal shines on red carpets and takes centre stage on our cinema screens and our magazine pages. These pictures, taken in Madrid at a Jarhead photocall, are simply gorgeous. And it's always a good thing to see Jake and Peter Sarsgaard together.


Peter continues to impress critics and audiences for his portral of David in An Education. You can read an interview with Peter here, in which Peter intriguingly says that there are some films he's made that he's never had any interest in seeing. 'I haven't even seen all my movies that I've done. There are movies I've done for financial reasons that I know I'm not going to like. I could tell you before I start the movie that there's a good chance I'm not going to watch the final version. That doesn't mean I don't take my work seriously, I work on it, but I don't consider part of my work watching the movie. That's just to gloat and feel good. If I'm going to watch a movie a couple times, I have to totally dig my work in it. Why would I watch a movie, even if I thought my work was decent in it, if I didn't think I was going to enjoy it? I just skip them.'


I would like to think that Jake has more fortune, freedom and choice with the roles he is offered.


I was also rather taken with this Peter anecdote which appeared on the net this week: 'I was at Bard College. It was around eight o'clock at night and Valentine's Day was the next day. I drove all the way down to the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill through the night and arrived in the morning. I showed up on this girl's front step and I had written a short story to read to her, which was slightly ripped off from another writer. A guy who played for UNC Chapel Hill was there with her; he was a very large gentleman and that was her new boyfriend. I took off and went to a Tears For Fears concert and wept all the way through it.'


Tears For Fears can do that to you. More here.


As for Jake, there are suggestions that he and Anne Hathaway will be filming together next week - in a church.


Many thanks to IHJ for the wonderful pictures!

16 comments:

winterbird said...

wow, if the gaming community approves it, that's super good news :)

Peter is wonderful in An Education, he just has the right amount of likability to make that character charming but human, even when he does bad things, you'd still take pity on him.

Mmm... Jake looked pretty thoughtful in those new old pics, didn't he?

Anonymous said...

These Madrid pics have always been some of my favorites. I wish we'd get to see a little bit of Jake in PoP. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird! Some of the gaming sites have been quite vocal about not liking this movie - which is a real shame because they're not giving it a chance and they're not seeing that it's an entirely different medium. But this is very positive! From people who have seen more of it.

I wish I could have seen all of An Education with you on Tuesday - I loved what I saw and I'm desperate to see more. I'm hoping I might be able to get into an Oxford preview on Sunday.

Jake looks wonderful in these pictures - melts the heart :)

Hi there Anon! I can see why, they're amazing. I really hope we see some of these clips soon and I think we will :D

BBMISwear said...

You said it so perfectly right here WDW I don't think I can elaborate further: "These pictures, taken in Madrid at a Jarhead photocall, are simply gorgeous. And it's always a good thing to see Jake and Peter Sarsgaard together." Yep. You Bet. Ditto!! I've been enjoying all the new/old pics on IHJ (Thank you so much Stephanie!!!) but these are my favorite new/olds of the week I think.

I have also read a lot of negative comments about PoP...but mostly from gamers...who, IMHO, would never be satisfied no matter who made it, who was cast and where it was filmed. So I don't listen to them. They can all just go play the game until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned. I've got the Prince I want in the film and May 28th can't come soon enough!!

Great Peter stuff here...and maybe someone will sneak a pic of Jake and Anne next week??? *please Pittsburgh church going people...please*

Happy Weekend...thanks for the great post WDW!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

UGH This post is so misleading!! I thought it's the actual movie preview not some guy's review of the movie!!
UGH WDW! I felt so lied too!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - weekend at last :)

That was not the intention Dailing simply the name of the video

Hi BBMISwear! Hope things are good with you :-) These are my faves of the week too - I'm very grateful to Steph!

You're right about the gamers. I love the game franchise too but thw movie is an entirely different beast.

Yes! Church pics!

Have a good day :D

Anonymous said...

Doubt if there has ever been a "game" movie made or comic movie made that a group of "fan boys" or whoever have not said it was a terrible mistake to cast this person or make that movie, etc. As in - "You mean Robert Downey, Jr. is going to be Ironman - how terrible "- You will also notice that most of the time they are proven wrong, but then they just go back to doing the same thing when the next cast is annouced.
So actually Jake is in good company and this is one of those things to not be taken personally.
Also there are more people who will be going to see POP who have never played the game. They're going to be entertained.

BBMISwear said...

This is so true from Anom 15:14: "So actually Jake is in good company and this is one of those things to not be taken personally.
Also there are more people who will be going to see POP who have never played the game. They're going to be entertained." I agree that the game franchise and the movie are two different things and should be thought of separately. But if I were to put myself in the 'unhappy gamers' shoes I guess maybe I would be freaked out if, say, someone took one of my favorite 'things' of all time - Brokeback Mountain - and decided to make it into a game and use characters that didn't look 'enough' like Jack and Ennis, didn't have them do the things Jack and Ennis did, changed Alma's name, etc. I would be like WTF is the point of this?! Luckily we will never have to go through this (I don't think)!! I am not a gamer at all (but have a 13 year old who is!) so I'm just trying to relate. I will probably become a gamer, however, if post-May 2010 a NEW version of the video game comes out and the Prince looks like you know who!!

Happy Weekend! :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon! You make a very good point about Robert Downey Jr - I'm no fan of superhero movies but I was so intrigued by the idea of RDJ as Iron Man I had to see it - and I can't wait for the sequel. I like that producers/directors are picking what some people might call unusual choices. It's a bit like John Cusack in 2012.

Hey BBMISwear! I was a bit surprised that some gamers have been so vocal against Jake in the role but I think that's partly because they have no idea of what he's done and no awareness of his breadth. Oh yes! We'll all be playing that game - possibly not too well!

I hope everyone's having a good Saturday - the sun's come out and I'm being very lazy :)

Monica said...

I found this:
I actually saw this movie two weeks ago in a test screening and it was actually surprisingly well done.
comic book

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! That's good to see - especially after that site's post - and it matches with Jordan Mechner's statement that he enjoyed the film too.

paulh said...

This weekend I saw "Astro Boy" and "A Serious Man."

"Astro Boy" has no Jake links. The closest it comes is with Samuel L. Jackson, who was in "Losing Isaiah," which was done by Jake's parents. "A serious Man" seems to lack Jake links as well. Sterling Beaumon also comes close; he was in "Four Christmases" with Reese Witherspoon.

There are no Jake links in "A Serious Man."

TD said...

Hi WDW, gorgeous pics! I've never seen those before. Jake looks sad. Whilst I have to admit I'm skipping almost all behind the scenes info on any of Jake's films at the moment (I always find I enjoy the finished article more then) I did screw up my courage and watch the IGN preview (thanks) and it all looks very good.
OT: Did you hear, snoods are officially in this year? ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! A beautiful autumnal day :)

Hi there Paul! Glad to get a movie update. I'm a bit stuck for films to see around here this weekend so I may resort to Couples Retreat - if only because it has palm trees and sandy beaches.

Hi TD! They really are gorgeous pics - such a beautiful face.

Snoods back? Noooooooo!!!!! I used to have such a lovely purple snood...

Have a lovely Sunday :D

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Crispin's Day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon! Same to you :) I have Henry V running through my head now - not a bad thing at all :)