Saturday 26 June 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal and his amazing magical powers - on and off the screen

John Barrowman, aka Captain Jack, is a favourite of mine, not least because I first saw him on BAFTA Day 2007 when John did his bit to entertain us during that long and cold wait for a certain rather gorgeous movie star to turn up. By the sound of it, it wasn't just me who got a thrill when the announcement came that Jake Gyllenhaal had just got out of his car and was walking our way.


'John Barrowman has a soft spot for Jake Gyllenhaal. The Torchwood star would like to share an on-screen snog with the 29-year-old hunk. 'I've been pretty lucky to have kissed some fabulous women,' John, 43, admits. 'I've also kissed some of the most fabulous men but Jake Gyllenhaal is lovely - just take your clothes off, Jake!'' A classic almost poetic phrase there, I'm sure you'll agree, And, back in 2008, when Jake beat John to win AfterElton's Top 100 Hottest, Captain Jack had no complaints.


Meanwhile, commentators - largely in the US - continue to lambast Prince of Persia despite its huge success beyond those shores. With thanks to Tas for the link, you can read here an interesting feature, which lists the 36 films that have made $200 million or more internationally, with less than 30% coming from the US. PoP is listed at no. 20 and there are some great movies on this list - Schindler's List, Fifth Element and The Full Monty. Many of these films have proven themselves stayers, judging by the number of times Fifth Element is shown on UK TV...


Jake Gyllenhaal has charmed far and wide with Prince of Persia and its publicity tour. I particularly enjoyed this article from Canada which shows yet again what happens when Jake lets loose that most formidable weapon - his charm. Or, as this article puts it, his magical powers that extend far beyond the screen.


'While his character Dastan's superpowers in the mystical lands of Persia come from an ancient dagger that has the ability to turn back time, Gyllenhaal's real life magic comes from copious charisma and an ability to make even the most jaded journalists break out into thunderous laughter on command. He instantly cranks up his own brand of charm upon entering an intimate hotel room with a handful of Toronto media, teasing a pretty young reporter about her clunky radio equipment. "Wow, old school!" he says, pretending to use all of his strength to wind it up. "Can you repeat that please?" he quips in the most timid of girly voices. The 29-year-old actor has just finished making another young female scribe blush by calling her a "vision in white" during their one-on-one interview down the hall.'


'Despite the number one question from the press being "How did you get those abs?," Gyllenhaal has lost much of the bulk he put on while filming eighteen months ago and his unimposing stature is a far cry from the mega-muscle-man who appears on the film's posters. He admits to loading up on plenty of Baskin Robbins ice cream to celebrate the end of the regimented training schedule and strict diet he was forced to follow for the role, which also required him to adopt a British accent for the first time in his career. All the gruelling work clearly paid off, with Gyllenhaal calling the female frenzy "flattering," especially when a theatre full of fans at a recent Los Angeles screening chanted "take off your shirt" relentlessly.'


'Gyllenhaal recently showed "Prince of Persia" to his cousins - who range in age from six to 14 - and says their excitement reminded him of when he saw the "Indiana Jones" films for the first time as a child. "This movie was made for families to bring their kids," he says.'

'Of course, the gamers will also be front and centre in theatres, and Gyllenhaal fully expects to hear their criticism. "Video game movies have not been successfully adapted in the past and I think we have gone out of our way to interpret the video game as opposed to copy it which obviously draws criticism from the avid gamers who play the game all the time but I think it's the only way to make any movie that's based on a video game good," he says.'



'"The character I play in the movie is much more similar to me than any of the other characters I've ever played before," he explains. "I like to have a good time and not take myself too seriously."... Just before the interview is set to come to a close, a reporter throws out one final question: "Can you really do parkour??" she probes, at which point Gyllenhaal's publicist steps in to call it a wrap. "Uh, we gotta go..." he stammers nervously, never seeming to tire of playing the jokester. "We've gotta go, it's time to do parkour training!"' More here.



If you're unable to see the video embedded in the post, you can find it here. Jake, again, is in playful mode.



Includes pictures from Ruby and scans from WDW.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive really enjoyed reading the last two posts WDW! Thankyou :D Just want to say thanks for all the congrats in the last post! :D Short comment :) back to tennis!

(come on USA) :P

Silver

LadyEkster said...

That MSN article was a joy to read. 'His ability to melt those around him' how well put! And in that video he is just totally effing that interviewer, hahaha! The poor guy. Ask some better questions next time, dude.

I think something went wrong though with the first URL. Both the 'interesting feature' and 'this article from Canada' lead to the MSN article. Or it's just me, of course. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Silver! Glad you liked them - and thank YOU! I'm watching the tennis too - C'mon Nadal! I'm sure I'll be watching the USA later too, although I may have to get in some serious relaxation therapy before the match tomorrow!!

Hey there Lady Ekster! Thanks very much for letting me know about the links - I've fixed it :D The article is well worth a read - some list.

I'm chuckling with you about the video - that poor guy. I think he was a bit overcome with Jake :D And the MSN article is wonderful - another Gyllenhaalic made :)

Anonymous said...

I don`t know much about John Barrowman but he sure has great taste! And he's quite funny, loved his comment when he lost the AfterElton`s poll to Jake. :DDD

It's always fun to read how Jake can charm the pants off anybody. And it's even funnier to watch. Remember the interview he did with Diane Sawyer while promoting Zodiac? She was totally fangurling over him. :D

Olympia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this wonderful post. I see Jake was interviewed by a cutie, two hot guys in one room. If only I were sitting in the middle (of course I'd be drooling)

It is nice that Jake is at a point where he is having fun with his life. I only wonder what is next on his plate

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Olympia! I hope you're enjoying your long weekend :D I'm quite a fan of Torchwood but it's Ruby who's the big fan. He is rather lovely though. It's been nice to see him in Oxford a couple of times too signing books and CDs. He definitely has great taste!

OMG that interview with Diane Sawyer was a classic!! Anoher Gyllenhaalic. I remember the Zodiac publicity so fondly - loved it.

Hi Sweetpea :) You're very right - definitely a rather attractive roomful. I wonder too. Hopefully it'll be news like we had for Rendition and LAOD and SC - where it's announced and Jake's at work straight away.

The Murray match is going better than the USA game. I'm breaking open the doritos. It's so muggy here and we have no AC so I've also broken open the ice-cream. I like to think of Jake liking ice cream too.

Linda said...

Hi there! :)
I really liked this post!
have a cool day :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Linda! And you too :D

Anonymous said...

It seems that with comments from most of the movies Jake has made he has always made it a fun set. He has taken things seriously of course (Dennis Quaid telling Jake TDAT was just a movie and not out there to save the world..) but they talked about how Jake was the cut-up while making BBM and you can see his joking when doing Donnie Darko.
And is there anything funnier than the comments on the DVD of "Bubble Boy".
Something like POP was a change in the type of film and it would be a fun thing to do esp. from someone who likes to run and jump and do atheltic things.
And of course growing up during all of these he understands more about his place in movies, his work, and his personal life.
But basic Jake has always seemed to be the same type of person and that's a good thing.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I do agree, Anon! Jake's humour has shone out from everyone who's talked about him on set through the years. But as Gemma says, Jake's a funny guy! And that Bubble Boy commentary is priceless! I adore it and I listen to it so many times. I so love Jake's commentaries, the one with RDJ for Zodiac was great too - and the DDarko one. I'm hoping we get one for PoP. Good times :)

BBMISwear said...

Just popping in to tell you I happily have made it to the May 30th post with only 24 to go to be caught up! It's been such a chore (NOT)!! I loved everything I saw...no sense going on and on about it all...everyone here has already said such wonderful things! I will say that I was reminded that Olympia and I have another thing to add to the what we have in common list (I think this is the 74th thing or something like that - LOL!) when after reading the kissing bit she said "Heath will always be Jake`s best kiss". Yep. That pretty much sums it up. There will never be a better on screen kiss than theirs (in my humble opinion). *heavy sigh*

Well I should probably go get some other things done - you know, those things people are suppose to get done on a quiet Saturday at home. (But I'd rather stay here and look at those other 24 posts)!

I'll be back...

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yeay! Good to see you BBMISwear :-) Normally, the time difference gets in the way. And yes, not too many kisses that mean more than a Brokeback kiss :)

You mean there's something else to do than Jake and watch football?

Actually there is, at last written a post at MovieBrit. Sorry for the delay in that - I blame PoP and the World Cup!

Jake Fan said...

Go to Yahoo now, its a video on POP taking over Laracroft. Finally somewell deserved good press in AMerica. Go now.

Ruby said...

I think I have more pictures of John Barrowman from BAFTA than I managed to get of Jake. Clearly JB is a man of taste and discernment. ;-) I always suspected as much.

I like to read about interviewer reactions to Jake. I would think that interviewing a lot of movie actors would make them immune to the charismatic but it's nice to know that there is something special about Jake.

Thanks for including some of my photos. There is still a steady flow of visitors to my pics on Flickr - people searching for both Jake and Gemma - which is good to see.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello! Running late here today as I have a lot of jobs to get through before the footie :D And it's hot so I'm worn out.

Hi Jake Fan! That's good to know - thanks :D

Hey there Rubes! It was very nice of JB to model for us like that on Bafta Day - Jake was bloody difficult to photo that day - it was crazy! And again it makes me appreciate the PoP premiere being under cover.

I love your pictures - that Keep Smiling one is such a favourite.

I do agree that it is so good to think that Jake has such an affect on hardened interviewers. Noone is immune :D

Have a lovely Sunday everyone! I need to go out and find some coffee.

Anonymous said...

I just saw England lost to Germany. My sympathies to you and all the Brits, WDW.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks, Olympia! (Although it's normally only England in Britain that cheers on England, traditionally some other parts cheer on Germany! :D) It was a disappointment but I'm over it already and in a way I'm rather relieved. I can enjoy the rest of the matches now and Wimbledon!

And the sunshine :D