Tuesday 12 November 2013

Updated update: Jake Gyllenhaal on Ben Kingsley for BAFTA in LA, a Nailed update and Nightcrawler talk

There's no denying that it's with a heavy heart that I pick up WDW and Jake again after the last few sad days. But it was Jake who brought Mermon into our lives and I am sure she would want the community to continue to enjoy his work. I hope so. So here's a post recapping a little of what Jake Gyllenhaal has been up to.

Updated update: When the set fights back.... Thankfully, it sounds like Jake's all right (unlike the mirror).

Update: Here's some news on Everest.

Jake made a little video to praise PoP co-star Ben Kingsley for the BAFTA Britannia awards in LA and you can watch that here, if the embedded link below won't work for you. You can read a full report of the rather salubrious event here.

Britannia Gyllenhaal from BAFTA LA on Vimeo.

Jake has been hard at work (and being thin) for Nightcrawler. There's an audio interview on the NPR site that you can listen to and download. Among other things, Jake discusses the schedule of Nightcrawler. It sounds punishing and (quite probably) soon to be over:


'Well, this movie in particular ... it's a smaller-budget film. And we're shooting this movie in 28 days, which is a short amount of time to make a film. The only shorter film I've made is 22 days, which was this film called End of Watch ... [where] we spent most of our waking and non-waking time making the movie. You know, it was sort of like a bender the whole time. This movie's very similar. So we push as the week goes on. We start at 6 a.m. on Monday. [Now it's] a Thursday night, and we'll probably go until 3 or 4 a.m. to finish it off.'


This week we've had the rather surprising news that the MPAA have given Nailed a certificate - an even more surprising PG13. Reports that this film might be revived have been as regular as buses over the last few years and I greet each one with a curious mix of a smile and grimace. But the evidence is building that the  project might be released in some form at some time, even if it won't be quite the end result we were expecting. If it's a PG13 then it certainly won't be what I was expecting. But, as I have said repeatedly, time will tell.


This post contains photos of Jake Watching the LA Lakers take on the Minnesota Timberwolves at the Staples Center in LA on Sunday night. Thanks so much to IHJ for these lovely smiley pictures.

23 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Afternoon, everyone :)

Susan said...

Hi Kate. I'm sure Mermon would be happy to know that the Gyllenhaalic community continues to come together on WDW and share our enjoyment for his immense talent. I'll miss her so much!
Nightcrawler sounds like a very intense experience, probably a good thing for the type of story it is. I wonder when it will be released?
As for Nailed - I've been vocal about wanting to see it, but with all its troubles and woes, I'm not hoping for a theatrical release. Straight to disc will be just fine! It must be that whoever owns the film at this point is hoping to cash in and make a few dollars since Jake has received so much positive attention for Prisoners. I have been longing for something from Jake that is a little lighter, more comedic for a change, but Nailed may be a messy embarrassment. I still want to see it...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Susan! I will miss Mermon's comments though. She'd love this because of Ben Kingsley.

I doubt very much that they'd release Nailed in the cinemas. i think most of us would stand far more chance of seeing it if it went straight to DVD. I love the script to Nailed but I do worry with a PG13 rating what they've done to it!

Susan said...

I'm curious, Kate, about your expectations for Nailed. Were you expecting a sort of screwball comedy or a satirical sendup of political shenanigans? Did you originally expect it to receive an R rating? I am unfamiliar with the script, so what was the original concept?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Susan! It's a while since I read the script but it's got a few (very funny) sex scenes and also Jessica's character is a nymphomaniac (literally), so I was expecting a 15 certificate at least. Sounds like they might have been going more for the screwball comedy side of it rather than a more adult comedy. I'm definitely not expecting any political satire ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just updated the post with a link to news on Everest. Sounds like it's been in some trouble but hope may be in sight. I hope so. This is the project I'm looking forward to the most.

Unknown said...

From now on Jake's movies will be divided for me. Into the ones I discussed with Mermon and the ones I didn't.

And it still feels a bit awkward to "fangirl", but we all understand that fun and a bit of lightness makes it "easier" to cope with loosing a friend. Especially one whom I met here.

So a lighter comedy with Jake is definitely something I look forward too right now.

Susan said...

I am glad the Everest news is positive and hope they can get back on schedule to film it. It could be another big success for Jake.

Karen said...

Hello Kate, haven't been here for while due to the birth of my son on 27th October, 9 lbs, named Jake after the man himself. Hoping he grows up into a lovely young man like Mr Gyllenaal.
Just been catching up on here, so sorry to hear Mermon has died and so young, such sad news. My thoughts are with you and her family x

Karen said...

Sorry for spelling mistake - Mr Gyllenhaal I meant!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I so agree, Sasha. A lighter film would be good!

That is absolutely wonderful news, Karen! Congratulations! Thanks so much for sharing it with us x

ANTJE said...

So sad to hear about Mermon's untimely death.
She was forty years old?
I'm 42 ... ... ...
No more comment needed, I guess.
:-(

Sonja said...

Hi Karen,

Congratulations! You named your son Jake? Aw, how sweet!
It's lovely to read that news after the sad news we had earlier...

Good luck!

Unknown said...

there is an interview with Peter travers I only caught the end of the interview for a prisoner, can you post it?

Karen said...

Hi Sonja

Thanks, yes named him Jake and he has been a good boy so far! Everyone who knows me knows why I named him Jake!

x

Anonymous said...

Jake was injured on the set of "Nightcrawler" he smashed a mirror and cut his hand.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20755749,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks, Antje.

Hi Sonja!

Do you mean this one danielle? It's not available in the UK so I can't see it, unfortunately.

I love that you called your baby Jake, Karen!

Thankfully it doesn't sound to serious, Sweetpea, from the reports I read. But not good....

ANTJE said...

Jake had to be rushed to hospital? Suffering for his (performing) art, is he not??!!! Hope he is okay and not in too much pain.

Maria said...

Saw the new photos on IHJ. He looks so much better now. Looking forward to the Everest movie.

ANTJE said...

@Maria
Yeah, he has gained a little weight again. And his left hand is bandaged up. The poor love.
By the way, I'm not soooo sure about EVEREST.

Sonja said...

Why not, Antje?

Anonymous said...

Since the information didn’t make its way to this blog: it’s been reported by Variety and Deadline that "Everest" is set to start shooting on January 13, 2014 in Italy. Everest stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Scott Fischer, Josh Brolin as Beck Weathers, Jason Clarke as Rob Hall, and John Hawkes as Doug Hansen. Shooting starts January 13 in the Dolomites in Italy and will continue in Nepal and Iceland.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello Antje, Maria and Sonja!

Thanks 18:22, unfortunately I've been too ill to update over the last few days but back now.