Tuesday 28 May 2013

Jake Gyllenhaal gets on his bike and a WDW historic interlude!

All is quiet on the Jake Gyllenhaal front. IMDb appears to confirm that Jake may well be appearing as Cinderella's Prince in Into the Woods (lucky Cinders) but otherwise Jake has been focusing on living his life in NYC. But he has been glimpsed and that was cycling about the city. Thanks to IHJ for the photo (taken on 23 May).


WDW historic interlude

In the absence of news, I thought I'd 'entertain' you with a few photos from our very hot and sunny Bank Holiday weekend. It's been raining persistently for days but kindly it decided to take a rest for the three-day holiday. The downside of this is that I now look like a giant red blushing lobster. The weekend had a historical theme, which meant it started off with Chedworth Roman Villa.



We then drove down the road to Hailes Abbey, a beautiful abbey that once housed a reliquary said to contain the blood of Christ. Cromwell had it tested, found it wanting and wreaked havoc on the buildings during the Reformation.




Next to the Abbey a small church, older than the Abbey, survives and it contains the most wonderful wall paintings.





The next day, we watched the famous Sealed Knot re-enactors redo the English Civil War  battle for Woodstock at Blenheim Palace (the site of the old palace of Woodstock during the Middle Ages). It's many years since I've spent a day cheering on Royalists and Roundheads (can never make up my mind between them) with the Sealed Knot. I can certainly vouch for their taste in real ale. It appears to give them the powers of eternal life - not one was killed and stayed killed...





It was then time for the really important business - cricket.


9 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hope you all have a good evening!

Claire said...

Yay! No face pet, that's what I like to see :-)

Loving the bank holiday get away pictures, at least we had good weather for a change. I know I've not commented for a while but I've been following all the posts - its kept me sane whilst doing my degree, so thank you! *cheers loudly*
Claire

Susan said...

Hi Kate! LOVING your historic interlude pics. (One of these days I'm going to learn something about the history of the British Isles that has nothing to do with a movie about Robin Hood - I promise!) So happy you had great weather.

We had lovely weather this past weekend, but sadly I was oblivious to it as I was battling a nasty stomach bug. Can barely look at food even today...

Nice to see Jake out and about. Hope he's enjoying the weather too.

BBMISwear said...

Hello - nice post - I especially like the cricket photo (not for the cricket but for the beautiful scenery)! We had a lovely (rainy) long weekend here which was spent somewhat "into the woods" up in Maine (yes, pun intended). We didn't let the rain get us down as we ate really good food, drank really good wine and cheered the Boston Bruins on in the Stanley Cup playoffs (only hockey people will get this part - ha ha)!

Yes, very little Jake news these days and I keep telling myself this is a good thing as we need to rest up for what is to come once promotion for An Enemy and Prisoners starts - we'll no doubt have something new to read, see, watch, and listen to every single day - love that!!

Hope everyone here is doing well...I'm gearing up for the annual Boston Aids Walk this weekend and it's been somewhat of a yearly tradition now that many Brokies come to Boston to be a part of it and meet up with other Brokies from near and far. It will be great to see people I haven't seen in a long time as well as meet some new Brokies - I can't believe after 7 years I am still meeting new Brokies - amazing!

Eyes peeled for new Jake news soon - it can't be long now, right?!

:-)

Karen said...

Hi Kate, haven't posted a comment for a while but still come here regularly to get updates!
Thought I would say hello and let you know I am expecting baby number 2 in October and have permission if its a boy to name him Jake, ha ha! Hi to Sheba and everyone else x

ANTJE said...

A sunburn, Kate??

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for the comments and for being so kind about the photos :)

Good to see you, Claire! I;m glad that we're doing you good - best of luck with the studies :)

Thank you so much, Susan! I'm sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope you feel better soon!

Hey BBMISwear :-) Glad you like the cricket shot! (a proper sport ;D). We've had a very wet week so that's made up for the sunshine. Sounds like Maine was lovely. Good luck with the walk!! So great to spend time with the Brokies.

ooh, Karen, that is fantastic!! Many congratulations. Great about the name!

Very sunburnt, Antje but it seems to be going almost brown now. Got a few comments at work...

I hope you all have a lovely evening!

Anonymous said...

I love your interludes. Never stop posting them.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you so much, 14:00 :) That is so kind of you!