Friday 16 December 2011

Applause greets End of Watch's test screening, out and about with Jake and WDW's Tuscan Interlude continues

It's one of those good old days when we have a bit of catching up to do with Jake Gyllenhaal. Firstly, End of Watch has had its initial test screening and, thanks to Mermon, we know a little bit about it. One of the lucky people who was there couldn't give much away, as you'd imagine having had to sign umpteen bits of paper, but she did say that there was applause at the end and that it was: 'a mix of Harsh Times, Drive, Cops, and Training Day. Very emotional, funny, and realistic.' Sounds great! And it also sounds nearer...

Thanks to Twitter we also know that Jake was back at Edible Schoolyard this month. A photo has been released of Jake with Edible Schoolyard founder Alice Waters and a bunch of schoolkids who are reaping the benefits of this project.


On 13 December Jake attended a Kanye West and Jay-Z concert in LA where apparently the two stars sang one track ten times. The picture below is courtesy of Jake Weird. There is more information on the star-glittery occasion at the Staples Center here.


While Source Code didn't make the Golden Globes list for some reason known only to single cell organisms, there has been a bit of love for Jake's films this week. As the new Sherlock Holmes film opens, the San Francisco Chronicle has been ruminating on some of Robert Downey Jr's other top movies, including Zodiac. I always enjoying seeing this, quite possibly my favourite of Jake's movies, receiving some love and recognition. Den of Geek has been reflecting on the significance of Source Code for Jake's and Duncan Jones' career and Source Code was among the top 11 films of the year for the Sun-Times. As the year's end draws ever nearer, I am sure there will be more lists with a Jake film on them.


We do like so see Jake in the polls, especially the more outlandish ones. Jake's name makes an appearance in the latest poll from British Airways in which 'Madonna, Brad Pitt, Jake Gyllenhaal, Salma Hayek and Matthew Fox emerged as the top celebrities to spend Christmas with'. Obviously, Jake's a good cook - double bonus - and I'm quite sure he's not above a spot of washing up. It seems appropriate to post another photo of Airport Jake (and Airport Jake Fashion), thanks to IHJ.


WDW Italian Interlude Part 2!

I regret to inform you that the WDW Italian Interlude continues. This time it features Lucca - a beautiful walled Tuscan town which is built on the footprint of a Roman settlement - and Fiesole - a small hilltop town outisde Florence with the most wonderful Roman and Etruscan remains, including a theatre complete with vomitorium. Essential for bad theatre, I'm sure you'll agree.

Lucca's main square isn't square, it's round and that's because it was originally the Roman amphitheatre. When we were there it was taken over by a film crew that seemed to spend an awful amount of time not doing very much (and seemed to follow us around like a bad penny). Trees grow on towers in Lucca.





Fiesole sits high in the clouds, making it a very atmospheric sport for some Roman drama, followed by a dip in the bathhouse.



My review of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is now up at MovieBrit.

11 comments:

mermon said...

Hi, Kate!
It's such a nice feeling to know that audience liked EoW. From all those movies compared to it I know only Drive. Liked it very much. And, like you said, reading about prescreening make EoW release time closer.

"a bearded Jake Gyllenhaal ignored women trying to get his attention as he danced to Jay-Z and West’s music." Hahaha! Looks like he had a good time.

SourceCode - "the most romantic and most daring thriller of the year" - I like that. It's such a pity that SC is not nominated in any category, in any awards so far. It's such a omission.

I like BA poll. From all the people they mentioned I would choose only Jake to spend Christmas with. :)
Thanks for that packed with Jake's infos post and for Italian interlude.

Susan said...

My thanks also, Kate. LOVING the Italian interludes along with all the latest about Jake's whereabouts as he flits from coast to coast and who knows where in between.

I get a kick out of reading the endless year-end lists of this and that but they always make me fuss and complain about what they left out. It's just a warm-up for awards season as I invariably disagree with the choices of winners for whatever the award happens to be.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! I loved the comments from the screening - bodes very well indeed, I think.

Thanks so much, Susan! I do appreciate everyone's indulgence! I enjoy the lists too - I love a good excuse to have a rant :D

lillyrosesNjake said...

WWD...love the pictures from the last 2 posts...truly one of the places (Italy)I would like to see, live and experience before I die. A bowl of pasta, red wine, music..and Jake by my side (smiles)! And if wishes did indeed come true..a side of Clooney on the other side!

Anonymous said...

I loved Fiesole! I've never been to Lucca, but Fiesole is charming. From the roadway, I could look down and see Florence just below.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Lily! Ooh that sounds marvellous :D

Hi 11:23 - Fiesole was wonderful. A great cafe at the Roman museum as well. The views were patchy when we were there because of some very atmospheric and spooky wisps of cloud. The next day though we climbed up for spectacular views :)

I hope everyone's having a good Saturday. Just got back from Sherlock Holmes - a lot of fun :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

My review of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is now up at MovieBrit if you're interested :)

Darling Bluebell said...

I regret to inform you that the WDW Italian Interlude continues.
I for one don't regret it at all! :-) Your photos are beautiful Kate, thanks so much for sharing them with us. Did you realise that square in Lucca was the same one where TopGear started their Italian adventure in one of the latest seasons? :-)

Spending Christmas with Jake... just the thought! I bet he's very romantic. What a dream.

Have a nice Sunday everyone! I'm glad the winter solstice is near, that means we're heading towards spring and summer again. With lovely Italian interludes like these, I'm sure we'll survive the winter. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Lady Ekster! I'll post some pictures from beautiful Florence in a couple of days! I didn't know that abut Lucca! I must look out for that - I must have missed that one. I can see why they picked it but I certainly wouldn't want to drive round Lucca - the streets are tiny and really bendy!

I am SO glad the winter solstice is almost here!

Jules said...

Lovely to see my country through your eyes, Kate.

Jules

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Jules :) You live in such a beautiful country. It's very easy to fall in love with the place. Florence photos to come! (and the wine's not bad either...)