Thursday 27 May 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal is here to entertain you!

There's nothing for it - here is Jake Gyllenhaal singing 'Hedgehog Doing Karate: The American Idol Song' with Jimmy Fallon - in bright yellow. As I understand it, American Idol is a docudrama about a group of youngsters who crash land on a Pacific Island With No Name, who have to sing their way out of trouble while avoiding the indigenous polar bears and Simon Cowell and Lord Andrew Lloyd Weber.


Do not attempt to watch this clip without sunglasses, ear plugs and a strong constitution. Whatever would Nizam think?



Jake later recounted his traumatic experience in Century City where, just because he was firing some weapon, he was carted off in handcuffs. It is not known if this was before or after the Stealing the Speedo Incident at the Beverly Center. Jake was banned for life from Century City mall. If he goes anywhere near the place now, he is almost instantly surrounded by security and large crowds. Fortunately, I can attest myself that Jake managed to cause no lasting damage to London's Westfield Centre the other week.



This is another of those days when the GyllenGoodies hurtle thick and fast, tumbling down that Disney Mountain of PoP in an avalanche of golden treasures. With Prince of Persia now just hours away from the screens of North America, it's little surprise that PoP Thursday is every bit as jampacked as PoP Wednesday. So, not knowing where to begin, let's continue with Jake Gyllenhaal on the cover and in the pages of London's free weekly magazine, ShortList - more than enough to brighten up the morning commute.


This is such an interesting and varied interview - you can read it online here or click on these scans. 'Yeah, that’s like my favourite thing ever: the many mispronunciations of the name Gyllenhaal. Gill-en-hale, Gyle-en-hall, Gyle-en-hale… Does it bother you? No, I forgive them. It’s an absurd last name. It’s Swedish.'


'Lance Armstrong said to me, “Just break a sweat once a day.” Break a sweat once a day — and not out of stress — and you’ll stay healthy for the rest of your life. And I think that’s really true. Find something to get your heart-rate up, that’s what I did with this. But it’s good also to get paid to do it. That really helps. '


'[They say you’re a dab hand at woodwork. Is that nonsense?] That is kind of nonsense... I’m going to just set the record straight now. I don’t think I’m that good at woodwork. I do like doing woodwork. But I don’t necessarily think I’m good at it. It’s really hard. [What’s the last thing you made?] The last thing I think I made was a big outdoor dining table for my house. I made one for my mom that’s really great, made from salvaged wood. [Do you put your initials in it so she knows it’s from you?] No, no... My genius is anonymity. [That’s beautiful.] I know, it’s beautiful. You may be eating dinner at a table I made and not know it. I could have made this [taps the table in front of us]…'


'Well, he [Paul Newman] was just the guy who made salad dressings to me. But if he hadn’t been this extraordinary actor, this huge movie star, he still would have been this incredible person. Do you know what I mean? He always exuded that. As a kid, I could feel that. But I don’t think I knew how amazing he was until later on. And he became a real guide.'


On testing for Batman Begins: 'That was the beginning of me going after things that I think that people didn’t assume that I could play. Something like testing for the role of Batman, nobody wanted to see me for that.' [Was it a close-run thing?] I got pretty close. I just pushed and pushed and pushed and tried as hard as I could to get it, because I thought, “Maybe I could do it.” That was me saying, “I’m going to do things that people don’t expect.” The Batman thing was the beginning of that. [Are there any other big movies you missed out on?] These are horrible stories. So many, man. I’ve been acting for 15 years, since I was pretty young, so there have been tons of different things. My flummoxed audition for Dude, Where’s My Car? [You really auditioned for that?] Oh man, I gave such a good audition. Such a bummer. It was so good.'



'[Be serious, because we’re going to print this… I’m serious. Totally serious. I came in and they were like, “We don’t want it to be like Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, we want it to be different.” I was like, “I got it. I got it.” I’d worked on it. I knew exactly what I was going to do. And I was like [puts on dorky accent], “Dude, where’s my car?” That was the character. That was who I was going to be. And they were like, “That’s great, um, can we try it again, without the accent?” And I was like, “That’s all I’ve got... That was what I’ve got for it.” That was a movie I would have loved to have done.'


World Cup: '[England play USA in their first game. You’ll definitely be watching it?] Yes, I’m going to watch it. I’m thinking I may go to South Africa. Maybe. [Your next movie is called Nailed. Other than the fact it’s about a woman with a nail stuck in her head, can you tell us why we should watch it?] Yeah, there’s a pretty raucous sex scene with me and Jessica Biel. It’s so brilliantly shot, crazy camera moves and a lot of choreography on our parts. That was all from the mind of [Three Kings director] David O Russell. I think it took maybe 40 tries to get right. [Not a bad day in the office...] Say no more.' Much more here, including more bewildering and impenetrable consideration of the Donnie Darko plot.


Another fine interview (conducted at the Dorchester in London) can be found today in Australia's Herald Sun. All of these interviews demonstrate what absolute fun Jake had making Prince of Persia and how its publicity has been a joy (the contrast to Rendition strikes me constantly). 'But when I saw the Lego, well. Most of the kids in my life, they would be like, 'There is a Lego Prince of Persia? This movie is gonna be awesome!' That really made me excited. Some may say an Academy Award nomination is a massive achievement, but I would say my own Prince of Persia Lego man (is bigger)... They had to totally redo the classic Lego mullet to accommodate my hairdo and make a new mould.'


'Normally I'm sitting on a set doing scenes and not being able to move and all I want to do is jump up and run around... So it was as fun to do as it is to watch. That was the movie -- we all went to the desert as a huge group of people and we had a whole lot of fun.'

'Everyone takes things so seriously and I've learnt that the world is a pretty rough place. I think if you have the opportunity to take things less seriously for a moment, well, do it... I'm doing something different not just for my career but for my life. I had the honour of meeting President Obama a little while ago and he said to me, 'It's your job as an entertainer to entertain and make people feel good because we're going through a rough time'. I really took those words of advice to heart. I was like, 'All right, many people do much more important jobs than me, but in terms of my job, that's what I do'. I happen to be at an age where I've taken myself so seriously and I don't really want to take myself as seriously any more. So I decided this film was going to be the jump off point for me. I just want to have fun and see what happens creatively... Now, if someone says to me 'You're going to do what?' I will be, 'I'm going to do it'.'


'The heart of this movie is someone coming to terms with someone who didn't want to get close to people... They don't want to open their heart but in the end they have no choice. These are two people fighting that, as every great love story is about that. But for me, it was about: you don't settle for anything, in life, in a love relationship.'


'Can I just say I love Australians? I have to say that right now. I don't want to group you as 'all Australians' but you're pretty rad. I just worked with (American actor) Michelle Monaghan and her husband (Queenslander Peter White) is Australian. Every Australian that comes in and out of my life is just so great.' I like that.



INTERMISSION - go and put the kettle on or pour yourself another drink. Imagine incidental music - maybe something nice on a harp...


... Jake conducted several interviews in Canada (you can watch another one here) on Tuesday and this article sets the scene a little: 'My abs make me who I am. That and the hair," he laughs wryly before reporters at Toronto's Windsor Arm's hotel. Gyllenhaal jokes. He plays. He talks mischievously about his bad eyesight and downing Gummy Bears (a training no-no) while shooting Disney's sprawling new epic, "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time." You watch. You listen. And then you ask, "Is this the same guy from "Brokeback Mountain?" Yes, and no.'


'Contrary to popular belief, I like to have a good time... We were out to make a movie where people have a good time... That was our intention. To make a fun, lighthearted movie that was a throwback to the films of Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn but modern at the same time... When I was a kid I loved movies like ‘Indiana Jones.' I think ‘Prince of Persia' can give a whole new generation of kids the same kind of thrill.'



I'm sure we all remember WonderCon, the event that kicked off this Prince of Persia Adventure - today an interview from there has been released: 'here he is, the star of solemn dramas such as "Donnie Darko" and "Brokeback Mountain," in one of the back conference rooms of the Moscone Center looking oddly inconspicuous in a black sweatshirt and blue jeans and feeling a little frustrated that his handlers won't let him out to mingle with the thousands of costumed revelers on the floor. "I've always heard about these events, and I've always wondered what they were like," the 29-year-old Los Angeles native says, sipping a cup of green tea. "This feels like home. This is what it was like every Sunday at the Gyllenhaal house."'


'"I don't ostracize myself from the rest of the world in terms of how much I'm entertained by large-scale movies and how much I love them," he says. "So I thought, you know, I got a lot of attention from the other roles I played. It gave me the opportunity to look around."'

t>

'"But you've got to trust your instincts. Lives and careers are made out of great successes and great failures and taking risks. I feel like, if you try to sit there listening to what everybody thinks you should do and you're not listening to your own heart, then you're bound not to be living life. So I just went, 'I'm going to go for it.'?"' Read more here.


I do want to congratulate Sir Ben Kingsley for his Hollywood Star unveiled today, in the presence of Jerry Bruckheimer.


In another London interview (Reuters) just released, Jake talks some more about his choice of roles: 'I think it was about time I stopped taking myself so seriously, and I think to learn as an actor and as any artist that there are different facets to what you do.'


'I have been told often that I have a good sense of humor and the slew of movies that I've done, starting with this movie to the movie I just did with Anne Hathaway ("Love and Other Drugs") and then a movie I just did with Duncan Jones ("Source Code") all have incorporated that sense of humor and a sense of fun, and I think a sense of real entertainment. Those were the movies that I loved always when I was a kid. I loved Indiana Jones. There were movies I remember that were told for children or the child-like part of ourselves. Some of them are really dark, some of them are light, I consider this (Prince of Persia) as sort of lighter, but that's what I wanted to do, I wanted to tell a story and be in a story that was great fun.'


'When I was a little younger, and I did start (acting) so young, I think you tend to try and be a little bit more of what you think other people might want or what people might consider to be interesting. And then I think I found that I've just decided to do what I find interesting. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do films that are darker later on.'


'These games haven't been given the respect they deserve in the movie world and I think (producer) Gerry (Bruckheimer) has done that. They (gamers) are tough, and I appreciate that. I come from a tough family. I don't mind tough critics.'


And finally...

Jake Gyllenhaal appeared on ETalk in Toronto in Tuesday. You can see a taster here. As yet, this show hasn't made it online, but stay tuned to WDW because, in the next day or two, there will be an astonishing (and dareIsay 'rad') report by a WDW Correspondent and Adventurer! It is going to be Super Dope!



A reminder that if you want to go and heckle Rob on MovieBrit for his guest review of Prince of Persia, please do! I'm off to do that now myself...

Many thanks to Winterbird for treating me to the ShortList! And thanks to IHJ for continuing their incredible job of keeping us well-fed with videos and pictures.
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

28 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello! Sorry for the lateness of the post... It was rather... time-consuming. I hope you found the intermission handy...

Anonymous said...

OMG there is so much stuff! Great job again, WDW. Hang in there, it's almost over. :)

That singing number on Jimmy Fallon is something else, I think I even recognized some Santa Dance moves in there. :D I didn't stay up to watch the show last night but I suddenly woke up in time to catch the second half of that musical number. I was half asleep and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were singing about. A hedgehog doing karate?! I never tought I'd hear Jake singing about my beloved pets. :DDD I have 2 hedgies (and no, they don't do karate).

I'll finally be seeing POP tomorrow night. I can't believe it after waiting for so long. :)

Olympia

Ruby said...

Ok, I made it to the intermission. Where's the lady with the ice-cream and the Kia-ora? :D

Great number on Jimmy Fallon. I've never seen him before - I think I like him. He and Jake seemed to be having fun.

I have a headache, so might have to save the second half until tomorrow to do it justice. I'm looking forward to lunch already.

Thanks, WDW. More of the special pink drinks for you soon. xx

Ruby said...

That was a sweet comment about the Australians in and out of his life.

Anonymous said...

One word: THANKYOU!!! :D

Silver

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello! Just poured myself an invigorating Margarita :D

Thanks Olympia! I know... nearly there. It's just incredible it really is - and I am so glad that people Stateside will be seeing the film so soon - so we can all talk about it!

I love hedgehogs - I have one that regularly visits - called Arnold. I just can't see him doing Karate. What a bizarre song! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of PoP!

Rubes! Yes, soory, I ran out of funds for the ice cream. I do have some mouldy raspberry ripple in the freezer if you fancy it? I need to take all this in too so that's what this weekend is for :) And for a couple more PoP visits! It is a lovely Australia quote :)

Ooh pink drinks! Yes please!! xxx

My pleasure, Silver! Enjoy :D

Linda said...

amazing :)
everybody is talking about Jake everywhere.. it makes me just so happy :D
I wish it was always like this <3 haha
thanks you so much :D

TD said...

So much joy!
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It makes me happy too, Linda! Maybe not always - I think it'd do me in!

Well put, TD :D

Linda said...

you're right :)
oh I almost forget to mention the fact that Im too excited to see PoP finally.. yes I know it sucks, But I live in Mexico and the movie comes out tomorrow like in usa :)
I took this picture at the cinema, hope you like it
http://twitpic.com/1lmk0x

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh, I do like it Linda! There's a very similar one in my own cinema - love that Jake's around the world like this :D Enjoy it!

Linda said...

thank you :D I know.. I'm glad he's really succesful.
I got some scans in spanish That I can show you anytime :)
have a nice day/night!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It is wonderful :D Always love to see scans! You could email them to me at wetdarkandwild@googlemail.com and then I could include them in a post!

winterbird said...

wow, I can spend a whole day - lunch, tea time break-dinner in your post!!! Thanks so much.

Jake seems to have great fun with Jimmy Fallon, both are pretty funny guys, and again, Jake doesn't take himself too seriously, the singing is just... brilliant! :)

maybe after the PoP whirlwind is over, you can count how many the wordcount of these posts!!

Linda said...

ok :) I'm sending you some of them right know :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

My pleasure, Winterbird, and thanks for the ShortList - it's fabulous! I've not seen Jimmy Fallon before - a very funny guy :D

That's great, Linda, thanks! I'll look out for them :D

Linda said...

I Sent You the email.:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Linda! Love it :D

D'you know, doing WDW is such a pleasure!

Night *)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just found out Rendition is playing here in french tonight. It`s really not one of my favorite Jake movies but it`ll be nice to watch that first scene again. :D

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh! Always good to see Jake on TV, Olympia :D So yes, watch the beginning and then get ready for PoP!

I must go to bed... Night!

Leslie said...

Wow you've outdone yourself WDW! Bravo!

I have a few articles that I have to read but I made it through the clips and everything you've written.

Again I thought Jimmy Fallon was wonderful last night. I had Hedgehog Doing Karate in my head all day today.

This is going to sound strange but I feel like I can really relate to Jake a lot when he talks about turning 30 and his decision to stop taking himself so seriously. I'm also about to hit 30 (my scary age) I find I take myself a lot less seriously now than I ever did. I'm trying to really enjoy life and have fun with things. Jake and I should hang out to discuss turning 30 ;-)

Tomorrow PoP finally comes out in the US. I unfortunately still have to wait until Sunday to see it. I may be able to squeeze in a trip to the theater Saturday to see it but as of right now it looks like Sunday (and again Monday). I feel like a terrible Jake fan since I'm not seeing it opening day lol

Anonymous said...

People have always talked about how Jake and his sense of humor when making movies. He likes to joke and kid around and he did that on DD and on Zodiac and do rem. someone saying how he liked to kid on BBM.
Maybe doing serious roles is what he has talked about as that is what an actor did..but you know..Bubble Boy..which was a great comic performance.
People mag. has a bad review of POP but a nice couple pages on Jake where he answers questions.

Jake Fan said...

Oops posted this by mistake under yesterday's post. There is so much Jake, I'm not complaining.

I love your blog and its love of Jake the actor. You give off good vibes, I hope the universe listens. I from this moment on will make WDW my only source of all that is Jake. I Heart Jake seems good too but I don't want to be a registered user. The love of Jake should know no boundaries but I understand the need for it.


Maybe one day I will run into Jake while in Austin, Tx visiting the bat caves and then I will ask him to teach me how to dance. We can do the Batman together.

Great Blog.

T said...

WDW - Thank you so much another fab post.
Is it strange that Jake even looks hot channeling his inner ninja & singing about hedgehogs.
Great interviews & i think this is just the start, im sure we'll see this upbeat, jokey & very funny Jake when LAOD & Source Code come out.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone - PoP day!!! So did you all go and see PoP at midnight across that pond?! I know some readers did :D

Thanks so much Leslie! Glad you like it! I think life gets interesting at 30 and it's liberating. It's definitely more fun. Obviously I'm only 21.... I know you'll love the film :D

hi Anon :D Jake is a natural comic and performer - he shows it time after time. And he has the perfect opportunity and talent to mix up these roles. Wonderful. People will be in the next post :)

Jake Fan - Thank you so much - that is such a lovely thing to say. And it means a lot to me that you say you like the vibe! We are so lucky to have IHJ :) I'll do my best not to let you down .

Hi T! Yes! Bring it on :D

Have a great PoP Day everyone - let me know if you go and see it - and a oliday weekend too. I'll sure I'll fit in a couple of viewings (and no heatwave to contend with this weekend - for once I don't mind).

Uli said...

Oh DAMN! I can't wait till I am at home tonight (around midnight, shit...). Will I get any sleeeeeeep???

Thanks for this mouth watering post, WDW! And I didn't even read a single word!!!! :D :D :D

Karen said...

"a hedghog doing karate" ha ha ha ha, that was so funny! Loved the dance moves!

Can someone pass me the dagger coz I need more time to catch up with everything...."dagger time" ;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Uli and Karen! Dagger time is right - could do with quite a bit of that.

Doing a very special post but some technical hitches so stay tunes!!