Sunday 24 July 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal covers Australia's GQ and Jake talks Source Code for the DVD US release this week

Jake Gyllenhaal is on the cover of the Australian GQ issue for August and September. Hardly a surprise because this issue celebrates Big Style and if there's one star with more than enough style to go around, it's Jake. It's not a new photoshoot - this one features hair - but it's good to see Jake on the cover. When Jake visited Australia with Anne Hathaway back in those Love and Other Drugs days, I think he left his mark.


This coming week sees the release in the US of the Source Code DVD and blu-ray. We still have three weeks to wait here in the UK but the good news is that Blockbusters will have advance copies of it in their shops on 29 July.


To mark the release, there have been some features on the disc, although not much has been said about the extras. But Home Media Magazine has an interview with Jake, no doubt recorded during the initial publicity for Source Code, and it's a pleasure to 'hear' Jake talking about this wonderful film again.

'“There were a couple alternate versions of the end that everyone was talking about [using],” Gyllenhaal says. “I loved that I didn’t know when I watched the screening how the movie was going to totally end. And also the voiceover and things toward the end, we varied a lot so there was a lot of discussion.”'


'“We shot one day in Chicago, that last scene with The Bean where the camera pulls in. I had all these weird ideas that somebody could appear, something could happen and [director] Duncan [Jones] would always go with these weird ideas I had,” he says. “I’d be like, ‘What if some weird agent showed up?’ He’d be like, ‘Get somebody in a suit. Can we get somebody in a suit? Pull that guy off the street.’ We would do a take like that.”'

'“Every Source Code has an alternate version, and every Source Code initially has a different choice made by me because I get to come in that way,” Gyllenhaal says. “I would give him some humor. He’d want something funny, and then I’d give him the serious version, and he’d be like, ‘Okay, maybe something in between.’ Then he’d ask Michelle [Monaghan] to say something different. He asked me to totally improv it and put the film together after that.”'


'“If we pay attention to our interactions with people, we can see that there’s a cycle to things,” Gyllenhaal says. “This movie seems like, at least philosophically, that idea to me. Every time I would come back into the Source Code, and as an actor, and I think every time the character goes, it’s another chance. Another chance. And it’s about even as you believe things die, they are reborn.”'

A little on the extras: 'Extras on the Blu-ray include commentary with Gyllenhaal, Ripley and director Duncan Jones, and “Access: Source Code,” a viewing mode with scene-specific featurettes. The DVD includes the commentary, a trivia track, cast interviews and science focal points.'


And finally... a WDW Interlude

Today on what was, rather surprisingly, a hot summer's day I took myself off to Blenheim Palace for the annual Game Fair which has nothing to do with the games I like to play and a lot to do with games that I don't -'country sports'. As a veggie, this isn't exactly my kind of thing, but I followed the other 140,000 people who visited the show this weekend to park so far away it wasn't even in the same village as the event. Such was the walk to the fair that nearby residents had left out water for the dogs while vendors helped the walkers on their way with coffees and ice cream. Finally, I made it in and realised that I was going to need a second pair of legs.


I did manage to sit by the lake to read for a little but I seemed to be in the way of the fly fishing judges so, fearing my sandwich might get hooked, I wandered off. There was a pond in which one could practice coarse fishing but this had been adopted by a lot of very hot and soon to be wet and smelly dogs.


Talking of smelly animals.


Fortunately, there were plenty of real ale tents to make up for the lack of veggie nosh, and I made it back home with only a few blisters. Needless to say, I do now look like a big ripe red pepper, such is my sunburn and the rubbishness of my suntan lotion. Luckily, I could spot my car in the massive field because it was the only non 4 wheel drive.




Includes pictures from IHJ, WDW and Australian GQ.

12 comments:

sheba said...

What wonderful news about the extras on the Source Code DVD. Can't wait to get my copy. Of course I had the semi-threaten to hunt Duncan down if he didn't put good extras on the DVD (see what I have to resort to to get a little extra gyllenaction) :D I hope the comentary I'd as fun as his other stints.

Looks like you had a beautiful day out today it was glorious sunshine. I'm off to the seaside Wednesday with good company so I won't get to jealous of your day ;D.

Anonymous said...

Goodness that cover of GQ, reminds me of the American Airlines Magazine cover. IF this man is not tne Next Sexiest Man Alive (in People Magazine), I will be ashamed to be part of the female species because then I will be convinced that all the women that work at People are dumb and or blind.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It's really good news, isn't it, Sheba?! And not too long to wait. I'm particularly looking forward to the commentary. Ooh enjoy the seaside!

Hi 21:52! I can never understand why Jake is never the top choice at People. But one of these days!

Anonymous said...

got the date marked for my DVD :D

Best Buy has a great deal on the DVD.

sweetpea

Carol said...

I love that GQ cover. I agree 21.52 the female staff at People magazine must be blind!!!

I got some nasty sunburn today too so you have my sympathies Kate. Natural yogurt is a good way to bring down the redness.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea :)

Hey Carol! That's a great idea and, ironically, I'm eating a bowl of it right now!

I did a survey of one of my favourite authors, Alex Scarrow, and I'm thrilled to say it's been published at My Favourite Books - I be chuffed!

Love Jakey said...

THe more I look at the GQ cover, the more I am convinced, its from the American Airlines magazine shoot during LAOD promos.

BBMISwear said...

Just caught up on the last couple of posts - thank you WDW! Lots of interesting stuff and the bald photos/discussions made me laugh. I love the fun we all have every time there are new Jake looks to talk about. Hey - it's the little things that keep us amused, right?! LOL!

Can't wait to see those SC extras and listen to the commentary (that Duncan told us would probably happen)! And on the same day the Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary release too! I haven't compared the extras to the original but it sounds like there is a lot of "new" stuff. I also heard about a City Slickers new release - not sure if there is anything "new" that includes Jake that's going to be on that. Wow...Jake on all sorts of DVDs at the moment. Yep, guess I'm gonna drop some cash at Best Buy for sure!!

Until next time...

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Beautiful day... but at work :(

Hi LoveJakey :) The pictures are indeed from that photoshoot, the 'mystery photoshoot' as we called it at the time. A couple of them are in the WDW banner.

Good to see you BBMISwear :-) Hope you had a good holiday. There are lots of releases - DDarko and City Slickers have anniversary releases as you say. Unfortunately, no Source Code here for a few more weeks so I'm making do with Rango, which is out today!

Have a lovely day everyone!

Sword said...

Here you will find the first pictures of the wedding of Stephan Gyllenhaal .... with Jake:)


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018525/Beach-wedding-Gyllenhaals-Jake-Maggie-attend-fathers-beach-ceremony-Hawaii.html

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for the link, Sword :) Lovely pictures! Although not loving the brown....

Anonymous said...

I loved how Stephen hugged and kissed Jake. gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling

sweetpea