Thursday 13 October 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal at the NYC Film Festival (again), Bear Grylls part 2 and Annie Proulx' tips

The London International Film Festival is now underway. On the other side of the pond, the New York City Film Festival is also full steam ahead and, should you be so lucky as to attend one of its screenings and parties, you might want to keep your eyes open. Since supporting Michelle Williams at the premiere of her My Week With Marilyn Film, Jake Gyllenhaal has been seen at two other screenings (and the number could be increasing by the hour).


On Tuesday, Jake was seen at the screening for one of the least memorably named movies around, 'Martha Marcy May Marlene' (or something like that). Note, Jake still hasn't found his contact lenses.
'At the party — also attended by a scruffy Jake Gyllenhaal and “Gossip Girl” star Chace Crawford — the three Olsens “held court at a corner table all night” and toasted Elizabeth’s movie with Bear Flag Wine, an eyewitness told us. Though Elizabeth is quickly entering star territory, she hasn’t mastered one celebri-feat: wearing sky-high heels all night. At the party, she “took off her very high heels and slipped on a pair of moccasins,” our source said. Gyllenhaal, meanwhile, also kept things casual, wearing cargo pants, a long-sleeve tee and glasses to the screening, then skipping the after-party. "I don’t think anyone knew he was there,” the source said. “He clearly did not want to be seen.”'
Last night, it was the turn of 'The Skin I Live In', which stars  Antonio Banderas. At the same screening was David Lynch.


Should Jake fancy taking in more movies, how about a spot of LIFF?

Bear and Jake

Bear Grylls has been talking some more about Jake's appearance in Man Vs Wild. In this interview from Australia, Bear talks about Jake wanting to go for the full monty (in a manner of speaking) and he includes those immortal words 'What happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain'.



And finally...

I really wanted to include a link to this interview with Annie Proulx I saw today in which she gives some tips for those who want to write. It includes a mention of arguably her two most famous creations, Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar.
'Proulx doesn’t mold characters after any real-life people, and when pressed, says only that it’s possible she draws inspiration from what’s happening around her. For example, the characters of Ennis and Jack in “Brokeback Mountain” may have sprung from some unconscious desire to counteract the “John Wayne, right-wing” mindset where she lives in Wyoming that cowboys can only be and act a certain way, she says. “I realize stories I’ve written are contrary to the culture and have a touch of the corrective about them,” she says. “I’m not saying that’s how it is, I’m saying, perhaps.”'

Includes pictures from IHJ.

My review, better late than never hopefully, of I Am Number Four is on MovieBrit.

11 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! Hope you're all having a good day :)

mermon said...

I wonder, if I would be able to focus on a movie, knowing that Jake sits behind my back. I would rather prefer opposite situation, Jake sitting in front of me. Then I could focus on him, not bothering him at all. :)
Talking seriously, same on Jake, not a party animal at all, but attending cinema world. Isn't Jake a kind of jury of the festival or just movie goers?
"What happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain". LOL. That was funny.
I put Anne' writing lessons to my favourites, she started to write after 53, so I may still start as well. :)

TD said...

Who said the mountain thing? Jake or Bear? (I can't open the video)
Ta
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi mermon! That would be extremely distracting. I've been in theatres with Jake a few times over the years and it really is. I remember in particular, the Toronto rendition premiere...

I thought the Anne interview is hugely inspiring. Really made me feel better about my endless attempts. I'll persevere.

Hi there TD! Sorry you can't open the video. There's a link to it as well.. It's an interview with Bear. Hope things are good with you!

Just written a review of I am Number Four on Movie Brit

Michelle Rafter said...

Thanks for linking to my post on Annie Proulx, which I wrote after hearing her lecture here in Portland last month as part of the city's Literary Arts author series. I write nonfiction, but believe that journalists can get as much out of her writing advice as writers of fiction. And if you liked Ennis and Jack, you'd love Dakotah in "Tits Up in a Ditch."

Michelle Rafter

gyllenhaalic4jake said...

When I made this composite of Jake & Heath, I used the Mountain quote basing it on the Vegas one. I had never heard it used before, but it seemed appropriate. There are Tee shirts to that effect, but they have a sheep on them and no reference to BBM..or Man vs Wild.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212658158753631&set=a.212133618806085.58793.212130695473044&type=3&theater

Margot said...

Thanks for the update! Jake has seen two movies recently and I wonder if he liked them?

I also wonder how people get invited to movie premieres/after-parties? Jake and that Gossip Girl actor both seem kind of random for that premiere. lol.

Unknown said...

Sometimes Jake acts like he's one of us. Sneaking into premieres, but trying not to be seen. Like us enjoying a movie but not causing a commotion at the theater.

He seems to enjoy that layed back flair in New York. I hope it does him good and makes him more relaxed.

Thanks for those tips for writing. I will hopefully put them into good use some day.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!

TD said...

Hi WDW, Thanks. Sorry not to say Hi properly, need a proper keyboard occasionally to get stuff done.
Seems like you are doing well with you're writing?
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks so much for saying hello. How wonderful to have seen and heard Annie lecture! Thanks for writing such a wonderful post on it. I'm written in various formats over the years and her words spur me on as I try and gain confidence to try something different. Thanks for the tip - I will take a look! Kate

Hi there G4J :)

Hi Margot! I imagine that agents et get a whole load of invitations and they'll pass them on. Also once Jake's been seen at a couple, I'm sure the invitations will fly in. A real perk of the job! (so long as the films are good, of course...)

Morning Mrs JG! He does act like one of us many times and it is very likeable in him :)

No worries, TD! It's going okish. I need to find more hours in a day...

Have a good day everyone! Friday :) Going to try and see Midnight in Paris tonight.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Have a good night everyone! Went to see Midnight in Paris this evening - very enjoyable.