Monday 28 June 2010

Updated: Jake out for a Mexican. A smiley Jake Gyllenhaal back at the gym (27 June 2010) and the desert pulse of Prince of Persia

Updated: On 25 June Jake Gyllenhaal went out to dinner at that well-known restaurant Road Construction Ahead - aka Red O, a recently-opened Mexican on Melrose Avenue. Please note how I've not noticed the mark on Jake's shoe but I am enjoying the return of the Zippy Jacket. Thanks to IHJ for the new pics!





Proving yet again that there is absolutely no need for me to go to the gym as long as Jake Gyllenhaal does it for me, Jake was back working out in Studio City yesterday (27 June). This time, accessories included the old sunglasses, a Texan hat, a big smile and a Loomstate shirt, always a favourite with Jake. Smiles are well deserved as Prince of Persia has now taken more than $300 million at the international box office.





Loomstate combines organic products, green awareness and a nifty, attractive design (I should be on one of those shopping channels), such as these dancing horses. I'm sure many of us remember the Power to the People shirt from Paris in 2008, or the lung shirt.



Acting to a beat

Jake Gyllenhaal's films are not only outstanding for their acting, many of them also stand out for the quality of their soundtracks. Brokeback Mountain, of course, won an Oscar for its composer Gustavo Santaolalla, while Jarhead and Brothers shared a composer with Thomas Newman. I can quite happily while away more than a few bus journeys listening to The Day After Tomorrow tunes while BBMISwear and I drove round Massachusetts to the beat of Moonlight Mile. And have I mentioned Donnie Darko? That soundtrack transports me back to my twenties, and then there's Zodiac. The opening sequence of that film to Santana's Soul Sacrifice - amazing. And it also reminds me of Jake Gyllenhaal and David Fincher's first steps onto that pristine red carpet at Cannes.



While, for me, there is nothing quite like the sounds of Zodiac, Moonlight Mile and Donnie Darko, the Prince of Persia score by Harry Gregson-Williams has been a constant companion for me over the last month. Harry may be the composer of the new Shrek movie but he knows a thing or two about recreating an epic desert feast of romantic sand-swirling, fabric-flapping, chest-baring, ostrich-racing, sandglass-smashing, uncle-bashing, fortress-storming, knife-throwing, smashing action. And Alanis Morisette isn't bad either.



Having spent a few weeks listening to my downloaded (and paid for) version, I've now resorted to last century technology and bought The CD, hence the scans. Without doubt, Prince of Persia is my favourite track, containing a little bit of all of the rest, with everything else close behind.


During these hot summer days, you could do far worse than immerse yourself in the sounds of Prince of Persia. You can catch a little piece of studio action at the end of this behind the scenes video. More here.


Pictures with thanks from IHJ and JJ. Scans by WDW.

19 comments:

Linda said...

Looking good and sexy as always :)
I love him! lol
I'm so Glad PoP is a big success!
I bought the soundtrack cd of PoP too and i love it! but actually my favorite is Brokeback Mountain! forever.. I think I listen to it at least one time at a day.
have a sweet day :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Linda! Doesn't he look great?! I'm glad to hear you have the PoP soundtrack too and the wonder of these soundtracks is that there is so much to everyone.

I bet a lot of people would put the BBM one first. I remember when I first saw the film a lifetime ago I played nothing else for months. But that was a lot to do with pain and recovery, now I hear the Zodiac soundtrack and I feel tingles down my spine. But so many of these songs for me have connotations outside the films. Love them! Lots of memories.

Linda said...

awww I know !
there's a lot of feelings in every song, as in every movie.
I'm Glad you enjoy them :)
and yes.. he looks great! <3

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about Pop's success! I need to treat myself to a second viewing, so I can savor all of the details again.

I'm going to get the soundtrack too. Prince of Persia, the first track? is my favorite too, and I love I Remain. I got chills again reading the lyrics and hearing the song in my mind. I played the BBM soundtrack for the longest time as well.

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

There really is, Linda :D

Good to see you, Bertie! Yes, the first track - I love it. I can't believe how much I play it actually. Big drama and high romance. But so many tracks are good - I like Destiny, Tamina Unveiled and the attack tracks. And I adore I REmain :D The words are amazing. I was hoping to see PoP again this weekend but I couldn't but I do want to see it again before it leaves the theatres.

The BBM soundtrack is so close to us! I've not listened to it now for quite a while - but give me The Maker Makes anytime and I'm in pieces. But generally that's not an easy album for me now. Music, so powerful :)

TD said...

Lovely post WDW. Had not quite realised how consistently good Jake's movies soundtracks have been. Another amazing thing about his 'ouvre' (never thought I would actually use that word :D ).

I love those BTS clips. Had not watched them before, not wanting to spoilerify the film, but am now loving them. They do slightly remind me how silly acting must be to do sometimes though. It must be really difficult to maintain the emoting over a dagger, sometimes. Lol!

TD

Anonymous said...

PS I absolutely love that T shirt he's wearing. If John Skeaping had done Tshirts, they might have looked like that.
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, TD! And it is true, Jake has a lovely ouvre :D I've enjoyed the behind the scene clips a lot since I saw the film. Love the t-shirt. I have a couple of these and I just love them, although they look decidedly better on Jake :D

They always make me think of Zodiac (a good friend here), as we both bought the Power to the People shirt :D

I've updated the post as Jake goes out for a Mexican (25 June).

TD again said...

Ooooh exciting update! Is that his agent? So sweet how Jake always looks at his most 'concerned' when he's being protective of those he is with, when the paps hit. That Paris photo reminded me. You could even see it slightly in his body language with Marcus Mumford and the coffee, the other day.

The 'lung' t shirt photo though unfortunately always reminds me of Heath's death - wasn't that photo taken just about a week later? Nice T shirt though!
TD

Linda said...

OMG does he like mexican food??
I'm about to die. :D

TD said...

Maybe they're twins,those two ninnies watching, wearing the same hats and shoes! They look like whitewashed Blues Brothers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for identifying the shirt that Jake is wearing. So he likes to wear organic clothes. We know he is environmentally sensitive. Gotta love him (not that we don't already)

I was watching the SNL ep he was on and it just cracked me up all over again. He has to do comedies. I think LAOD is supposed to be a comedy?

I'm not into Mexican food but I'd love to have sat next to him.

thanks for all you do WDW

sweetpea

BBMISwear said...

Love the new pics, the t-shirt recap and the soundtrack memories! I still need to get the PoP soundtrack (it's on the to-do-list). Oh that Moonlight Mile Soundtrack - you know how I love that one (and what wonderful memories, WDW, riding around the Moonlight Mile locations while we listened to that). Sigh. And don't even get me started on the BBM soundtrack - oh the emotions.

Hope we get more pictures as the week goes on. Until next time...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I went to the loomstate site and couldn't find that t shirt with the horses on it. I also wonder if the shirt chris is wearing is also from that company?

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all!

Hi TD again :D Jake always looks protective and - dareIsay - adorable! The lung t-shirt is lovely - blue suits Jake. It dates from February 2008.

Yeay! Lovely matching hats :D

Hi Linda! I remember when Jake was filming Brothers he was seen eating Mexican. Gotta say, it's one of my most favourite types of food.

Hi Sweetpea :) Jake does seem to have awardrobe full of organic, ethical or good-cause clothes, and I do love him for it. He's aware of his celebrity and I think he knows how to use it for a good cause.

LAOD is a drama comedy so yes, a chance to see some of those SNL talents again.

Loomstate do different shirts for a very short period of time but the giveaway is the L on the sleeve. I love their Power to the People range - I have a great green long sleeved shirt with fish eating a shark :D

Morning BBMISwear :-) Nothing like those memories of driving round the Moonlight Mile sites with you and that soundtrack pounding out. What an incredible trip.

So lovely to have all these pictures :D

Have a good day everyone!

Monica said...

The soundtrack of POP is very good and I like the song by Alanis.
These scans are wonderful!
The only soundtrack I've got is Brokeback Mountain. It comes with my favorite picture of BBM.
That's when it became my favorite photo!

POP is still a success in Brazil. Ranks second, after Toy Story!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! I hope for a sequel - I'll bet that now that the moviegoing public has been introduced to the characters of PoP, there will be. Hooray! It really is a great story and beautiful time period.

Anonymous said...

If Jake Gyllenhaal had the eyes of Super Man, he would killed the Paparazzi which took this photos! It was terrible!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! I'm glad you enjoy the soundtrack too - and yes, the BBM one is very special. Those first notes... That's great news about PoP in Brazil!

Hi there 14:46 :D I definitely think that the big success of PoP around the world is good cause for a sequel. I definitely want to see more of the Prince - a great character and so likeable.

Hi 20:29 :) I've gotta say, though, Jake looks pretty great :D