Wednesday 2 June 2010

Prince of Persia London premiere revisited Part 1 and Jake Gyllenhaal: 'movies are like notes on a piano'

A short time ago, a half-hour special on Prince of Persia and the London premiere was screened on TV in the UK. There have been no end of technical glitches getting this in a state ready to show here, so I thought I'd do it in parts. That way I might get tonight's post out tonight and not in 4 weeks. Today here are parts 1 and 2. Fortunately, you'll be relieved to here there is very little me in this one - I'll put out a warning before that part. But there is plenty of Jake Gyllenhaal.




Today, People published this sighting of Jake from over the holiday weekend: 'After a whirlwind week promoting his new movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Jake Gyllenhaal was in the mood to kick back. The actor started his weekend with a big night out at L.A.'s Trousdale Lounge, where he sat in the back room sipping vodka along with a large group of friends. Later, he was spotted at Lamill Coffee Boutique in Silver Lake twice – first for a steak and eggs brunch with a couple and their little girl, then again for a Memorial Day breakfast after riding his motorcycle. During the brunch, the actor "seemed to enjoy playing with the couple's daughter," an onlooker says.'

Jake Gyllenhaal on a motorbike?! How my biking chick eyes light up at that as I reach for my bright yellow helmet.

I must thank reader MMK for posting this wonderful Dastan montage on the WDW Facebook page. Thank you!



I'm probably not alone in enjoying more than my share of Mini Prince Jake Dastans. I have keyrings and various Lego Jakes (shirted and unshirted) on horses and ostriches. But what I don't have and - to be fair - may never have - is a $300 Dastan statue. But here he is... Nice boots.




The Miami Herald (edited by Jake's uncle Anders, of course) has published a phone interview with Jake and there is a classic piece of incomprehensible but loveable GyllenSpeak: '"I was brought up thinking that movies were very serious and this and that. I don't believe that anymore. After working with Jerry, it's a sense as if movies are like notes on a piano. There are major chords, minor chords, unresolved cadences, and major chords with resolved cadences. There are so many different ways of making films, and he knows how to have his audience [enjoy] an incredibly good time. He brings out the best in the people who are working for him." Gyllenhaal says he told Bruckheimer: I want to do [Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time] because I want to have a good time. I'm tired of taking myself so seriously. He said: 'Welcome.''


'"I think it's always a toss-up between free will and destiny," said Gyllenhaal. "I'm really starting to sense that destiny definitely does exist. A lot of it is about just trusting that you are where you're supposed to be... From the very beginning of the movie, the character that I play, Dastan, always follows his heart... That leads him to great places. It leads him to have great fun. It leads him to enjoy his life and what happens even when he's in difficult situations."' Much more here.


Pictures with big thanks from MMK and IHJ.

19 comments:

paulh said...

That's a great colelction of pictures, WDW. I think Jake is definitely where he's supposed to be. I look forward to seeing the comic side of Jake in the next few months.

I wonder about the motorcycle angle. Might Jake be practicing for the Joe namath movie?
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9904E2D61F38EE34BC4D52DFB667838B669EDE

Anonymous said...

a motorcycle? We've never seen Jake on a motorcycle, bike yeah, skateboard, yeah, horses yeah, but motorcycle. I wish there were pics

thanks for the post

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Thanks, I'm glad you like the pictures. You're link leads to a logon page, but that's a very interesting thought - as this would be something new for Jake.

Me too, Sweetpea.

Thanks MMK for the lovely collage!

Anonymous said...

Wo, I did a double take when I read about the motorcycle. We need pics! I really like the idea of Jake on a motorcycle and that surprises me, I'm in no way a biking chick. Maybe it's because of that sexy black and white pic of Jake leaning on a bike that I've seen so many times. Or could it be that I'm intrigued by the idea of bad boy Jake? Mmmm... :D

That Dastan statue has great costume details but there's something off with the face. And 300$? That's a lot of money!

LOL at the piano gyllenbabble! Didn't Jake talk about unresolved cadence during Zodiac promo?

Olympia

Jake Fan said...

"Dastan statue'

If I'm real good maybe Santa will leave it under my tree this year or at least Jake for a day.


I read the motorcycle bit this morning, to be honest it kind of scared me. Jake has that "danger" thing going on about him.

I hope POP has some strong legs this weekend in the states.

Linda said...

Hi! you always do a great job :)
that's all I have to say
hope you're having a good time.

Carol said...

Great pics on tonight's post WDW:)

I saw that sighting on People today too. Wish there was a pic aswell.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia :D Bad Boy Jake - hmmm - I like the sound of that! Jake seems to like talking about cadence - they bring it up a lot during my spin classes so maybe he's being inspired by cycling too :D

Hey Jake Fan! I know what you mean - I've been on bikes for years and they can scare me, so I do worry about Jake. But it is so much fun - especially in California.

Thanks so much, Linda!

Hi Carol! Ooh, you're looking good!

Monica said...

Motorcycle? hum...
I hope it's a Ducati!

This reminds me of Heath with a motorcycle! He is so sexy in those photos!

Wet Dark, I will send a video of an interview with Jake for a Brazilian website.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh Ducati! Hi Monica! Thanks very much for the email and the link *) I'll put that in tomorrow's post.

Leslie said...

Hello!!!

Wow those pics are great!

I saw the bit on People about Jake on a motorcycle I was really hoping for some pics. Maybe we'll get some soon!

The Dastan statue is amazing but is it just me or does he seem aged a bit? Either way it's pretty cool!

paulh said...

Sorry, the link I posted was about a movie in which Joe Namath played a motorcycle rider. Maybe he is/was a rider in his spare time.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! Beautiful day out there :)

Hi Leslie :D He does look a little weathered, but I do love the costume details.

Morning Paul! That's interesting. I hope we find out more.

Have a good day!

Zodiac said...

Hi WDW! I have finally seen both Prince of Persia and Brothers. I liked Prince but I expected more from Brothers. Anyway, I'm happy that Jake and the film are doing well.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Zodiac! Great to see you, my friend! Glad to hear you saw the movies - I agree with you about both. Hope things are good with you *)

Carol said...

Just had a chance to watch the premiere special clips now . I don't have Sky and never got to watch it at my Mum's place.

Thanks for posting WDW:)

I can't get that motorbike image out of my head since I read about that sighting yesterday. I badly want to see a pic!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! I'm glad you liked them. That's just the first bit, I have four more bits of it to post, which I'll do over the next day or two. I know, I want pics too!

Expo rollup banners said...

Hey Jake Fan! I know what you mean - I've been on bikes for years and they can scare me, so I do worry about Jake. But it is so much fun - especially in California.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Expo! It most certainly is - I have a dream to bike across Californian - done it in a car but a bike would be much more fun :D