Monday 30 November 2009

Jake Gyllenhaal's great performance - and those 'blasted' ostriches

There's a brief respite while we wait for Moviefone to post their 'Put your questions to' the cast of Brothers video. I'm going to fill it. First off, we have an interview with a very relaxed and laid back Jim Sheridan, who talks about his young cast, including the 'charismatic' Jake Gyllenhaal, who normally plays such 'sweet, kind and lovable characters'. You can watch it here, courtesy of Coming Soon. It's very good. There is also an interview with Jim here.



Good reviews continue to come in. We have the Playlist: 'However, Jake Gyllenhaal arguably has the toughest role of the bunch having to believably shift from a good-for-nothing ex-con to a reliable family man. But not only does Gyllenhaal do it, but he knocks it out of the park. In the early stages of the film, his charming asshole routine is largely lived through his dancing eyes and a perma-smirk etched onto his stubbled face. But when Sam is declared dead, the eyes and smirk are still there but become softer and his attitude, though still somewhat immature, is slowly shaded by the weight of responsibility. It's a great performance.'


The NYMag: 'As to the other two leads, Sheridan has gotten the best performances of their young lives. As much as I like Gyllenhaal, I’ve often found him fuzzy, as if he’s wary of losing control. Is that why he’s so affecting here? The dissolute Tommy turns out to be as tightly wound as his older brother, only too scared to focus. He looks pitifully vulnerable as he the supposedly dead Sam’s family and becomes protective. Portman has the kind of role that turns actresses into dullards: the wife who stands and looks stricken at her man (or men) in paroxysms of rage and grief. But she’s so grounded that as the others carry on, your eyes keep drifting to her. Yes, she’s almost unbearably pretty, but it’s her immediacy that keeps you glued to her face.'


On to that handsome hunk of a Prince of Persia. Ubisoft announced today that a new Prince of Persia game - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - will be out next year and, believe it or not, its release will be in May. I know, that didn't come as a huge shock to me either. 'Although Ubisoft did not specify how or whether the new title would tie into the movie launch, the company has strongly pursued a cross-media film and game strategy with other franchises. "The goal is to reach both...core and casual gamers," explained CEO Yves Guillemot on the company's first-half results call to investors. He promised "lots of combat," but stressed the aim of serving beginner-level gamers as well. "We are trying to cover both groups," he said.' Just the thought of the degree to which this game will pull in parts of the film - and Jake - is enought to make me dust off my console. Source.


While taking a look at Gamasutra, do read this other article from them about the sexual politics of the Prince of Persia character. It's a fascinating look at those pointless accusations which have faced both the cinematic and the game Prince - the Britishness, the not very Persianness, the muscles, his geekiness. Our delight in him.


The creator of the Prince of Persia franchise, Jordan Mechner, is releasing on his blog his old journals, charting the development of the PoP universe from the very beginning. He is also publishing sketchbook pictures from his visit to a very hot Morocco in the summer of 2008. We can see a drawing of a hand holding the Dagger of Time - and that is indeed Jake's hand. Jake accomodatingly agreed to be a hand model.



There is also more evidence for the fear that ostriches struck deep into the hearts and minds of all who dared to set foot on set. 'The star of the movie is an ostrich. The entire cast and crew are walking on eggshells for fear of disturbing its delicate temperament. Mike [Newell] refers to it affectionately as 'The blasted bird'.


Includes pictures from links and an ostrich (all right, an emu, but the photographs of ostriches scared me).

PostScript: I have decided that as Brothers won't come to me, I must go to it. Therefore, in a repeat of last year but hopefully with more cinematic success (ie, they're not going to delay the movie yet again), I'm going to force myself to endure some Florida sunshine in order to see Brothers. I may also have the odd margarita and - I don't want to go too far but - I might even risk Space Mountain. I leave Saturday - I'm counting on Brothers proving to be a formidable anti-jetlag device. I will of course be taking you with me - which is vital because this year I'm taking a chance on Universal Studios. We're talking Roller Coasters.

35 comments:

Monica said...

Currently I'm busy, but then I read all this information.
I am so proud to see Jake get so many compliments on his work. He deserves it.
He's a talented guy and a good man.

BBMISwear said...

Yay for the Ostrich picture! Yay for the great Brothers reviews! Yay for the great Jake reviews! Yay for the great Jim Sheridan interviews! But the biggest Yay is for WDW GOING TO FLORIDA (and not having to wait until January 22nd to see Brothers)!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

I am somewhat on the run tonight but have been flagging links like crazy these last few days knowing there are great reviews, articles, interviews etc. out there waiting for me when I finally can sit down and enjoy them. Thank you for keeping us up to date right here...busy times!!

P.S. You Bet you will be taking us with you to Florida! I want regular updates so make sure you take time in between roller coasters and margaritas for that, okay?! :-)

Carol said...

I like your style WDW. If Brothers won't come to you - you will go to it:) I have a similar philosophy myself.

Anonymous said...

I second everything BBMIswear said in her first paragraph and I'll add a "Yay for Dastan's chest and arm picture!".

I love the Playlist's description of Tommy as a charming asshole. That's a part of the movie I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy. :)

I wonder why it's taking so long for Moviefone to put up the interview. I'll have to go home soon and I won't be able to see it on my computer cause my internet connection is too slow.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! We should be proud - Jake's getting amazing reviews. Most critics like the film and even those who don't still have nothing but good to say of Jake. This is a good film for him :)

Hey BBMISwear :-) You like my ostrich! I'm a big ostrich fan and they could be a key reason why I'm going to see PoP (perhaps...) :D I can't help it. I have this habit of saving up holiday for Jake releases and then heading off to see them. I went to LA for Zodiac and Toronto for Rendition so I can go to Florida for Brothers - again. It didn't quite work out last year.

There is so much to read! I'm having a struggle keeping on top of the reviews - they're all so good!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! I love how we think!!! I hope you have a great time on the other side of the pond too! I hope you can get online so we can hear what you're up to over there :D

Hey Olympia! I love that pic! I had to get it in as a reason for why everyone should lust over that prince :D Wouldn't it be great if Jake features in the game?

Moviefone are taking too long - I'm gonna be in bed!

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW,

Thanks as always for the informative post. I do have something to clear up. That pic is not of an ostrich. It is an emu, a flightless bird native to Australia

Here are some pics of Ostriches

http://myfavoritedisease.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ostrich-07761.jpg

http://www.euratco.be/images/ostrich_06.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Ostrich_-_melbourne_zoo.jpg

sweetpea

get real said...

Great stuff, WDW!

I am so glad to read Jake get such good reviews. I don't, however, agree that Jake's performances have been "fuzzy". Has he not seen Jarhead, BBM, Rendition?!?!

Anyway, I am trying not to get frustrated by all the other BS "news" that is being put out there about Jake's personal life. That is all I will say about that. I just hope it does not distract from the movie.

Bring on Brother's!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea - I just thought it was cute, the way it was looking up at me with those big brown eyes....

get real said...

Oh, and that is so cool that you will be in Fla. and get to see Brothers. Have some fun in the sun! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Get Real! Posting at the same time :) Totally agree! What on earth is fuzzy about Jake's other performances? Nothing! Yes, bring on Brothers - I couldn't agree more.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I will, thanks! I thought I'd combine Jake with sun :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, WDW - enjoy Florida! I plan to be seeing Brothers this weekend. Can't wait to read your impressions of it.

Uhhh, that Dastan pic is a distraction. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anon! I hope you enjoy the ... distraction :D

Anonymous said...

^^He's delish. ;)

Also, the "blasted bird" comment by Mike Newell made me laugh.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It made me laugh too! I can just imagine him saying it :D

Anonymous said...

^^Hee! Me too.

Between that Dastan pic, and articles about sexual politics in "Gamasutra", it is distracting! Oh well, off to read the article. ;)

BBMISwear said...

Ooops...I forgot to mention Yay for the picture of Dastan (thank you Olympia)! BTW - I agree with so much that Olympia says (wasn't around to say that last night or this morning) :-)

As of 8:45PM EST no moviefone video yet...what is taking so long?!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for all of the great reviews Jake has been getting. Movie going friends of mine at work have seen previews and they are anxious to see the film. I hope my excitement has had a little to do with it.

I will say, WDW, if I had lived and breathed Brothers practically everyday like you have in your quest to uncover every little tidbit, I would have found it unbearable to have to wait until practically the end of January to see it. I can hardly wait until Friday, myself! So you deserve to see it as soon as it's available to the public. Have a good trip.

Dani

shoe89 said...

so i have given up on moviefone...they aren't going to have the interview up!!!! i know it

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! First frost of the season but good to see some sun :)

Morning BBMISwear :-) I'm never gonna tire of posting pics of Dastan! Sigh...

Hi Dani! Unfortunately, no buildup for Brothers here, yet, so I doubt too many people know it's coming but I'm gonna try and get people in theatres - I know I've already made some non-Jake friends fall for the Prince.

I couldn't wait, but you know me, I don't need an excuse to visit the States. I'm so looking forward to seeing Brothers. On Saturday I'll be off the plane and into the theatre!

Hi Shoe! I'm not at all impressed with movifone - they said Monday but was it up? NO! Why are we always kept waiting?!

Deep breaths... Have a good day everyone!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Jake's career is taking off and he has projects scheduled! He's respected by his peers, he has a gift for friendships, he tries always to stay positive and is generally a loved and valued person. I think we are all lucky to have him in our lives in whatever way it is manifested.

Anonymous said...

I know we're finished with it, but I wanted to say only one thing. Instead of traipsing to London for some perfume promo, which could have been sheduled anytime, someone is owns a huge apology for overshadowing Jake's movie premiere! In fact, to show support and be gracious, it would be nice if they'd stayed pput and lie low or even be at the premiere for him. He is a gentleman. We haven't seen a hair of him for days now! Jake is sweet, and I feel he gets misused somettimes!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 13:17 :D I ado agree - these are exciting times!

Hi 16:05 :) Thanks for your comment. I think it's time to move on though and focus on Brothers :)

My word is fritters - hate fritters...

Carol said...

Any sign of that Moviefone interview yet. Talk about keeping us waiting:(

Anonymous said...

IT'S UP!!!!

Anonymous said...

Finally!!

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

On the bus on the way homee after a greay night with Mr and Mrs Ruby. Thankd BBMISwear for the emails. Can't wait to get home!On my way :D waves to Carol and Olympia!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sorry about the spelling! No good on a blackberry - but almost home! Wanna see it!

BBMISwear said...

LOL at me emailing WDW with as many details as I could about the moviefone interview as she rode on a bus!! It is FANTASTIC...I'm sure we'll get a new post soon...Jake is adorable and hysterical in this interview!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

She isn't going to the UK to shill perfume, she is addressing the house of commons on behalf of ending domestic violence against women, one Avon's charities. I'm sure her perfume will come up but that isn't the main reson she will be there. It was scheduled way ahead of time.

It's Jake's and his people's responsibility to get him out there to promote this film, he has been MIA, with one interview so far and a ? if there will even be an LA premiere or if he even plans on attending.

Filming wrapped on LAOD, he has no excuse. He did these interviews during a press junket last week, I guess they figured that was enough.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anonymous person, Reese is visiting Britain as an ambassador of the beauty business Avon (for which she has made - and is selling - a perfume), to advise the Houses of Parliament tomorrow about how the UK should deal with battered woman. I'm not going to say how patronising that sounds because I think it's bleeding obvious. Oh yes, she will also appear on the Jonathon Ross Show.

For your information, another interview by Jake with the rest of the cast is in the new post. There may be a LA premiere this week, but we don't know yet if Jake will attend. Your tone is hostile for someone posting on a Jake fansite.

Hi BBMISwear!

Anonymous said...

I already saw the new "interview". What About appearing on the Today show or doing an interview with the NY Times. His people fucked up big time, who caeres about these silly interviews that most people won't even see?

Patronizing? She was invited to appear , what have you done to support the cause?

Your not fooling anyone by the way.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anonymous person, again, your tone is hostile and intimidating for someone posting on a fansite.

Anonymous said...

Would think Reese has a contract with Avon and this appearance was planned months ago. I think unless there was a grave emergency Avon would hold her to her contract.
Jake did a lot of appearances for Zodiac because he was the "star" of the movie as was Jarhead. He did kind of double duty with that and Brokeback as they opened close together.
He isn't the "star" of Brothers (of course, he is with us) and the main talk would go to Tobey.
It also took a while to finally get a final release date for Brothers.
There will be no problem with POP as he is the star and there will be magazine covers and interviews and he'll be all over the place.