Friday 4 February 2011

Spooky Post of Horror - Stephen King, Jake Gyllenhaal cut in half by Duncan Jones and... Chekhov

Take heed all those who seek to cross the threshold and enter deep within the ivy-clad and ruined walls of this Scary Post. I've done my best to exorcise the post of bats and spiders and snakes but you never know - likely some may still lurk in the foggy stench. Ready to swoop as only a bat and spider and snake can... So, forewarned, pull up a dusty chair to the spitting red flame in the stone hearth and listen, my brave friends, to the Scary Post... If you dare!


I have been to Salem (not to be confused with a Winter Olympics ski event) and so I consider myself extraordinarily qualified to write this post. I have stood inside the black wooden houses of witches and lived to tell the tale and drink the beer and eat a rather nice Caesar Salad. Therefore, when the master of horror, Stephen King, admitted this week that he would like Jake Gyllenhaal to play Stu in the remake of The Stand, my heart did a little lurch. Not an entirely pleasant feeling, but then we're talking horror here. And horror is not something we have yet to see on Jake's filmsheet. A little tingle here and there courtesy of Donnie Darko and Zodiac, but no shrieking, entrails-wrenching, red-blooded horror, such as we would get courtesy of The Stand. Personally, I'm still recovering from the original version...


However, before we get too over the full moon about this, there are a couple of points to note. Jake is actually Stephen King's runner-up - Gary Senise, who played the role originally gets top favour. Secondly, King knows absolutely nothing about this film version except what he's read on the internet. In that case, our opinion is almost as valid and I too welcome the idea of hiding behind my sofa (if I had a sofa, which I don't) to see Jake battle all sorts of supernatural and post-death ghouls. But not clowns - never, clowns.


But the terror does not stop there. The Montreal Gazette has an interview with Adrien Morot today and the interview begins like this... 'The door opens and there to greet visitors is the actor Jake Gyllenhaal. Half of him, anyway. He has been severed below the waist. Rather crudely at that, if his bloodied entrails are any indication. He’s also missing his hands. But his face is perfectly intact, and his beard is nicely trimmed. He even seems at peace with the world.'

'It takes a few seconds to realize that this is not what’s left of the Brokeback Mountain star, but is actually a near flawless, though partial, Gyllenhaal facsimile, made of clay, acetone, silicone, putty, resins and one dreads to know what else. As entrances go, the vestibule area to Adrien Morot’s workshop is sweet, in a class all its own. And that’s nothing compared to what beckons inside his 3,000-square-foot studio – which even master of the macabre Stephen King might find unsettling. In fact, the former, somewhat rundown manufacturing plant in Mile End in which Morot’s workshop is located could pass for the set of a horror flick.'


And it goes on: 'Morot is a makeup effects artist. The key and defining word here is “effects.” He doesn’t merely smear foundation on the faces of actors who need all the polishing up they can get. Morot replicates both critters and humanoids from the feet up, save in instances like his severed Gyllenhaal creation, which he did for the coming Montreal-made flick Source Code. He also performs makeup-effects miracles on living actors like Giamatti, whose Barney, through facial prosthetics, was able to age from his early 30s to his late 60s over the course of the film.'

Yes, my spooked friends, Duncan Jones cuts Jake Gyllenhaal in half in Source Code.

Gulp.



But the horror doesn't even end there, in the bloody Colter guts. There is more. But hold on to the edge of your cobweb drenched armchair because it doesn't get much more scary than this. Last night, Jake Gyllenhaal went to see a Chekhov play!

Having seen several Chekhov plays in my time, I applaud Jake's bravery in sitting through a couple of hours that may indeed have felt like a long drawn-out suffering apocalyptic end to life. Maggie and Peter (who seem unable to dispel the evil Chekhov charm and return to his plays year after year) no doubt made it easier for Jake. Carey, another Chekhov victim, was also sucked in. But to get over it, Jake took Peter and his moustaches out for dinner.

Unfortunately they couldn't get in because a private party was on.


Includes pictures with thanks from ManMadeMovies, IHJ and PoPSugar.

My review of Sanctum 3D is now up at MovieBrit!

18 comments:

mermon said...

Thank you for that funny post, WDW. Well, I don't know St. King's "The Stand", I've never watched it or read it, but Jake and horror it would be something absolutely new. I can see, we become a bit desperate for any new movie for Jake, we hold on to even such a slightly chance, like King's suggestion.

MrsJakobGyllenhaal said...

What worries me more, Mermon, is that Jake gets cut in half in Source Code.
I hope it's one of those Inception things where dying has you waking up.

But other than that, it was a funny post, WDW.

mermon said...

@MrsJakobGyllenhaal
:) If they made it of clay, acetone etc. at least we may be calm, that Jake didn't suffer too much for the sake of the movie. But this thing makes me wonder how that movie will end. I hope they didn't kill him.
Jake died in Donnie Darko, in Brokeback Mountain - that's enough. I hope you're right and he wakes up in one piece and healthy.
I think his real body is in that special chamber and in the train is his virtual body, like in Matrix.

BBMISwear said...

This post was too scary to read - seriously! I only skimmed it because I hated the sounds of things like Jake being severed below the waist - horrible thought - horrible!!

When I saw the Stephen King article today I was happy to see that this doesn't sound like it's really happening (sorry horror fans but I just can't deal with s*#t like that)! Side note: Stephen King was so impressed with the hospital that took care of him when he got hit by a car near our secondary place in Maine that he donated a gazillion dollars and now the hospital is very state of the art - which works out nicely when various family members have to go there after skiing, snow mobile and fire pit injuries - don't ask).

Anyway, even though I was freaked out through most of this post I was LMAO at the horrible photo I took of WDW in front of the big scary witch house! I remember tying to do a nice close up and got a bit "No, no, get a good picture of the HOUSW"! I didn't get the excitement but played along (and the salads and beers after were great - especially the beers)!

Oh, BTW, I saw that comment about your Yankees hat yesterday, WDW, and I have to say:
A) I know you have a Yankees hat *rolls eyes*
B) I also know you had a Red Sox hat straight from legendary Fenway Park as well
C) I know you lost your Red Sox hat but got another one from a friend to replace it.

All this said, I'd like to add that Jake and I prefer to wear Red Sox caps. Maybe you'll lose your Yankees cap one day. :-)

Great memories WDW - but no more scary posts please!!!

:-)

Darling Bluebell said...

That was such a great intro, WDW. :) And the perfect post for a weekend in which the wind is hauling around the house at maximum volume. Brrrr...

So Jake gets cut in half in Source Code and there is the possibility of Jake in a Stephen King story... And here I am, battling my fear of Zodiac. Nice move Jake, very nice. Give me another ten years and I might be able to think about the idea without shivering.

Alejandra said...

Hello, WDW and WDW readers. I think I haven't commented since... Wales. I finally saw Love and Other Drugs this week. My friend cried, I didn't (I was too happy :-)). And I left thinking I need to find the best theater for Source Code. I'll have to ask around. :-)

I'll see Jake in anything he does: comedy, horror, whatever. Just keep the films coming!

Margot said...

Great and very funny post, WDW!

I will see Jake in anything.
I trust Jake that IF this whole "The Stand" thing does happen (which, I know, is far-fetched) that IF Jake does sign on, it's safe to say that he's proud of the film and script and wants to be in it and I trust his judgement that it will be a great film - he hasn't failed me yet as a moviegoer.

I also LOVE that Jake & Maggie's momma (Naomi Foner) was at the opening night of 'Three Sisters' as well! It's fun to see the family out and about (forgive me for sounding stalker-ish!).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! I could live with scary Jake :D Although Jake's character dies every 8 minutes in SC, I'm sure it doesn't end in the way we expect.

The good thing is, Mrs JG, that I bet Jake spends more time in one piece in SC than he does in two halves and so I'll take comfort from that :)

Ah! The Keeper of the Hats, BBMISwear :-) I love that pic of me that you took - you know how keen I was to go to spooky Stephen King territory and I loved Salem - and the beer was great. That was such a good day! And that's good news about the hospital - hope you don't have to go there too often... Those houses are so scary in Salem! I'll try and fir in a creepy scary post at regular intervals :D

The wind's battling round here too Lady Ekster! Hurricane speeds in the north - mere galeforce here. Yep after Cut in Half Jake, Zodiac will be a breeze :D

Good to see you Alejandro! So glad you enjoyed LAOD! And yep - me too. Except gangster movies, so please don't do one of those, Jake...

Hi Margot! It's great to think of the family supporting Maggie and Peter for the play :) And yes, in the very unlikely event that Jake is in The Stand he'll do good by it. But more than that I love to hear that Stephen King can see him as one of the characters in his books - love that!

TD said...

Without his HANDS?!!? Oh God!

TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Indeed, TD - handless and in two...

TD said...

But, but, but...his hands! :( *sobbing* Duncan Jones is a cruel man.
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

We may have to have words with him...

Anonymous said...

Great post, WDW, hilariously scary!! As much as I hate the thought of having to endure seeing Colter Stevens cut in half and missing his hands (he looks so much like Jake), it sounds like Source Code is going to be excellent in every area.

I saw that interview with Stephen King and immediately decided that I have to re-read The Stand and envision Jake as that character - not nearly as good as having him actually in the role in a remake, but possibly enough to get me through until Source Code debuts.

BTW, what's wrong with gangster movies? I wouldn't want to see Jake in a lousy second-rate anything, but a really good gangster movie would be excellent. Jake could have replaced Christian Bale in Public Enemies and it would have been an even better movie. He could have replaced Johnny Depp as well, come to think of it...

Susan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Susan! Glad you enjoyed it :D I do like having a laugh - even at the expense of Colter cut in two. I read the Stand years ago - I do like classic Stephen King and, you're right, seeing how King can imagine Jake in that role makes me want to read it again too.

I suppose we all have a genre that we just can't do and for me it's gangster movies. Never liked them, I expect I never will. The only one I can sit through is Bugsy Malone :D

Hope everyone's having a good Saturday! I'm having a peaceful one today :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I appear to have scared everyone off!

My review of Sanctum 3D is now up at MovieBrit!

mermon said...

Wow! I just have seen first time on my TV a LAOD trailer. They promote it as a Valentine Day's movie.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That's great mermon! Over here the Valentine movie is Paul :D Not that I do Valentine's, on principle...

paulh said...

I love Bugsy Malone" too, WDW. Another funny gangster movie that you might like is "Johnny Dangerously." Dom De Luise plays the Pope in that one, and the dialogue is hysterically funny. :-)

The death of a character, if done well, can make a movie better. If done poorly (I think of Jack Nicholson's bloody fiasco in "The departed), it detracts. Maybe it's done well in "Source Code." I'll wait to find out...