Tuesday 5 June 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal rushes back to set and a WDW Interlude with added bunting...

Never one to let the dust settle beneath his feet, Jake Gyllenhaal is back on set in Toronto filming An Enemy. It looks like he's still in a rush.


In an interview with the Toronto Standard, another star of An Enemy, Sarah Gadon, has been talking about whether or not she would like to read the novel by José Saramago on which it's based before shooting. Her answer may be a teeny spoilery so be warned:


'I am curious. Sometimes I am wary of reading the source material before I craft my ideas about a character. Because I find that I don’t want to be couched and confined by that description because I’m a person and I will ultimately bring more to that character than a character description. When Denis was showing us some of our camera tests, there was a shot of me pregnant and standing in this lighting he had devised. He said, “This, you can’t write.” And I think that you can’t write certain things that you can show in film. That’s clearly my defence of cinema, and my argument for why it’s a singular artform.'

WDW Jubilee Interlude

This weekend, in the UK we have been celebrating the Queen giving us an extra day off work - that and the fact that it's her Diamond Jubilee. It was difficult walking around Oxford yesterday without stumbling into a street party. They became especially easy to stumble into after a few pimms. We visited a couple yesterday, the first being at one of our very favourite pubs, where we were entertained with the most delicious little cakes and Oxford University's Gilbert and Sullivan singers, who were superb.






Secondly, we went to a street party in Jericho, Oxford, which, for some reason, was attended by an awful lot of pirates. This party included barrels of beer and a full line-up of singers, no doubt rivalling the Queen's Concert. We didn't stay too long due to fears that all that Hook Norton ale might make me pass out.




And it didn't even rain...

18 comments:

Susan said...

Another great post, Kate. Yes, it does look like Jake enjoys rushing about.

Congrats to the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee. All celebrations of such longevity should involve an extra day off work. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Susan! I'm hoping someone can persuade the Queen to let us have the rest of the week off....

mermon said...

Good times. It may be a post every day. I love that time of Jake's making a movie! Those pics of running Jake are extremely funny to me.
Because of your tweets I watched the Jubilee concert last night. I was impressed by Queen who came late at evening to show herself to the saluting/cheering crowd. Charles' speech was surprisingly humorous, from what I understood.

Anonymous said...

Happy to see bearded running Jake and very happy to see your lovely pics!!!Great post and great Jubilee, have a nic week!
Kisses
Carlotta

Wet Dark and Wild said...

The pics are so funny, Mermon! It was a pretty dreadful concert but there were some saving moments..

Thanks, Carlotta, and you too!

Hagen said...

I wonder, if "An Enemy" will resemble "Incendies", Denis Villeneuve's latest movie. Not the story, of course, but Villeneuve's directing style, for example his preference for rather long takes.

"End of Watch" finally has a release date in Germany: December 20th .

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Hagen - and thanks for the German date :)

ANTJE said...

Hmmmmm, does he wear a fatsuit while filming???

BBMISwear said...

I've been trying to keep up with the many pictures, sightings and posts on line (lots of great stuff and great updates here WDW) but I haven't had a second to comment. Brokie friends from near and far spent 3+ days in Boston recently which was a lot of fun but made for a very busy time. Phew! Team Brokeback raised $3,000 by walking in the Boston Aids Walk on Sunday - complete with a personal note on Facebook to us from Diana Ossana!! She is amazing for so many reasons!!

It's good to be back to "normal" (whatever that is) and have a little time each day to check on the Jake happenings - he seems as busy as ever.

I hope Jake is finding time at night to relax and enjoy the Celtics winning game after game after game - Lakers Who?! Ha Ha! Yay Paul Pierce for last night and the rest of the team - back to Boston Thursday night - whooowheee! (Sorry to the non-U.S. NBA following people - Jake would understand - hee hee)!!

Thanks for the updates WDW - it's helped to keep me in the loop during my busy times away from my computer. And happy belated Jubilee to all those who celebrated!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Antje! Maybe he does but I think it's just the angle of the photographs here :) Made me chuckle.

Good to see you, BBMISwear :-) Congratulations to you all for the walk. Brokies are the best, they really are. That's so nice of Diana, too. The UK is gearing up for rather a lot of sport...... ;)

I hope everyone's having a good day. Not good to be back at work :(

ANTJE said...

Jake Gyllenhaal is not a stranger to wearing fatsuits in films. Remember the scene in BBM near the end when "Ennis" and "Jack" argue and finally fall out?? Jakey DOES wear a fatsuit indeed here. But it's okay. Both the short story and the screenplay tell about "Jack" having gained weight over the years.
;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anthe! Yes, the fatsuit in BBM is famous! Must have been an odd thing to wear (and very nice to take off). Sorry, I thought you were referring before to a fatsuit in An Enemy :)

Have a good day everyone! Atrocious weather here again :(

ANTJE said...

Oh, no, no, no, I WAS referring to this photograph showing Jake on the set of AN ENEMY while he is running across the street. A few friends of mine have examined the photograph, too. And they agree with me that he is wearing a fatsuit (or whatever) under his shirt. One even remarked: "He cannot have gained so much weight between his last visit to NYC and returning to Toronto just one day later. It MUST be one of those bizarre fatsuits."
;-))

Susan said...

I had forgotten about the extra padding in BBM, too, although it's quite noticeable every time I re-watch it. I suppose it makes sense that Jake's school teacher character in An Enemy might be less physically active than his motorcycle riding alter ego (Adam/Anthony) and therefore a little heavier. Will also make it easier to tell which one is which as they start to cross each other's path in the movie. It could also explain why he looks a little awkward in those pics of him running across the street - maybe the character is unused to chasing anyone. I haven't read the book the movie is based on, but I'm very anxious to see how he plays the dual role and what mannerisms can tell them apart.

Hagen said...

I suppose it makes sense that Jake's school teacher character in An Enemy might be less physically active than his motorcycle riding alter ego (Adam/Anthony) and therefore a little heavier.

According to the official synopis Adam and Anthony are physically identical. Adam's shirt has a rather loose fit, but I don't think that Jake is wearing a fatsuit on that pic.

Hagen said...

"End of Watch" Poster

Well, probably not the best pic of Jake, but still a cool poster. ;)

I think they should move the release date of "End of Watch" to avoid competition with "Looper".

ANTJE said...

Very well, fatsuit or no fatsuit - the only thing that matters is that Jake's performance is as brilliant as ever.
;-)))

Can't wait for the German release of END OF WATCH. Thank God it's still this year.

ANTJE said...

ooooh, dear Hagen, thank you so much for the link to the poster.
(I could write in German to you, Landsmann, but the others should be able to read the post, too, yep.)