Sunday 6 May 2012

'Months and months of blood, sweat and tears' David Ayer on Jake Gyllenhaal getting it right for End of Watch

Everything's hotting up for End of Watch! Directing David Ayer has been talking about Jake Gyllenhaal's performance in the film and how he was so authentic during these apparently camera-less scenes, he was accepted by authentic LA police crews driving past the set.


'Ayer recalled, "Cops in LA will do a hand sign with four fingers to say 'everything's good.' Jake threw a 'Code Four' at some LAPD cops rolling by and they threw a 'Code Four' back. I don't think they had any idea it was Jake Gyllenhaal!"'


"Jake put his heart and soul into the training," Ayer said. "There are a thousand subtle things cops do, and I wanted Jake to have the body language and presence of an LAPD officer." Ayer called the training process "months and months of blood, sweat and tears, and it enabled Jake and Mike to be so believable together."


"Everybody films everything in their lives these days," Ayer said, "Even the bad guys!" As a result, Gyllenhaal and Peña were required to not only be convincing cops, but also cameramen. Ayer said, "A couple scenes are entirely Jake's camera work. He got pretty good by the end!"

You can read the full feature here, where we can also see one of the first publicity stills from End of Watch.


One of the lucky members of the audience of the first screenings of End of Watch, so many months before the release, has recorded their glowing report here. It is spoiler-free. Thanks to Mermon for the links and thanks to IHJ for the screencaps from the trailer. I've picked some of my favourites here.

13 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! Hope you've had a good weekend. I've been travelling so very pleased that tomorrow is a Bank Holiday :)

Susan said...

Thanks for the post, Kate. Hearing so many good things about EoW is amazing!

Ruby said...

Hello. Thanks for keeping us up to speed with EoW news. I'm quite looking forward to this one. And I love that second pic in the post ;-)

mermon said...

Nice of David Ayer to say those things about Jake. I wonder why he focused mainly on Jake. But anyway, Jake is a joker, so maybe he alone took his chance to fool cops and he succeed. David is one more director who praises Jake. It means something, isn't it?
I like that review of the movie. Seems everything is like it should be, nice balance between cop's life and personal life.
What I don't like - there are some stupid comments under David Ayer interview!

BBMISwear said...

I too am loving all the EoW bits. I've watched the trailer quite a few times now...it makes me wish for a second trailer (ha ha)! But that would be greedy since getting one now is quite the gift so I shouldn't be asking for another one already, right?!

Hope you had a good weekend and extra day off WDW!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evening everyone! Hope you all had a good day!

My pleasure, Susan!

Yeay, great to see you here, Rubes! And yep, that is very much your Jake there!

Hi Mermon :) It makes sense I suppose for Ayer to focus on Jake who's the film's most well-known name. It is a shame that many of these features have such moronic comments.

hello BBMISwear :-) I'm sure we'll get a second trailer soon enough - I wouldn't mind a second poster...

Been quite a day! Terrible weather and then this afternoon we got a tornado travel across the village! Unbelievable. Frightening too. I couldn't believe my eyes. Fortunately noone was hurt. What a day...

paulh said...

IMDB has a link to the first trailer for "End of Watch." Since the film won't be in theaters until September, that means a lot of moviegoers will be seeing it during the summer blockbuster films.

Yesterday I saw "The Avengers." There were at least four major Jake links in the cast:

Robert Downey Jr. -- Zodiac
Mark Ruffalo -- Zodiac
Dwynneth Paltrow -- Proof
Clark Gregg -- Lovely and Amazing

[Now let's see if I can even get this posted. It's getting very hard to read the tricky anti-robot stuff]

BBMISwear said...

A tornado WDW? Yikes! It sounds like all is okay but scary. Stay safe!! P.S. You made me laugh with wishing for second poster - absofreakinglutely!!!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! What a busy day - hope you all had a good one :)

Sorry about the anti-robot device, Paul. Without it, though, the site is flooded by spam and I can't keep up with it to delete it. Thanks for sticking with it :)

I know, BBMISwear, it was flippin' terrifying! All over the news today. Hopefully we won't see another of those round here for another 50 years... we didn't even have any heat with it... Want some heat! Yes,another poster please :-)

Hagen said...

Interesting article in the New York Times: David Ayer’s ‘End of Watch,’ in Los Angeles Grit

Nancy Hsu said...

I saw Jake on the R train today at 23rd st headed downtown, he was wearing a very large beard, a navy blue boston red sox cap, listening to his ipod, and wearing a backpack. I wasnt sure if it was him so I pretended to get off the train right next to the door where he was sitting and our eyes met! Definitely cannot miss those eyes of his! He seemed like he was lonely and wanted to be recognized....seeing him made my day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Sorry for no post last night - out having a very fine time with Ruby :)

Thanks for the link, Hagan, and welcome!

That's fantastic, Nancy!! You are so lucky! Thanks so much for sharing that with us :)

Have a good day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Kate,I'm late as usual but I hope that you and all your loved one weren't too scared and now you're doing well!
Big hugs
Carlotta