Saturday 29 May 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal: 'I'm a loud dude!' He also speaks a lot - so lots more videos and interviews!

While everyone's off in the theatres getting their first good look at the Prince of Persia (today was my fifth look and I've just about taken my eyes off Dastan enough to notice PoP's set in the desert), I thought I'd grab the opportunity to catch up a little bit. This also seems a good time to thank everyone for all the scans, pictures, videos and links that I've received over the last few weeks - thank you! - I realise I've not included everything yet, but I will. If you've not checked out Ted, Lisa and Jake's Amazing Adventure in the last post, please do! Without more ado, because Jake Gyllenhaal's been extremely busy of late, let's get on with the post. And what better way to start than with this...?



Jake was interviewed by Cinematical at WonderCon and the interview has just been released. It is fascinating. Just listen here to Jake divulging that being an actor takes work and hours of training and practice: 'I was at Sundance Writer's Lab many years ago, and I was just an actor there so you would go in and they would have first-time filmmakers who have their script and they would have mentors who would come in – like my year, Katherine Bigelow was there and Ed Harris was there and they have like an acting guru, and Delroy Lindo was the acting guru. You would go and act these scenes out for these first-time directors and they would film them and they would get advice from their mentors. Delroy Lindo sat us down because a lot of the actors were saying, wow, they were like 'put your hand here' and 'do this' and we were like, jeez, they've never directed anything before and they're telling us [what to do].'



'He said it's interesting with first-time filmmakers because if they've written it they'll say 'I've been sitting with this forever by myself; it's been 2D for this long' – and please don't read into the 2D, 3D thing I'm about to say – 'but then it gets up on its feet and it's living and breathing and coming out of someone else's mouth not the way you expected it to'. You always expected it this way and now it's this way, and it's hard not to feel because you have a sense of ownership to let something be created on its own because you've lived with it for so long.'



'So it's interesting because I've translated that now interacting with the gaming world and seeing how everybody has an intimate interaction with this character and this game and what it means to them, and now that it's basically become Jerry Bruckheimer's and he said 'now I'm going to try and put my idea of what a great, entertaining movie is' on it, people are going, 'wait a second!' So I understand that response, but I have always thought, I want to make those people happy. I want them to be psyched for this movie, so the bar has always been high, which is why when I was on set I would have the game on all of the time and I would come in the trailer and I would play a little bit. If there was a cool move, I would bring in the stunt guys and go, 'can we try this?' Because I would always think, we had a great story, but we've got to satisfy the way people see us, and there are many moves in the movie that came out of me playing the game and bringing the stunt guys in. So there was always that pressure.'

[Jake Gyllenhaal is interviewed in this 'odd' video below - eventually! Move those sands of time forward to around the 2:36 mark... and then there is a kind of French, kind of...]



'...When we were designing the wardrobe for the character, it was down to the last hour of shooting essentially, and I was like, 'I don't know if this buckle seems real,' and all of a sudden they would take to coat off and go running and they would have to run it up to there and back to this person and they would muck it up or take it off. You didn't realize what one little choice [impacted] – it had to be approved by this person and this person and 'was it like the video game?' 'No, it's not, but that's okay.' So that was definitely different for me, and to stay creative in an environment where there are so many people to appease.'



'But I really feel ultimately like my preparation was much different. I kind of tend to always start on a physical level; I always ask myself in what form would this character take shape, and how would he be successful in the world that he's inhabiting in a physical way. Like on Jarhead I did that, and on Brokeback our characters were smoking and we were riding horses and I just deteriorated, but on this I went, if he does parkour, because Gary said to me from the beginning he's going to do parkour, I'm going to have to learn how to do it, and then my body and my physicality just changed to do that. But it wasn't different.'



'Ben Kingsley is dramatically trained, traditionally trained, and a lot of British actors are, and as soon as I did the accent, it really did change everything. Because I recognized with a British accent that things become more ornate and humor becomes a different thing, so you don't have to do as much, and your voice translates so much more. I mean, look at me gesticulating right now; I wouldn't do that with a British accent, because you have to have the confidence of your voice. So I kept in my mind at all times that I was acting as if I was telling a child a story, which was so helpful for me. And then I would watch Ben, because there were moments at the beginning of this movie where I would walk around going, what movie am I in? What am I wearing and what is everybody else wearing?'



'But it became so fun and it became very theatrical, and actually I enjoy – it's funny when people say to me 'you're a very naturalistic actor' because I'm like, God, man, I'm loud! Ask anybody who hangs out with me, I'm a loud dude! So it played to that side...' Much more here.

This ABC interview is hysterical! I never thought flipcharts would sound funny... Thanks to a reader for the heads up. If the embedded video doesn't work, you can see it here, but I think I've fixed it...







This video, which I can't embed so just click here, takes us back to Jake filming at Pinewood - I do enjoy seeing Jake interviewed in full costume, now that I know the film. Now it's the American accent that sounds unfamiliar!


Director Mike Newell has been filling us in on some of the finer points of filming an epic in the desert with a huge number of hot and thirsty and sandy cast and crew. At last, along with lots of details about weather scouts, sandstorms and those 14 pesky ostriches, we hear more about Snake Dude.

At the beginning of the glorious PoP mayhem we had GQ - remember the excitement of Jake being seen at the centre of a large and growing crowd in Times Square? Here's a video that sets the scene.

Paparazzi-Jake Gyllenhaal in Times Square from photoframd on Vimeo.



Great review of PoP in Time Magazine today!

Scans by WDW, many thanks to BBMISwear for Elle and People€!

20 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Do read and enjoy this from Time Magazine on PoP.

Hope you're all having a good weekend :D

paulh said...

In about three minutes I'm going to go out the door to see "Prince of Persia." The early box office returns are in, and "Sex and the City" is in first place, with "Prince of Persia" close behind. (I saw SATC on Thursday)

The critics are sometimes down on Jake because he isn't Johnny Depp (which could be rectified by bringing Johnny in as an additional character in the sequels), and they have low expectations because a video game adaptation isn't supposed to be any good, though PoP ranks as second-best among all the adaptations. Esepcially if it's in 3D. Can we write to Johnny Depp and ask him to lobby for inclusion in the next sequel? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Johnny made Jack Sparrow an odd, but loveable, character. (He also is in his 40's and has been known to the public for a little over 25 years..)
To make POP seem really different would be to make Dastan kind of "out there" as a character and i don't think that would of worked.
The characters aren't the same type so there should be no comparison. If POTC had not been mentioned so much in the early comments about POP maybe we wouldn't have people trying to compare.
It's Disney and it's JB. I think there might be some critics who thought it might be like Pirates or who also don't like anything Disney does or JB thus there would be an already negative feeling about going to see the movie.
Seems like audiences are enjoying it and it will have good word of mouth. Lots people going could care less about critics or where it is in the top 5 for the week.
I think the movies fine with just Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Enjoye PoP! OMG you're a braver soul than me, putting yourself through SATC. I think I prefer to keep Johnny Depp in Johnny Depp movies and leave Jake to star in his. Johnny has a lot of years head start on Jake but give it a while :) I think the expectations being put on PoP are a little unfair for a summer romp but theatregoers seem to be loving it!! And Jake :D It may never be the same again.

Lisa/BBMISwear says hello from her weekend away where the internet is broken! Fortunately, she does have a cinema nearby :D But she hopes you enjoyed her adventure and wishes she could comment.

I hope noone else is sharing my misfortunate at having to watch the Eurovision song contest. Ewwww!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 20:57 :D Posting at the same time... I totally agree about Johnny Depp - I love him but Jake doesn't need anyone else in his movies in order to shine :) I think Jake's done a fab job and, as I said, audiences are loving PoP! I want No 2!

It's difficult to know which songs on this Eurovision thing are worse than the others, they're all that bad - shame on Ruby, Nouskie, Uli et al making me watch it! :D

Anonymous said...

As I look over Paulh's comments tho - and I'm the anon. of 20:57 - maybe he's kidding with that Johnny Depp comment. Its just sort of a dig at critics who want to compare (but don't realize that's silly). I'm going with that for the moment.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there! Irony doesn't carry well in blogger comments and Paul knows his stuff :D

Anonymous said...

I loved all the POP posts but this one has incredible stuff in it.

That Lego movie is great, Jake should do more voice-overs. The ones he did in Jarhead deserve to be listened to with your eyes closed to savour them.

I loved the Elle interview. Ramona thinks her uncle Jake is handsome. Awwwwww!

LOL, Jake`s French is not that bad, maybe he learned a little while filming in Montréal. I wonder what else he can say in French. :)

OMG, I would kill my brother if he told the world in a magazine that he suffered abuse from me when he was young! :DD Poor Maggie!

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! There has been some amazing stuff, and I think that Lego film is right up there for me - love to hear Jake speaking over it and the lego Dastan is so charming :)

I adored that bit of the Elle interview too!

It took me a while to realise Jake was even talking French! But so funny :D I think Maggie gives as good as she gets :)

Anonymous said...

OMG - possible ***SPOILERS***


I just got back from seeing Pop. I wasn't prepared for how much I would enjoy it, with all of the meh reviews I've been reading. We both really liked it. It was wonderful.

It opens really beautifully, that just really really got to me. Jake's accent is nearly perfect (to my American ears). He worked hard and it shows. His body is ripplingly gorgeous, but it's his eyes that steal the show, for me. Tamina is wonderful; the costumes and sets and cinematograpy were gorgeously done. One thing I always love is a good soundtrack and this one is very affecting, especially in the beginning and end. The only minor thing was that we thought it was maybe a tad too long, but other than that, it was great. Sir Ben was great, Alfred Molina was great, the brothers were great - the villains, the Hassassins were very elegant, as is Sosa, and the ostriches were great too!

Everyone cheered as the credits rolled, which I don't see very often, probably a handful of times in all the times I go to the movies, which is a lot. The audience was mostly kids and teenagers. Sort o a surprise ending for me, and it looks like there miiiiight just be a sequel too? Great job! :)

Bertie

Anonymous said...

^^Oops, make that Seso.

I have to add that I loved the chemistry between Dastan and Tamina, she's quite flippant, but quite passionate about her mission too. :) For me, I wish there had been more of them, but the film appeals to a wide audience and there truly is something for everyone. Gemma's costumes were gorgeous, as were Jakes. I loved all the characters - Richard Coyle, Tobey Kebbell, Reece Ritchie, Steve Toussaint. I loved the Porcupine Hassansin, very very elegant, and cleverly done with sand dervishes. Lots of good things, and very beautiful scenery.

Bertie

paulh said...

I was at an afternoon showing of "Prince of Persia," so there weren't a lot of people, but a lot of them clapped when the film was over, and afterwards I heard them telling each other that they liked it. I walked out feeling quie good, because I liked the ending, and I really loved having an action hero who has a twinkle in his eye. Jake may be buffed up, but no way is he stiff or overly serious. He moakes the movie seem like fun.

I was afraid people might misunderstand my comments about Johnny Depp. I like him in any movie he cares to be in. I like Jake in any movie he cares to be in. If they happen to be in the same movie, then the more the merrier. So, I wasn't being ironic, but in no way did I mean to suggest that Jake couldn't carry his own movie. Jake did fine.

But you are so right about the critics. Many of them are clueless! Remember the first Harry Potter movie, when some critics said that Alan Rickman was too laid back to do justice to the part of Snape? But now he owns that character, and he hasn't changed. What has changed is that people got used to him. Reviews are written on tight deadlines, and first impressions all too often turn out to be half-nbaked or just plain wrong.

Anonymous said...

Alan Rickman was too laid back to do justice to the part of Snape?

Guh, I just couldn't imagine anyone else playing Severus Snape. Love him. :)

Bertie

Anonymous said...

here's a positive review of PoP:

The Calgary Herald

.

sheba said...

The Times Square video was great. As people get in closer to Jake you can see Mr BG start to panic a little trying still be close enough to protect Jake. I'm so grateful Jake has him as he's doing a really good job.

Hope everyone's still enjoying PoP weekend.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - Totally overslept! I think all of this has just worn me out and I didn't wake up til noon!

Bertie, great to hear your review! And it's really nice to hear that the audience was so receptive. It's a very seductive film - everything about it is so lovely and golden. I loved how it worked out too... The costumes were just brilliant. I loved Jake's and Tamina's and the Hassansins as they gallop through the desert - amazing.

Thanks Monica. The president of this foundation emailed me yesterday but it was too late to include a link in the post. I may do later or just leave it here.

Paul! Thanks for coming back and explaining that :D I agree about critics. It seems a strange case with PoP that some critics aren't too keen and yet audiences are loving it for what it is and what is was meant to be. It's all too easy to criticise a movie like this (although I do agree with Rob that some of the dialogue is iffy) but for holiday weekend viewing, it's perfect. It's my sort of movie so I would have gone anyway, but I love having a film where Jake is in almost every scene and you can see the fun in his eyes. Fabulous!

Hi Bertie! I know, can you imagine anyone but Alan Rickman in that role?

Thanks 04:02! I'm pleased to say that there were quite a few big positive reviews yesterday.

Hi there Sheba! I love that video - and that guard is doing a perfect job :D

Have a lovely Sunday everyone! I'm taking it easy :D

Uli said...

LOL, I am so sorry, WDW... :D :D :D
But can I say that as the probably most unpatriotic person in the world I think it's actually kind of cool that Germany won the song contest - taking part with a not embarrassing song and singer for once? :D :D :D

Olympia is so right about Jake's voice over in Jarhead, and didn't he say in some interview back then that he was so nervous about it. There's no need for that Jake, it is wonderful... And I just love his voice.
And this Lego video was sooooo cute!!! Dastan had such a lovely umbrella!! :D :D :D And it even had Susan Boyle with a bat!!
I wish Jake would be here to tell the story when I will have finally assembled my Lego and can start playing with it!! (I don't think it has the umbrella, though...)

Hehe, I think the licking-milk-out-of-the-bowl story is such a typical Jake-talk-show story! It was the best part of the Regis&Kelly interview... I love it - and it serves Maggie right that this comes out now! You can't abuse your cute little brother and go unpunished... :D ;)

I just voted for Jake being my male role model... But, ahem, who the hell is Alexander Skarsgard?

I am glad that you all had the feeling that the audience liked PoP when you saw it. I really hope that this will be a success for Jake!
I will give myself a short break after having seen it 3 times, but will definitely go again the week after this coming week!

Anonymous said...

I loved listening to the videos and just adored the funny interview with Jake. I am so glad he is relaxing nd enjoying everything. I'm still thinking of that bit he did on Letterman (that interview certainly needed something cause Dave was such a dud) about having to be serious cause Russians don't like it when you smile. That was hysterical.

Jake has a wicked sense of humor. And if Jake wants to surprise me for my birthday it's in Oct (hint, wink Jake)

sweetpea

BBMISwear said...

Hi Everyone! Just had to pop in to say a quick hello and and thank you to all of you who enjoyed and commented on WDW's post from Friday re: Ted and Lisa's Excellent Toronto Adventure talking to Jake at the TV Studio! It was a fun day and it's always so great to share stories with all you here who are the best Jake fans there are! I won't repeat the words that have been coming out of my mouth since Friday at 9PM when I got to the lake house to find our internet was down and now found out they cannot fix it until after the long holiday weekend. Let's just say that those people answering the phone at the internet company are probably wondering who that woman is who keeps calling them to tell them that their customer service S*#ks!!! (Right now I am in my car, with my laptop, parked in the deserted parking lot of the local public library in a town with less than 1,000 people. Can anyone say internet withdrawal?!?!)

I am over a week behind in everything on WDW but as soon as I can get some decent internet connection (i.e. once back in Boston) I will carve out some time for a major catch-up. Thank you so much, WDW, for having the best Jake blog in existence and the greatest group of people who visit here! You and IHJ have done one hell of a job during the incredible PoP ride and if there were awards to give out I think you both deserve Oscars for this! Seriously! Big hugs to you! Catch you next week when things are bit more back to normal.

Lisa/BBMISwear :-) P.S. Boston Celtics vs. LA Lakers in the NBA Finals next week - lucky Jake - he gets to be harassed by his Boston friends for deciding to root for LA! LOL!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Uli! Well, I'm glad you were victorious at Eurovision (the complete opposite to how the UK did but then I'm not really sure what our song was like as I couldn't bear to have the sound on). It was fun watching it with you!

I love the lego and the umbrella! I've only built little bits of my lego, mainly as I have no lego ability. It's like acne, you tend to grow out of it...

Hi Sweetpea, those Russian picures were hysterical!

Hey! BBMISwear! You found some internet! I'd be in a cold sweat. Typical that you were without it as your story was being enjoyed. But hope you'll be home soon and you can do some serious catching up. Very good to hear your voice :D

Thanks so much xx

That's funny about the NBA - I wonder if Jake'll be on one side of the court and his Boston friends will be on the other, heckling him. Do they sit on different sides? They wouldn't mix here!

I'm being so lazy - doing a relaxing post now :D