Saturday 30 April 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal hangs on to Mumford and Sons in New Orleans and heads over to Memphis. And a WDW Interlude...

Mumford and Sons' Railroad Revival Tour may be over but the band's basketball playing, trumpeting mascot, Jake Gyllenhaal, is not that easy to shake off. Last night the band played at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and Jake was there to support them. Jake was seen backstage during the Avett Brothers set making sure that one Mumford and Son at least (Winston Marshall) couldn't make a getaway.


Jake's attempts to pass himself off as his 'Mum' fooled no-one.


Earlier in the day tweets put Jake on a boat tour of New Orleans, which means that it's quite possible that Jake did not watch the Royal Wedding yesterday. Nor did Brit Band Mumford and Sons engage with Jake in those two well-known sports that generally accompany Royal Weddings in Blighty (or at least within two square miles of it) duck racing and bun throwing (or was that duck throwing and bun racing...?). I've been assured that you don't have to eat the buns afterwards. Not so sure about the ducks.


But back to Jake. All this fresh air, touring and loud music is having the wonderful side-effect of making Jake's hair grow as well as his beard. He's now approaching that stage where his whole head has the same hair growth.


And the tweets and facebook sightings are already pouring in that Jake and Mumford and Sons - or, as they're now known, Mumford and Jake - are now in a town with a few musical connections, Memphis. Jake has been spotted taking part in his favourite activities of drinking coffee and pottering around a farmer's market. Tonight, the Memphis Music Fest takes place and I'd say that it's 99.95% certain that Jake will be in the wings at least to watch his new adopted band on stage. Of course, this does mean that he will have to let go of Winston, whether Winston wants him to or not. Now there's a man with hair for both of them.


The lovely pics are from IHJ.

Source Code in India

Yesterday we had a video from Italy to mark the release of Source Code there. The film also opened in India on 29 April and here is a video from CNN-IBN to mark the occasion.



A WDW Wildlife Interlude

Today was warm and sunny and this is my favourite time of year. And so I headed off to somewhere I visit a lot at this time, Cotswold Wildlife Park. The flowers were blooming, the animals were sleeping, but then they woke up (except for the sloth). It's a fine setting and the animals come in all shapes and sizes although it is true indeed that put them all in front of a child and they won't give a monkeys if there's a baby duck around. Fortunately, there were some of those as well. Not to mention the baby lemurs.







Before...


After.


Last year, I watched the ostriches care for their nest of many eggs. Now some of those eggs have grown up into fine young strapping ostriches. Here are a couple of them. I could swear that one of them reminds me of the third egg from the left, second row up.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report, WDW. Jake is having a blast, he is the 5th mumford :D

and I loved the pics from your interlude. I love animals

sweetpea

mermon said...

Fantastic pictures of Jake and hairy guy :) And great witty post, Kate. Thank you. It looks like Jake has a wonderful vacations time. Full of fun, gathering energy before hard work for End of Watch. He really seems like a regular guy enjoying his favourite band, he doesn't hide, let the pics to be taken, seems to be so relaxed and in good mood.

I enjoyed the animals pics. The ostriches bring memories. How can anyone ride those birds? Are they really the ones from eggs you saw last year? That's fantastic.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sweetpea! Jake is indeed the Fifth Mumford.

Glad you liked it, Mermon! Jake looks to be having a fantastic time, full of energy and fun. The ostriches are the same ones from the eggs - I love that :)

Unknown said...

Ostriches and Jake - what a wonderful theme for a post! But he has to hang out with Mumford and his sons a long time until his hair is back to "ostrich level" aka Dastan.

We haven't seen Jake this relaxed in ages, I guess. Way to go for him!

Thanks for this lovely post!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Mrs JG! One of the things I loved about PoP was that it gave me the opportunity to post about ostriches at any opportunity. I do wish that Jake would do a family entertainment film again - it's a lot of fun for all of us! But Jake does look like he's having a great time and that puts a smile on my face.

Unknown said...

I am the biggest PoP fan ever, so I'd love to see him do something like that again.
But if I had my will I would really love to see him play the bad guy, someone with no morals at all, dark and dirty. I bet he'd blow our minds with that.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Dark and Dirty sounds good :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Looking good, Mrs JG!

Unknown said...

Well thanks, WDW!

Susan said...

Hi Kate! It really is great to see Jake having such fun and making the most of an opportunity to hang out with a great band. I wonder if there may be an element of "research" for some future role amid all the music? I, too, wish that there could be a family entertainment film on his list of upcoming projects.
Thanks for another charming interlude as well. The photos are lovely!

mermon said...

Doesn't he suppose to be at least dirty in Nailed? So maybe we will see him finally in "not so sweet" role.

Good idea Susan, maybe he could play some musician or singer at last?

Unknown said...

Music, singer, research - anybody say "Rock of Ages"?

I'd love to see Jake dirty in Nailed. WDW - is he dirty in that one?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Susan! That would be great if it could be for a role. I think Jake just spontaneously grabbed the moment though :) Thank you!

Definitely a bit dirty, Mrs JG!

Evie said...

I love the photo with Winston Marshall. He is very funny.

BBMISwear said...

I just said the other day how one of your recent posts had me laughing out loud and here you go again - I love your sense of humor WDW so much!! "Making sure that one Mumford and Son at least couldn't make a getaway" - ha ha! I absolutely love this most recent set of photos from the tour. And, yes, the Chia Pet Head is growing nicely.

Great news about Jake's involvement in Born to Run - can't wait to find out what he'll be doing exactly.

Wonderful animal photos WDW - and the ostriches are back! Yay!

Have a good rest of your weekend everyone and I was so glad, like everyone here, to see you and your family are doing okay Susan. Scary times.

Until next time...

:-)

TD said...

Jake'll be as hairy as that whatchamcallit soon - and maybe as dirty, except for the clean white t shirt. Gorgeous pics.

I expect the ducks will be eaten - Martin and Mike both butcher anything that moves and I can't see the Times as having much restraint! (The Times' won the race).

*D

TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! ooh my word is 'splat'...

Hi there Evie and welcome!

Very glad I gave you a laugh, BBMISwear ;-) Gotta say I had a fun time writing this. These pictures are great and Jake is looking fonder and fonder of this band! Yep... never enough ostriches, although they were fighting a bit so they're not in as good a mood this year.

Morning TD! Oh dear.... I'm very glad I'm not a duck. That t-shirt is so crisp and lovely. Jake looks good here - more Jarhead and less EoW. The Times won? oh dear...

Have a great day everyone and it's a special one. Beltane and May Day. It's famously celebrated in Oxford with a choir singing at dawn while thousands watch (in morning suits and long gowns for many) from the bridge below. You can count me out of that one but there will be lots of morris dancing through the streets. It's a beautiful sunny day so it's gonna be lovely :)

Have a wonderful May Day everyone!

Darling Bluebell said...

What a pleasure reading this post while having breakfast. A true holiday feel to it, thank you! :)

Mumford and Jake, haha that was very funny. Seeing him having so much fun makes me smile. Good for you, gorgeous!

Have a great May Day UK'ers! I'm off into the sun, lovely.

Hui said...

I finally saw source code.
It was fantastic!!!
Jake...OMG....I love you!!
And I cried at the end.T_T

Susan said...

Speaking of ostriches... (Now that's a phrase I never expected to use!) We saw Disney's African Cats last night and it was great. There was a segment that featured ostriches and I had to smile, thinking not only of PoP but WDW's curious fondness for them.

African Cats tells the stories of two families, more specifically two mothers facing hardships and challenges while trying to protect, teach, and raise their offspring. It was beautifully filmed, surprisingly emotional, dramatic and absorbing. I think Fang should be nominated for a Best Supporting Lion statuette.

Anonymous said...

now that we were talking about ostriches I hope you don't bring them up to Jake, we know he isn't fond of them :P

sweetpea

mermon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mermon said...

Hi!
There are 3 new pictures on twitter of Jake - stopped by Memphis Farmers Market yesterday for some cinnamon rolls:
Jake

Anonymous said...

What happened to this guy's Gyllenhaal side.
A windmill ran over him.

mermon said...

From twitter - some guy says Jake is sitting next to him on a flight to New York.
I'm not good at twitter, I don't know if it may be trusted.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm so glad you liked it Lady Ekster! I hope you've had a lovely day :D

That's fantastic Hui! It's a great movie, isn't it? I'm sorry you had a longer wait but it sounds like it was worth it.

Ahhh, I like that, Susan :D I do love ostriches - and most birds that don't fly (or don't fly well) and get about in other ways :D African Cats sounds good. I'm such a huge fan of wildlife - along with history, it's the biggest interest in my life.

I like to think they've grown on him, Sweetpea :D

Thanks Mermon - it's probably time for Jake to get back so he can find some more clothes...

I hope everyone has had a good day - I've had a great time with Ruby and Rob. And tomorrow is the May Day holiday - lovely :)