Wednesday 2 November 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal on washing lettuce and watching things grow

It's always a good day when we have a new interview with Jake Gyllenhaal and today is one of those days. He's not talking about movies, instead it's that ever favourite subject of food. Chic Report talks to Jake (and swoons a little) about his two-year association with Edible Schoolyard and his love of grub and certain vegetables. Jake also mentions his farmer friend in Martha's Vineyard. Having eaten one of his tomatoes (and actually bought the t-shirt), I can vouch for the quality of his greens (and reds).
I was raised in Los Angeles, but I spent my summers, since I was born, in Martha's Vineyard. My best friend, since we were little kids, lives there, and he's a farmer. His whole family farms. I know it might seem odd, but it's what I love more than anything. Being in gardens have been some of the most wonderful times of my life. Washing lettuce and watching things grow...you feel connected to the world. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything that connects you to the universe in the same way that planting a seed does.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of washing lettuce. However, after Jake's recent comments about making Kale Pizzas with schoolkids, there is more mention of this enigmatic green here.
I'd say right now, after an extensive search over the years and living the wonderful life that I've had so far, and after tasting many, many vegetables...cavolo nero. It's like a really soft kale. You can eat it any form: cooked, raw...
Do take a look at the rest of the interview. I can't wait for the next one.


Pictures from the Global Green event back in February 2009 from IHJ. Thanks to Mrs JG for the heads up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are some nice pictures to go with this interview. And such an unexpected treat as Jake does so little interviews when not working.

I wonder if he has finished that script yet?

Susan said...

"The sexiest farmer alive." I must concur.

Maybe he's waiting for a script he can sink his teeth into - one about a bearded farmer who falls in love and saves the world without any time travel involved. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mrs JG! I love these pictures - Jake has such a beautiful smile in them. I wonder too - maybe he's read a few more since then ;)

Me too, Susan! After having no hair in the last role I'm certainly hoping for a little more in the next :)