Saturday 6 July 2013

Jake Gyllenhaal celebrates Independence Day in the Kitchen, Prisoners gets a UK release date and a WDW Interlude

In the US it is, of course,the Independence Day holiday weekend. This does not mean that aliens invade the country's cities while cigar-smoking heroes blast them to smithereens under the direction of Roland Emmerich. But it does mean a chance to celebrate freedom from British rule while shedding tears over having to call chips fries and crisps chips. It appears that Jake Gyllenhaal is spending the holiday (or at least part of it) in one of his very favourite places - Martha's Vineyard. We know how Jake spent his summer holidays as a teen helping out in restaurants on the islandd, it looks as though he's doing the same thing now. Every penny helps. It's possible that my eyes deceive me, but isn't that Jake's old friend, Chris? Photo thanks to IHJ.


With thanks to Mermon for the heads up, we have release dates for Prisoners and it looks like some of us won't have to wait as long as normal. The film is out in the US on 20 September but now has the release date in the UK of 4 October - just a fortnight later. Good news! Although, as we know, these things have a habit of changing.

Incidentally, if you're in the UK and have LoveFilm Instant, I believe that Prince of Persia is now available to watch.

WDW Interlude

The weather has been hot and muggy this week which doesn't just mean that Wimbledon can behave itself and get the games played but that events don't get rained off for a change. Last weekend we attended the Chalke Valley History Festival in deepest Wiltshire, although most of our day visit was spent queuing up in a very hot car waiting to get in while catching glimpses of a WW1 dog fight being fought above our heads, through the tree canopy... When we eventually got it, there were historical experts to see, London mayors to laugh at, bubbles to drink and cakes to eat.





Below are the very familiar faces of Tom Holland and Dan Snow.


Mayor of London Boris got the chair.


On the way home we passed a small church I had to stop an photograph.


I'm off to Rome for a few days on Monday so it's a near certainty that photos will follow of a bunch of old stones...

23 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

What a glorious weekend! I won't be moving from the tennis tomorrow, however... I'm off to Rome on Monday for a few days but I will be about, hotel internet permitting.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates during the last few weeks, Kate. I'm sorry I haven't commented for quite a long time. Looks like you had a good time during your trip. Have fun watching the tennis match tomorrow. Enjoy Rome ! I'm looking forward to your photos. Always like them very much. I'm heading to Italy (not to Rome) myself on Thursday for a few days.
Christina

ANTJE said...

Oh dear, Jakey and his kitchen-pals DO look a little ... well ... tipsy!!! Don't they? And is it really sparkling pure mineral water I can spot in Jake's plastic beaker?? Hmmmm.

Great text/comment, Kate. As always I'm very amused about your wit and stylistic irony. It's sooooooo very British. What would poor old King George III. up in Heaven think if he read your comments about Independence Day??
;-)

Anonymous said...

Have a nice time in Rome Kate! And the UK is having it's best week of sun ever...I'm off to La Suisse again end July to see my sis! Can't wait!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Thanks to people in Martha's Vineyard snapping pics of Jake, we can enjoy his new shave and hair cut and more skin revealing duds. Don't know which one is hotter, the weather or Jake. I'm thinking Jake.

Maria said...

Great photos!!! Love this look, haircut and scruff are perfect.

BBMISwear said...

The pictures that are surfacing of Jake on MV are such a joy to see - the perfect look (IMO), scruff (no full beard), longer than usual hair, and casual summer clothes showing that bod. Nice! The most recent ones of him and Alyssa at the Chilmark General Store reminded me so much of you and I, Kate - how much we loved that store with all the bits it had to offer and the lovely front porch and rocking chairs to sit in and take in the scene. We didn't get to see Jake when there, unfortunately - what lucky patrons who did this weekend, huh?!

So you're off to Rome - how nice! Thanks for the interlude with what you've been up to - and you made me laugh out loud at this: "shedding tears over having to call chips fries and crisps chips" - so funny!

I hope Jake gets to stay on MV a bit longer - it's so lovely there right now and we all know how hard he worked the past year or so (and will be working a lot again this fall) - he needs the break I'm sure!

Cheers and happy summer! :-)

Anonymous said...

I believe that might be Jake on the left . . if you compare the other kitchen pic you have here. Sure looks like him . . .

http://instagram.com/p/bh5vj7Qf8q/#

Note who's account this is from. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone from beautiful, sunny, hot Rome! Thanks so much for the comments and links. I really like the kitchen ones.

hi BBMISwear :-) I haven't seen those! I must find them! I loved that store. A great place to chill out and relax. It is surreal, though. I remember that a film director and producer were having a chat in the next chairs! What a time we had. looks like Jake is having a great break.

Have a good day! I'm off to Ostia today to take a look at more lovely ruins :)

Anonymous said...

He's been looking after Alyssa's dog by the looks of it too. Does he not have his onw dogs too?
Amanda

ANTJE said...

@Amanda
Seems that good old ATTICUS (with the floppy ear) had to stay in Los Angeles when Jake moved to NYC last year.

Anonymous said...

Shame about Atticus, I guess he meets up with him when he's in LA
Amanda

BBMISwear said...

I like the dog pictures - especially that Boston Red Sox cap he is wearing! Yay Jake! :-)

ANTJE said...

Hi girls!
I like the doggie pictures, too (even though they're pap-pics!!) - but I appreciate specially that while waiting for the dog to do a poo Jake is nibbling on his headphones cord - yet again!! Seems to be a funny, little, eccentric habit of his, but in a way veeeeeeery appealing. Hope he won't get electrocuted one day when he bites too hard and dissects the cord. Heaven forbid!
;-))

Anonymous said...

Jake can nibble on my neck instead if he wants something to get his teeth into... :-)

Amanda

PS way too hot weather here to contemplate that too much!! ;-)

ANTJE said...

@Amanda

You ARE naughty, girl!
;-)
;-)
;-)
;-)

maria said...

New photos on iheartjake, alyssa and Jake make a beautiful couple.

ANTJE said...

@Maria
This is strictly private. Jake's private life should remain, well, private.

Mn said...

Maria just mentioned there were new photos of Jake on IHJ wasn't gossiping about Jake's private life
here.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! I had a fantastic time in Rome and surprisingly come home home to a hot summer :)

Thanks for the comments. I do want to say that although gossip isn't permitted here, that doesn't mean that we can't talk about new photos and what Jake's doing in them. The new photos are lovely! So thanks, Maria, for letting us know they're there. I can't post any here as they're behind the registration wall but if you log on to IHJ you can see them there.

I do appreciate your support, Antje, in my anti-gossip drive :)

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. New post coming shortly with lots of Rome photos (I'm sorry ;D). I doubt I've left a ruin unseen...

Maria said...

@Mn, thx. Didn't want to gossip!

Maria said...

@kate, looking forward to your Rome photos too!

Jules said...

I wish I had checked here sooner, I would have loved to meet you and show you more ruins :-) Isn't my city amazing? if you don't have to live its daily chaotic mess, that is... :-)

Looking forward to the piccies.

J.