Sunday 29 August 2010

Disney's PoP DVD promotion continues and Mike Newell on Jake Gyllenhaal: 'a devastating emotional actor'

Disney's promotion of the DVD and Bu-Ray release of Prince of Persia continues - making me wonder once more that the abundance of videos and behind the scenes snippets they've given us over the last year is the reason why there aren't many extras on the DVD. There can't be much left.... except for that gag reel? The video of Jake Gyllenhaal from the last post was just the latest in a series of featurettes released by Disney this month. Many thanks to Monica for the heads up!








In the videos you will not only enjoy Jake and Gemma Arterton, you will also find the gorgeous Toby Kebbell and Gisli Orn Gardarsson talking about their characters - in Toby's case: throwing Jake around the set.



Tamara Drew is about to hit the theatres and in this, of course, Gemma Arterton leads. Its release on 10 September in the UK coincides with the Prince of Persia DVD and so she has been speaking a little more about the film: '“The whole scale of Prince of Persia was out of this world. When we were in Marrakesh before we started filming they took me to visit the set for the kingdom where my character, Tamina, lives. It was unbelievable. There were streets you could walk around and palaces and fortresses and market squares. And I was thinking, ‘I’m playing the princess of this place, just little old me’. It’s humbling because after everybody’s done all this work, you think, well, now I really have to come up with the goods. The princess is a bit of a tomboy sometimes, and she even has to pretend to be a sort of fictional 6th century cocktail waitress at one point. I’ve also got some great costumes with henna tattoos and jewels in my hair and things like that. I’m the only girl in the film, so I have to try to look good.”'



'When told she had the part, she said: “It was surreal. I just sat there on my bed not quite taking it in. It’s weird to think you’re going to be a princess.” And she gets to kiss Gyllenhaal, saying: “My friends were always asking if I kiss him. And I say, ‘Yes, I do, so there!’ They’re all wildly jealous.”'



Back in the days of Rock'n'Rolla, Toby Kebbell talked to Little White Lies about his new project: 'I’m doing Prince of Persia, playing a Prince of Persia, head of the Persian army and I’ve got a brother who’s going to be the future king if our father dies. Then there’s Jake Gyllenhaal who’s the Prince of Persia (from the title). It’s great. We’re shooting in Morocco and it’s hot and continuous days. I’m in a full set of armour it’s tough, but it’s great too. I get to learn to ride a horse, it’s phenomenal. It’s the hardest work I’ve done – that’s like moaning about my diamond shoes being too tight – but it’s great fun to do. I do all the things you wanted to do as a kid – wear armour, scream around the place and so on. I’m loving it really.'



Richard Coyle, who, in the words of Jonathan Ross alone, played the other ugly brother (Tus), talked about how the pressure was all on Jake her: 'The pressure off aspect is clearly a part because I’m part of an ensemble behind Jake Gyllenhaal really. I just get behind his huge frame. No, it’s pressure off because it’s Jake’s thing but also to be honest the movie is the star of the movie. What I try to do, whatever I’m going into whether it’s a piece of TV or a film or a play, it’s very important to me to get the tone right, to know the tone that I’m going into. So I spent a lot of the time getting my head around that. Once I’d nailed the tone I knew that the movie was going to be the star of the movie, and Jake Gyllenhaal, obviously, and it did take the pressure of. But also it was a challenge – It’s an opportunity for me to make an impact so there’s a pressure that you put on yourself in a way, in that sense. But the whole question of pressure and who’s the star of the movie is a fallacy because these films are all about big business; it’s a big, huge business juggernaut and you’ve all got to come up with the goods – you’ve got to do the business. So there is a pressure regardless.'



To finish with the words of director Mike Newell about his star: 'I thought Jake was perfect for the main role from the very beginning because he is such a devastating emotional actor. He is so open and available, especially in movies like Brokeback Mountain. I’d actually known Jake since he was a little boy. I knew his parents very well and I had worked with his sister, so I kept my eye on him growing up. I knew he had a wonderful sense of humour and he’s got a zany laugh. I also thought he looked right for the role. He’s not a royal-looking guy, but a street kid in the wrong costume. I thought that would be a great thing to have in the film.'



Here is a link to the entire playlist.

If you want to see more of Gisli, here is an interview with him on the PoP set:



And some Toby while I'm about it:

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful clips, WDW, I have to wonder what extras we'll see.

Has there been any word if they'll be a sequel?

or are they going to wait until the DVD sales figures come in?

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sweetpea! No word yet, although I sometimes wonder if the muscles that Jake has rediscovered may be a clue. I do hope though. I'd love to meet Dastan again :)

mermon said...

It's so much to watch tonight. I have big smile on my face seeing all those clips. I like the picture of Tamina and Dastan wearing modern sunglasses. :)
I like the words Mike Newell said about Jake. It's amazing how Jake makes impression on people. Mike was watching-observing him since his childhood!
And Gisli is an interesting person, he was very good as a Hassansins leader.

LadyEkster said...

I know I keep writing this in almost every comment thread, but I can’t help it: what a treat!! :-)

I laughed out loud at Jake in Dastan outfit with the aviators on in the 2nd vid, and I got particularly dirty-minded during the 1st. But they are all great. This makes it a bit more bearable for me that I'll have to make do with the dvd. *clears throat and shouts out an entirely illegal but emotional plea to everyone to please upload the behind the scenes stuff somewhere* ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dastan in aviators - A M A Z I N G
:) :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! It's great, isn't it, the impression Jake makes on people. Annd it's a similar story for Jake and David O Russell (said with fingers crossed that we see Nailed).

Hey Lady Ekster! I don't have Blu-Ray capabilities either (trying to work a way round that) but I don't think you or I need worry. We'll sort something out :)

Hot, eh? Lena!

LadyEkster said...

@Lena: If we ever get a sequel (I doubt it, but a girl can dream ;)) we should request a scene for Aviator Dastan! He definitely looks good in them.

@WDW: thanks, that would be wonderful. :) I've spent several hours trying to find either a HD tv + bluray player or an external bluray drive for my laptop, but there's nothing within student loan limits, bugger.

Off to watch those fantastic vids again... *cloud nine*

BR said...

*kicks a few stones along the ground*

Still mourning that beard...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too, Lady Ekster - it's very frustrating. But I have a plan and I'm not giving up so don't worry :)

Hey BR! At least the beard can't be grown forever - it has to be shaved off sometime soon, surely?!

Sasha said...

haha everytime a co-star is going to kiss Jake their friends go all mad .......... looool


completely off topic but when I saw this I had to give you the link WDW - it reminded me instantly of your nice pics
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/countries/wales-united-kingdom-photos/?source=link_tw08282010c#/wales-whitesand-beach_3265_600x450.jpg
(what a long link)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh Sasha! That is a great and deservedly long link that goes to one of my favourite places on the entire planet. I love Cornwall, but you have to go a long, long way to beat Pembrokeshire. I've spent many happy weeks there over the years - once rescuing seabirds that were blown in on a storm - it's so beautiful and the history is incredible. Just don't set Mr WDW off about the Bishop's Palace at St David's! Thanks for that link! Gave me a big smile :)

mermon said...

Yes, Gemma had so many jealous friends and all she could say about Jake kissing her it was " He was ok" (or He was all right, I don't remember).
She should say something more.:) Though this kissing scene was sooo short.

BR said...

No no, I like the beard. I want the beard. MORE BEARD, I say.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think that's just British understatement, Mermon! I think she enjoyed herself :D

Ahhh, BR! I see... Jake! If you've shaved it off - stick it back on.

mermon said...

WDW said:"I think that's just British understatement. I think she enjoyed herself :D"

Probably she did. They were teasing each other during the movie so I suppose when they kissed at last - they felt relief. And I don't mean Tamina and Dastan but Gemma and Jake. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think Jake and Gemma had a lot of fun on set, mermon :)

If anyone's interested written my personal response to seeing Scott Pilgrim on MB

Anonymous said...

Smoking, WDW, he's smoking ;)

LadyEkster - rocking idea! In fact, Dastan should do a commercial, I bet those glasses would fly off shelves everywhere! Ray Ban, what are you waiting for??

Abby14 said...

WDW,
Oh I never thought about that. That truly might be why he's been at the gym a lot. Trying to get back all that muscles.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! A beautiful Holiday Monday here - with commiserations to all those who have to work. Not good thinking this is our last holiday until Christmas over here...

Hey Lena! Jake'd make a great model for sunglasses - they'd have to zoom in on those eyes...

Welcome back, Abby! I'm very glad you posted again. Jake has most definitely put quite a bit of that muscle back on. It's hard to think all that hard work was just eprsonally motivated. A pleasant thought, anyway :D

Have a good day everyone!