Tuesday 8 June 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal: An international man of mystery, mirth, nosh and mottos - 'live, work and play sports'. And the Return of the Son of PoP...

The Son of the Prince of Persia is back. 'You have beautiful dark hair like your mother' Jake Gyllenhaal aka Dad Dastan tells him, while evil Uncle Nizam continues to test his hapless nephew, stating that the union of Dastan and Tamina poses no threat at all. It turns out that this Son of Persia was also the one who asked Jake at the London Press Conference why he was so afraid of Austrians. Continuing with its bounties of richness, this video also gives us the opportunity to hear Jake speak in an English accent in German - a rare feat, I'm sure you'll agree. Bravo to Daniele Rizzo.



Mike Newell would have only one word for it - and I think you know what it is...



Talking of accents and Jake's adaptations of Britishness (so much so that he's now stopped talking about hockey and is talking non-stop instead about soccer and watching the USA lose to England in South Africa on Sunday), in this interview brand new and beautiful bride Gemma Arterton talks of Jake's dry British sense of humour. I sense that Jake was able to give as good as he could get. Possibly. Jake also has some nice words to say about his feisty foe and Persian partner.



Never one to be tied to just two or three countries alone, Jake also has - I fear this isn't news - a Swedish connection. In this interview (thanks to Herman for the link), Jake says that he is keen to visit Sweden with his sister, not having visited before, but that he is no stranger to Sweden in the kitchen. But I get ahead of myself... the interviewer had first spoken to Jake ten years before, in those October Sky days when the interviewer had paid the bill for lunch.


'I remember the interview... You asked in particular about what my favorite group was from Sweden.' And in 2010 Jake has to make a sorry admission - he no longer drives a Volvo: "'No, now I drive an Audi', he says, and my German colleague cheers.' 'I'm very interested in cooking. As soon as I arrive in a new city I like to visit the local market. I buy lots of cookbooks, too, including several different Swedish cookbooks... I love meatballs.'


And it just so happens Jake has donated his Swedish meatball recipe to the world:

'I made these to be added to tomato sauce to be served over pasta. You can also make these in smaller sized meatballs to be served as an appetizer.

1 1/2 lb ground beef vegetarian mince
2 slices white bread, crust removed
1/2 C pecorino romano
2 or 3 garlic cloves minced
1 tbs fresh parsley chopped
1 tbs fresh basil chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 eggs beaten


Preheat oven 375F. Gently mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, but don't crush it all together. You do not want to compact the mixture. Make about 12 meatballs. They will be around 2 inches in diameter. Place on an oiled baking pan and and bake for 15 minutes (20 if you are not going to add them to sauce). Add to tomato sauce and simmer a few minutes before serving.' There's lots to chew over here, not least the mysteries of the American measuring system for cooking. I think I need Jake to pop round to explain it to me.


In this same French interview, apart from saying that he blushes like a virgin when he talks about love (deep breathes... take a moment... continue...), Jake does state 'I have no favorite dish. People who choose a particular dish are not as good a cook as they say. They should be able to create an exquisite dish, whatever the recipe.' I feel that once Jake experiences my kedgeree he may change his mind on that one. As for the love comment... 'When I speak of love, I blush like a virgin. But I'm convinced that a relationship can be sustainable if it's with the right person. But in the meantime, I continue to live, work and play sports. (Laughter.)' Sounds good to me!


In this interview, Jake also talks about his Moroccan Prince of Persia diet and - again, I fear this might not be news - it's chicken and vegetable tagines or, to mix it up a bit, vegetable and chicken tagines. 'On the set in Morocco, I continued to lift weights. I ran back to my hotel every night, and I created a diet composed mostly of tagines of chicken and vegetables. I love it. (Laughter.)' There's that British sense of humour again.


Pictures from Disney, via IHJ.

16 comments:

Antonia said...

Please PLEASE please PLEASE Jake come visit Sweden, you'll love it :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Call me Sherlock, but something tells me you're in Sweden, Antonia :D But, seriously, I hope he gets over there :)

Unknown said...

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh wdw these interviews are priceless. i cant help smiling at jake being called dad by a 'son' the same age as him...how adorable.
and that meatball recipe....i just love jakes attention to detail...he was so specific in quantities and appliying different methods...its like he didnt want to give anyone food poisoining so he detailed different variations...hahaha.
god..i would so love to cook with him...im sure i could teach him a thing or two and vice versa.
i sooo look forward to the jake gyllenhaal cookbook. it would be called something 'cheesy' like 'bake with jake'...hahahahaha

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sabina, I'm so glad you like the interviews! They are priceless. And that Son of PoP video made me cry with laughter - OMG hysterical! we didn't get this sort of thing with rendition...

The recipe was very careful and precise. I like how seriously Jake took it (obviously as a veggie I had t make a vital change...). I love Bake with Jake!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE JAKE ! HE IS SO FUNNY AND NATURAL. when i see him it's like FRESH AIR

I love all of his movies, great actor

AND HERE IN FRANCE WE LOVED THE MOVIE PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Soundouss! Jake really is such a breath of fresh air! And that's so great how France loves the Prince of Persia :D

Anonymous said...

Yay! More Dastan Jr! Haha the Union Jack Umbrella :') Brilliant. I hope we see more of him when he interviews Jake for the PoP sequel *hint hint* *nudge nudge* ;)

Seriously, Natalie Portman was right, Jake can do SPOT ON impressions of people he works with. I just love the SMASHING video. With my eyes closed it could just be Mike Newell :D

Silver

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Silver! OMG Dastan Jr - out there in the big wide dangerous word of London with nothing but a brolly and the 'this is no usual dagger'. So funny! And I love the Smashing moment - I'm not only going to say smashing more I'm going to say 'Not smashing!' more too :D

julia said...

i didn't expect a 2nd part of dastan jr - it was great!
but where/when does jake speak german?? i'm german and i couldn't spot anything.. :)

Leslie said...

Hellllloooo!!

I'm so happy there is another interview from Dastan Jr. I still think it's one of the cleverest interviews ever. I'm glad we got to see more.

I could listen to Jake say Smashing all day :-D

Hmm I may need to try out Jake's meatball recipe. I was looking for one before why not try Jake's ;-)

BBMISwear said...

These interviews are so much fun! But I have to say my "catch up" is not going well since I am working from the current posts to the older posts and I keep getting stuck on all the great stuff in the current posts and before I know it I don't get any further than 2 days!! What am I to do?! LOL!!

It is great to see Jake's meatball recipe but I must mention that this is not a Swedish Meatball Recipe - it is a traditional Italian Meatball Recipe and is very similar to that of my grandmother's who was born in raised in Italy. I think I may need to get my family to use this recipe at the next family gathering and do a little comparison (hee hee)!

Fun stuff...I wish I had more time and could get a little further than June 7th. *sigh* More tomorrow. Oh, Celtics/Lakers play off game 3 just started - Go Celtics! (Sorry Jake - ha ha)! :-)

Jake Fan said...

Does anyone know what happened to Boo-Radley, Jake's little doggie?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all!

Hi there Julia! It was so funny. And that was one of my little jokes - Jake's English accents is dubbed into German in the clip in the video - it's the way I tell them ;)

Hi Leslie! ooh yes do have a go at Jake's veggiemeat balls!

Just keep going, BBMISwear :-) There are sooo many fun things awaiting you. You must definitely do some experimenting with the meatballs. I myself find similarities with the Mid South Welsh meatball that my grandmother made for me :D

Hi Jake Fan - noone knows for sure but there were rumours of a coyote... A Jake Mystery :D

Have a good day! I'm seeing senior royalty later. I hope they behave themselves. My hayfever is much better too :D

Carol said...

I love those Dastan Jr. interviews:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Carol! Me too :D

New post as new piccies!

Anonymous said...

Glücklicherweise ist der Sohn von Prinz von Persia eine harmlose verrückt!

Thankfully, the son of Prince of Persia is a harmless crazy!