Friday 25 May 2007

Imagine you're Jake Gyllenhaal

So what do you do if you're an actor who can't act and you need inspiration every time you tread on the boards? One thing's for certain, such an actor is not Jake Gyllenhaal, but Jake can be that inspiration. I was amused to read of a new satirical play - This is a Play - which looks like a bad play but is instead all about a bad, method actor who can only get by by pretending he is Jake Gyllenhaal. The picture below, however, is not from this, instead it's from the party that accompanied Jake's own celebrated debut on the West End stage in This is our Youth in March 2002.


But back to This is a Play... Written by Canadian playwright, Daniel McIvor, the satirical This Is a Play 'follows the backstage antics of three nameless actors: a young starlet (played by Lotte St Clair); an older actress (played by Janine Penfold); and a young male actor, Phipps, who psyches himself up by thinking of Jake Gyllenhaal. Together, they star in a play reminiscent of a Tennessee Williams melodrama.' "He doesn't have a name, he's just called male actor," say Phipps of his character. "I'd say unbelievably stupid is the best way to describe him. He's just so immersed in theatre that even he can't see it's a really terrible play [he's starring in]. But this is his life and he's a method actor and he'll think about Jake Gyllenhaal every time he walks on stage to really pump himself up. And he'll get so carried away, thinking about his own performance, and every five minutes he's just congratulating himself on his good acting and that's the way he gets through the scene. Maybe stupid isn't the word ... just blinded by his own talent, which there really isn't very much of to begin with."

So you can think of Jake Gyllenhaal all the time and that makes you a method actor. Phipps is on the right below.


The play is being presented by The Darlinghurst Theatre Company, Sydney.

Picture from IHJ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought I would just mention, when I went on the Darling Hurst Theatre website, in their desciption in the coming soon section about this play, I was surprised to notice that it seems to say something differently, and doesn't mention that the character "thinks of Jake Gyllenhaal to psyche himself into each performance".....it say's instead, that he's thinking of De Niro"! Hope you don't mind me pointing that out....

It so happens that I am somewhat aware of this Canadian playwright, Daniel McIvor, since I'm from Canada myself. A few years ago, I seen him perform in a one man theatrical play, portraying 2 or 3 different characters all in the same show. McIvor has also been in a few Canadian movies as well.

Once again, I think this Jake blog is awesome, and you do a great job!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Jan - thanks very much!

Thanks for the extra information on Daniel McIvor, whom I wasn't at all familiar with.

I saw that about Robert de Niro in the website and I was in two minds about whether to mention that or not. I decided that because the actor Phipps focused on Jake, that suggests an extra dimension - that Phipps himself has an image of Jake in his head while playing this nameless actor who also has Jake (probably) in his head. Clearly, Jake is Phipps' motivation. As a fan of satire, I love all this play within a play, role within a role interplay.

Thanks for commenting, Jan, it's an interesting one.

Anonymous said...

I didn't notice a place to comment with the last post, but I just wanted to say thanks for providing the videos of Cannes! Jake is so adorable I'm at a loss for words.
There are a lot of physically beautiful people in the world. Jake's physical beauty comes from inside. He's just not like anyone else I've ever seen. He just takes my breath away! I thought by now I would get used to looking at him. I haven't.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for the comment Bobbyanna - I'm really glad you liked the videos. I just can't get enough of them myself.

You're right about Jake - there are a lot of beautiful people in the world but when Jake's around there's nowhere else to look.